• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider PC |OT| Hello... it's me.

Basketball

if your ears get tired of reboot Lara's voice and the bad acting

you can change the voice language

I experimented with all of them and all the voices are superior than the english Luddington trash except Mandarin/Spanish

Best choices are

Polish - it fits so well, easy to listen to
Russian- fits area
Japanese- Fits Lara, somewhat like Classic lara

Kezen

Banned
The game is really impressive visually. The Prophet's Tomb is quite a sight.

Sadly, I don't have the hardware right now to remedy the shader aliasing.
The Geforce guide mentions a quite unfortunate side effect of dynamic foliage : they make aliasing stand out because of their movement.

Hmmmm I get the stutter on very high with a 970. I wish there was a setting in between High and Very High cus Very High uses about 4GB according to afterburner while High only uses 2.7GB.

Lime

Still in the beginning of the game but I don't get why Lara is the same character she was in the previous game. It's like she hasn't evolved or developed as a character at all. She still sighs and exasperates like she's dying for air, she still acts all weak and severely challenged, she hugs herself when she's cold, she tries to be motivational to herself just like the first game, and so forth.

That type of character made sense in the first game since it was a reboot and made this younger woman be faced with experiences she's never faced before. But after being through everything, and going on adventures by herself and being determinate in her quest for whatever McGuffin this game's about, it is severely jarring to see the character still acting weak and tortured. It's like she's still the same character from the first game that is crying and moaning at every scripted explosion or fall she goes through.

It's quite disappointing to see, honestly, because (1) it means that there's no character development in this rebooted series for the main character, and (2) it maintains one of my biggest reservations with how the reboot gendered gaming's most prominent female character as a vulnerable, soft heroine that cries all the time.

I like just got credit from GMG a day ago for missing the 27% off coupon for this game and now they discount it even further? I hope they don't screw me because that's really shit for people who support a product before it's even out to get a worse deal than people who bought later.

In what way? No idea how you can look at a shot like this:

which looks absolutely amazing in motion, and is realtime no less, and say that it's not mindblowing? For instance typically when you zoom in on wounds in games you lose detail, in that shot you see how the cut digs into her skin like a cut actually should. Most games don't even have actual cuts but just blood. Along with stuff like the particle effects, tessellated snow, HBAO+, the game is absolutely mindblowing.

Eden that really doesn't impress me. Even in that shot you have low res textures and bad skin shaders. Her eyes look great but the whole shots in total just aren't amazing. I think WC3 looks far better and more impressive as an overall image and for character models The Order is a significant step ahead.

Totally respect your opinion its just not doing it for me though.

viveks86

The starting sequence was such a snoozefest and the storytelling seems just as crappy as the reboot. No personality whatsoever. Not sure why I bought this. Think I'm getting too old for mindless action games, especially ones that take themselves too seriously. Might just refund it and get back to the Witness and SOMA. Sigh...

The line "I've lost too many friends, I don't want to lose you too" almost makes me want to uninstall this game. The writing and acting are really bad. In fact, the entire Jonah and Lara "drama" scene at the mansion is just incredibly poorly executed.

Great graphics though.

Edit: wow and then she clears the desk in anger. I'm baffled.

I was hoping this game would take itself a little less seriously but I guess it's just like TR 2013. I'm still excited to play it but I totally get your frustration.

In what aspects?

Preferably with non-blurry pictures to prove the points.

I think they are rather similar with hair being better in Tomb Raider.

Skin looks more real to me. Lighting looks better but its probably pre-baked. Hair looks better in stills but animates more impressively in Tomb Raider. Eyes are incredible. The emotion the faces can exhibit is extremely impressive as well. I don't know enough of the technical aspects though unfortunately.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Eden that really doesn't impress me. Even in that shot you have low res textures and bad skin shaders. Her eyes look great but the whole shots in total just aren't amazing. I think WC3 looks far better and more impressive as an overall image and for character models The Order is a significant step ahead.

Totally respect your opinion its just not doing it for me though.
In what way specifically? Witcher 3 is my favorite open world game ever but because of its structure it doesn't look as good and in the Order o certainly wouldn't agree that it looks better especially in terms of facial animation.

Lime

I was hoping this game would take itself a little less seriously but I guess it's just like TR 2013. I'm still excited to play it but I totally get your frustration.

Don't get me wrong - Tomb Raider has always had shitty narratives, so this might just be par for the course. It's just weird when there are these lavish cutscenes with amazing production values and then they rely on a subpar script and underwhelming acting. In contrast to the earlier games ("tombs with artifacts are here, go get it"), this game seems so far to aspire for emotional drama and character development - unfortunately the execution leaves a lot to be desired and frankly maybe the game would have been better without this failed attempt at drama.

patapuf

I think that's my only big complaint so far.

Christ you are telling a story about finding some ancient super artefact. If you want to play that completely straight you need a lot more buildup and writing quality than you are showing ;) And you characters aren't good enough for that either.

They would have a waay easier time with some witty one liners and a "got get them" storyline. Even if that's a bit less ambitious.

Bittercup

For that reason I really enjoyed playing the German version of TR2013. The game sounds a lot less serious and has a good balance for Lara between sounding scared and having fun killing everyone. I think her voice was a better fit to the tone of the actual game and Nora Tschirner did a great job overall.
Unfortunately they replaced her voice actress in Rise but the new one sounds close enough and so far does a good job as well.
For a game that throws you pretty much right into a wild story with hardly any build-up I think it's a better approach to have the voice acting take it rather as a fun and exciting adventure.
If you speak other languages or don't mind subtitles it might be worth a try to check out other languages.

Arklite

Still in the beginning of the game but I don't get why Lara is the same character she was in the previous game.

She's more decisive and driven, but barely a half step towards confident, more like she's obsessed and stumbling along. It remains interesting but they need to move her along for next time.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
First have you and Dictator even played The Order?
Because Dictator comments on tons of stuff he has never actually played.

I linked to a specific part in the video but this whole thing just shows how far above visually this game still is for me. Nothing in ROTR comes close to this stuff.
Yes I played the Order, and a lot of it's visual flaws are hidden by the loads of visual filters. I legit think the only thing The Order has over ROTR is the core character animation of Galahad during gameplay.

MikeDown

Banned
have been really impressed with Lara's facial expressions so far, with that said the rest of the game is pretty unimpressive from a visual/level design standpoint

First have you and Dictator even played The Order?
Because Dictator comments on tons of stuff he has never actually played.

Well I comment based upon lossless videos and screenshots. Regarding rendering, it is not necessarily something that needs to be running in front of you to comment on it in an informed manner.

Skin: Probably better in the order because I believe it has back lighting, but you really would need to do like for like tests, with a lot less PP covering up what the skin looks like in both games.
Hair: RoTr for rendering quality and simulation, I really like the shading and shadowing as well. I think the best hair in the order is galahad (sp)
Lighting / Shadowing: Both have high resolution crisp shadows and volumetrics, I prefer SSR to things that do not use it though, indirect lighting in caves looks good in RotR, but the overworld lighting in the order, in spite of being baked, is probably better. HBAO+ gives great definition to small objects though.
Overall shading: the order - metals look better, glass looks better, cloth looks better
animation: I have no idea, they both look like great animating games to me
Facial animation: Lara looks great, galahad looks great - wash

I can understand thinking they both get in punches against one another. Especially regarding character rendering quality.

daxy

0UUdKF6.png

Anyone else getting this upon trying to start the game? Verified cache, says it all good.

edit: aw shit, thought this was the PC performance thread.

Yes I played the Order, and a lot of it's visual flaws are hidden by the loads of visual filters. I legit think the only thing The Order has over ROTR is the core character animation of Galahad during gameplay.

Thats so reductionist and ridiculous though. Did you use photo mode and turn all the filters off? Game still looks incredible.

Well I comment based upon lossless videos and screenshots. Regarding rendering, it is not necessarily something that needs to be running in front of you to comment on it in an informed manner.

Skin: Probably better in the order because I believe it has back lighting, but you really would need to do like for like tests, with a lot less PP covering up what the skin looks like in both games.
Hair: RoTr for rendering quality and simulation, I really like the shading and shadowing as well. I think the best hair in the order is galahad (sp)
Lighting / Shadowing: Both have high resolution crisp shadows and volumetrics, I prefer SSR to things that do not use it though, indirect lighting in caves looks good in RotR, but the overworld lighting in the order, in spite of being baked, is probably better. HBAO+ gives great definition to small objects though.
Overall shading: the order - metals look better, glass looks better, cloth looks better
animation: I have no idea, they both look like great animating games to me
Facial animation: Lara looks great, galahad looks great - wash

I can understand thinking they both get in punches against one another. Especially regarding character rendering quality.

I think thats a great breakdown but pardon my french its still bullshit commenting on the visual quality of a game your not playing on your actual TV. I thought Alien Isolation looked pretty good in all the video's on Gamersyde but sitting down at my TV that is a 60" Plasma the game was quite a bit better looking. There is a lot you lose out on imo. Thats why I only comment on stuff I have in fact played. Another game like that for me was Sunset Overdrive. Looks pretty good in video's but actually playing it you realize its a gorgeous game.

iNvid02

why does this game have cards, why

have been really impressed with Lara's facial expressions so far, with that said the rest of the game is pretty unimpressive from a visual/level design standpoint

yeah watching her face during cutscenes was striking, i think it looks good and it runs great but it hasn't bowled me over like unity did, that was something else

the Order is also so much more narrow in scope and actual presentation. Yes, it looks insane, but it's doing it with black borders and hallway gameplay.

The scale that ROTTR is working with is so much grander in comparison

Lime

She's more decisive and driven, but barely a half step towards confident, more like she's obsessed and stumbling along. It remains interesting but they need to move her along for next time.

I guess it's the same as the title of the game - rise of the tomb raider except that I thought the first game was about the establishment of Lara as rising as the tomb raider. I don't think Crystal Dynamics has an idea or a plan of what they are doing, I just think they check the boxes of what constitutes a AAA game and throw some heavy marketing at it and get their game out the door. Then when the next project comes around they just do the same thing once more but with a larger scope and hope it'll sell enough. The game I am playing right now doesn't have much to say or impress me with besides its lavish expensive graphics - it feels insignificant and bland from a narrative and a mechanical design perspective.

Also, Crystal Dynamics and their work with Pratchett need to revise their work processes and goals because this is now the second game with straight to vhs levels of writing despite them spending so much time and money on cutscenes and storytelling

I think thats a great breakdown but pardon my french its still bullshit commenting on the visual quality of a game your not playing on your actual TV. I thought Alien Isolation looked pretty good in all the video's on Gamersyde but sitting down at my TV the game was quite a bit better looking. There is a lot you lose out on imo. Thats why I only comment on stuff I have in fact played.

Why wouldn't a lossless feed of a game or a lossless PNG tell me things about the way a game renders?

I mean, otherwise we couldn't have Digital Foundry threads and comment on them.

edit: Just as an FYI, I have seen most xb1 and a great number of PS4 exclusives in person. I just do not own the systems.

Specific PS4 games I have seen in person: knack, kz sf, drive club, resogun, mk x, some smaller indie titles, hell jumpers?
xb1: Mcc, halo 6, KI, Tomb Raider (this one), Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, and probably some other games I am forgetting.

edit 2: saw your edit
Alien Isolation looked pretty good in all the video's on Gamersyde but sitting down at my TV that is a 60" Plasma the game was quite a bit better looking. There is a lot you lose out on imo. Thats why I only comment on stuff I have in fact played. Another game like that for me was Sunset Overdrive. Looks pretty good in video's but actually playing it you realize its a gorgeous game.

What do you think changes about seeing a game running infront of you? I mean, beyond the visceral experience of playing it that is. I think your point is really relevant for framerate discussion, gameplay feel, and perhaps judgement on interactable things like physics.

Why wouldn't a lossless feed of a game or a lossless PNG tell me things about the way a game renders?

I mean, otherwise we couldn't have Digital Foundry threads and comment on them.

edit: Just as an FYI, I have seen most xb1 and a great number of PS4 exclusives in person. I just do not own the systems.

Specific PS4 games I have seen in person: knack, kz sf, drive club, resogun, mk x, some smaller indie titles, hell jumpers?
xb1: Mcc, halo 6, KI, Tomb Raider (this one), Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, and probably some other games I am forgetting.

What lossless feed of The Order did you watch? Plus by not playing your not seeing the graphical highs and lows the moment to moment gameplay. Your taking one slice of a moment and commenting on it. Your not experiencing anything in the actual game.

What do you think changes about seeing a game running infront of you? I mean, beyond the visceral experience of playing it that is. I think your point is really relevant for framerate discussion, gameplay feel, and perhaps judgement on interactable things like physics.

The way a game feels has definite implications on how impressive it looks to me. When the character animation matches up with the controls and it feels crisp and tight it definitely makes an impact. More than that though experience the whole ebb and flow is important like I said. ROTR has some really underwhelming moments through the game. I could post those but it would be disingenuous because there are other really beautiful moments. That said though I can accurately judge it against The Order because I have in fact gone through all the rough moments as well as the impressive ones.

Any of the stuff on gamersyde really.

Yeah thats what I thought.

What lossless feed of The Order did you watch?

Any of the stuff on gamersyde really.

edit edit lol: Well I do not usually want to declare winners or losers or anything like that. Rather comment on specific aspects. I think it is pretty normal to comment on a thing like rendering (which is purely visual) given 30 odd minutes of gameplay and hundreds of lossless pngs that NeoGaf provides.

EDIT 2:
The way a game feels has definite implications on how impressive it looks to me. When the character animation matches up with the controls and it feels crisp and tight it definitely makes an impact. More than that though experience the whole ebb and flow is important like I said. ROTR has some really underwhelming moments through the game. I could post those but it would be disingenuous because there are other really beautiful moments. That said though I can accurately judge it against The Order because I have in fact gone through all the rough moments as well as the impressive ones.

I mean, I think you can accurately judge it as it is your own thing to judge. I just find that core rendering quality in a number of things between the two is very similar in a lot of important beats: poly count on characters, character animation specifically. Then again I doubt many games will reach a similar level of consistency that the order had in terms of graphical presentation or asset quality. Their taking away a lot of user movement and gameplay space / keeping it in alleyways allowed them to amplify their art precision and focus on doing things like having a 20K poly bottle or something which only exists for galahad to pick up and examine.

Jebral

So! Has anyone here tried this game with a steam controller? Wondering if it has native support. I'll find out first hand in about 3 hours. Too bad it's a torturous afternoon of work beforehand :-(

patapuf

Is it me or do waypoints not work

you need to confirm a waypoint with "enter" (it'll glow blue on the minimap), then it'll also show when using detective vision.

Sadly clicking on the stuff doesn't work, you need to select the object you want to waypoint with the crosshair-thingy you use to navigate the map menu.

Lime

They should've gotten a different VA for the historical figures. They're such regular American voices that it really takes you out of any sense of this character being someone who lived thousands of years ago.

viveks86

Got my refund. Thank you, based steam.

So! Has anyone here tried this game with a steam controller? Wondering if it has native support. I'll find out first hand in about 3 hours. Too bad it's a torturous afternoon of work beforehand :-(

Not native support, but it worked fine with mouse joystick and gamepad emulation.

Jebral

Not native support, but it worked fine with mouse joystick and gamepad emulation.

Always prefer to use the right pad as a mouse yet still have the proper button prompts. Ah well! Just a little while longer, then I can start experimenting :)

Stiler

Is there a known bug or issue with a memory leak or something?

780 SC
8gb ram

Most settings on high, HBAO on, Depth of field/motion blur off.

The game was running great during the opening, climbing up the mountain, etc.

However once it got to the part:

When leave Jonas behind and have to start running as the gorund breaks away underneath you

my game started to run HORRIBLY. Literally like it was freezing up every couple of seconds and then it got to where it almost completely stopped and I had to ctrl-alt-del and close it.

Ricker

if your ears get tired of reboot Lara's voice and the bad acting

you can change the voice language

I experimented with all of them and all the voices are superior than the english Luddington trash except Mandarin/Spanish

Best choices are

Polish - it fits so well, easy to listen to
Russian- fits area
Japanese- Fits Lara, somewhat like Classic lara

I though the voice acting was very good...opinions I guess.

TheYanger

QTE's are terrible, I cant believe they kept them with this game.

Start game "Press X to not die" ok...press x

Then jump to a horizontal pole - no QTE prompt...ok no X needed. Fall to death.

When you die multiple times on an intro level, perhaps your systems suck?

I had so much respect for proj red when they patched witcher 2 to remove the annoying QTE

That's because it's not a QTE, it's teaching you that X is how you grab onto things, who woulda thunk it. That's a mechanic you use thorughout the entire game, so in other words - yuo didn't actually learn from the basic tutorial.

The part you're complaining about is literally the tutorial section. Game opens up about an hour-hour and a half in.

Cronen

I swear the pre-purchase price was £39.99, and now Steam is showing the price as £35.99. Am I crazy, or did they drop the price? That would be kinda shitty for those who pre-ordered.

RyudBoy

Running this @ 1440p on my OC'd 970. All settings set to very high except for shadows (high). Other than a few moments where it dipped to 30fps, all is well! It will most likely tank in performance later on, but I'll deal with that later.

Image quality is so vastly superior to XB1, but that was to be expected.

Hurray for no input delay!

Top Bottom