• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider PC |OT| Hello... it's me.

Game looks and runs amazing on my 970, with smaa and HBAO+. Great job Nixxes. Hoping this game turns out better than the last, excited to do some actual tomb raiding!

Rosur

Running on Very High settings seem to be going between 45-60 on my 970/ i5 4690k (depending on if sudden drops in combat probably I'm gonna leave it atm (only 30mins in so haven't run into any yet))

Just bought it for like 29 dollars... one of the good things to be in mexico

Also remotely connected with my phone to my pc to download it, downloaded pretty fast like 15 min tops and already decompressing it. It will be ready when I get home... what a time to be alive!

Can't wait to play it... those screenshots looks amazing

Edit: well it didn't even decompress it was ready to play as soon as it downloaded

jackdoe

Night and day difference gameplay wise from the Xbox One version. Just cleared Syria, and there's this one section with a slow-mo shooting segment. I couldn't line up a headshot before the slow mo ran out in the Xbox One version. With the PC version, killed both enemies in the blink of an eye. I think I'm actually going to enjoy enemy combat encounters with this version.

This is the best looking game I've ever played by far.

Agreed. The graphics are really good, although I've seen a couple places where textures didn't quite fit with the quality of others. The Syria driver's thumb was one that really stuck out to me.

So far, this game is fantastic.

Soulflarz

Banned
Looking forward to playing this today
...after uncharted 2 NDC
cause you know

Why not play that while you were waiting for this to launch
>__>

A lot of people overhyped this game and its visuals. I mean so far so good, but definitely a bit let down as I was expecting face melting PC visuals. I will say this the controls feel nice and tight using a Xbox One controller on PC.

A lot of people overhyped this game and its visuals. I mean so far so good, but definitely a bit let down as I was expecting face melting PC visuals. I will say this the controls feel nice and tight using a Xbox One controller on PC.

I must admit aside from framerate, its crazy how good they got it looking on XBox. Im at 1440p and something looks off to me. It looks great don't get me wrong. It's jkust not the mindblowing port that I thought it would be.

It's a very pretty game. Feels very much like the previous Tomb Raider control wise. The animation is particularly good. Some of the best you'll ever see right now. First time I've played with Lara's new face too. Kinda' rounder, maybe? Not long into it but am enjoying it so far.

Adry9

Yes, they are rendered in real time. No pre-rendered cutscenes as far as I can say (first hour of gameplay)

Me every 10 minutes so far:

tumblr_mebl5rfqf81rp5t2fo1_500.png

Vuze

A lot of people overhyped this game and its visuals. I mean so far so good, but definitely a bit let down as I was expecting face melting PC visuals
^^^^ this

It looks pretty damn good in the manor cutscenes but everything else is fine but not overwhelming. Atleast not Syria / Syberia where I partially played with Very High preset (except for textures which were on High).

I must admit aside from framerate, its crazy how good they got it looking on XBox. Im at 1440p and something looks off to me. It looks great don't get me wrong. It's jkust not the mindblowing port that I thought it would be.

Game is very overrated so far. To say this game looks great after playing other recent PC releases is a joke,

owasog

Is the Baba Yaga DLC part of the main singleplayer story (like the Tomb of the Last Adventurer DLC in TR 2013), or is it a standalone campaign?

Yeah I already concurred with you but its definitely what jumps out to me as well. The game looks good but its not this mindblowing feat people keep making it out to be. It looks solid but thats about it. Its especially less impressive in the light of other PC games.

Game is very overrated so far. To say this game looks great after playing other recent PC releases is a joke,

I don't think the game is overrated at all. I 100 percented it on xbox. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's one of my favourite games this gen. Take some time with it. It is very good :) I just expected more from the pc version.

the tessellation in the snow.... HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

runs really well on high settings + tessellation and Purehair on . Tested "Very high" quality hair and dont see that much of a difference but with Purehair off the hair looks TERRIBLE!

(OC R9 280, i5 4460)

The way faces and eyes move and shit in cutscenes is damn impressive.

And at least Lara admits she fucks up when she is the one responsible for leading bad guys to the goods.

Why do people keep holding up The Witcher 3 as some masterpiece PC game? It looks like a competent console port, that's all. RotTR looks better.

My issue with tomb raider so far is that has boring QTE elements and the opening doesnt look anything special. The fact that its graphically underwhelming isnt a big deal - from the great reviews I imagine it gets better since most of the intro is spent looking at the same ice wall that I saw a bunch of times in the prior game.

Tubie

Interesting

Battlefront is pretty much the only other game that comes close to this. As someone else said, TW3 has nice art direction which masks a lot of the tech shortcomings.

I can't believe anyone would compare TW3 to this in terms of graphics.

With Battlefront I agree, that game looks incredible.

chadskin

Steam: €44.99
W10 Store: €53.59

???

Very odd there's this much of a difference. Does MS take a bigger cut than Valve or something?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Played and hour and a half of it. I enjoy it. I really like the animations and the close-up cutscenes.From my point of view is on par with the beta of Battlefront (I didn't play the full one, got bored in the beta).Gameplay wise I like that it is fluid, so far it's a great Tomb Raider.

I'm so happy with this port tbh. I love that they included a few super high end features that will make replays in a few years' time all the sweeter.

Fully preloaded, went to start the game when I got home and....its "updating"? It says estimated time 5 hours 43 minutes.

Did it do this for anyone else?

Fully preloaded, went to start the game when I got home and....its "updating"? It says estimated time 5 hours 43 minutes.

Did it do this for anyone else?

Yep. Took about a while to download something, although it said it had 17.3gb out of 17.3gb downloaded. I have no idea what it could have been downloading that took so long.

Maybe it was unpacking?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yeah I already concurred with you but its definitely what jumps out to me as well. The game looks good but its not this mindblowing feat people keep making it out to be. It looks solid but thats about it. Its especially less impressive in the light of other PC games.
In what way? No idea how you can look at a shot like this:

which looks absolutely amazing in motion, and is realtime no less, and say that it's not mindblowing? For instance typically when you zoom in on wounds in games you lose detail, in that shot you see how the cut digs into her skin like a cut actually should. Most games don't even have actual cuts but just blood. Along with stuff like the particle effects, tessellated snow, HBAO+, the game is absolutely mindblowing.

patapuf

Looks like they forgot to enable community features or something. Overlay, achievments, etc not working yet.

Works in my version, i got cards and achievements and the overlay works as well.

Steam: €44.99
W10 Store: €53.59

???

Very odd there's this much of a difference. Does MS take a bigger cut than Valve or something?

Given that it was an exclusive that would surprise me

Yep. Took about a while to download something, although it said it had 17.3gb out of 17.3gb downloaded. I have no idea what it could have been downloading that took so long.

Maybe it was unpacking?

Yeah, its going quicker now and says about a half hour, but its kind of a bummer. I don't understand why it cant download everything before hand.

Lime

The line "I've lost too many friends, I don't want to lose you too" almost makes me want to uninstall this game. The writing and acting are really bad. In fact, the entire Jonah and Lara "drama" scene at the mansion is just incredibly poorly executed.

Great graphics though.

Edit: wow and then she clears the desk in anger. I'm baffled.

Had a strange issue, had the steam overlay open while the game was loading and it crashed my pc >.< some windows desktop manager error, been fine since though

Top Bottom