• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

Shadybiz

Got a video up of Fear of the Dark, totally did not nail that solo :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5cafj4Kr1o&feature=youtu.be

Currently uploading Number of the Beast as well, only had time for one practice run and then record those 2 tonight so it's far from perfect. But it's just to show how they are tabbed out in the game.

I'll try and get videos of the others when I wake up tomorrow if I'm not too crappy at them

Edit: Next video is up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJLAbC3lMR4.

Damn, man great work on both. Fear of the Dark is the one that I want to concentrate on, because my wife loves that song, but Number of the Beast looks like it's definitely the harder one as far as technique and fretboard navigation.

Edit: Fixed1979: Yes, that's it. Not sure about that song in particular, but in most cases, you'll just gently rest your index finger (or whatever finger is appropriate) over the string that isn't included, so it's properly muted. The pros make it look easy, but it's tough to get a hang of without some practice.

Edit 2: That screen is telling you to put your hand in the position of the chord that it shows on the side of the screen. The strings are to be individually picked, as opposed to strumming them all at once, like in a normal chord strum. There's a lesson on that; it's the arpeggio lesson.

DrBo42

What's the "correct" way to play the chords that appear to skip a string? Specifically the intro to 1979. I got up to playing it around 88%, and the next step up confuses me as it appears to be something like E - A - G, while skipping the D string. Am i suppose to be muting that string with the tip of one of my fingers or something?

I also don't understand what this type of chord is telling me.

xrsmithpreview.jpg.pagespeed.ic.x0Ph9m4xmF_229x128.jpg

It's saying maintain this chord shape but only play these notes 1 at a time as they appear.

brian

Yeah, let your finger on the A string touch the top of the D string without pressing down to mute it.

I have no idea what the hollow notes on the image you posted are supposed to be.

BearPawB

Banned
I am sure this has been asked, but if anyone can answer again, I would appreciate it.

Could you play this game with an electric acoustic? I have never played guitar, but I have my siblings electric acoustic guitar in my house. By this I just mean an acoustic I can plug an amp into.Have always wanted to learn, can't really justify a guitar purchase at this point in my life.

Would it be impossible? Would it be harder for a complete beginner than a real electric?

Fixed1979

Excellent, thanks for the help guys. Back to rockin'.

I am sure this has been asked, but if anyone can answer again, I would appreciate it.

Could you play this game with an electric acoustic? I have never played guitar, but I have my siblings electric acoustic guitar in my house. By this I just mean an acoustic I can plug an amp into.Have always wanted to learn, can't really justify a guitar purchase at this point in my life.

Would it be impossible? Would it be harder for a complete beginner than a real electric?

An electric acoustic will definitely work.

From my completely limited experience, you may find the thicker strings on an acoustic harder on your fingers. Bends may be slightly more difficult as well, but that's just speculation. I'm sure someone who knows what they're doing can elaborate.

Varna

Got a video up of Fear of the Dark, totally did not nail that solo :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5cafj4Kr1o&feature=youtu.be

Currently uploading Number of the Beast as well, only had time for one practice run and then record those 2 tonight so it's far from perfect. But it's just to show how they are tabbed out in the game.

I'll try and get videos of the others when I wake up tomorrow if I'm not too crappy at them

Edit: Next video is up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJLAbC3lMR4.

What ever you were doing during that solo still sounded good!

Thanks for that tip DrBo42. I didn't realize that's what the chord shape meant... I thought it was giving you a heads up on a future chord there.

Xyber

What's the "correct" way to play the chords that appear to skip a string? Specifically the intro to 1979. I got up to playing it around 88%, and the next step up confuses me as it appears to be something like E - A - G, while skipping the D string. Am i suppose to be muting that string with the tip of one of my fingers or something?

I also don't understand what this type of chord is telling me.

xrsmithpreview.jpg.pagespeed.ic.x0Ph9m4xmF_229x128.jpg

You just mute the string in between with the finger that is on the string above it. So the finger you have on the A string also touches the D string so that it's muted.

And that chord is an arpeggio. It shows you the chord shape you should hold and then play the notes of that chord individually.

Xyber

Uhm, is it just me that is having a problem launching the game on PC now? I get the UPlay window and I think I got a patch for that yesterday and now I can't press play in that window. Usually the game just launched automatically without me needing to do anything with UPlay.

Edit: Checked the Rocksmith forum and there was another person who had this too. Happened after a Steam update and playing the game in offline mode is supposed to fix it. Opting out of the Steam beta fixed this though.

Sweet, sweet progress!
Video of that run as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsoZr23FNyg

New Patch on Steam:

Fixed a bug related to capo detection. Now the game doesn't expect the wrong pitch on certain open capo notes.

Fixed phrase progress memory, so the game will retain your progress indefinitely.

Fixed some issues related to saving player progress in multiplayer .

A variety of other random crash fixes.

elseanio

Any reason why I can't click "Play"? It looks greyed out...

So far my experience with uPlay has been abysmal

Edit* Got it working. Had to force close Rocksmith2014.exe via Task Manager .. no idea why it didn't just launch first time.

Edit* Got it working. Had to force close Rocksmith2014.exe via Task Manager .. no idea why it didn't just launch first time.

uPlay on PC has been an abomination for me thus far. If I didn't like this game so much I'd have quit because of it.

Xyber

uPlay on PC has been an abomination for me thus far. If I didn't like this game so much I'd have quit because of it.

That is actually not UPlays fault.

The latest Steam beta fucked something up and you need to opt out for it to launch properly.

My experience with UPlay has been just fine so far, it doesn't even pop up like that anymore after the first activation. So I don't really care if it's there because it's not in the way.

That is actually not UPlays fault.

The latest Steam beta fucked something up and you need to opt out for it to launch properly.

My experience with UPlay has been just fine so far, it doesn't even pop up like that anymore after the first activation. So I don't really care if it's there because it's not in the way.

I'm not a beta participant in Steam, I opted out a long time ago. I've had issues with uPlay with Far Cry 3, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, and Rocksmith 2014. Rocksmith is the only game I have on Steam that needs uPlay, the other two are from when I bought my video card. My whole experience with it has been bad. At times it seems like nothing works like it should, or at least in a way that I've come to expect from applications.

Just had this delivered. First time ever picking up a guitar and have just been messing around with the lessons. And damn, my fingers hurt. Gonna take a little break, recoup, and get back at it. Fun so far.

Enron

Banned
Thinking about getting this. Am a total nub. Only ever banged out a chord or two on a hand-me down acoustic that's been gathering dust for years in another room.

Would there be any reason to get an Epiphone Les Paul 100 over a Les Paul Special II to use with this game? Heard some bad things about Les Paul Jrs' jacks falling to pieces.

Storm360

Resisting the Iron Maiden pack, I know I can't play it, but still so close to buying.

Wish it had Hollowed in though

Nirran

Seems a Steam beta patch just got put out to fix the Uplay issue with games not launching.

Enjoying the game greatly so far. It's my first time ever playing a guitar and I'm starting to learn my way around the fretboard without having to count dots to find out where I am. Main issue I'm having so far is alt picking and strumming the wrong string. Good progress so far otherwise.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
holy crap this pc version is ass. Yesterday I had a LOT of hassle with it due to not starting, not picking up sound, lag and other problems, then after a lot of fiddling it finallly worked.
Now today I just tried to start it up and no matter what I do, it won't recocgnize the fucking cable. Even windows has no problem picking up sound from the guitar in audio options, but the game? "Looks like your cable isn't installed". Are you kidding me? This shit was expensive! I'm incredibly frustrated by all of this, is it really that hard to just make a pc port work?

edit: Yup, after 45 more minutes, no way to get it to work. That was a waste of money I guess.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I just snagged the original rocksmith off ebay a few days ago since i won a bid and got it with the cable included for 18 bucks. I understand 2014 to be LEAGUES better, but I'm hoping that rocksmith will be able to get me off my feet.

But really I just went with the original because I could snag it at a cheaper price for a solid entry fee, seemed like a better alternative instead of dropping the 80 bucks on 2014.

Protome

Picked up my copy of 2014 yesterday, just need to get my guitar back from my parents house now...

How useful are the mini games for brushing up on scales, chord changes, etc? I haven't played guitar in years so I'll definitely need some practice to get my fingers going again.

Katyusha

I finally got the main riff for the Spirit of Radio down, and it's a lot easier than it sounds.

I have a harder time with the damn arpeggios in that song.

Onemic

Anyone have problems with Rocksmith running from steam at times? It seems like it has something to do with uplay. I wish there was a way to turn this stupid thing off...

DrBo42

Picked up my copy of 2014 yesterday, just need to get my guitar back from my parents house now...

How useful are the mini games for brushing up on scales, chord changes, etc? I haven't played guitar in years so I'll definitely need some practice to get my fingers going again.

They're built entirely for muscle memory and dexterity. It'll do the trick.

Anyone have problems with Rocksmith running from steam at times? It seems like it has something to do with uplay. I wish there was a way to turn this stupid thing off...

Edit: I'm tired/stupid and read that completely wrong. Hahahaha. Amazing. In terms of launching? I get errors about audio exclusivity and it crashes when I stream it sometimes but otherwise no. Maybe try some compatibility/administrator options?

Xyber

Oh youtube.. I upload a Japanese song and it gets blocked in Japan. :p
Anyway, this song was pretty catchy and I could understand 1 word in the entire song!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEtxlnvXFoU

I wonder what we will get for DLC next week. I'd like some more SoaD, Foo Fighters or Rise Against myself. Getting more from bands they already have in the game seems more likely than not right now so that's why I'm going with those.

Protome

They're built entirely for muscle memory and dexterity. It'll do the trick.

Awesome!
I got my guitar back today so I jumped on and spent about an hour playing. Really enjoying the game so far!
Only issue I have is that it sometimes doesn't detect E first fret properly, but that's probably just my guitar. It's a cheap thing that has sat in an attic for the past 4 years...

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Resisting the Iron Maiden pack, I know I can't play it, but still so close to buying.

Wish it had Hollowed in though

OK I was wrong its an amazing bundle..they're alot more fun to play then I expected.
Especially the score attack mode! its bloody amazing! I had no idea what that was till i just clicked it. and realized they have a guitar hero locked difficulty version of the songs that you can play along with in a way more video game fashion.

I'm actually quit surprised just how much better this version of the game is.
Im quiet mediocre as a player but using the rhythm path I'm having a great time.

The rocksmith recommends vs the forced venue path is SO much better.
It seems to only ask you to try and get better at songs you've picked vs forcing you to play songs you don't like at all. then the missions ask you to pick some new songs and the ones you pick add to the selection of songs it will give you mission to improve..BRILLIANT!

So much fun.

Tex117

Banned
After having about two weeks with the game I can say this is an excellent learning tool.

If you have any, and I mean any guitar experience, you will be well on your way quickly to mastering songs. Can you play A-G major chords? Can you play Am-Gm chords? Can you play a barre chord? Yeah, you will be all set pretty fast for rythmn at least.

A straight up beginner might have some trouble, but I think that is just the beginning of guitar playing more than it is the software.

(Guitar learning curve can be tricky to sound good).

Xyber

They need to get the songs up on Steam already. Why can't they put them up when the store updates like everyone else does? Could have had the songs an hour ago if they did that. :(

Varna

Dumb question. But where can I find that damn echo pedal? Just trying to grind some of these missions and I can't find the thing anywhere in the customize tone.

Varna

Can't look now ... but I would suspect it would be with the Delays.

Thanks. I really want some of those cool looking inlays.

Is it weird that I am a lot better at lead then rhythm? I'm honestly so hooked on session mode. been playing one to two hours every day for the past two weeks.

EDIT: I really wish they could just emulate different tuning. Really lazy about it personally. Lots of songs I haven't done before of the weird standard tuning variations.

catabarez

Thanks. I really want some of those cool looking inlays.

Is it weird that I am a lot better at lead then rhythm? I'm honestly so hooked on session mode. been playing one to two hours every day for the past two weeks.

EDIT: I really wish they could just emulate different tuning. Really lazy about it personally. Lots of songs I haven't done before of the weird standard tuning variations.

What an odd thing to say.

Hmm...the song selection seems a bit underwhelming compared to Rock Band, but not terrible. But every time I see this thread I get pushed a little more into buying.

How does it run on Mac OS X?

Would be amazing to get Led Zeppelin on this. I know they came out and said they'd never license to RB/GH because people should "learn real instruments", but since these ARE real instruments....

saunderez

Phwoar, great setlist.

Any word on when the original Rocksmith DLC will be compatible with 2014 (or have I already missed this happening)?
It always has been, at least on PC.

Sorry if this has been answered already, but do you need to use Ubi's usb guitar cable or can you use any one to play this game?

On PC you can use other devices, but it's unsupported, a lot of screwing around and you might not have luck. On consoles you need the official RealTone cable. Honestly I'd just get the official cable save yourself the pain.

On PC you can use other devices, but it's unsupported, a lot of screwing around and you might not have luck. On consoles you need the official RealTone cable. Honestly I'd just get the official cable save yourself the pain.
Here's my problem. I haven't seen the RealTone cables being sold in my country. It might have been when the original game came out, but now shops don't seem to be interested in stocking this game.
It's not that big of a deal though. I could always import the cable.

elfinke

It always has been, at least on PC.

What? No, Steam wouldn't let me purchase any original Rocksmith DLC for 2014 because I don't own the original Rocksmith.

Must I own original Rocksmith, or the import tool or some combination of them to make it work?

XShagrath

What? No, Steam wouldn't let me purchase any original Rocksmith DLC for 2014 because I don't own the original Rocksmith.

Must I own original Rocksmith, or the import tool or some combination of them to make it work?

I don't think you need the import tool, but currently you do need the original Rocksmith (unless they've patched that). I can't tell you, since I have the original game.

It's pretty shitty, and Ubi really doesn't have the best set up for things (even after doing this for a year+). If it's not fixed soon, I'd say pick up the original on the Steam sale in a couple weeks if it's discounted. I've heard the discounts are going to be the same for the Autumn and Winter sales, so you're just looking at holding out for a daily deal if you really want the best price.

My gripe right now is uPlay still running in the background and fucking up my Steam playtime. It currently says I'm at 115 hours played. It's probably actually more like 40 hours. My guitar was out of commission for a couple days due to a repair I had to make, and I guess uPlay was running in the background that whole time.

Xyber

At the moment the first game is required to buy DLC on Steam for 2014. They are looking into fixing this and hope it will be solved within a couple of days or a few weeks depending on fast Steam are to respond to them.

On consoles this shouldn't matter I think.

Top Bottom