• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

elfinke

Cool, thanks guys. I've got everything in my Steam wishlist for the inevitable sales that are coming up. I can't find original Rocksmith for cheap here in Australia, so a Steam sale will probably end up the way to go.

Though ideally, Ubi will fix this and save me the hassle. In Ubi I trust! I'll be interested to see what comes of the AMA. Not being a regular user of Reddit, I hope someone writes up a neat summary of the exchange.

Bought an ass-load of DLC on my 360... not sure why, I mean I've spent the last week with the game just trying to get The Cult of Personality riffs up to speed (lolno on the solos). RS2014 keeps me coming back whereas the original's clunkiness scared me away.

saunderez

RS2014 keeps me coming back whereas the original's clunkiness scared me away.
I agree, loving the fact I get do much more practice given less screwing around in menus, waiting for loading or tuning every song. In an hour it feels like I can play twice as many songs as Rocksmith 1.

Xyber

Unlocked this bonus song earlier, I don't get why they had to put a bunch of nice songs behind those challenges. I want them all from the start damnit!

Really liked this one and it's fun to play. Was a little tricky at first, but it didn't take that much time in the riff repeater to get most stuff down apart from that solo (which I somehow manged to kinda nail in this run).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLWvpOteUSA&feature=youtu.be

Bought an ass-load of DLC on my 360... not sure why, I mean I've spent the last week with the game just trying to get The Cult of Personality riffs up to speed (lolno on the solos). RS2014 keeps me coming back whereas the original's clunkiness scared me away.

I really like that I can take a song, play it, stop it at a part where I'm having problems, practice until I've gotten it, and go right back into playing the song with very little fuss at all. It's become a good practice tool for me. It's also great for the songs where I just want to know a cool riff or two.

In general everything about 2014 is just better than the first (which I also thought was a good game).

Enron

Banned
well guys I finally bite the dust and I just ordered the PC version of the Les Paul Jr bundle for 147€, couldn't resist at that price

I am about this close to buying it myself. Might wait till xmas, but I think im going after a Les Paul 100 instead of the Jr. Heard some bad things about the jack and the tuners on the Jr.

Onemic

What are the chances of Ubi adding some jazz guitar songs to Rocksmith with the likes of someone like Wes Montgomery/John Mclaughlin or some prominent jazzy bass like Jamiroqai or Esperanza Spalding? I mean if they have tutorials on playing jazz chords they might as well at least have a jazz pack of some sort.

Steam related question:

I have OG Rocksmith on the 360 but thinking about buying on Steam, playing on laptop during my lunch break.

Since I rarely ever use my steam account (and it's always online at home) do I have to be online to play, or is it playable w/o Internet access?

Tex117

Banned
A little more blues would be nice.

I would love...LOVE...a blues package DLC.

Some SRV, maybe BB King..., Sam Lightning Hopkins, John Lee Hooker...just to name a few.

Ok, after spending some more time with this I have to say that this is the best update of any program ever. It's unbelievable how much they improved on the first game. It now really just serves one purpose: for you to fucking rock! I've already learned so much thanks to the updated mechanics and the motivation is so much higher thanks to fact that loading times have disappeared.

Thanks Rocksmith 2014! I can now finally see myself actually playing the guitar at a somewhat competent level a few years down the line. :D

Does anybody elses sound seem distorted?

Im playing on the XBox 360 using a used guitar i got.
One thing i have noticed is that once i finish one of the practice tracts and before the score screen pops up theres a brief couple of seconds where my guitar seems to come through very loud and clear. However during the track the sound seems somewhat distorted, is this by design?

Storm360

Yeah, and it sounds like we're getting them for DLC next week.

The question was "What's the biggest "YES WE GOT IT!" song you managed to get on-disc for 2014?" So it's gonna be an on-disc artist.

I'm thinking possibly Muse myself, although that could be a hold over from the "Moar Muse!" demands from Rock Band days.

Xyber

Never really listened to Oasis myself, so I don't know if I would like it or not. Will just have to wait and see what we end up getting. There will probably be some Japanese songs as well going by what they said in that Reddit AmA. We should be getting some Japanese stuff every other week or so for a while. And I dig it, they have some pretty different kind of rock over there and it's refreshing to hear new stuff.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Haven't played my guitar for a week (distracted by new love <3) but was in dire need of some new strings. Never restrung a guitar before. Everything was fine until I went to fine tune the bottom E string (was almost tuned in RS) when it snapped. Fuck this, taking it to a shop next week and get them to do it and maybe fine tune the bridge too.

jdavid459

Please god, tell me there is a mode to skip the level up process of songs and get the actual notes ? I feel like there must be, but I don't see it.

Xyber

There was a progress update for customs on smithyanvil's forum today. No tools for making customs are available right now, but they have managed to make songs and add them to the game. Still needs some work to incorporate the new 2014 features in songs, but it's getting there! No estimated time of release yet.

It's possible to track all the changes they are doing here. https://code.google.com/p/rocksmith-custom-song-creator/source/list?name=rs2014

rs2014_song_playing.png

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
so ya as they say use riff repeater

just hit spacebar..as they said..then the next step is to use the 0 and 9 and o and p to select the whole song..then just set the difficulty level you want and then resume the song

it really is a great feature,

and xyber thats friggin amazing! I really doubted they'd get it to work so quickly

Xyber

so ya as they say use riff repeater

just hit spacebar..as they said..then the next step is to use the 0 and 9 and o and p to select the whole song..then just set the difficulty level you want and then resume the song

it really is a great feature,

and xyber thats friggin amazing! I really doubted they'd get it to work so quickly

Fastest way to select the entire song is to go down to "Section end" or something like that (almost at the bottom of the list) and then just hold the arrow button on the keyboard to select it all instead of selecting each section one by one by constantly pressing 0.

For complex songs with many section this is way faster.

Mr.Green

Who thought torturing your fingers could be so much fun?

I wish you could pause the songs and rewind/fast-forward using the mouse wheel or something and that it would resume exactly where you want to.

Having the actual tabs would be great too.

I picked this up for PS3 yesterday after seeing the Quick Look sometime ago. I've mainly been playing piano for the last year or so, so this was a good reason to jump back to guitar. My fingers are hurting though... I feel like a complete noob again.

Pros: seems very accurate, very nice presentation, lots of fun. I was a bit confused by their notation system, but once I flipped the strings up-side down (as they are in tabs) it made a lot more sense.

Cons: latency... I should have read up on this before. I spent the entire evening hauling
receivers, headphone amps and various converter plugs around and I made a big mess of our nice living room. It turns out I can solve it easily using a $1 converter plug (red/white RCA's to headphone jack) and everything will be ready to rock. It only arrives Tuesday, however.

Can't wait to explore it further!

saunderez

Fastest way to select the entire song is to go down to "Section end" or something like that (almost at the bottom of the list) and then just hold the arrow button on the keyboard to select it all instead of selecting each section one by one by constantly pressing 0.

For complex songs with many section this is way faster.

Yeah this is what I do. Most of my songs are levelled above 50% but I found the Alice In Chains pack was forcing me to start at 0% for every track. I just did the above and set it to 30% and went from there.

Xyber

Looks like we're getting some Green Day tomorrow. Never really listened to them, but I like some of their songs.

Keegs

There was a progress update for customs on smithyanvil's forum today. No tools for making customs are available right now, but they have managed to make songs and add them to the game. Still needs some work to incorporate the new 2014 features in songs, but it's getting there! No estimated time of release yet.

It's possible to track all the changes they are doing here. https://code.google.com/p/rocksmith-custom-song-creator/source/list?name=rs2014

rs2014_song_playing.png

Oh man that would be a great song on Rocksmith 14! If that becomes available please post it!

I love this game. If anything it's doing wonders for my motivation to practice.

I used to play bass for 4 years and then put it down for about 10 years... Rocksmith has been awesome for getting me back into it. And apparently most of that muscle memory is still there. I've been having a blast and even managed to get 100.8% for the bass on Muse - Plug In Baby. I didn't even know you could break 100%. Feels good man.

I still suck pretty badly at guitar, but I do see progress. Even though I played bass, I had next to no experience playing regular guitar. So prior to playing this game I couldn't change chords quickly to save my life. But I'm definitely getting the hang of some chord changes now and able to get 90% on some of the easier songs. I've found the Riff Repeater to be a fantastic tool for helping me practice.

I love this game! Though I do have to take a break from playing bass stuff for a little bit because my right middle finger has a blister from playing too much before my calluses have had a chance to develop again...

Xyber

I used to play bass for 4 years and then put it down for about 10 years... Rocksmith has been awesome for getting me back into it. And apparently most of that muscle memory is still there. I've been having a blast and even managed to get 100.8% for the bass on Muse - Plug In Baby. I didn't even know you could break 100%. Feels good man.

That number where you go past 100% is your mastery of the song. I don't know if it goes up to 200% for a song that is completely mastered (all notes completely gone), haven't played a song that much to see. But I got a couple songs at 105-110% now.

I'm so glad that the Rocksmith cable works as good as it does in Guitar Rig. I did this cover earlier today and it turned out pretty good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsl6sYMSCpI
Can't stress enough how great Rocksmith has been for me, I've tried to learn instruments before but I just get bored because it has sounded like shit. Rocksmith helped avoid that and I have almost played on my guitar every single day during the 1 year I've owned it.

Now I've started thinking about getting myself another guitar that is better for lower tunings than my current one.

XShagrath

I've been lied to.

Man, I wonder how they would react to licensing a good band for once. You know, being that they were so excited that they got Green Day.

I know what you mean. I was deep into Rock Band back when that was around, and the amount of hype they'd bring some weeks for a new artist was almost always a huge letdown. I've just become accustomed to the fact that the bands I think are huge and would really want in the game are not the same bands they think are big gets.

Xyber

I know what you mean. I was deep into Rock Band back when that was around, and the amount of hype they'd bring some weeks for a new artist was almost always a huge letdown. I've just become accustomed to the fact that the bands I think are huge and would really want in the game are not the same bands they think are big gets.

Been there too, I just gave up on their DLC for a long while between RB2 and 3 because it looked like they didn't want to release anything worthwhile anymore (saving it for RB3 DLC). It improved some after RB3's launch but then it died off again.

Hate to repost but am looking for an answer and whether or not its my guitar being bad

Does anybody elses sound seem distorted?

Im playing on the XBox 360 using a used guitar i got.
One thing i have noticed is that once i finish one of the practice tracts and before the score screen pops up theres a brief couple of seconds where my guitar seems to come through very loud and clear. However during the track the sound seems somewhat distorted, is this by design?

Top Bottom