• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Bethesda will announce Skyrim remaster at E3

Daingurse

If it uses the same garbage engine why bother?

Fallout 4 barely looks better than Skyrim as it is. I don't know what fuck all a remaster is going to do.

Relative to the 360/PS3 versions? A remaster could do a fucking lot. I'm not sure what's so hard to understand. This product is obviously for console players. And it will definitely move some copies. It's really a no brainer for Bethesda, I can't fault them one bit.

You can run Skyrim on a toaster and they'll still charge you $60 for a version on consoles that probably won't look as good and likely without the PC mods that have been worked on for 5 years, so I'm not sure who this is for or why they're doing it.

Who am I kidding? Yes I do. People will lap this shit up.

hey, it's not like everyone is clamoring to hook up their toasters. some people like the boxes they got under their TVs, and now that mods are on console, it's hard for me to laugh at the sheer prospect of a Skyrim remaster like I used to.
it's like
if you made a thread last year which posed a Skyrim remaster as a hypothetical
I'd be like dude no, because I would have assumed a straight port without mod support. because only sony's first parties and epic seem to give a fuck about putting any effort into their remasters this gen. at which point you really are better off pulling out your toaster in any event, least of all not to give Bethesda or any other dev the idea that that kinda low effort garbage is okay.
but things are a bit different now, eh? Graphical update, probable mod support... who knows.
at any rate i'll reserve my chuckles for when they announce the price point. one cent over $40 and I'll be shitting myself. even $40 might be pushing it, but hey, it's Skyrim. It'll sell at $60.

depending on what happens, if you really give a shit about mods, you're probably better off on PC anyway. I can't see so many of the PC's fifty thousand or so mods being easily inserted into whatever particular form of Gamebryo this remaster runs on. but at least now there's a competitive option.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I mean, every remaster is a cash-grab, I don't see what makes this any more or less egregious. At least Skyrim is a super-popular game where the demand is there.

Not really. Depends what is being reworked. In this case, PC mods have obliterated anything Bethesda could do. Whereas in other cases, a PC port might not even exist and there might be a need and desire for a game to be reworked. FF 12 is probably a decent recent example of a game that can benefit from being modernized.

naitosan

Awesome, I haven't played Skyrim so it's perfect timing for me. It'd be even more awesome if they manages to port Skyrim to Fallout 4 engine (I doubt it but can I dream?)

It's not a pointless remaster at all. A lot of people had the misfortune of playing this game on a last-gen console, and this will surely be a huge upgrade for them.

Personally I'd rather see Oblivion remastered, but that ain't happening.

If it uses the same garbage engine why bother?

Fallout 4 barely looks better than Skyrim as it is. I don't know what fuck all a remaster is going to do.

I just reinstalled Skyrim, booted it up, then went back to Fallout 4. You are out of your goddamn mind if you think F4 barely looks better

An updated Skyrim closer to F4 could be a huge improvement.

daveo42

Banned
Hell, they could just reskin all of Skyrim, call it a new game and most people would eat that shit up. Oh oh oh...and hide the dialogue tree behind four options that all mean yes.

jacobeid

Banned
hey, it's not like everyone is clamoring to hook up their toasters. some people like the boxes they got under their TVs, and now that mods are on console, it's hard for me to laugh at the sheer prospect of a Skyrim remaster like I used to.
it's like
if you made a thread last year which posed a Skyrim remaster as a hypothetical
I'd be like dude no, because I would have assumed a straight port without mod support. because only sony's first parties and epic seem to give a fuck about putting any effort into their remasters this gen. at which point you really are better off pulling out your toaster in any event, least of all not to give Bethesda or any other dev the idea that that kinda low effort garbage is okay.
but things are a bit different now, eh? Graphical update, probable mod support... who knows.
at any rate i'll reserve my chuckles for when they announce the price point. one cent over $40 and I'll be shitting myself. even $40 might be pushing it, but hey, it's Skyrim. It'll sell at $60.

depending on what happens, if you really give a shit about mods, you're probably better off on PC anyway. I can't see so many of the PC's fifty thousand or so mods being easily inserted into whatever particular form of Gamebryo this remaster runs on. but at least now there's a competitive option.

I don't disagree with you but it's not like they're going to use a new engine. It's going to be the same legacy engine as Morrowind which is pretty antithetical to the notion of a remaster.

I played Fallout 4 on PC (I played FO3, Skyrim, and New Vegas on PS3) and just seeing the performance issues on consoles leads me to believe that a Skyrim "remaster" wouldn't be so much a remaster as much as a giant cash grab.

I'd love to be proved wrong. Regardless the game will sell millions.

People who keep saying this obviously don't get that a Morrowind remaster would have to be a ground up remake that they're just not going to ever put the time into.

Which is exactly why some of us are questioning whether or not this will be an actual remaster or a half ass job for some quick cash.

In a post-witcher 3 world I can't go back to this game or anything like it.

Also this. The Witcher completely outclassed Skyrim in terms of quest writing, animation, etc. In that regard I almost feel like releasing a "remastered" version would harm the Elder Scrolls brand more than help it (even though I recognize that a Skyrim remaster would *sell* gangbusters).

ezekial45

Banned
Why a remaster of Skyrim? It doesn't make any sense. How about a remaster of Morrowind.

1. Skyrim was their best selling game ever, and there's still a number of people asking for an updated release on consoles.
2. They've technically already made the remaster years ago. Before Fallout 4 went into developement, they ported over Skyrim to modern consoles as an exercise. So they've essentially been sitting on a fairly developed remaster of the game for some time.
3. With F4's modding taking off, Skyrim would be an idle title to have mods on consoles as well.
4. A Morrowind remaster -- as in a complete visual overhaul -- would require too much time and money to get done. It's not worth it.
5. Skyrim is a solid game, and it will do well.

MattyG

Banned
Why a remaster of Skyrim? It doesn't make any sense. How about a remaster of Morrowind.
People who keep saying this obviously don't get that a Morrowind remaster would have to be a ground up remake that they're just not going to ever put the time into.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

The games are really nothing alike.

Although I will say, loading cells for interior and exterior does suck after the Witcher.

Nothing is more immersive then taking shelter inn a warm in during a thunderstorm, and looking through a window at the storm raging in the distance, shadows playing tricks on your eyes.

ACR0019

After playing HoS and B&W, revisiting Oblivion and that style of combat is just mind-numbing. W3 combat isn't fantastic, but there's a moderate amount of depth to it. Skyrim and the like just feel awful in comparison. Maybe the remaster will come with a cool card game to even things out?

ACR0019

The games are really nothing alike.

Although I will say, loading cells for interior and exterior does suck after the Witcher.

Nothing is more immersive then taking shelter in a warm in during a thunderstorm, and looking through a window at the storm raging in the distance, shadows playing tricks on your eye.

Being able to look through the windows blew my mind.

KodaRuss

Not interested in putting all those hours in again. Too many other games to play.

This has to be a hell of an undertaking to remaster this game.

Might have been more interested in Oblivion or Morrowind maybe but yeah that would be a much larger undertaking

BigTnaples

This guy knows whats up

Just throw Skyrim on BC. It looks fine.

Hahahaha. No.

PS3
newPS3_013.bmp.jpg
newPS3_011.bmp.jpg
WhiterunExterior01.jpg

This running at sub par framerate is not fine.

This looks fine.

No the remaster won't look this good, I am just emphasizing the need for console players to have an updated version of the game.

Nothing is more immersive then taking shelter inn a warm in during a thunderstorm, and looking through a window at the storm raging in the distance, shadows playing tricks on your eyes.

Except for being able to rationalize that decision as something your character organically chose to do in your head-canon. One element of Elder Scrolls that Witcher 3 can't ever supplant.

A remaster of Morrowind would get me excited. I'd love to explore that world in HD. This, not so much. But to be fair, I'll admit I'm not a fan of "remastering" games that are only five years old.

BigTnaples

Except for being able to rationalize that decision as something your character organically chose to do in your head-canon. One element of Elder Scrolls that Witcher 3 can't ever supplant.

Very true.

That feature is my biggest wish for TESVI. It was since last gen, but Wild Hunt got there first. Cross your fingers.

Trace

Banned
If it doesn't come to PC there's no reason to even release it. You're not going to get mods made for it otherwise.

Very true.

That feature is my biggest wish for TESVI. It was since last gen, but Wild Hunt got there first. Cross your fingers.

Fallout 4 made baby steps toward that end. There were a fair amount of open windows usually tucked just out of sight that gave way to incredibly low LOD views of the Commonwealth - a tactic that would probably fare much better with landscapes that aren't so dotted with buildings and details.

CGwizz

boought it on ps3 and what i got was a broken fucking game and 60 euros down the toilet.

No fucking way i give bethesda more money for this game, bethesda should give it for free and still that would never erase the shit time i had trying to fix the games problems and tthe time i spend looking at their forum waiting for them to fix it ...

Bizzquik

The thing about the PC release is that adding game-changing mods becomes something of a Jenga puzzle waiting to collapse on itself.
You need compatibility patches, skyproc patchers, knowledge of Bash and LOOT tools, etc.

I've been waiting for Nexus to finally release its Profile Sharing so that I can just download someone else's hard work instead of having to have copious amounts of patience.

It'd be great if Bethesda figured out a way to improve its PC modding tools for Skyrim while they were releasing a remaster on PS4/XB1.

Bl@de

Ehm ... Ok for consoles I guess. No need for a remaster here.I'll be playing Enderal then to get my fix

GulAtiCa

I'd totally get it if true. I loved the game on 360 when it came out. Played it for hundreds of hours. So much fun .

Top Bottom