• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Bethesda will announce Skyrim remaster at E3

Ive played on PS3 and PC at ultra settings. Anyone think the remaster for PS4 would be anything other than PC high settings?

I might buy again. Awe hell I will buy again. Im a sucker for TES.

jblank83

They makes zero sense. After 3 or so hours I would have pulled the plug and deleted the game.

I spent something like 85 hours before I decided I really disliked the game.

I kept telling myself it was going to get interesting, there must be well designed dungeons somewhere to explore, interesting skills to unlock or items to find, that maybe the guild stuff was worth doing, that eventually the story (all 5 or so hours of it) was going to get good.

It's easy to waste time in the game as well, as it's a lot of wandering around.

OuterLimits

Biggest thing I remember about Skyrim was the one DLC where vampires seemed to kill everyone in my towns. Hell, the cities /villages were small enough anyway. With that DLC, they felt like ghost towns.

RedSwirl

I get that the game sold 30-plus million copies and it's popular enough to make business sense, but I'm not sure what Betehsda could actually do to significantly improve the game.

--A higher resolution version, even with new textures, still wouldn't look anywhere close to modded Skyrim. Maybe if Bethesda actually ported the whole game into the Fallout 4 engine, complete with Fallout 4 lighting and such, it would approach the same ballpark as modded Skyrim. Fewer loading screens would be cool but I'm not holding my breath.

--Console mod support would have to go through Bethesda.net, and those mods, even on PS4 and Xbox One, would be limited to a tiny sliver of the Skyrim mods that have developed over four-plus years on PC. Would Skyrim PC modders even have much incentive to port those mods to consoles after all this time?

120v

Anyone think the remaster for PS4 would be anything other than PC high settings?

recommended specs for the original game were a gtx 260... even the biggest cynic would be led to believe a current gen remaster would blast right through that at high settings

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Assuming this is more of a port of the PC version, what would really sell me on it is if they implemented mods for consoles, the way they're doing it with Fallout 4.

Apathy

Sorry, I got burned with Fallout 4. I am done giving Bethesda the benefit of the doubt. Let alone that I am not admittedly a big Skyrim/Elder Scrolls fan, but Bethesda really screwed over a lot of people with Fallout

The time and money they spend on remastering skyrim could be spent remastering skyrim to create the next elder scrolls game.

Skyrim sold 20 million copies and made hundreds of millions of dollars. Bethesda is going to have no problem allocating money and resources into a new Elder Scrolls game.

Trojan

Im in

Skyrim sold 20 million copies and made hundreds of millions of dollars. Bethesda is going to have no problem allocating money and resources into a new Elder Scrolls game.

People don't understand that Skyrim was a massive success and Bethesda is undoubtedly creating a sequel now or very soon.

RPGam3r

The time and money they spend on remastering skyrim could be spent remastering skyrim to create the next elder scrolls game.

They'll easily make a return on investment with a remaster of a game that sold as well as Skyrim. I don't think this takes that much away from a new TES, I would actually lean towards it giving more than taking.

Ill pick it up. Loved it. Need some Elder Scrolls in me in the meantime until we get a new one. Give me a remaster trilogy with Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim and I will throw all the money I have at you.

rrs

I'd think that a 1080p60 version with the high rez pc textures running on FO4's engine would do fine.

Hell yeah I'll buy it again.

Figured it was coming, Bethesda isn't going to let too much time pass before selling Elder Scrolls games on these consoles and Skyrim is a slam dunk. Hopefully there are some interesting new features or something.

I never finished skyrim, so I just started a new game on PS3 like two days ago, literally at high hrothgar right now as I'm posting this. Graphics took a bit to get used to after playing Uncharted 4, but there is something appealing about beating the shit out of badly animated bandits with my two handed heavy attack while the try to block with a 2ft long axe.

They'll easily make a return on investment with a remaster of a game that sold as well as Skyrim. I don't think this takes that much away from a new TES, I would actually lean towards it giving more than taking.

I was making the same point... Just from a somewhat more negative point of view...

orhnsnmz

So, considering this is real, and as someone who has NEVER touched Skyrim, should I wait for this?

I always wanted to play Skyrim but never found the time and now that TW3 is completed (all expansion packs are out), I'm planning to dive into that too. But playing TW3 first would certainly "diminish" my experience with Skyrim (vanilla or remastered), as it would play and look pretty outdated right?

What's the best way to fare here?

Gurnlei

I wonder what benefits a remaster for the PC can bring that mods couldn't already do with SKSE.

Not sure if I'll get or not. Depends on what they add. Would love to see Morrowind with an updated engine.

JoeBoy101

Skyrim Remaster? Eh. With all the PC mods, texture replacers, high-res skins, and ENB, I frankly doubt they would really be able to beat what's out there.

UNLESS, they launched the assets as a basis for a new engine. That, would be an instant buy.

That, or if they lose their minds and do a Morrowind Remaster. I'd buy three copies of that, and another two just in case.

True Fire

They're going to use console gamers to bring back paid mods. Certain console gamers have shown with Fallout 4 that there is no length they will not go for mods (including thievery, bribery, and threats of violence), and no game has a pre-built modding scene quite like Skyrim.

RedSwirl

People don't understand that Skyrim was a massive success and Bethesda is undoubtedly creating a sequel now or very soon.

But "now," really means "as soon as Fallout 4 development wrapped up" in terms of going into full production. Bethesda games take like five years to get done.

RPGamer92

Banned
They're going to use console gamers to bring back paid mods. Console gamers have already shown with Fallout 4 that there is no length they will not go for mods (including thievery, bribery, and threats of violence), and no game has a pre-built modding scene quite like Skyrim.
What the...

Another chance to side with the Imperial Legion?

giphy.gif

I hope they are doing more than simply making the game run at a higher resolution. Port the game to their latest engine; that would be great. Also: mod support.

rashbeep

Banned
Well that is still an old last-gen engine without modern tech we take for granted this gen.

ENB adds a ton of modern shaders/post processing effects to that old engine. I won't hold my breath for the remaster being that outstanding based on what I saw from Fallout 4. But we'll see.

True Fire

What the...

It's a far-fetched conspiracy theory, but obviously Bethesda isn't going to use their Betheda.net interface on one single game. A Skyrim remaster was obvious based on that fact alone.

As for paid mods... well, they brought mods to consoles for a reason.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So, considering this is real, and as someone who has NEVER touched Skyrim, should I wait for this?

I always wanted to play Skyrim but never found the time and now that TW3 is completed (all expansion packs are out), I'm planning to dive into that too. But playing TW3 first would certainly "diminish" my experience with Skyrim (vanilla or remastered), as it would play and look pretty outdated right?

I mean, they play and are really nothing alike aside from being open world RPGs.

Elder Scrolls is about being who you want to be, and kind of making your own adventure, and self lore. It is first person, and character build vary greatly, and you can play as several different races. You can be a pacifist thief cat, a giant orc archer, a necromancer, a monk, a knight, or whatever the hell you want to be. You go from rags to riches, starting with nothing, ending with huge strongholds, piles of money, and god like powers.

The Witcher is you playing a Witcher named Geralt, and is much more finely tuned to tell a story. (Great one at that) You play in third person, and either focus on combat with your swords, signs(magic), or alchemy. There are still a lot of ways to tweak your build, but not nearly as varied as TES.

They are both amazing games, and although personally, I don't feel one diminishes the other, on a technical level, Skyrim will seem dated to Wild Hunt. At least on scale, as Novigrad is the size of an actual city, where as cities in TES games are more like villages.

Also, tonally, The Elder Scrolls is more like Lord of the Rings, where as The Witcher is more like Game of Thrones.

Awesome, I haven't played this in years, I don't have a gaming PC and MOD support would be the cherry on top! I love me some Skyrim

Biggest thing I remember about Skyrim was the one DLC where vampires seemed to kill everyone in my towns. Hell, the cities /villages were small enough anyway. With that DLC, they felt like ghost towns.

Hopefully there will be mod support. There was a very useful one where villagers hid in their houses durring vampire and dragon attacks.

VanWinkle

I would actually be very interested in this sine I've never played it. Depending on the quality of the remaster, I could very well be in.

120v

most people who compare the two games are being asinine. the only similarities they share is being open world in a fantasy setting, other than that they play completely differently

if for whatever reason you decide to pass up skyrim (or any elder scrolls) don't let it be over the witcher

Top Bottom