• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Bravely Second's "Tomahawk" class changed to a cowboy one (+ costume edit)

I can only imagine how confusing this has to be to the developers outside the US. This class doesn't sample from Native American culture any differently than they've sampled from various real world cultures, pop culture, or literary depictions for any of the other classes.

GorillaJu

There's actually nothing wrong with the costume, it's a clever combination of Osaka 'gal' style with stereotypical American Indian motifs. But it's smart of them to change it given the backlash that would happen in the US if it were left as is, as too many people will see it as an attack on a marginalized social monitory.

It being replaced by 'cowboy' is pretty inconsequential, in this case. The overall aesthetic doesn't have to change much since it's still mostly brown leathers, and Cowboys fit into the same 'Cowboys and Indians' era of Americana and can use rifles as well. All in all a good decision but I'm happy to have the original version, I'm never thrilled about content being modified for different regions, regardless of how it was changed.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
And this is what all the whining about cultural appropriation gets you. Less cultural diversity. Yay.
This is literally the exact opposite of cultural diversity.

There's actually nothing wrong with the costume, it's a clever combination of Osaka 'gal' style with stereotypical American Indian motifs. But it's smart of them to change it given the backlash that would happen in the US if it were left as is, as too many people will see it as an attack on a marginalized social monitory.
That's the problem. And there's nothing clever about "sexy" bikini outfits. As far as character designs go they're among the laziest.

Top Bottom