• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Bravely Second's "Tomahawk" class changed to a cowboy one (+ costume edit)

The better question is why does a class called TOMAHAWK have a damn bow? They should be throwing tomahawks .

Or throw pies.

They shouldn't have been called Tomahawks at all, it sounds like the bare minimum of research went into the design of this class.

Johndoey

Banned
Leave in a stereotypical native american outfit done 'sexy' like' and it's clearly an insult to them... Remove it and it's clearly an insult to them and white washing gaming further.

Now I think we can all agree the tomahawk outfit is inappropriate... but who gets to decide what would be? I mean, even if you got a native american tribe on board, there would likely be many other tribes that would disapprove.

Explain how its white washing?

I am a quarter Native American, I find the costume to be very cool.

My wife (a woman) finds the sexy aspect of the costume to be cute.

And yet here you are speaking for us.

It doesn't matter in the least that you are a quarter Native American. Why do people keep trotting this shit out?

It's a video game, not a history book.

And this is just a lazy dismissal.

Warxard

Banned
You are only upset because I don't share your viewpoint.

If I had said "I am part Native American and this grossly offends me," I suspect that my "anecdotal example" would not have been so summarily disregarded.

I couldn't care less at what you are or not offended by. Seriously. I don't even know you.

I'm not even remotely bothered by the design either. But you know,

Well let me play devil's advocate here:

WHAT IF, hypothetically speaking, what if people had this ability they used to 'emphatize' with people who maybe are not for a certain thing? Maybe, just maybe there are other people with differing thought processes that don't follow yours and mine. Wouldn't that be outrageous? And what if it was possible to respect those ideals and thought processes instead of doubling down on ridiculous "oh im fine, it doesn't effect me it shouldn't effect you" comments?

I mean that'd be fucking crazy if people could do that. Someday.

--

But then again, you seem admant on stating your point at least once per thread. Do you, homie.

Chastten

Banned
It's exhausting having to keep up with what exactly insults an individual or group or race or whatever. Seems like every Nintendo game that doesn't have Mario in the title gets censored one way or another. I'm beginning to understand why so many games don't get localized anymore. >_>

Alucrid

Banned
It's exhausting having to keep up with what exactly insults an individual or group or race or whatever. Seems like every Nintendo game that doesn't have Mario in the title gets censored one way or another. I'm beginning to understand why so many games don't get localized anymore. >_>

it's really not that hard

things like this aren't the reason why games don't get localized.

The logic behind this is a bit backwards, he shouldn't speak for you since you're quarter native american, which makes you speak for the others?

yeah it's so difficult to not be a jackass in today's modern world, omg
Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

Not really.

Warxard

Banned

Yeah it's really hard not respecting another person's space and piece of mind and apologizing if you make an accident.

Games don't get localized because they don't sell, not because you're not seeing titty in your game.

Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

I don't expect japanese developers to do research to make inclusive, faithful recreations of certain culture qualities. Because these are the same people who think big lips are a common way to visualize black men.

It's a video game, not a history book.

I know that, but I own the game and it just feels out of place since none of the other classes are named directly after weapons, so it seems like they were stumped as to what they should call it and just "eh, fuck it, let's go with Tomahawk" It comes off as lazy and it doesn't even make sense since their specialty is gunplay.

EDIT: Seeing the missile explanation it makes more sense.

I know that, but I own the game and it just feels out of place since none of the other classes are named directly after weapons, so it seems like they were stumped as to what they should call it and just "eh, fuck it, let's go with Tomahawk" It comes off as lazy and it doesn't even make sense since their specialty is gunplay.

After learning that its named after the missile, that's pretty clever.

Chastten

Banned
it's really not that hard

things like this aren't the reason why games don't get localized.

It is hard, really. Call me insenstive and what not, but I really don't see what's so offensive about these costumes, nor do I understand all the outcry about the new Fire Emblem, Xenoblade etc. Now I don't really care about the changes either as they don't affect the game (besides releasedates probably) but yeah, reading these topics make me cringe.

Nope, not directly, but if you suddenly face a lot of outcry over a little detail in a game thats bound to not sell a lot anyways, and you have to change that, it suddenly becomes a lot less financially viable to localize it at all.

redcrayon

You'd think common sense would have the weapon that the class is named after, but eh. ... I'd like pies to be thrown though.. Life always needs a little running gag.
To be fair, it's not like FF dragoons represent either the 17th/18th century European cavalry formations or the French 'dragon' cavalry firearm that the term comes from either, it's been used in FF terms to mean 'leaping dragon-themed knight with spear' for twenty-odd years instead.

Maybe they just thought it sounded cool. Same goes for general fantasy usage of 'Paladin' too, both terms have a specific historical meaning, but sometimes games designers just choose it because it sounds evocative. 'Paladin' for 'knightly', 'Dragoon' for 'draconic knight', 'Tomahawk' for 'tribal warrior'. I can see how they get there.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
There's a difference between the original creators changing something and it being their decision to change something. I feel as if that's important to note. Also, how do we know this was their decision? And why would that be the case, if its only being changed for the Western market? Does it not at all seem suspicious that this change isn't being made for Japan as well? I mean if the original creator felt that this is a better outfit, wouldn't an update be made on the Japanese release as well?
It could've been a decision by the creators to change something for a different market. Considering that the people who oppose these sort of outfits most likely wouldn't reach them. It can be inferred that they decided to do this themselves.

You being a quarter Native American doesn't make you the final authority on the matter. Neither does the terribly overused "My wife, girlfriend, f-e-m-a-l-e friend doesn't find this sexist" excuse that ALWAYS comes up either.

It's another 8-4 localization, can't say I'm surprised at this point. Original costume looks a lot better than the new one, maybe the EU version will keep the original but I'm not holding my breath.

sensui-tomo

It could've been a decision by the creators to change something for a different market. Considering that the people who oppose these sort of outfits most likely wouldn't reach them. It can be inferred that they decided to do this themselves.

You being a quarter Native American doesn't make you the final authority on the matter. Neither does the terribly overused "My wife, girlfriend, f-e-m-a-l-e friend doesn't find this sexist" excuse that ALWAYS comes up either.

not targeting you, but is the "My wife (a female)" the new "my friend whom is black" ?
Shit is bad to read. I like the lewd outfits... but damn if i see some dumb comments made for it.

Oregano

It's another 8-4 localization, can't say I'm surprised at this point. Original costume looks a lot better than the new one, maybe the EU version will keep the original but I'm not holding my breath.

Is It?

I would have assumed Binari Sonari would be handling it again. They did a pretty good job with the first game.

autoduelist

Many character designs are based on 'other' cultures. This makes perfect sense, since we have a world of cultures to sample from.

Many character designs are sexy. This makes perfect sense, since we, in general, are horny beings.

I have no issue with the original designs, or the remade designs. Whatever. All cultures, races, ethnicities, and religions get stereotyped to some degree because stereotyping is part of how we make sense of the infinite variety of human beings.

You put a suit on someone, or a baseball cap, or a cowboy hat, or camouflage, or whatever and it all has meaning. So does a Native American costume. Give a character a boomerang and an Australian accent, or make a character look like a snake-charming middle eastern shaman, or a white American alpha-frat boy, or a blond cheerleader.... it's all stereotyping, and ultimately it's all okay, because it's how -we- work. Glasses imply smart and nerdy, etc, etc. If it wasn't how we worked, we wouldn't instantly identify and assign meaning to those images in the first place. Can it be offensive? Sure. Most things can. But merely making a stereotype 'sexy' is stretching it, imo. Sanitizing everything is even more offensive in my opinion.

This seems silly.

So Americans (or any countries population for that matter) couldn't wear traditional foreign wear then such as kimonos (Japan) or sombreros (Spain/Mexico)?

Seems silly to me given the fact that a good majority of the world adapted to wearing the Western/European style of clothing line. Should we call out those people as well since they aren't English/American?

Shit this video calls it like it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwoSYWIgV9Y

Im with you here, but we dont wear sombreros in Spain :p
Change that for sevillana dresses, and your point still stands.

Assuming he was talking about Indian as in of the country India, then Indian American is correct. Like anything else: Italian American, French American, Chinese American, etc. American Indian is used as an alternative for Native American.

Ah, you're right. I got the post mixed up, my mistake.

Top Bottom