• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Forza 6 and Forza Horizons 3 coming to Windows 10

As far as I understand this only allows you to convert an existing Win32 application to an AppX package. It doesn't mean that the application can be published as a Win32 application in the store. Am I wrong?

Hm - may be right, but I believe it works from the binaries i.e. it's more of a packaging thing than a "recompile your code" thing.

Zedox

I think I've asked you this before and you didn't answer. Why do you think they are giving out free Windows 10 versions of the game to all Xbox One pre-orders of the game and not the other way round?

1. Stores aren't unified yet as they are with Windows mobile (currently has cross buy).
2. Windows Store doesn't currently have preorder ability.
3. They are clearly trying a test to see how much interest this garners so a preorder is a way to gauge interest in the game and cross buy.

Shin-Ra

It's a bold strategy, not without risk, but it's a move away from the "who sold more boxes" console war mindset for sure.
It's a move away from the "who sold more boxes" console war mindset to "who got more users to sign in" service war mindset.

The former is 100% paying customers, the latter, Microsoft knows but they don't share.

I think it's justifiable that MS wants to push their store.
But, as of now, it is inherently different to Steam, Origin etc.: The game runs as a Windows store app instead of a regular .exe. This means:

- No exclusive fullscreen mode -> Forced VSync, no way to use GSync or FreeSync
- No SLI/Crossfire support
- No injection for stuff like monitoring or post processing effects (ReShade, Fraps, Afterburner, GeDoSaTo..)
- No graphics driver profiles useable
- No modding

Microsoft really needs to change that.

If a core of the offering is console/PC cross-buy and cross-play, access to the files to allow modding or running external shit will wreck that in an instant. every game will be like COD on 360...wallhacking, bots and all that shit that makes it intolerable.

It has to run like a closed-console on your machine without external interference. Ideally it allows graphics cards to take advantage of their features to run the game optimally, but the trade-off is opening any door means every game will have some exploit.

Clearly my opinion is that the expoit/hack thing is net bad, and one thing i like about the console experience is that it is relatively a non-issue.

Qassim

fair enough - but the point is that microsoft are still allowing you to play the game - maybe with those restrictions you've pointed out - but at least you CAN play the game if you wish to on PC.

People need to get it out of their head that Microsoft is doing us a favour here and we should just be grateful. Yes, I'm glad Microsoft is releasing it on PC, but they're doing this for their own business reasons not as a favour or goodwill gesture for PC gamers.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with voicing your concerns with what they're planning to release - in fact, it should be encouraged. If we just thought "Oh, it's a shame it doesn't do x, y and z, but at least they're releasing it on PC so I won't complain" - then Microsoft wouldn't feel the pressure to improve things.

Pakoe

I would definitely love having the Forza games on PC, so far i'm still on Win8.1 just because i'm too lazy to click the update button.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Hopefully the rumor is true. Would love to play Forza on PC with a high end wheel and pedals.

Jameson

They'll probably drop the XBOX brand name, like Nintendo will with the Wii... They could rebrand their next console to a window 10 device without much loss.

They'll probably drop the XBOX brand name, like Nintendo will with the Wii... They could rebrand their next console to a window 10 device without much loss.

Not a chance, MS spent 1.15 Billion Dollars to save the Xbox brand after the Red Ring event. As a brand, Xbox is too important to MS and one they cannot lose.

Jameson

Not a chance, MS spent 1.15 Billion Dollars to save the Xbox brand after the Red Ring event. As a brand, Xbox is too important to MS and one they cannot lose.

Their ecosystem needs to have one name, having their first party games say "Xbox & Windows 10 exclusive" is a PR nightmare.

Xbudz

Here's what I can see happening: There will be another Xbox "console"... but that console will optionally run the full desktop Windows and might get hardware revisions more frequently than the traditional console cycle. Microsoft doesn't want to be in a position where they can lose again, so they'll just market a PC as a console instead.

This is not how multi-billion dollar corporations make strategic decisions. They don't invest further money to compensate failures from the past, it's all about the future. The former MS CEO thought XBOX was an integral part of MS' future. The current one might have other visions, and they are crucial for XBOX' future, not that 1,15bn dollar check from a couple of years ago.

Kezen

Banned
Their ecosystem needs to have one name, having their first party games say "Xbox & Windows 10 exclusive" is a PR nightmare.

Hence why Windows 10 is part of the Xbox ecosystem. Forza 6 and Gears 4 would technically still be exclusive to Xbox.

I have been thinking about this event coming up on the 25 that would be a great time to announce a steam box type PC for Windows. When they made the surface pro and it eventually started making them money I would think why not try with gaming PCs

Sydle

I have been thinking about this event coming up on the 25 that would be a great time to announce a steam box type PC for Windows. When they made the surface pro and it eventually started making them money I would think why not try with gaming PCs

The MS hardware team (formerly the Surface team) just got the Xbox hardware rolled into their group last summer. It's hard for me to believe they are anywhere past conceptual-stage planning at this point.

Hence why Windows 10 is part of the Xbox ecosystem. Forza 6 and Gears 4 would technically still be exclusive to Xbox.

damn that's smart playing that pr game lol . Even when the commercial comes up and they say Xbox exclusive they can have a windows sign and a lot of casuals will just think its cause MS owns Xbox

Kezen

Banned
damn that's smart playing that pr game lol . Even when the commercial comes up and they say Xbox exclusive they can have a windows sign and a lot of casuals will just think its cause MS owns Xbox

That's the whole point. Quantum Break is Xbox exclusive, not "Xbox One" exclusive.
This distinction matters.

And that's fine. The Xbox app exists on Windows 10 for a reason after all.

etta

my hard graphic balls
That's the whole point. Quantum Break is Xbox exclusive, not "Xbox One" exclusive.
This distinction matters.

And that's fine. The Xbox app exists on Windows 10 for a reason after all.
Yea, they can still say "Xbox Exclusive" for every Xbox and Windows 10 title.

l7OSpXb.jpg

Hawk269

The no SLI Support is what is killing me about this whole thing and pretty much that is my only negative. I game on 4k TV, so I need the horse power of 2xTitan X to get my games at 60fps (depending on game). If games in the Win APP won't allow SLI, then the majority of games I would to play at 4k, will be limited to 30fps or less at that resolution. I could not handle Forza 6 at anything than rock solid 60fps, but this wont be possible until they can fix this major oversight.

GHG

1. Stores aren't unified yet as they are with Windows mobile (currently has cross buy).
2. Windows Store doesn't currently have preorder ability.
3. They are clearly trying a test to see how much interest this garners so a preorder is a way to gauge interest in the game and cross buy.

I find it hard to believe that Microsoft, a software company, cannot get these things sorted out if they wanted to. Its pretty obvious that they simply don't want to.

Zedox

I find it hard to believe that Microsoft, a software company, cannot get these things sorted out if they wanted to. Its pretty obvious that they simply don't want to.

Uhm, they are unifying the stores this year. It took them some months to get it working with mobile as well... software development isnt simple...especially on a worldwide scale.

I wonder what the calculus was that made them decide this. The obvious paths are to keep pushing xbox one as the exclusive platform, or dual release and get more sales with PC version.

However how many people are just going to stop buying the xbox one versions and see how the PC versions shake out? How many people will let their xbox gold subs lapse?

I have all the platforms, I generally game on consoles but "digitally collect" on PC as games drop in price. These announcements really make things muddy for me and its simply easier just holding off on buying new stuff and waiting to see what happens with prices and W10 store integration (issues mentioned above like g-Sync and borderless modes). I don't really have much trust with Microsoft on the PC platform, given all the GFWL debacles.

I do really like the "get both versions when you buy xbox one digital" for QB, but iirc that only applies to pre orders and only digital copies. Not a fan of either policy but I can understand it. But yeah, for now for me it personally has the opposite effect of what Microsoft may want - I'm just gonna hold off on buying anything new and see what shakes out.

GHG

Uhm, they are unifying the stores this year. It took them some months to get it working with mobile as well... software development isnt simple...especially on a worldwide scale.

Oh trust me, I know it isn't simple :)

Like I said, I just find it hard to believe that a company of their scale couldn't have something like this ready, or even better yet, have had it implemented from the start if this was going to be their plan all along.

Relativ9

Oh god this makes me sooo happy :D I've been a huge fan of the Forza series for a while now, even buying a 360 only because of it (and eventually Alan Wake). Last year I upgraded my PC (Skylake i7-6700K, 980Ti, 16GB of 3000Mhz DDR4) and I would absolutely love to discover what a Forza game looks like cranked up to the max!

Kezen

Banned
It's a bad move to sell on more platforms?

But we don't know how well it would sell. I suspected the reason why it has not come to PC was because the ROI is not there, not that Microsoft prevented them from doing so.

I'm not interested in this game (would have already bought a console otherwise) but it would certainly further boost Microsoft's credibility if such a title was made available on the Windows 10 store. Sadly I can't argue with the economics, Sunset is really a console game through and through, I just don't see much demand for this kind of game on PC. Porting it to PC must not be straightforward at all either considering it runs on a custom engine designed for consoles.

Halo would have much more chances of bringing massive revenue to Microsoft on the PC platform than Sunset.

I think those who really want to play this game should simply get an Xbox One at this point. I'd say there is no chance it releases on PC.

The no SLI Support is what is killing me about this whole thing and pretty much that is my only negative. I game on 4k TV, so I need the horse power of 2xTitan X to get my games at 60fps (depending on game). If games in the Win APP won't allow SLI, then the majority of games I would to play at 4k, will be limited to 30fps or less at that resolution. I could not handle Forza 6 at anything than rock solid 60fps, but this wont be possible until they can fix this major oversight.
Didnt someone in another thread say sli is fine it was just Rottr that had a specific issue? Will try and dig out later.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wonder what the calculus was that made them decide this. The obvious paths are to keep pushing xbox one as the exclusive platform, or dual release and get more sales with PC version.

However how many people are just going to stop buying the xbox one versions and see how the PC versions shake out? How many people will let their xbox gold subs lapse?

I have all the platforms, I generally game on consoles but "digitally collect" on PC as games drop in price. These announcements really make things muddy for me and its simply easier just holding off on buying new stuff and waiting to see what happens with prices and W10 store integration (issues mentioned above like g-Sync and borderless modes). I don't really have much trust with Microsoft on the PC platform, given all the GFWL debacles.

I do really like the "get both versions when you buy xbox one digital" for QB, but iirc that only applies to pre orders and only digital copies. Not a fan of either policy but I can understand it. But yeah, for now for me it personally has the opposite effect of what Microsoft may want - I'm just gonna hold off on buying anything new and see what shakes out.

My hpguess is at least in part they want more eyeballs on the win10 store in general and Xbox games are a way to get people in there. They want to persuade many more developers to make universal apps that'll net them their 30%, and work on PC and ideally mobile/Xbox too. But so far they just aren't getting any traction

onanie

But we don't know how well it would sell. I suspected the reason why it has not come to PC was because the ROI is not there, not that Microsoft prevented them from doing so.

I'm not interested in this game (would have already bought a console otherwise) but it would certainly further boost Microsoft's credibility if such a title was made available on the Windows 10 store. Sadly I can't argue with the economics, Sunset is really a console game through and through, I just don't see much demand for this kind of game on PC. Porting it to PC must not be straightforward at all either considering it runs on a custom engine designed for consoles.

Halo would have much more chances of bringing massive revenue to Microsoft on the PC platform than Sunset.

I think those who really want to play this game should simply get an Xbox One at this point. I'd say there is no chance it releases on PC.

Pretty shaky to suggest it would be extraordinarily costly to port a direct X game to yet another direct X platform, let alone for a developer like insomniac. It is also rather subjective to suggest that this game will not be a good fit for PC.

foxbeldin

You are aware that the current Xbox runs Windows 10 right?

Yes? Did it run it when it was released?

My point is : MS is fully embracing the PC/Xbox reunion, so the next console will seal the deal even with it's name.

And also.. it was just a pun.

Kezen

Banned
Pretty shaky to suggest it would be extraordinarily costly to port a direct X game to yet another direct X platform, let alone for a developer like insomniac. It is also rather subjective to suggest that this game will not be a good fit for PC.

I'm assuming a lot.
First, that whatever engine used is heavily tailored for the Xbox One and its custom directx, therefore a DX11 or DX12 port could certainly be costly which means more sales will be needed to recoup the costs. I'm not blaming Insomniac for deciding it's not worth it.

I'd like to be proven wrong of course but really not everything can sell well on PC.

If it's not announced this Feb it's simply not coming to PC, ever.

Edit : Zedox's source makes zero mention of additional Windows 10 games announcements so it's safe to say Sunset will remain a console exclusive.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=194924009#post194924009

Top Bottom