• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Forza 6 and Forza Horizons 3 coming to Windows 10

Zedox

Oh trust me, I know it isn't simple :)

Like I said, I just find it hard to believe that a company of their scale couldn't have something like this ready, or even better yet, have had it implemented from the start if this was going to be their plan all along.

Software development is never going to be how it used to be. Companies are not going to just drop the software (in "finished" form) and be done with it. That's the old way of doing things and it take a tremendous risk and you can't change your software as quickly as the market moves. Software is made in "agile" form so that when a need arises, the developer can quickly move (as quick as needed). This way software can be released quickly to get it out to users and add on as they go. It's basically how facebook evolved into what it is. MS could have had all this ready...but then Windows 10 wouldn't have been out, the Xbox One would have been released much later, etc...These games are just coming out and later this year it will be rectified...and not that many people are going to be using it in a way where it hurts their experience so it's really not that big of a deal. Priority of other issues apparently took over that.

I'm assuming a lot.
First, that whatever engine used is heavily tailored for the Xbox One and its custom directx, therefore a DX11 or DX12 port could certainly be costly which means more sales will be needed to recoup the costs. I'm not blaming Insomniac for deciding it's not worth it.

I'd like to be proven wrong of course but really not everything can sell well on PC.

If it's not announced this Feb it's simply not coming to PC, ever.

Edit : Zedox's source makes zero mention of additional Windows 10 games announcements so it's safe to say Sunset will remain a console exclusive.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=194924009#post194924009

Sunset could possibly to go PC so that Insomniac/MS can get some more money off of it but I don't think it will be announced at this event as this event seems to be focused on future games. But I think it would be wise for MS to announce it though...

Kezen

Banned
Software development is never going to be how it used to be. Companies are not going to just drop the software (in "finished" form) and be done with it. That's the old way of doing things and it take a tremendous risk and you can't change your software as quickly as the market moves. Software is made in "agile" form so that when a need arises, the developer can quickly move (as quick as needed). This way software can be released quickly to get it out to users and add on as they go. It's basically how facebook evolved into what it is. MS could have had all this ready...but then Windows 10 wouldn't have been out, the Xbox One would have been released much later, etc...These games are just coming out and later this year it will be rectified...and not that many people are going to be using it in a way where it hurts their experience so it's really not that big of a deal. Priority of other issues apparently took over that.

Sunset could possibly to go PC so that Insomniac/MS can get some more money off of it but I don't think it will be announced at this event as this event seems to be focused on future games. But I think it would be wise for MS to announce it though...

The game released in 2014. It's not ancient but it's rather old, keeping that sort of announcement for E3 2016 or Gamescom is not wise. If they had any intention of bolstering their Windows 10 store with Sunset I assume it would be Feb. 25 or never.
Just speculating of course but few will care later in 2016 for a 2014 release.
To me the Feb 25 could be a good place to make such announcements, it's an Xbox / Windows 10 event after all. What I mean is that the store needs games, and even with Gears UE, Fable Legends and Quantum Break this spring I'm afraid it's not enough to generate massive traffic. Maybe porting some older Xbox games could make their offer much more attractive, and Sunset is not exactly selling Xbox Ones right now, is it ? Maybe in the eyes of Microsoft it would not negatively impact the console to the same extent as say Forza 6 which is a fairly fresh release.

Zedox

The game released in 2014. It's not ancient but it's rather old, keeping that sort of announcement for E3 2016 or Gamescom is not wise. If they had any intention of bolstering their Windows 10 store with Sunset I assume it would be Feb. 25 or never.
Just speculating of course but few will care later in 2016 for a 2014 release.
To me the Feb 25 could be a good place to make such announcements, it's an Xbox / Windows 10 event after all. What I mean is that the store needs games, and even with Gears UE, Fable Legends and Quantum Break this spring I'm afraid it's not enough to generate massive traffic. Maybe porting some older Xbox games could make their offer much more attractive, and Sunset is not exactly selling Xbox Ones right now, is it ? Maybe in the eyes of Microsoft it would not negatively impact the console to the same extent as say Forza 6 which is a fairly fresh release.

I 100% agree. I honestly think that they could reveal Sunset going to w10 as an article on news.xbox.com. It doesn't have to be some big splash. Would it be great to say all of their past exclusives would go to W10 store, sure (akin to BC) but I don't think that they will. I wasn't interested in QB that much but after the previews and the W10 announcement, I did hunker down and digitally pre-order it. This event will be interesting nonetheless.

Kezen

Banned
I 100% agree. I honestly think that they could reveal Sunset going to w10 as an article on news.xbox.com. It doesn't have to be some big splash. Would it be great to say all of their past exclusives would go to W10 store, sure (akin to BC) but I don't think that they will. I wasn't interested in QB that much but after the previews and the W10 announcement, I did hunker down and digitally pre-order it. This event will be interesting nonetheless.

Interesting times ahead for sure. Surely they plan on bringing more AAA stuff to the Windows 10 store. The question is now which games could be good candidates.
No one would say no to Sunset Overdrive of course, but maybe there are other IPs such as Halo which could really seal the deal, Forza is a great franchise as well, and Gears is my favourite in Microsoft's portfolio but I'm probably in the minority on that one.

Zedox

Interesting times ahead for sure. Surely they plan on bringing more AAA stuff to the Windows 10 store. The question is now which games could be good candidates.
No one would say no to Sunset Overdrive of course, but maybe there are other IPs such as Halo which could really seal the deal, Forza is a great franchise as well, and Gears is my favourite in Microsoft's portfolio but I'm probably in the minority on that one.

Honestly, I think Forza will be announced for W10 just for the fact that they already had it running on Windows 8 through the Universal Windows Platform before (I thought it would come out for PC then). I think Gears will be as well. I think all of their IPs going forward will be working on Windows 10. I think Halo would be a great IP for them to put there as well. It's all good imo.

Kezen

Banned
Honestly, I think Forza will be announced for W10 just for the fact that they already had it running on Windows 8 through the Universal Windows Platform before (I thought it would come out for PC then). I think Gears will be as well. I think all of their IPs going forward will be working on Windows 10. I think Halo would be a great IP for them to put there as well. It's all good imo.

Do you see the rumors going around that Gears 4, Scalebound Forza 6 and Horizon 3 will come to Windows 10 confirmed at the February event ?

Zedox

Do you see the rumors going around that Gears 4, Scalebound Forza 6 and Horizon 3 will come to Windows 10 confirmed at the February event ?

I see rumors but it is based off of a typo. If anything, I think they'll announce all their ipso going to w10 in one swoop. And seeing that the xbo will get mouse support (already supports kb), primarily PC games may come to XBO, but that I think will happen either e3 or next year.

JaggedSac

Yeah not that one. Most likely at E3.
What about the remainings of my list ?

In my opinion, those might get announced as day and date Win10 arrivals at their BUILD keynote. As a sort of, "hey look at what we're doing with the Windows Store sort of thing".

Rightly or wrongly MS bringing their titles to W10 is garnering a lot of attention with the negative comments outweighing the positive ones, because of this I think the structure and content of the event next week has probably changed and they'll be looking to make announcements to get people back on side.

What this could actually entail I don't really know though lol

Kezen

Banned
I see rumors but it is based off of a typo. If anything, I think they'll announce all their ipso going to w10 in one swoop. And seeing that the xbo will get mouse support (already supports kb), primarily PC games may come to XBO, but that I think will happen either e3 or next year.

By "all" to you include the previously released Xbox One exclusives ?
That would be pretty ballsy.

As for myself I think there is definitely a chance Gears 4 will make it to PC, but I really don't know when they will announce it. They have not bothered with the Ultimate Edition for nothing.
My dream would be that they bring the rest of the series but that's a very long shot I know.

Zedox

Rightly or wrongly MS bringing their titles to W10 is garnering a lot of attention with the negative comments outweighing the positive ones, because of this I think the structure and content of the event next week has probably changed and they'll be looking to make announcements to get people back on side.

What this could actually entail I don't really know though lol

I highly doubt Microsoft is going to change what they are going to say on their schedule based off of the "feedback" that occurred in the last week.

By "all" to you include the previously released Xbox One exclusives ?
That would be pretty ballsy.

As for myself I think there is definitely a chance Gears 4 will make it to PC, but I really don't know when they will announce it. They have not bothered with the Ultimate Edition for nothing.
My dream would be that they bring the rest of the series but that's a very long shot I know.

I should have stated...all future IP game releases.

Kezen

Banned
I highly doubt Microsoft is going to change what they are going to say on their schedule based off of the "feedback" that occurred in the last week.

I should have stated...all future IP game releases.

That would be great, but I think the store will be really barren for a while then.

Zedox

That would be great, but I think the store will be really barren for a while then.

The store has always been barren and it's up to MS to put good software on it, make it easier for devs to make Xbox games/apps (which is coming this year...look for //build/ conference) and put it in the store. 3rd parties are the ones that make up the store, 1st party is there to ignite it (that goes beyond games but it is applicable...look at Steam).

JaggedSac

Lol

Kezen

Banned
The store has always been barren and it's up to MS to put good software on it, make it easier for devs to make Xbox games/apps (which is coming this year...look for //build/ conference) and put it in the store. 3rd parties are the ones that make up the store, 1st party is there to ignite it (that goes beyond games but it is applicable...look at Steam).

That's right they need to start the fire and I'm not certain the spring 1st party lineup is sufficient. In my opinion they need at least one more AAA exclusives in that timeframe, I hope the Forza 6 on PC rumor is true.

ekim

Little bit offtopic, but do you know if the opening speech by Phil Spencer is getting live-streamed resp. if there are any announcements planned?

Kezen

Banned
Yeah, they've never done that before or even recently ;)

The general feedback is actually positive. Only a tiny vocal minority is angry but not worth addressing.

I believe Quantum Break is far from the last major AAA game Microsoft are planning on bringing to Windows 10. More are to come I'm sure.

Well there goes my reason to buy an xbox one

edit:
I was really considering purchasing an xbox one because of Forza Horizons 2 and Forza 6. If the horizons sequel and forza 6 is coming to PC, there is no reason for me to purchase an Xbox One considering I would be able to play both games on PC soon anyways.

This is getting pretty old. If I had a dollar for everytime someone has said these exact words... and usually it's the same people! You would think that after their last 5 reasons to not buy an Xbox One they would have lost all interest by now, but we are stuck in this never-ending cycle lol.

If true, I'll probably sell my Xbox One and finally invest in a better PC. Halo alone is not enough reason for me to keep it, especially when the racing wheel I use (G29) is only compatible with PC and PS4.

Halo will absolutely be on W10.

Pretty crazy how many games I will have on Windows 10 when all is said and done.

Zedox

That's right they need to start the fire and I'm not certain the spring 1st party lineup is sufficient. In my opinion they need at least one more AAA exclusives in that timeframe, I hope the Forza 6 on PC rumor is true.

Well, majority of their 1st party IPs are coming to PC. Just knowing that helps but the store isn't going to be filled with good content over night. Look at all the games that are coming to Windows 10.

•Quantum Break (Xbox One & Windows 10) – April 5, 2016
•Halo Wars 2 (Xbox One & Windows 10) – Fall 2016
•Fable Legends Open Beta (Xbox One & Windows 10) – Spring 2016
•ReCore (Xbox One & Windows 10) – 2016
•Sea of Thieves (Xbox One & Windows 10) – 2016
•Gigantic (Xbox One & Windows 10) – 2016
•Killer Instinct: Season 3 (Xbox One & Windows 10) – March 2016
•Gears of War: Ultimate Edition (Windows 10) – Spring 2016
•Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition (Xbox One & Windows 10) – Spring 2016

•Cobalt (Xbox One, Xbox 360 & Steam) – Feb. 2, 2016
•Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) – Multiplayer in Summer 2016
•Gears of War 4 (Xbox One) – Multiplayer Beta in Spring 2016/Launch in Fall 2016

You have 9 games coming to W10 (when none were). You have Gears 4 and Crackdown 3 that haven't been announced as coming to W10 (but you can see that if Gears: UE is...4 definitely has to, and Crackdown is the cloud game and only the multiplayer is coming out this year). So if we included those, that's 11 games. Cobalt may get a W10 release but it's already on Steam, we'll see if it comes later. That's a good lineup of games (and we also don't know about Scalebound that comes out next year...I'd be surprised if it wasn't W10 since it has more time to develop just like QB did). This doesn't even count the games that MS hasn't announced this year (usually E3). So for the Windows Store (which the Xbox Store assimilates into) has a good bunch of games coming to it.

ekim said:
Little bit offtopic, but do you know if the opening speech by Phil Spencer is getting live-streamed resp. if there are any announcements planned?

That I don't know. I can see if I can find out. Just a little later, gotta get ready for work. LOL.

Kezen

Banned
Halo will absolutely be on W10.

Halo Wars 2 you mean, but no sign of the FPS Halo games on Windows 10 yet.

I hope Microsoft are serious about building a great list of Xbox One games on Windows 10. Quantum Break, Gears UE, Fable Legends, Sea of Thieves, Recore. More I'm forgetting, hopefully Gears 4 and Forza are next.

Well, majority of their 1st party IPs are coming to PC. Just knowing that helps but the store isn't going to be filled with good content over night. Look at all the games that are coming to Windows 10.

•Quantum Break (Xbox One & Windows 10) – April 5, 2016
•Halo Wars 2 (Xbox One & Windows 10) – Fall 2016
•Fable Legends Open Beta (Xbox One & Windows 10) – Spring 2016
•ReCore (Xbox One & Windows 10) – 2016
•Sea of Thieves (Xbox One & Windows 10) – 2016
•Gigantic (Xbox One & Windows 10) – 2016
•Killer Instinct: Season 3 (Xbox One & Windows 10) – March 2016
•Gears of War: Ultimate Edition (Windows 10) – Spring 2016
•Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition (Xbox One & Windows 10) – Spring 2016

•Cobalt (Xbox One, Xbox 360 & Steam) – Feb. 2, 2016
•Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) – Multiplayer in Summer 2016
•Gears of War 4 (Xbox One) – Multiplayer Beta in Spring 2016/Launch in Fall 2016

You have 9 games coming to W10 (when none were). You have Gears 4 and Crackdown 3 that haven't been announced as coming to W10 (but you can see that if Gears: UE is...4 definitely has to, and Crackdown is the cloud game and only the multiplayer is coming out this year). So if we included those, that's 11 games. Cobalt may get a W10 release but it's already on Steam, we'll see if it comes later. That's a good lineup of games (and we also don't know about Scalebound that comes out next year...I'd be surprised if it wasn't W10 since it has more time to develop just like QB did). This doesn't even count the games that MS hasn't announced this year (usually E3). So for the Windows Store (which the Xbox Store assimilates into) has a good bunch of games coming to it.
I thought Recore was 2017 along with Scalebound. Guess I've have not been paying attention.
Pretty good list, it's up to Microsoft to generate momentum for their store at least for the time being, until it becomes a serious option for third parties like Steam is.

Halo Wars 2 you mean, but no sign of the FPS Halo games on Windows 10 yet.

I hope Microsoft are serious about building a great list of Xbox One games on Windows 10. Quantum Break, Gears UE, Fable Legends, Sea of Thieves, Recore. More I'm forgetting, hopefully Gears 4 and Forza are next.

There is no financial reason for them to put every game in their catalogue on the PC but Halo. It makes zero sense. It absolutely will be there.

Did halo 5 really sell that terribly in comparison to old halos that they would do that?

I don't think its about sales of specific software so much as it is building a new ecosystem that is shared between the X1 and W10.

Crayon

Those saying the next xbox will be a windows 10 pc are fooling themselves. I've said this every time this comes up for the last year. If you believe this, you have to ask yourself the critical question: will it run steam?

If it doesn't run steam: If the next xbox is locked to the windows 10 store and cannot use steam, gog, etc, then it is functionally no different than the current xbox and does nothing to change the fortunes of the xbox console. They can plaster windows 10 branding on the box but that will likely lead to more confusion than anything positive.

If it does run steam: Well there goes your windows store customer. If they bought the box for gaming in particular, the customer will find that steam is a mature platform that supplies an entire controller friendly interface, thousands of games, great prices and is open to competition by allowing key generation for alternative storefronts. Microsoft would be so lucky if these users even wanted to use the win store to buy xbox only games. They would just be building/marketing/supporting steam machines for valve to make money with.

The xbox as a windows 10 pc doesn't work either way. It's either a console like it is now or a win 10 pc where users can shoo away microsoft's pestering services.

Those saying the next xbox will be a windows 10 pc are fooling themselves. I've said this every time this comes up for the last year. If you believe this, you have to ask yourself the critical question: will it run steam?

If it doesn't run steam: If the next xbox is locked to the windows 10 store and cannot use steam, gog, etc, then it is functionally no different than the current xbox and does nothing to change the fortunes of the xbox console. They can plaster windows 10 branding on the box but that will likely lead to more confusion than anything positive.

If it does run steam: Well there goes your windows store customer. If they bought the box for gaming in particular, the customer will find that steam is a mature platform that supplies an entire controller friendly interface, thousands of games, great prices and is open to competition by allowing key generation for alternative storefronts. Microsoft would be so lucky if these users even wanted to use the win store to buy xbox only games. They would just be building/marketing/supporting steam machines for valve to make money with.

The xbox as a windows 10 pc doesn't work either way. It's either a console like it is now or a win 10 pc where users can shoo away microsoft's pestering services.

And that's why their efforts over the next few years will be towards building up an audience for their Win 10 store before making the switch to PC. Major ways to accomplish this are improving the delivery system so it has the features Steam users expect and building Xbox users an existing library of Windows 10 games so they stick around. That's what stuff like the QB crossbuy preorder incentive is for. I'd expect to see that a lot more if I'm right.

wapplew

It could run any UWA app on Windows store like Netflix, candy crash, magic jigsaw puzzles free etc, that's something.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Instead of Microsoft worrying about and competing with Steam, why don't they just buy them outright? Everyone wins!

Zedox

100% right.

And that's why their efforts over the next few years will be towards building up an audience for their Win 10 store before making the switch to PC. Major ways to accomplish this are improving the delivery system so it has the features Steam users expect and building Xbox users an existing library of Windows 10 games so they stick around. That's what stuff like the QB crossbuy preorder incentive is for. I'd expect to see that a lot more if I'm right.

They aren't switching it to PC, the Xbox already runs Windows 10 and runs Windows 10 apps. Look at this quote...

It could run any UWA app on Windows store like Netflix, candy crash, magic jigsaw puzzles free etc, that's something.

This is what is about to happen this year (some apps on X1 are already UWA). Devs can target the Xbox just as they can target regular windows. There's no reason to make a TV have the UI of a PC when they are going to run the same apps. Microsoft doesn't want people to be making win32 apps...they want UWA, so they are going to continue that fashion but just make Windows for the TV (which is what Xbox One and future Xboxes will be). That's why there will always be a console (that gets smaller and stronger over the generations until we don't use TVs). PC, Xbox, Phone, Hololens....all running the same software (if a dev chooses) from the same exact store so they can get money from all the people who use any combination of those device types (that run Windows 10). That's the goal for MS. As a user, you benefit if you have multiple devices that run Windows 10 (if you so choose) as that software follows you (provided the dev created it on that platform and enabled cross-buy...MS isn't forcing a dev to do cross-buy).

Weevilone

If I could somehow buy a physical Xbox One disk and have it count for cross buy and unlock the title in the Win10 store then I'd give it a go. Otherwise, Microsoft simply can't be trusted. I'm already locked out of my Office 2011 license that I bought at release simply because MS thinks I've updated my hardware too many times. I can't see them being any better long term with the W10 store.

We are going to get two Xboxs next next gen. One with just a SoC and one with a SoC and discrete gpu. Why you ask? Why not, they did it with the surface book lol. Believe!!!

Zedox

If I could somehow buy a physical Xbox One disk and have it count for cross buy and unlock the title in the Win10 store then I'd give it a go. Otherwise, Microsoft simply can't be trusted. I'm already locked out of my Office 2011 license that I bought at release simply because MS thinks I've updated my hardware too many times. I can't see them being any better long term with the W10 store.

I was going to mention this...but this was apart of the original Xbox plan. That would have made trading digital games with physical still possible and now if you would have had a w10 version (until you traded it) it would have helped. But we know how the market looked at those policies and MS moved accordingly.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I was going to mention this...but this was apart of the original Xbox plan. That would have made trading digital games with physical still possible and now if you would have had a w10 version (until you traded it) it would have helped. But we know how the market looked at those policies and MS moved accordingly.

At this point it doesnt even matter. With XBO console sales seen bad in comparison to PS4, them going in this direction with PC gaming, cross buy they should just bring back all the orig policies.

Zedox

At this point it doesnt even matter. With XBO console sales seen bad in comparison to PS4, them going in this direction with PC gaming, cross buy they should just bring back all the orig policies.

I don't think 24hr DRM would go over well. Also, I'm sure that they don't want people trading in digital games now as they see how much those margins are. I don't think we'll see those policies come back. :'(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
*As a Windows Walled Garden Store exclusive. Terms and Conditions Apply, please see GabeN for no-details.

That said, the one game that would make me break down and do Windows Walled Garden exclusive purchase(s) is Phantom Dust. The one title they said they were reviving and put on ice. So...

Zedox

*As a Windows Walled Garden Store exclusive. Terms and Conditions Apply, please see GabeN for no-details.

That said, the one game that would make me break down and do Windows Walled Garden exclusive purchase(s) is Phantom Dust. The one title they said they were reviving and put on ice. So...

But it is coming back...we just don't know when. I think maybe next year. We'll see how far along they are or aren't (by lack of being there) at E3 and/or gamescom.

I chuckled at your response because it seems everyone "has a price" ;). lololol.

le.phat

If the next MS console is still in the windows 10 era, they will call it xbox ten. If the xbox brands erodes to the point where it might be considered toxic to the windows platform, the next console will be called Windows Play.

LOCK IT IN *Makes arm motion*

krang

If the next MS console is still in the windows 10 era, they will call it xbox ten. If the xbox brands erodes to the point where it might be considered toxic to the windows platform, the next console will be called Windows Play.

LOCK IT IN *Makes arm motion*

Windows being a more preferable gaming brand than Xbox?

o_O

Have you tried contacting MS support? I've never had a problem getting my software activated after my activations expire (usually because I've been deploying inside Virtual Machines as part of build automation). I seem to remember getting a phone number to call in the past when it's run out of activations.

zma1013

I was pretty turned off about having ANOTHER store where I buy games digitally (quantum break), but if I'm able to buy all Xbox one exclusives for PC in the Windows 10 store... Yes please.

This really does seem like ms exiting the console business if true though.

I don't see it as them exiting the console business. I think they've just figured out that the bulk of the Xbox playerbase aren't interesting in ever getting a gaming PC. I don't think this will have that large of an effect on their console sales much and the added PC software sales will more than compensate for any losses the console side sees.

onanie

I'm assuming a lot.
First, that whatever engine used is heavily tailored for the Xbox One and its custom directx, therefore a DX11 or DX12 port could certainly be costly which means more sales will be needed to recoup the costs. I'm not blaming Insomniac for deciding it's not worth it.

Efforts spent on optimising this 900p/30fps game for xbone's hardware constraints are likely not required on PC where there would be more performance headroom available. Insomniac would have no problem porting it to PC.

A more likely hindrance is the need for another marketing push, and finding a willing publisher to do it, if Insomniac truly owns this IP.

Zedox

Efforts spent on optimising this 900p/30fps game for xbone's hardware constraints are likely not required on PC where there would be more performance headroom available. Insomniac would have no problem porting it to PC.

A more likely hindrance is the need for another marketing push, and finding a willing publisher to do it, if Insomniac truly owns this IP.

Insomniac owns the IP...MS owns the publishing of this version (aka if they made a second one...MS doesn't own that). I think it is in MS' best interest to release the game on PC and get some return on their investment of the IP.

Top Bottom