• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] MS to reveal VR headset at E3 2015, Fortaleza still in the development

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
You must feel that way about your original post then

There are hundreds of articles, videos and impressions of folks that have had first hand experience of good quality VR. VR that is immersive and gives you the feeling that you are actually inhabiting another reality. They call that feeling 'presence' and they say that feeling is incredible, addictive and it's going to be a life changer.

I've not experience it myself but I have the imagination to project what that experience will be like and I know it's going to change the world which is why there are a loads of companies spending a lot of money trying to get this to work who want to be at the start of this revolution.

The fact that you lack the imagination to understand the repercussions of this technology to mankind is not my problem. It's yours. Deal with it.

Seanspeed

Banned
History shows us that those limitations are as limiting as I say they are.

Could VR break the cycle and become wildly successful? Yes.
Is it already a forgone conclusion that it will? Absolutely not.
History shows that lack of technological progress was a massive limitation 15-20 years ago.

Its still limiting in certain ways now, but we have the home VR experiences right now to prove its ready. And many of the current limitations will steadily be knocked down as the rapid progress of the tech continues.

I dont feel VR is going to explode out of the blocks, but I do think VR's success and pervasiveness is absolutely inevitable. That's one thing I absolutely do agree with Amirox on. *In the very worst, worst* case scenario, VR becomes a niche thing for the near future. But it is that proven already. Many racing sim and flight/space sim fans will already tell you that going back to a 2d monitor is just not acceptable. I think its naïve to think its appeal and ability is so limited, though. VR is too amazing to let us racing and flight sim fans be the only ones to benefit. :)

Kinect is a means for people to interact with a different reality. The power and immediacy of that experience is going to be extremely compelling and addictive and its going to change our lives.
Nah. Kinect is cool, but its not nearly as revelatory a VR as a whole is. I think Kinect is the start of something good, though. VR is just a far more powerful sort of technology and experience.

History shows that lack of technological progress was a massive limitation 15-20 years ago.

Its still limiting in certain ways now, but we have the home VR experiences right now to prove its ready. And many of the current limitations will steadily be knocked down as the rapid progress of the tech continues.

I dont feel VR is going to explode out of the blocks, but I do think VR's success and pervasiveness is absolutely inevitable. That's one thing I absolutely do agree with Amirox on. *In the very worst, worst* case scenario, VR becomes a niche thing for the near future. But it is that proven already. Many racing sim and flight/space sim fans will already tell you that going back to a 2d monitor is just not acceptable. I think its naïve to think its appeal and ability is so limited, though. VR is too amazing to let us racing and flight sim fans be the only ones to benefit. :)
Seems like you are allowing your opinion on VR's awesomeness to cloud your comprehension on the realities of bringing a device like this to market.

Nah. Kinect is cool, but its not nearly as revelatory a VR as a whole is. I think Kinect is the start of something good, though. VR is just a far more powerful sort of technology and experience.
Never said it was as cool or relevatory. Not trying to argue opinions.

RowdyReverb

RE: consoles not being powerful enough for VR. I think that VR-focused titles on this generation of consoles will not focus on photorealism in their graphics and instead focus on styles that lend themselves to the high performance necessary for immersive VR.

I predict that there will be a dichotomy between AAA-IQ beautiful games with plentiful visual effects that don't use VR (e.g. Assassin's Creed 8 or Battlefield 6) and more simplistic, stylized games that are meant to be enjoyed with VR goggles (e.g. Minecraft 2 or Gen 6 remasters)

Journey

Banned
Minecraft is probably the only game that the X1 will be able to run at high enough resolution and framerate to work.

I'm fully aware that I'll own this as well as Occulus and Morpheus

Is the Galaxy Note 4 really more powerful than Xbox One? Wow, is it really that weak? I was reading an Engadget review the other day showing a VR headset with a Note 4 mounted to it, the review was pretty positive too, the only issue was content.

bj00rn_

Banned
Well, my thought is that this (VR) will either be the next big gimmick, or we can say goodbye to couch multiplayer gaming and the world will definitely be a bit sadder than before :(

I'm one of the biggest VR supporters on this forum, and I'm still pretty sure traditional gaming won't go away anyway. Especially not for quite some time. Gaming will probably not end up being VR's biggest hit even. "Experiences" (as in VR-experiences) will probably be the next big thing, perhaps some sort of meld of games- and cinematic experiences. ..And of course simulation (flight, racing, space..), tourism, live events, education and more. One thing I can assure you about though is that when the time comes you're most likely going to love it instead of looking at it as some depressing dark bad thing stealing your couch gaming away. Think of it as some kind of positive assimilation ;-)

harSon

Banned
I feel for those who suffer from motion sickness like myself. I've owned the Oculus Rift DK2 since Day 1, and I pretty much have to medicate myself just to have bearable motion sickness while playing. Your body does adjust to it after continued usage, But even then, there's some experiences like roller coasters that no amount of medication and conditioning will help to alleviate. It sucks :(

Seanspeed

Banned
Wow
What's up with comments like this? Are y'all really that threatened by differing opinions?
I think some of us can grow frustrated by what we see as very close-minded thinking. VR is possibly the most exciting technology mankind has seen in decades, and will likely be ubiquitous in our long-term future, yet so many people are so actively hostile towards any prospect of it becoming popular. I see people say its merely objective doubt, but when pressed on the issue, it usually becomes apparent that person typically holds some sort of prejudice against the technology, which I suspect is often just fear of change.

I'm not saying that you're that sort of person, and I'm not saying that you, or anyone, deserves to be treated so condescendingly, but those of us who regularly contribute in VR threads see this sort of thing *every single thread* over and over and over again. It becomes frustrating and tiring and I think it becomes easy to just brush off naysayers in a lot of cases. I don't think that's fair with you cuz you're actually taking the time to explain yourself, though, and that deserves a considered response, even if I do disagree with most of what you say.

At the end of the day, this VR thread gets constantly bumped and I love talking about VR, so its fine with me. :)

Amir0x

Banned
I feel for those who suffer from motion sickness like myself. I've owned the Oculus Rift DK2 since Day 1, and I pretty much have to medicate myself just to have bearable motion sickness while playing. Your. Odd does adjust to it after continued usage, And even then, there's some experiences like roller coasters that no amount of medication and conditioning will help to alleviate. It sucks :(

I wonder if there is a way to actualize the experience for people who suffer motion sickness in order to alleviate that.

But of course in real life some people get sick on rollercoasters as well, so maybe not :(

Seanspeed

Banned
Seems like you are allowing your opinion on VR's awesomeness to cloud your comprehension on the realities of bringing a device like this to market.
Not at all. Conversely, I think you're conveniently ignoring VR's awesomeness when discussing the realities of VR coming to market.

Never said it was as cool or relevatory. Not trying to argue opinions.
Well that was the point of your post, wasn't it? Trying to insert Kinect in place of VR to make it sound like they were comparable?

I'm one of the biggest VR supporters on this forum, and I'm still pretty sure traditional gaming won't go away anyway. Especially not for quite some time. Gaming will probably not end up being VR's biggest hit even. "Experiences" (as in VR-experiences) will probably be the next big thing, perhaps some sort of meld of games- and cinematic experiences. ..And of course simulation (flight, racing, space..), tourism, live events, education and more. One thing I can assure you about though is that when the time comes you're most likely going to love it instead of looking at it as some depressing dark bad thing stealing your couch gaming away. Think of it as some kind of positive assimilation ;-)
Exactly. I think there's a segment of people who feel threatened when people talk about VR becoming a huge thing. But 2D gaming will still exist for the foreseeable future, regardless of VR's popularity.

I think some of us can grow frustrated by what we see as very close-minded thinking. VR is possibly the most exciting technology mankind has seen in decades, and will likely be ubiquitous in our long-term future, yet so many people are so actively hostile towards any prospect of it becoming popular. I see people say its merely objective doubt, but when pressed on the issue, it usually becomes apparent that person typically holds some sort of prejudice against the technology, which I suspect is often just fear of change.

I'm not saying that you're that sort of person, and I'm not saying that you, or anyone, deserves to be treated so condescendingly, but those of us who regularly contribute in VR threads see this sort of thing *every single thread* over and over and over again. It becomes frustrating and tiring and I think it becomes easy to just brush off naysayers in a lot of cases. I don't think that's fair with you cuz you're actually taking the time to explain yourself, though, and that deserves a considered response, even if I do disagree with most of what you say.

At the end of the day, this VR thread gets constantly bumped and I love talking about VR, so its fine with me. :)

Thanks for that :)

I enjoy the conversations as well and I'm excited to see where VR goes. Just as I'm excited about other groundbreaking technology. I'm just not convinced of its mainstream appeal yet, just as I am about other technologies.

Who knows what the future holds. Either way, exciting times.

FordGTGuy

Banned
If Microsoft is developing this than gaming is hardly the only application it will be used for.

Is the Galaxy Note 4 really more powerful than Xbox One? Wow, is it really that weak? I was reading an Engadget review the other day showing a VR headset with a Note 4 mounted to it, the review was pretty positive too, the only issue was content.

Not even close.

To say Minecraft is the only game that would work on Xbox One is just silly fanboyism.

Ziffles

Well sure any of these devices could fail, just like any new smartphone can fail. But smartphones themselves are here to stay, and now that VR is out of the bag and has been embraced so fervently from the ground up, it's not going anywhere either.

To say Minecraft is the only game that would work on Xbox One is just silly fanboyism.

Plus to the people saying Minecraft VR as Xbox exclusive would be huge, they're too late -- Minecraft already works with the DK2 perfectly. The only way they could prevent it would be to stop Minecraft mod support, which would be stupendously stupid.

Not at all. Conversely, I think you're conveniently ignoring VR's awesomeness when discussing the realities of VR coming to market.
No for me awesomeness has no bearing on the success of the tech. If all a thing needed to be was awesome, then we'd have plenty more technology in our living rooms than we have today.

Well that was the point of your post, wasn't it? Trying to insert Kinect in place of VR to make it sound like they were comparable?
The situation is comparable. I.E. being an add on to a video games machine.

fritolay

If we went back to the year 2000 and you asked somebody, "Name one device you hold in your pocket that holds a 4" LCD display with internet capability" as an argument against smartphones.........you'd about get what you're asking us now.

We had phones and we wanted smart phones. We were close then with tech and wanted it.

VR is not new. People are not asking for it. There is a difference.

Go back from virtual boy, to Sony HMZ 3D display. People tried and didn't like so much. Google Glass too.

There is big difference from having a mobile device that does what a big computer did, to having a device that takes away your vision. People get tired of wearing these quick, and it bothers some peoples eyes, and others want to interact with people and play games, not put a thing on their head nobody else can see and shut themselves out of the world.

That is why on console this doesn't make sense. On PC more likely but still not what everyone is asking for like mobile phones.

Instead of this big 4K LCD monitor for my PC, wish I had a small screen strapped against my eyeballs!

Amir0x

Banned
VR is not an add on to a videogame system. It is on smartphones already, it's on computers. Interestingly, no specific videogame console has a VR thing officially for consumers out yet. In fact, most of the most popular VR demos are not games.

It CAN be used as an add on, but in actuality it's going to be central to whatever VR platform comes in the future. So it won't be an add on, it will be THE videogame system.

But it's not an add-on FOR videogames, it just so happens that it can be used as an add-on. Kinect was developed as a videogame device, came out for the videogame system first and it happens to have a few other minor realworld applications.

Really I'm laughing so hard. Comparing Kinect to VR, just shows how insanely far people are from understanding just how astonishing VR is.

VR is not an add on to a videogame system. It is on smartphones already, it's on computers. Interestingly, no specific videogame console has a VR thing officially for consumers out yet. In fact, most of the most popular VR demos are not games.

It CAN be used as an add on, but in actuality it's going to be central to whatever VR platform comes in the future. So it won't be an add on, it will be THE videogame system.

But it's not an add-on FOR videogames, it just so happens that it can be used as an add-on. Kinect was developed as a videogame device, came out for the videogame system first and it happens to have a few other minor realworld applications.

Really I'm laughing so hard. Comparing Kinect to VR, just shows how insanely far people are from understanding just how astonishing VR is.

VR is the technology. Oculous rift is the device

Oculous rift is primarily a gaming add on. Just as kinect is.

Of course the technology itself isn't the add on.

RE: consoles not being powerful enough for VR. I think that VR-focused titles on this generation of consoles will not focus on photorealism in their graphics and instead focus on styles that lend themselves to the high performance necessary for immersive VR.

I predict that there will be a dichotomy between AAA-IQ beautiful games with plentiful visual effects that don't use VR (e.g. Assassin's Creed 8 or Battlefield 6) and more simplistic, stylized games that are meant to be enjoyed with VR goggles (e.g. Minecraft 2 or Gen 6 remasters)
GPU/CPU requirements can be offset directly to the VR goggles if need be. Of course, that drives up the price and requires better cooling solutions.

Amir0x

Banned
VR is the technology. Oculous rift is the device

Oculous rift is primarily a gaming add on. Just as kinect is.

Of course the technology itself isn't the add on.

Oculus Rift is not primarily a gaming add-on. You think Facebook purchased Oculus for a gaming add on?

My god, tell us more!

Oculus Rift is not primarily a gaming add-on. You think Facebook purchased Oculus for a gaming add on?

My god, tell us more!
No they purchased it to apply the TECHNOLOGY outside of gaming. It's just like someone buying or licensing the tech that drives kinect for other applications. That doesn't make the kinect no longer a gaming device

Burt

Zune and Surface are not inferior hardware by any means, and Kinect is one of the biggest success stories for a peripheral ever. And how are they years late to the VR game if nobody had released a consumer VR headset yet?

Pardon me, I should've said "hardware that's inferior" or "inferior products", as in, the overall product isn't as good regardless of technical specs.

The Zune store and ecosystem (and arguably the design) weren't on par with Apple's offerings. The Surface is years late to the game and has proven an inability to compete in many of the same ways. Despite initial shipments, Kinect is... not a success, to say the least, otherwise we would be seeing growth in that area instead of getting it pulled from the system and zero games for it. A one or two time quarterly revenue boost doesn't qualify something with the ambitions they had for it as a success.

With VR, we have Microsoft purportedly gearing up to announce a VR headset more than a year after Sony and Samsung, and years behind Oculus/Facebook, who have had development kits in the wild for a significant period of time. The chances of Microsoft having something equivalent in hardware, design, and software compared to any of those companies, let alone a product that could lead the field, are low. I'd call that late to the game.

But will the X1 have enough power to do VR well?

Any game that can run at 1080-60 should be good to go.

I'm not sure how upscaling would look up close, so if it is bad, they may just have Devs. downgrade a few of the assets to keep games at 1080-60 native.

Overall, i don't think it will be much worse than PS4 at all, but obviously PC is the king in these sort of scenarios.

DavidDesu

I think some publishers/developers might get caught sleeping when VR explodes onto the scene on consoles. If I was a Ubisoft or an EA right now I'd be feverishly working on compelling new VR ideas compatible with consoles. And they will need to broaden their horizons outside of atypical gaming as well. I predict some small studios working on unique experiences could get massive hits on their hands, and frankly, experiencing presence in a tailor made VR experience makes me less likely than I already am to buy the next Assassins Bloody Creed game :p

I await the "Angry Birds" of VR, let's just hope whatever it is they don't try and make a film with their IP!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The PS4 is already so borderline, I just don't see how the X1's power level with do VR decently.

Seanspeed

Banned
We had phones and we wanted smart phones. We were close then with tech and wanted it.

VR is not new. People are not asking for it. There is a difference.

Go back from virtual boy, to Sony HMZ 3D display. People tried and didn't like so much. Google Glass too.

There is big difference from having a mobile device that does what a big computer did, to having a device that takes away your vision. People get tired of wearing these quick, and it bothers some peoples eyes, and others want to interact with people and play games, not put a thing on their head nobody else can see and shut themselves out of the world.

That is why on console this doesn't make sense. On PC more likely but still not what everyone is asking for like mobile phones.

Instead of this big 4K LCD monitor for my PC, wish I had a small screen strapped against my eyeballs!
Describing VR merely as a small screen strapped to your face is such an incredibly misinformed perspective, though. Thats like saying "Why would I want to play something thats just a plastic box with a spinning disc inside of it?"

Before smartphones, people were NOT asking for smartphones.

And obviously, you included, many people do NOT know what VR is and have spent very little time learning about what it really is.

Josman

It's awesome that MS is doing a VR headset too (if it's actually true) It means big developers can risk making VR only games across 3 platforms.

But I'd be wary, if the PS4 can barely handle VR games at 1080p then the X1 will suffer here, this will be the case when resolution actually makes a BIG difference.

Seanspeed

Banned
No for me awesomeness has no bearing on the success of the tech. If all a thing needed to be was awesome, then we'd have plenty more technology in our living rooms than we have today.

The situation is comparable. I.E. being an add on to a video games machine.
Name a technology as impressive and available as VR that never took off.

Name a technology as impressive and available as VR that never took off.
"Impressive" is subjective so I won't jump down that rabbit hole. But there have been plenty of technologies that people have been very excited about, that never made it to mainstream success, hell VR itself has been around for decades.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Wow
What's up with comments like this? Are y'all really that threatened by differing opinions?

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I was eating a massive spicy 4 cheese pizza. :)

It's not about being threatened it's more the frustration that Seanspeed was talking about.

You know. Before Apple launched the first iPad on the world, I speculated that it was going to be a game changer and all of my friends and colleagues thought no. Why would anyone want a large format phone. Well the rest is history.

This will have a larger impact. Sure the tech is clunky right now but 5-10 years from now it will be small, unobtrusive, very powerful and cheap. The social aspects of VR are mind-blowing to contemplate with hundreds of folks instantly being able to share an experience or drop into other folks VR space. Virtual concerts set in the most amazing venues while socialising with other folks. Folks exploring far off real places and capturing all the data to share that with other people who don't or can't leave their armchair.

The educational aspect alone is hugely compelling. Being able to project students into space or the deepest oceans or seeing stuff happen at a molecular level as if you've been shrunk, operating on a virtual human being, seeing historical re-enactments etc...

Lord knows what this will do to gaming.

And then there's these kinds of threads where folks repeatedly come in and call it a gimmick or a fad. The lack of imagination on their part is staggering.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I was eating a massive spicy 4 cheese pizza. :)

It's not about being threatened it's more the frustration that Seanspeed was talking about.

You know. Before Apple launched the first iPad on the world, I speculated that it was going to be a game changer and all of my friends and colleagues thought no. Why would anyone want a large format phone. Well the rest is history.

This will have a larger impact. Sure the tech is clunky right now but 5-10 years from now it will be small, unobtrusive, very powerful and cheap. The social aspects of VR are mind-blowing to contemplate with hundreds of folks instantly being able to share an experience or drop into other folks VR space. Virtual concerts set in the most amazing venues while socialising with other folks. Folks exploring far off real places and capturing all the data to share that with other people who don't or can't leave their armchair.

The educational aspect alone is hugely compelling. Being able to project students into space or the deepest oceans or seeing stuff happen at a molecular level as if you've been shrunk, operating on a virtual human being, seeing historical re-enactments etc...

Lord knows what this will do to gaming.

And then there's these kinds of threads where folks repeatedly come in and call it a gimmick or a fad. The lack of imagination on their part is staggering.

I've never called it a gimmick or fad. I guess i can understand your frustration. All I ask is that you direct it towards those that deserve it.

And I agree with your points about the social and educational aspects of the technology. Though I think it will be more than 5-10 years before that becomes a reality. I was only speaking on its viability as a living room entertainment device. I think history shows that VR or any tech for that matter has a very difficult battle to make an impact in that space.

I feel like VR is going to go the way of 3D... It'll be awesome and people will love it but after a while when the effect wears people just simply won't be bothered to be on the glasses/headset for the extra effect.

Krejlooc

Banned
I feel like VR is going to go the way of 3D... It'll be awesome and people will love it but after a while when the effect wears people just simply won't be bothered to be on the glasses/headset for the extra effect.

Vr isn't an effect, it's an input device.

cyberheater

I've never called it a gimmick or fad. I guess i can understand your frustration. All I ask is that you direct forwards those that deserve it.

And I agree with your points about the social and educational aspects of the technology. I was only speaking on its viability as a living room entertainment device. I think history shows that VR or any tech for that matter has a very difficult battle to make an impact in that space.

I think the content will drive the need. The technology is still young and at the moment we are in a transitional phase where a lot of that content started as a 2D flat screen game and got converted to VR. The one thing I'm convinced about is that killer content is coming.

Cost is also going to be a barrier but folks don't bat an eyelid to pay plenty bucks for a phone because of the content and social connectivity that the phones provide. VR will be no different except the shared social experiences will seem real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom