• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Paul Thurrott: Xbox 720 is expensive: $500 or $300 for sub model, 5/21 Unveil

Europe doesn't even know what a Roku is.

What makes those types of comments even more funny is the implication that MS is this current champion being threatened by these young upstarts called Apple or Google. When in reality it's the latter that control the market in question and MS is a complete non-factor. Similar to all the "Nintendo is no longer interested in small fry like Sony and MS, Apple is the new target" statements that were commonplace not long ago.

500$
always online
no second hand games

Rumors are pretty bad for the next XBox, Microsoft should drop some info, it can't be as bad as these news. That said, after the success of the 360, it wouldn't surprised me if Microsoft would become so arrogant, it happened to Nintendo after the success of the SNES, and to Sony after the PS2.

Tookay

It's a combination of (mostly) improved content and opinion validation. Mostly the latter. If you want it to be true, you're much more likely to believe it.

Or... maybe the fact that we've heard these things from multiple sources at different layers within the industry, combined with the fact that it's not difficult to see this being true considering the players involved?

Striek

$500 today was around $420 in 2005 with inflation factored in. XBox 360 was $400 at launch in Nov 2005. It's not a ridiculous price, but it's also not being reduced due to any of the anti-consumer tech that it has.
The Xbox 3 is going to be considerably less cutting edge than the X360 was, and will be appropriately smaller/cooler/cheaper to manufacture. Theres the Kinect 2 to consider but its meant to be cheaper to produce than Kinect 1 due to no tilt motor.

StevieP

Banned
The Xbox 3 is going to be considerably less cutting edge than the X360 was, and will be appropriately smaller/cooler/cheaper to manufacture. Theres the Kinect 2 to consider but its meant to be cheaper to produce than Kinect 1 due to no tilt motor.

MS' board is supposedly sick of taking massive losses from gaming off the bat of each launch. Paul's figures may come from that idea.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
He also reported on ms working on a 7 inch gaming tablet and says this leaked doc is accurate:
xboxsurface.jpg

May 21 will be interesting indeed.
The branding on this is stupid. But the product is a good idea. Continue to strengthen SmartGlass and Surface instead of doing what Nintendo is doing or giving up on stuff like Zune prematurely. Surface and Xbox should be here to stay and should work in tandem while still allowing stuff like SmartGlass on every product they can possibly make it reach.

I was thinking they'd save this for BUILD Windows, but now that I think about it, we'll probably see this on the 21st too.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just caught up with the thread and am shocked so many people think these leaks were intentional to gauge a reaction and respond accordingly. This is a company who still does not allow any developers to acknowledge the fact that their next console even exists in any form. Sure, there is a chance they may get rid of the requirement because of negative reactions as long as they don't write it off as whiny nerds on the internet but they definitely didn't put out a ton of negative info just to see what would happen.

Forced Kinect will do that....this thing is going to flop so hard. There hasn't been a single positive which must be a record for a console with no reveal

Mmh, considering Warren is saying the pricing infos are wrong, that's quite a contrast. creamhackered, I think with that "pricing infos completely wrong" you intended prices LOWER than what Thurrott suggested. I mean, it's the only logical possibility :lol You're talking about 100$ lower than both I think, no?

What I've heard is that Sony is targeting $300-$400. And as such, that camera they spent a whole bunch of time showing off, isn't in the box anymore.

I think microsoft, with a kinect in the box, needs to be $400. Maybe like $429.99 or something. That is... if Sony hits their goal. But that's also why I'm skeptical of price talk yet, because from what I understand about the PS4 they have targets they are going for but even at this stage they can't exactly project a price.

They probably are not happy but what exactly can they do?

Last time one of them shared concerns about durango and always online, their shares took a big nose dive.

How would that work for publishers though? Customers pay MS a sub fee to access all these games, what's in it for the publishers? When they could be making around $50 per new release at retail.

Salz01

Microsoft better show some epicly huge awesome first party games for this thing. Because otherwise, they fail and I might as well stay with the 360 and ps4 combo. I can't stand Kinect such a piece of shit, and they force it on you now with 720.

Tookay

Just caught up with the thread and am shocked so many people think these leaks were intentional to gauge a reaction and respond accordingly. This is a company who still does not allow any developers to acknowledge the fact that their next console even exists in any form. Sure, there is a chance they may get rid of the requirement because of negative reactions as long as they don't write it off as whiny nerds on the internet but they definitely didn't put out a ton of negative info just to see what would happen.

If people seriously believe that Microsoft is just now fishing for reactions on design philosophies integral to a new system they have been designing for years, I have a bridge to sell them.

Rad-

So:

Expensive
Underpowered compared to direct competition
Online Required
Kinect Required

Sounds brilliant.

Let's be honest here. Either some of these rumours are total BS (I'm guessing this price one) or we are missing something major. MS is known to "miss" every now and then but they aren't idiots.

Grinchy

Banned
Forced Kinect will do that....this thing is going to flop so hard.

Man, I hope not. As much as I like seeing Sony get their act together, if Nintendo and MS both flop hard, Sony will inevitably go back to the arrogant assholes they became in the past. I always welcome competition to keep things even. The competition from the 360 is the only reason the PS3 became as great as it did IMO.

Really hope the no BC rumor isn't true. XBLA compatibility is higher priority than retail, since they can strengthen the Next Xbox digital ecosystem greatly.

Not having any PS3 BC, retail or digital, was a big enough blow. The digital library there built up since 2006 was essentially a wasted effort, soon to be all forgotten in the past.

StevieP

Banned
What I've heard is that Sony is targeting $300-$400. And as such, that camera they spent a whole bunch of time showing off, isn't in the box anymore.

I think microsoft, with a kinect in the box, needs to be $400. Maybe like $429.99 or something. That is... if Sony hits their goal. But that's also why I'm skeptical of price talk yet, because from what I understand about the PS4 they have targets they are going for but even at this stage they can't exactly project a price.

I'm not sure that what you've heard of the ps4 is accurate.

There's no way Sony hits $300. $400 minimum with those specs.

Let's be honest here. Either some of these rumours are total BS (I'm guessing this price one) or we are missing something major. MS is known to "miss" every now and then but they aren't idiots.

Aren't most of their hardware products failures? At least in comparison to the competition?

Sounds about right. Xbox 360 was the odd one.

itsgreen

Really hope the no BC rumor isn't true. XBLA compatibility is higher priority than retail, since they can strengthen the Next Xbox digital ecosystem greatly.

Not having any PS3 BC, retail or digital, was a big enough blow. The digital library there built up since 2006 was essentially a wasted effort, soon to be all forgotten in the past.

I share these thoughts, the only reason I care about BC is my XBLA purchases...

RavenH2

Germany, France, Brazil, South Africa, Australia.

WHAT?? SOUTH AFRICA? --- AFRICA
BRAZIL --- SOUTH AMERICA

Spain, Portugal, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Italy, Greece among others...

Sorry, I've been quietly reading this discussion since I have very little to add, but this, I just couldn't stand..

ON TOPIC - Could it be that some games will be Always-on as requested by developper and some games won't?

Hence the new xbox will clearly state "Some game(s) and function(s) require a permanent Internet Conection"....

You can play games offline... some games... that's left up to developer...
And if the console is not online you miss out on most of the features...

Don't know... all seems too strange at this time..

Tookay

Man, I hope not. As much as I like seeing Sony get their act together, if Nintendo and MS both flop hard, Sony will inevitably go back to the arrogant assholes they became in the past. I always welcome competition to keep things even. The competition from the 360 is the only reason the PS3 became as great as it did IMO.

Well, if the solution is that we reward MS for anti-consumer measures out of some fear over a future monopoly, I think we're worse off as gamers because then these features become standardized.

Well Microsoft did release the awful, awful device that was the Kin to chase after the trendy social networking boom. They also were dumb enough to put Roz Ho in a position of power and as a result, had the worst datacenter disaster in forever.

I think they have something new for the new Xbox to justify all of this (assuming its true, which is looking quite likely) but they're not really that smart. If they weren't idiots, they wouldn't be getting outmanoeuvred without effort by Apple and Google but look at them today.

500$
always online
no second hand games

Rumors are pretty bad for the next XBox, Microsoft should drop some info, it can't be as bad as these news. That said, after the success of the 360, it wouldn't surprised me if Microsoft would become so arrogant, it happened to Nintendo after the success of the SNES, and to Sony after the PS2.
It happened to Nintendo A LOT more recently than that.

orioto

Good Art™

Except if this is really part of a large demographic shift for them, and they have "larger" plans than simply the gaming market.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
ON TOPIC - Could it be that some games will be Always-on as requested by developper and some games won't?

Hence the new xbox will clearly state "Some game(s) and function(s) require a permanent Internet Conection"....

You can play games offline... some games... that's left up to developer...
And if the console is not online you miss out on most of the features...

Don't know... all seems too strange at this time..
The most recent rumor is that the always online requirement is an OS level feature and that the console will not function after three minutes without an internet connection.

Who really cares how arrogant or nice PR speak is? If a situation arises where there is another PS2 "monopoly" scenario, we just might see another more focused and creative output from East and West developers. Maybe even a shift from AAA Western monopoly to shared between the two, or at least resurgence of Japanese AAA. Basically, region markets won't have to be split by console anymore.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Pretty much. Nobody in Canada offers the caliber of Internet one would need to support an always online platform like this one.

I will need to socially network over Xbox LIVE to find an American wife I can marry so I can move and use their functional Internet.

wah? are you on flaky dsl or something? most people on cable internet should have 99.99~% uptime unless there's something wrong with your local node

StevieP

Banned
wah? are you on flaky dsl or something? most people on cable internet should have 99.99~% uptime unless there's something wrong with your local node

In Canada it isn't about uptime. It's about Internet restrictions and caps that are straight out of the Stone Age

Who really cares how arrogant or nice PR speak is? If a situation arises where there is another PS2 "monopoly" scenario, we just might see another more focused and creative output from East and West developers.

Games will still be multiplat with Durango. There is no PS2 monopoly ever happening again.

Top Bottom