• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Paul Thurrott: Xbox 720 is expensive: $500 or $300 for sub model, 5/21 Unveil

Randdalf

It's the same issue the PS4 is going to face. Call of Duty and GTA make up the top 5 games sold on the PS3.

If Blu-ray, Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto are the biggest drivers for PS3 sales then the PS4 will have tough competition with the PS3 alone, considering no backwards compatibility.

MS will have a Megaton with the announcement of BC and the ability to play COD, Halo and all XBLA games on the Next Xbox.

No one is still able to confirm or deny whether they have it or not.

What I'm interested in is the effect that GTA V will have on the new consoles. Can a game be bigger than a console launch? Will people buy a new console when they can buy GTA, FIFA, COD and Battlefield on their old system?

Terrell

And I thought that the Wii U was getting the pre PS3 treatment before it's release.

Yeah, anyone who was expecting Sony and MS to cake-walk their way to dominance this gen was kidding themselves that they wouldn't get bad press for SOMETHING that would kill their hype. We're just waiting for Sony's turn, at this point.

The current opinion is among the really hardcore audience only. What Microsoft cares about the mass market coverage. They want something on the Today show, not on Kotaku. The difference is an audience of 10 million versus 300,000. The new Microsoft strategy is to go after the big numbers, they want stuff that appeals to the mass market, not stuff that appeals only to gamers. Sony went the other direction, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

You do realize that the mass market aren't early adopters, right? The Wii was the ONLY time that's ever been true, and the Wii U shows that it isn't easily sustainable.
The hardcore are going to be the only ones interested at launch, and if it flounders at launch, the mass market is going to ask why and have PLENTY of evidence to assist them.

As for mass market messaging, here's some sites that MS shouldn't want this story reaching if it wants to control the mass market message:

NBC News
TIME
Huffington Post (twice)
Forbes
The Consumerist
Canada.com (which is part of Postmedia Network, whose articles are printed in multiple newspapers across Canada)

Just to name a few.

LowParry

I wonder how a retailer would sell the NextBox with the whole aspect of always online with a positive spin. Would if they said nothing and the consumer takes it home only to find out. It's been a while since I've worked retail and I've bought my gaming purchases mostly through Amazon these last few years.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I wonder how a retailer would sell the NextBox with the whole aspect of always online with a positive spin. Would if they said nothing and the consumer takes it home only to find out. It's been a while since I've worked retail and I've bought my gaming purchases mostly through Amazon these last few months.

I would assume atleast in my area northern minnesota they would have to let people know to avoid returns.

I wonder how a retailer would sell the NextBox with the whole aspect of always online with a positive spin. Would if they said nothing and the consumer takes it home only to find out. It's been a while since I've worked retail and I've bought my gaming purchases mostly through Amazon these last few months.

Oh man.. I can just imagine Amazon dropping 720 support like they did with the 3DS over returns.

No way they will be that stupid. >.> I hope.

This is Tom Warren, Senior Editor at The Verge FYI.

He also reported on ms working on a 7 inch gaming tablet and says this leaked doc is accurate:
xboxsurface.jpg

May 21 will be interesting indeed.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I have to agree with what some others said in this thread--I can't possibly believe the market can handle two $500 consoles. I have my doubts as to whether even one $500 console can be successful.

Darryl

Banned
at least they'll easily be able to lock out the consumers who purchase the $300 model and stop their payments. this stuff is just so anti-consumer it blows my mind.

Ploid 3.0

People keep bringing up online required, but never bring up the fact that used games will probably not work. So much is bad about this. Man Microsoft, come on! Crap, I don't want the system to do good if they do all this, but I don't want sony to go without big competition. If next box does well with all this sony will have no choice but to start dipping it's finger in the honey.

Yep, similarly to how the DS is still cannibalizing 3DS sales in the west.

Or PSP to Vita in the east.

I don't know any microsoft guys, but everything that's outlined in the OP is exactly what Sony folks are hearing about the system through friends at third parties. Take that for what it's worth.

Terrell

I have to agree with what some others said in this thread--I can't possibly believe the market can handle two $500 consoles. I have my doubts as to whether even one $500 console can be successful.

At this point, it's just a matter of which one wants to fight harder for the honor of getting pushed out of the market first.

quest

Not Banned from OT

It can't as history has shown not even the PS3 that was much more advanced for its time could be successful at 500+. That is why I expect MS and Sony to have a 399.99 SKU.

onQ123

Oh it's May alright

I'm out of the loop who is this & why are people posting gifs because of this post?

PS: if you work at Microsoft remember Sweet Billy & be careful what you post on the internet we got the screen cap ready for anything that can make a story lol.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Or PSP to Vita in the east.

I don't know any microsoft guys, but everything that's outlined in the OP is exactly what Sony folks are hearing about the system through friends at third parties. Take that for what it's worth.

Pricing too?

Jadedx

Banned
It is really not obvious.

That a console that wont work when disconnected from live will be DOA? It's pretty obvious, considering a lot of people don't have stable internet connections and some just don't connect their xbox 360s to the internet period.

nib95

Banned
I'm out of the loop who is this & why are people posting gifs because of this post?

PS: if you work at Microsoft remember Sweet Billy & be careful what you post on the internet we got the screen cap ready for anything that can make a story lol.

Why remind him of that lol? We need all the leaks and goss we can get!

BlackJace

Mr. Harker knows things.

Anton668

at least they'll easily be able to lock out the consumers who purchase the $300 model and stop their payments. this stuff is just so anti-consumer it blows my mind.

If somebody gets a perma ban from Live do MS come take their xbox away? do they have to pay the difference back for breach of contract? If you have a subbed xbox and you stop paying, what happens? you now own a brick?

I ask simply because at one point I had lost my job and due to that lost internet for about 3 months, not to mention other "things and stuff". If someone were to end up in such a situation with a subbed xbox, what would happen to them?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
At this point, it's just a matter of which one wants to fight harder for the honor of getting pushed out of the market first.
As sensational as that sounds, I think it might end up being true. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the Big 3 bowed out this gen. Or perhaps launching their next-next-gen console in a few years as a last ditch effort after failing next gen, and then bowing out.

As for the always online / always on stuff. It has been rumored a crazy number of times from dev doc sources, Kotaku, Edge, etc etc. There's no doubt that Durango will support always online and always on modes with Connected Standby. Durango is built from the core of Windows 8, which provides instant on and Connected Standby support. It's essentially an x86 machine that's optimized for gaming.

Whether or not Microsoft requires this connection for features, like the rumored activation for blocking used games, is another question. Nobody seems to know this, but if we look at last week then it starts to shown signs that something related to "always online" is happening. Microsoft issued a rare comment on an employee talking about it on Twitter. They want to manage the message carefully for the next Xbox, and employees got a gentle internal reminder after those comments that details of the next console must remain confidential. If those details weren't accurate, Microsoft wouldn't have gone to the effort of releasing a statement and reminding employees internally. It's just a question of how the always online feature works.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Why can't Microsoft just confirm May 21st then?

Seems that's the date in question. Investor thing?
Microsoft Fiscal Year 2013 Third Quarter Earnings Conference Call is on the 18th of April. The conference call for the fourth quarter is on the 18th of July. They would be smart to say at least something by the 18th of April. Hopefully someone asks about this always online business in the Q&A session.

It seems strange though that they haven't even acknowledged the existence of the system.

Top Bottom