• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Paul Thurrott: Xbox 720 is expensive: $500 or $300 for sub model, 5/21 Unveil

DaBoss

Its just too early to tell. There is no need to be insulting. Technically this device does not officially exist. I just think people should chill out see what this is and then make a decision.

Sounds more like he's saying we should wait until some of this is actually announced before getting the pitchforks and torches. People keep acting like all these rumours are ironclad truth, even when they contradict other rumours.

Where there is lots of smoke, there is a fire. How many rumors from different sources are there required to come to a safe conclusion that there is always-online? It is not unreasonable to come to the conclusion the worst is going to happen.

Though things are subject to change.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Sounds more like he's saying we should wait until some of this is actually announced before getting the pitchforks and torches. People keep acting like all these rumours are ironclad truth, even when they contradict other rumours.

See this would be the case if these rumors were isolated but since we are going on into the umpteenth month of hearing this same rumor emerge over and over again plus the meltdown of Mr. Adam Orth, I'm a little inclined to start thinking this may be true. This is like a literal definition of the phrase, "Where there's smoke, there's fire."

The irony is I actually do know what I'm taking about, and yet this kid thinks he does.

Ken Kutaragi was fired because he shot for the moon with the PS3 design and thus the price started at $500.
Ken Kutaragi did not decide on BluRay. That trojan Horse was Sonys decision, and the leading factor in the PS3s high price. I'm not sure whos call the Cell was but I remember it also being part of a larger strategy, beyond the Playstation. They should have called it Trojan Horse 3. So what did Krazy Ken actually influence, its hard to say.

Replicant

Its just too early to tell. There is no need to be insulting. Technically this device does not officially exist. I just think people should chill out see what this is and then make a decision.

Oh, that is rich you hypocrite, especially considering your original post:

Ol No Bones said:
Microsoft hates consumers, kinect sucks, always online, Sony loves you... Gamers are so dramatic. I'm gonna wait till they announce before I decide to buy one or not. The people in here talking about getting out the word to people not to buy lol. People will buy what they want you don't have to do sony's dirty work. Why do you even care what people purchase? Wow.

Iacobellis

Ken Kutaragi did not decide on BluRay. That trojan Horse was Sonys decision, and the leading factor in the PS3s high price. I'm not sure whos call the Cell was but I remember it also being part of a larger strategy, beyond the Playstation. They should have called it Trojan Horse 3. So what did Krazy Ken actually influence, its hard to say.

Cell wasn't even expensive compared to BluRay. BD drives were around $300 per console in 2006.

I hope it's all true and I hope this thing bombs harder than the Enola Gay.
Eh, I'm starting to lean that way too. As much as I like to see healthy competition in the console arena, just the anti consumer crap here is enough for me to want to see MS lose big enough for other companies considering it to have second thoughts. This of course assumes Sony doesn't pull the same shit.

KAL2006

Banned
I hope it's all true and I hope this thing bombs harder than the Enola Gay.

Yes it will be nice to have one console dominating and getting all the games, just like the PS2 and PS1 which both systems had a great library of games. PS4 the return of the king.

It is not unreasonable to come to the conclusion the worst is going to happen.

Well, actually, it is, because nothing is confirmed yet. Nice smoke analogy, and while that is telling, it still doesn't defeat the fact that this is all just conjecture at the moment. It's like screaming at your boss for firing you when two of your co-workers said he will fire you in the future. Or something. From a distance, it just seems a little silly to get worked up over this at this point in time.

That generalization isn't really that insulting. Dramatic doesn't need to be exclusively negative in its connotation.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Yes it will be nice to have one console dominating and getting all the games, just like the PS2 and PS1 which both systems had a great library of games. PS4 the return of the king.

See that's what has me conflicted. Competition is great for the industry but the PS2 dominated era brought forth some of the greatest video games ever made because everyone had one focus. It won't happen again with PS4 but I do believe we'll see some betrayaltons this E3 for people formerly multi-platform.

Orca

Where there is lots of smoke, there is a fire. How many rumors from different sources are there required to come to a safe conclusion that there is always-online? It is not unreasonable to come to the conclusion the worst is going to happen.

Though things are subject to change.

True, it might be. We don't know what that really means though. Games won't start without being connected? You have to be connected all the time? That developers can assume there'll be a constant connection for updates while it's 'off' maybe?

I mean we really don't know what Sony's plan is on that front either. They were evasive when questioned, and I think the last thing I read about the subject was that it would be up to publishers to choose for themselves. Then there's the whole 'here's the features list* you'll see.....* most of these are 'aspirational' and we have no timeline for delivering' thing as well. And they've actually ANNOUNCED their console - why is Microsoft expected to be more clear when they don't even officially have a next-gen console yet.

I only remember the last generational leap in a roundabout way, recalling things when someone brings it up. I don't remember this kind of 'I HEARD THIS, IT MUST BE TRUE' fervor that time around and you'd think we'd have learned not to believe everything we read after the differences between what we were actually promised and what was delivered.

Iacobellis

Eh, I'm starting to lean that way too. As much as I like to see healthy competition in the console arena, just the anti consumer crap here is enough for me to want to see MS lose big enough for other companies considering it to have second thoughts. This of course assumes Sony doesn't pull the same shit.

Nintendo and Sony battling it out? Man, the PS1 and N64 days are back.

DaBoss

I don't think dramatic isn't necessarily insulting.

Well, actually, it is, because nothing is confirmed yet. Nice smoke analogy, and while that is telling, it still doesn't defeat the fact that this is all just conjecture at the moment. It's like screaming at your boss for firing you when two of your co-workers said he will fire you in the future. Or something. From a distance, it just seems a little silly to get worked up over this at this point in time.

This is true.

I guess there are just 3 groups in this. People who believe the next Xbox will have always-online DRM, people who would like to wait and see whether or not MS officially announce always-online DRM, and then the people who believe that the next Xbox will not have always-online DRM.

I'm hoping for the best and that they don't do this, but with all the rumors, I just can't help but think that it is true and the next Xbox will have always-online DRM, and I believe many feel this way too.

True, it might be. We don't know what that really means though. Games won't start without being connected? You have to be connected all the time? That developers can assume there'll be a constant connection for updates while it's 'off' maybe?

I mean we really don't know what Sony's plan is on that front either. They were evasive when questioned, and I think the last thing I read about the subject was that it would be up to publishers to choose for themselves. Then there's the whole 'here's the features list* you'll see.....* most of these are 'aspirational' and we have no timeline for delivering' thing as well. And they've actually ANNOUNCED their console - why is Microsoft expected to be more clear when they don't even officially have a next-gen console yet.

I only remember the last generational leap in a roundabout way, recalling things when someone brings it up. I don't remember this kind of 'I HEARD THIS, IT MUST BE TRUE' fervor that time around and you'd think we'd have learned not to believe everything we read after the differences between what we were actually promised and what was delivered.

This is true too.

Rumors seem to agree on the fact that an internet connection is required to start games. Anything after that isn't quite clear.

Sony's plan can change, but we haven't heard anything on that front other than the pubs can decide for themselves, IIRC. Microsoft's is more clear just due to the number of times this rumor has popped up. I mean if it is just once or twice, it could be dismissed, but it has been a lot more than that. Along with the way Adam Orth reacted, it just seems likely that MS's console will have always-online. Though nothing is absolutely conclusive, it just seems more likely.

Well, tis the way of the Internet, we all hear things and see things. :p

Replicant

It is to me because it's basically always being used to undermine other people's opinion. It's implying that their opinion holds no weight and can be easily dismissed.

But I like how the more they talk, the more these always-online supporters always end up doing the opposite of what they're trying to do: convince people to accept it. All they managed to do is making more people even more appalled and angry towards the very thing they try to promote. Good job guys!

Iacobellis

This is true.

I guess there are just 3 groups in this. People who believe the next Xbox will have always-online DRM, people who would like to wait and see whether or not MS officially announce always-online DRM, and then the people who believe that the next Xbox will not have always-online DRM.

I'm hoping for the best and that they don't do this, but with all the rumors, I just can't help but think that it is true and the next Xbox will have always-online DRM, and I believe many feel this way too.

I want it to be "Always On". A company can only be cocky for so long.

Rat Salad

Banned

Sarcasm I hope. Last thing we need is an arrogant Sony from being dominant again. Glad they have been humbled. They need to stay that way.

DaBoss

It is to me because it's basically always being used to undermine other people's opinion. It's implying that their opinion holds no weight and can be easily dismissed.

I guess looking at it that way, that is true. It does seem to indicate people's opinions are being dismissed.

I want it to be "Always On". A company can only be cocky for so long.

I don't. There are people who would like to have an Xbox for various reasons, and this would make them screwed over and stuff.

This gen showed each company that they had things to learn from each other, so I imagine it could be the same this upcoming gen too.

Iacobellis

Sarcasm I hope. Last thing we need is an arrogant Sony from being dominant again. Glad they have been humbled. They need to stay that way.

What's wrong with one company being overly dominant? Atari was in the 70's, Nintendo for most of the 80's and first half of the 90's, etc..

KAL2006

Banned
See that's what has me conflicted. Competition is great for the industry but the PS2 dominated era brought forth some of the greatest video games ever made because everyone had one focus. It won't happen again with PS4 but I do believe we'll see some betrayaltons this E3 for people formerly multi-platform.

Competition was great this gen as it taught Sony how to make a decent OS and online infrastructure as well as being developer friendly to 3rd parties. Now that these lessons have been learnt (hopefully) I don't think competition will be needed. The added benefit of having one system that dominates is all your friends will have the same console (good for online gaming and borrowing games) and developers can focus on one console.

Kutaragi "voluntarily retired."

It's mincing words. He was essentially held accountable for the PS3 debacle and forced out.

At this point am waiting for Kutaragi to be called out by MS to tell everyone how amazing the Durango is over PS4 before promising to personally 'milk' his secret sauce over every Durango CPU.

-------------------------

But yeah we know now he pretty much cost Sony billions by actions that done by a saner man would be called sabotage. With Krazy Ken it was just Sony let him gain too much position/control with no oversight.

Cerny is a breath of fresh air and imo a real inspiration for anyone looking at business decisions, creating a product and strategic planning.

You understand 100% where the positivity is coming from.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
#ComplexServerSideCalculations

Not really...Kinect 2.0 could be Steve Ballmers way of attacking Google and making Bing more powerful and relevant.

Ballmer probably expects to loose marketshare to Sony but gain against Google. MS will try to minimize their losses against Sony as best they can obviously. The real lucrative prize is search engine marketshare.

Why don't you keep your idea of what's insulting to yourself and in return I will not tell you what you should consider insulting?

Nah, no deal. I'd rather you just admit that inaccurately calling someone else a hypocrite and that you're placing your own feelings onto that word. My "idea" is just the definition of the word; your idea is the definition in Replicant-town...or, like a say, a general connotation of it.
It is to me because

Oh, it is to you? Well then maybe it wasn't to Ol No Bones.

This is true.

Oh, hey, I agree. I am an Xbox fan, and I am not liking this rumor at all. I am just going to save my frustration for when and if it's official. Let's hope it was, and always will be, just a rumor.

Hey, if people pay over $50 a month on their cell phone plan, why wouldn't they pay this for the privilege of playing games online?

If your comparing having a phone line and internet connection with a device to use it and online gaming to just playing online games...

/clap

You do realize you have to still find an always on internet connection to go with that. You will also still need a phone if you want a job or to contact friends.

/shrug

Iacobellis

If MS falls flat on their face, I think Apple should jump in the race. It could be how Microsoft filled the void when SEGA left.

With the Durango supposedly at $500, what do you guys think the chances are that the PS4 will come in a $500 model?

I'm curious because rumors regarding hardware specifications point to the PS4 being more advanced, so what features would actually justify Microsoft charging an equal or greater price for their console? Kinect, maybe?

Oemenia

Banned
Im a little late to this thread, but what is this guys credibility? Has he been right before, these really seems like MS are trying to shoot themselves in the foot if they want to launch at that price.

With the Durango supposedly at $500, what do you guys think the chances are that the PS4 will come in a $500 model?

I'm curious because rumors regarding hardware specifications point to the PS4 being more advanced, so what features would actually justify Microsoft charging an equal or greater price for their console? Kinect, maybe?

I still think the PS4 will have a 399 model. Thought they might just match the 720 in price with a PSN+ version to match the subscription model.

They have said many times that they have learned from PS3 pricing mistake. Why would they keep telling us that?

just listened to the what the tech episode. I would remove the the backwards compatibility portion from the op.

Nothing he said in regards to it is fact. He even specifically said he does not know anything in regards to backwards compatibility and was simply guessing.

stryke

I've gathered that Thurrott has been pretty reliable in the past but out of curiosity what are some of the things he has disclosed previously that have turned out true?

If your comparing having a phone line and internet connection with a device to use it and online gaming to just playing online games...

/clap

You do realize you have to still find an always on internet connection to go with that. You will also still need a phone if you want a job or to contact friends.

/shrug
I was implying that cell phones are now considered a tool that people consider essential. When the ipad came out I laughed my ass off thinking no one wanted to lug one of those things around, and was dead wrong. Tablets are now approaching the 'tool' status of cellphones. A gaming console is not close to being in the same league as those.

So, I was mocking the comparison.

Top Bottom