• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Paul Thurrott: Xbox 720 is expensive: $500 or $300 for sub model, 5/21 Unveil

just listened to the what the tech episode. I would remove the the backwards compatibility portion from the op.

Nothing he said in regards to it is fact. He even specifically said he does not know anything in regards to backwards compatibility and was simply guessing.

Yet every other recent rumor also suggest no Backwards Compatibility.

The only rumor that supported backwards compatibility also said the next Xbox would continue to use IBN chipset to do so.

This did not happen. The new chipset isn't compatible or strong enough to run a fully software mode version.

Granted who knows, maybe more expensive model would? I doubt it more things to go wrong.

ypo

Hey you guys pay hundreds a month on food, why wouldn't you guys pay for the privilege of playing free online gaming.

Oh, that is rich you hypocrite, especially considering your original post:
Whoa there buddy. I shouldn't have made the blanket statement about gamers when i meant some gamers. No need to be up in arms. But yes you would probably be one of the overly dramatic ones. That is just my speculation based on your posts.

I'm curious because rumors regarding hardware specifications point to the PS4 being more advanced, so what features would actually justify Microsoft charging an equal or greater price for their console? Kinect, maybe?

Rumours suggest they both probably have a 'similar' target cost.
MS put Kinect in there and needed 8GB of RAM; this was at a time when Sony were aiming for 4GB or so.

I thought that was the trade off; more RAM (as background functions take up more space) and less speed.

Now? I just don't know. Kinect 2.0 can't be cheap and Sony seem to have raised their target cost with 8GB shift - betting on a fall in RAM prices over the next few years. Few conversations here and there on gaf make me feel the target price has not changed and thats all locked down.

Sony just decided to take a bigger hit; they're aiming to take it all and are putting a lot on it.

-------------------------------------

$500 does surprise me though; I don't entirely understand it. Maybe its arrogance, the old 'well they'll pay more for our brand'; or maybe that camera is that expensive.

Everything else is very similar just Sony has far superior RAM; maybe MS have upgraded theres too or they really are betting on Kinect which personally I just think is a baffling business decision.

If its one they've made, they better hope they're not getting WiiU like launch articles of 'issues' with multiplatform titles.

FroJay

Banned
Always online

$500 pricepoint

Kinect in the box

PS4 potentially cheaper, more powerful, and not always online.

Is there even a debate on which console to buy? I'm jumping ship for sure if this stuff is true, totally unnacceptable.

Whoa there buddy. I shouldn't have made the blanket statement about gamers when i meant some gamers. No need to be up in arms. But yes you would probably be one of the overly dramatic ones. That is just my speculation based on your posts.

Mirror Mirror on the Wall whose the most dramatic of them all?
Why gorgeous Grimshawish, I think it may be Ol No Bones.

Always online

$500 pricepoint

Kinect in the box

Is there even a debate on which console to buy? I'm jumping ship for sure if this stuff is true, totally unnacceptable.

Halo, Forza, and Fable?

If based on just the system. No.

artist

Banned
Always online

$500 pricepoint

Kinect in the box

#jumpout

ps2013ad_24733.nphdmibyr.jpg

What I really don't get with the $500 price tags being tossed around is that the PS3 was screwed over with $599 in 2006. Back in 2006 the economy was booming. We have yet to recover from it tanking in 2008.

You can't get them on other consoles.
You can get pretty similar stuff though.

For me, personally, Halo and Fable aren't as big a draw as they used to be. I feel like there last few games have declined in quality. Instead I'd be more interested in MS attempting to push new IPs and gameplay.

However, if Microsoft's system is always online, there's pretty much nothing they could release that would convince me to buy it. I just don't want to be supporting anti consumer practices like that.

Come on, you know why we are talking about their importance.
I'm starting to think that 1st party games will play a smaller role next gen. All the big ones seem to be played out, or selling worse than their previous versions (or both). At least it's a good time to be a PC gamer.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
You can get pretty similar stuff though.

For me, personally, Halo and Fable aren't as big a draw as they used to be. I feel like there last few games have declined in quality. Instead I'd be more interested in MS attempting to push new IPs and gameplay.

However, if Microsoft's system is always online, there's pretty much nothing they could release that would convince me to buy it. I just don't want to be supporting anti consumer practices like that.

I am just saying that those franchises are important to some people and they take that into account when deciding which console to purchase.

Personally I don't care for the three franchises listed anymore (was burned on Fable, don't like racing games all that much, and Halo just kinda fizzled for me).

I'm starting to think that 1st party games will play a smaller role next gen. All the big ones seem to be played out, or selling worse than their previous versions (or both). At least it's a good time to be a PC gamer.

Eh...I am waiting to see. Hopefully both Sony and MS are working on new IPs and creative sequels to their major hitters already (I know Sony is).

ascii42

Eh, it's not like they won't create new first party franchises.

With the Durango supposedly at $500, what do you guys think the chances are that the PS4 will come in a $500 model?

I'm curious because rumors regarding hardware specifications point to the PS4 being more advanced, so what features would actually justify Microsoft charging an equal or greater price for their console? Kinect, maybe?

Kinect in every box because you know, we all want one. Plus a demo of Project Milo.

Sony would likely be trying to get a sub-$400 model out there but that might be hard. I wouldn't be at all surprised that after E3 we still don't have price figures for either system. Each may be waiting for the other to reveal their pricing strategy first and delay it as long as possible.

FroJay

Banned
Halo, Forza, and Fable?

If based on just the system. No.

The problem for me is I'm not into Fable or Forza. The MS franchises that had/have me hooked are Halo and Gears. The other things that made the difference for me were the Live interface, the controller difference (hate dualshock), and ESPN3 being on Xbox.

Now, I'm not that hooked on Gears and Halo, the draw of their exclusivity isn't as strong as it once was. Hopefully PS4 is better in the online interface experience, the controller is changing slightly, and ESPN3 will just have to be watched on my laptop.

At this point I'm pretty much on team Sony, MS has some serious work to do.

neptunes

Because I can play for Free on my PC and PlayStation Vita/PS3

People been saying that for the past several E3. We are still waiting

but lots of people already pay for XBL Gold, or am I totally missing your point?

and 2008/9/10 was the year of the PS3

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yes yes sure. Name 5 of them if there so many! I bet you can't!
There over 50 countries including the UK
Russia, Italy, Spain, Greece, Sweden, Germany, Portugal, France, Norway, Iceland, Ireland, Finland, Switzerland, Hungary, Poland, Belgium etc
Why did you think someone couldn't name 5?

Are Germany and France in Europe?
Wow

Terrell

NeoGaf must count each refresh as a view? Kotaku, Polygon, Gamespot, etc are all showing less than 50K views for the same stories. Does NeoGaf even have a million unique users? Either that or they all linked here so that is like the total number of views. Point still stands, maybe a million people see it, they are all super hardcore, at least half of them don't actually care. It is all peanuts compared to mass media.

Yea, people will ignore it if it is compelling. Again, the average user doesn't even know or care what always online means. Just like the guy this thread is about, who is more tech savvy than most and didn't really have any preconceived notion of always online. 5 minutes after the announcement all this coverage won't matter a single bit.

We shall see, I look at those articles and I see view counts of 50K and 35K, etc. You add them all up and they don't amount to anything, especially considering that probably at least half the views don't care or won't even remember it in a week.

Social media sharing. And boom goes the dynamite. People don't even have to click the links on Facebook, they just have to read the byline someone posting it gives to it.

Take 50K and times that by the hundreds of sites that have likely covered it, then factor in how many shares each page got and multiply that by a factor of 5. And then factor in people who discuss it outside of the internet.

It's kind of funny how you're working so hard to belittle the reach of internet news.

hey if iPads can sell at $500 why not whole consoles?

The day that a console does even half of what an iPad is capable of doing, we can talk. They have different value propositions and are not equal.

TheHater

but lots of people already pay for XBL Gold, or am I totally missing your point?

and 2008/9/10 was the year of the PS3
Not sure how difficult it is to understand. Why should I PAY TO PLAY ONLINE, when I can play for FREEon my PC, Vita, and PlayStation 3.

Your screen name is fitting
Sounds like you are offended. Many people, including me, have been disappointed with MS E3 Press Conference the past few years. Last year both Sony and MS E3 sucked

I don't like where MS is headed. Sony is going in the right direction. But they got most things right with the Vita and well... You know the story! I just hope Sony has better luck this time around.
Too bad they messed up on important parts like having an LCD model and SD support across all models.

Not sure how difficult it is to understand. Why should I PAY TO PLAY ONLINE, when I can play for FREEon my PC, Vita, and PlayStation 3.

Sounds like you are offended. Many people, including me, have been disappointed with MS E3 Press Conference the past few years. Last year both Sony and MS E3 sucked

Nope, just pointing out what I see.

Would the way always online is rumored to work affect bandwidth caps at all?

I don't think so, but just wanted to be sure if anyone knew.

Forbiden

Would the way always online is rumored to work affect bandwidth caps at all?

I don't think so, but just wanted to be sure if anyone knew.

Given that we don't really know how the actual always online in the Next Xbox is supposed to work, it's probably a hard guess. My take is that if you're not paying attention to your data usage, it does have the potential to affect it. I mean, just think about it...if the console is supposed to be "always on", pushing new game updates, OS updates, and god knows what else, on top of communicating with the servers(which granted shouldn't be much, but it can add up), then it'll be downloading stuff even when you're not aware of it.

These threads have just become parodies at this point. Now people predicting that Microsoft will drop out of console production? I know thats what most of GAF wants but guess what, it ain't gonna happen. I'll check in again in November when the Durango is outselling the PS4 in the US. And once again, we'll learn that rumors about a product 7 months in advance don't mean jack.

So I was wondering, why are people freaking out over potential $500-$600 consoles that you only need to buy once for an entire generation yet people seem to have no problem purchasing new iPads, iPhones, iWhatever, etc every year for the same price or more?

QaaQer

These threads have just become parodies at this point. Now people predicting that Microsoft will drop out of console production? I know thats what most of GAF wants but guess what, it ain't gonna happen. I'll check in again in November when the Durango is outselling the PS4 in the US. And once again, we'll learn that rumors about a product 7 months in advance don't mean jack.

you feeling ok?

Top Bottom