• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PS4 dropping price to 199 tomorrow to counter Switch launch in some EU stores

Elandyll

Banned
That doesn't make any sense. Switch is gonna be sold out. There aren't going to be any consoles on the shelves that they need to counter.
Precisely?

It's not about stealing sales from Switch actually available on shelves (might be a few cases, but anecdotal I imagine), but this here is a "rebound" pricing technique.

SIEE remains more "hungry" than SIEA hehe.

moai

They do this first:
C56Z_6rWYAA7AIf.jpg

Then they slash 100 in price? Pretty bold move

some people said on the zelda review thread that this was "classy". to me they are only promoting their game via zelda´s success. this price cut is also not petty or "unclassy".
both are just business moves.

Snaku

Banned
Lol, Switch is going to get slaughtered this holiday if they keep the price at $300.

Bundle the game of the year, and drop Super Mario Odyssey in time for Black Friday? No price drop necessary. They'll sell as many Switch's as they can make.

Amused

They do this first:
C56Z_6rWYAA7AIf.jpg

Then they slash 100 in price? Pretty bold move

The first is being polite while at the same time reminding people that they have a great new game out. Cool and smart move.

The second is a business making a business decision. Is what it is, it is how competition works - and it is great for the consumer.

I really don't get the "outrage".

phanphare

Banned
Considering it's far from being sold out despite low shipment numbers, it's more a marketing strategy of Sony to take away buzz from the Switch launch. The PS4 price itself isn't even particularly low.

I don't see any reason why they would care otherwise

Seik

Banned
Well, it's not like Sony have to be courteous and let Nintendo get their product out without saying anything. Business is a sea filled with sharks.

Microsoft could do the same as well while we're at it.

sense

Bundle the game of the year, and drop Super Mario Odyssey in time for Black Friday? No price drop necessary. They'll sell as many Switch's as they can make.
Maybe for the first holiday but it really doesn't work like this. Price is king and the biggest multi platform games will be advertised for the hd twins.

Tonyx

It's a pretty good move.

Switch will still outsell PS4 this month but they are containing the damage.

And making people forget Xbox even existed.

Yjynx

Ehmm what happen to this thread?

Hmm I guess Sony really have a lot of leeway to drop price. Will be interesting on how they priced the slim and pro to counter Scorpio.

NSESN

Maybe for the first holiday but it really doesn't work like this. Price is king and the biggest multi platform games will be advertised for the hd twins.

I expect Nintendo to have a cheap solution by holidays 2018(either a handheld only revision or dockless version). I mean they need something to replace the 3ds.

Jumpman23

Is the Pro dropping too? If so, that is some BS considering it just dropped. This is like the 3DS price drop BS that happened shortly after it released. Better be some free games coming.

Calm Mind

Sony still salty about nintendo releasing Majora's mask on ps2 launch day.

Good eye. Most people don't remember that. Most like to think the PS2's launch was spectacular but in reality it was mediocre at best. Full of slightly enhanced Dreamcast ports, glorified tech demos and promises. You know the typical Sony console launch. I remember there being a meme back then that the best selling "game" on the PS2 for the longest time was The Matrix DVD. I can also recall Majora's Mask so vividly just because of the ad campaign and the PS2's North American launch date.

MUnited83

For you.
People also said that about the Wii U and MK8 but it didn't exactly work out that way.

PantsuJo

ONLY for today and tomorrow:
Gamestop Italy website lists

- Ps4 base at 199.99€,

- Ps4 base + Horizon (+ PS Plus) at 249.99€

- Xbox ONE + Gears of War 4 at 149.99€ (but this one ONLY if you trade in your used console).

Entertaining to see all of these posts saying Horizon is going to fail because of one game on a mobile console, even though it's currently being showered with praise. :p

Sony is SHOOK.

Seems like a really smart move, to me. Any people going in on the day of the Switch release without a preorder may be out of luck, but there will be PS4's for $199 instead.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Some Nobody said:
This is just petty, Sony lol. You're already winning. XD
To be fair - PS4 Slim was 199 for quite a bit of time last Sep/Oct already in Europe - ie. they built the Slim for these price-points, now they're taking advantage of it.

Shiggy

Is the Pro dropping too? If so, that is some BS considering it just dropped. This is like the 3DS price drop BS that happened shortly after it released. Better be some free games coming.

We've had PS4 Slims for this price last year already. If you've paid more, it's pretty much your own fault.

Jumpman23

We've had PS4 Slims for this price last year already. If you've paid more, it's pretty much your own fault.
I was only referring to the Pro price. It just released months ago. Pretty sure there's been no reduction in price for that particular hardware yet.

Fliesen

Smart move by Sony. Even if the Switch is sold out now - i suppose there's many people out there who were waiting for Nintendo's latest offering to the console landscape to make their purchase decision.
Sure, the Switch is more or less hard to get right now, but Sony's willing to give up margins for a further boost in market penetration - with stronger and stronger ecosystem lock-in due to paid subscription models and digital purchase of games, market share is more valuable than ever before, even in the long run.

It's actually really smart timing. All the player's cards are on the table - yet the Scorpio is too far in the future.
It's the same reason Microsoft unveiled their "Netflix for Games" thing, and didn't save it for E3.

sense

I think he means that he would be upset if the PS4 pro dropped 100 dollars or so considering it just came out 3 months ago but that is not the case anyways

Raylan

Banned
I think Horizon will be sent to die. Zelda is a bigger franchise and Sony knows that, maybe a reason they're willing to take a hit on a console so people buy Horizon too
lmao
That's why Horizon is #1 on Amazon US, Amazon UK, etc. etc., right? :D
Horizon will sell millions. Which is absolutely fantastic for a brandnew IP on one platform.

eerik9000

No way. They can't keep up with the demand even at it's current price point.

some people said on the zelda review thread that this was "classy". to me they are only promoting their game via zelda´s success. this price cut is also not petty or "unclassy".
both are just business moves.

This is what I dont get with some people, ESPECIALLY gamers... Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft are all businesses. They are interested in creating revenue. They arent your friend and theyre not out to get you. Everything they do is for the purpose of gaining more sales.

Top Bottom