• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PS4 dropping price to 199 tomorrow to counter Switch launch in some EU stores

Honestly this is a pretty smart move. If Nintendo can't keep up with demand, there's really no reason not to cut the price to have a lot of shelf visibility for people going in to look for a Switch at launch.

jono51

Banned
Nothing wrong with competition.

Sony know that if they take out Nintendo this time around, they will get to snap up all their IPs. I'm sure we'll see BotW 4k on the PS5.

Raylan

Banned
ONLY for today and tomorrow:
Gamestop Italy website lists

- Ps4 base at 199.99€,

- Ps4 base + Horizon (+ PS Plus) at 249.99€
So it really is just a temporary price drop. Too bad. Thought they would really drop the price of the PS4 worldwide with a permanent price drop (to $199 / €199). Would be amazing.

jts

...hate me...
Nothing wrong with competition.

Sony know that if they take out Nintendo this time around, they will get to snap up all their IPs. I'm sure we'll see BotW 4k on the PS5.
Bahahahahhahahahahaha

Dream on.

chur

I've been thinking about getting a slim. How loud is it? My launch PS4 is really loud and it bothers me so much.

Galava

They are just selling all ps4 slims on shelves at low price, maybe they are discontinuing ps4 slim in the near future?

jooso

Saw an ad on CDON.com that only said "special offer for gamers to be revealed" and the price was 212 eur. I like how expensive this "mega-deal" is compared to other retailers.

thenameDS

This is why I love competition. PS4 Slim + Horizon + Any colour DS4 = £199 in the UK. What a fantastic deal if you don't own one yet.

Interesting move. I guess I can see how some customers might come to the store for a Switch, not be able to get one, but not want to leave empty handed. I wonder how many people would fall into this category though. I'd have to think that most people in a store for a Switch on release day are well aware of the PS4, and either already have one or have decided they don't want one.

notaskwid

Why would you buy a switch with almost no games for 329 when you can buy a ps4 full of great games for 199. Unless you want a new handheld.

AmFreak

Considering it's far from being sold out despite low shipment numbers, it's more a marketing strategy of Sony to take away buzz from the Switch launch. The PS4 price itself isn't even particularly low.
If not even the first batch of Switch units sells out, at least locally, then there is no buzz to take away for anyone.

Melon Husk

Saw an ad on CDON.com that only said "special offer for gamers to be revealed" and the price was 212 eur. I like how expensive this "mega-deal" is compared to other retailers.

You must be in the periphery of Europe. The Netherlands a central shipping and trading location so everything is cheaper there.

when's the Pro pricedrop?

Why drop the price before Scorpio?

Shock32

I think it's really funnny to see consumers in here who are upset that a business has cut the price of their product in response to competition.

Like wtf. That's good for us.

Exactly. Not to mention the switch is going to sell out regardless. I don't see the fuss, I'm glad we have Zelda and Horizon releasing now. Two great games.

If I remember it correctly, Switch is only sold out in North America and Japan. So Sony could be preventing EU Switch launch units to sell out.

Expect to see 199$ PS4 worldwide this holiday.

Elandyll

Banned
lmao
That's why Horizon is #1 on Amazon US, Amazon UK, etc. etc., right? :D
Horizon will sell millions. Which is absolutely fantastic for a brandnew IP on one platform.
In the US on Amazon, Horizon has been #1 game item on the hourly for days (ahead of even PS Store cards),#1 game item for February (again ahead of Ps cards) and #1 game for 2017 so far.

It's a pretty good way to "die" I guess.

meirl

Banned
lmao
That's why Horizon is #1 on Amazon US, Amazon UK, etc. etc., right? :D
Horizon will sell millions. Which is absolutely fantastic for a brandnew IP on one platform.
Lmao
Amazon best seller lists mean almost nothing. Even NPD doesnt mean that much because they dont track digital.

Mikey Jr.

Haha.

Not sure the point of this. Switch will sell out 100% regardless of ps4 price.

Only reason I see them doing this is to catch customers who were disappointed they couldn't get a switch.

PantsuJo

For most people that 150€-200€ difference is a bigger value than the graphical/performance difference between both.
Indeed.

With 50€ you can buy 2 games (at least, I don't recent sales) from this list in Europe:

- Gravity Rush Remastered 20€
- Valkyria Chronicles Europa Edition 20€
- Infamous First Light 20€
- The Order 1886 20€ (finally the right price, lol)
... and many more.

These are the prices not only on Amazon but also in many other stores.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Haha.

Not sure the point of this. Switch will sell out 100% regardless of ps4 price.

Only reason I see them doing this is to catch customers who were disappointed they couldn't get a switch.

bingo, why not advertise a console cheaper if people cnt pick up a switch and with a game that is beautiful and reminiscent of zelda

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
some people said on the zelda review thread that this was "classy". to me they are only promoting their game via zelda´s success. this price cut is also not petty or "unclassy".
both are just business moves.

The first is being polite while at the same time reminding people that they have a great new game out. Cool and smart move.

The second is a business making a business decision. Is what it is, it is how competition works - and it is great for the consumer.

I really don't get the "outrage".

I'm not "outraging", but didn't expect this until middle of the year or something.

Dremark

Banned
To be fair, they had to drop the price on that. 3DS with it's ancient technology never had any business being $250

Nintendo dropped the ball on the 3DS launch pretty hard. They made a couple of key changes right before the Vita came out to basically correct most of the marketing mistakes they made. The price drop was a key one.

Admittedly they were needed changes but they still basically salted the ground for the Vita right before it came out. I'm not saying Nintendo was malicious or petty, but they made smart business decisions which killed any real momentum Sony would have had otherwise (if any).

Top Bottom