• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PS4 dropping price to 199 tomorrow to counter Switch launch in some EU stores

Shiggy

If not even the first batch of Switch units sells out, at least locally, then there is no buzz to take away for anyone.

Local stores still have it advertised for launch to pick up, so there's some buzz. And media is also reporting a bit.

I don't feel the value. Can I play while I'm on a train on my way to work?
Don't look like a better proposition to me.

Can you play Uncharted 4, Gravity Rush 2, Horizon on the Switch? Your point swings both ways. Obviously value is in the eye of the beholder.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Its honestly about time...With the release of the pro PS4 was gonna drop to 199 this year with or without switch...IMO

Waqas

This deal here is way better IMO

C57Y-DDWQAAHUL3.jpg:large

Link?

bombshell

I think Horizon will be sent to die. Zelda is a bigger franchise and Sony knows that, maybe a reason they're willing to take a hit on a console so people buy Horizon too

Sent to die lmao.

Maybe Nintendo should actually provide some stock for Zelda.

Amazon US - Zelda BotW Switch unavailable for purchase.

2017 Bestsellers so far this year:

#1 PSN $20 voucher
#2 PSN $10 voucher
#3 - Horizon Zero Dawn
#4 - Zelda BotW Switch

Amazon UK - Zelda BotW Switch unavailable for purchase.

2017 Bestsellers so far this year:

#1 - Horizon Zero Dawn
#2 - Zelda BotW Switch

AmFreak

Local stores still have it advertised for launch to pick up, so there's some buzz. And media is also reporting a bit.
My point was that if the numbers are so abysmal that they can't even (at least locally) sell out their first batch there is no need for anyone to counter it.

Melon Husk

Boost Mode says otherwise :)

That's a great deal on a PS4 though if you're after one.

Oh, you're right. Boost fixes occasional frame drops, but that's rather minor. The price/performance is worse no matter how I look at it, even for first party titles.

PS4 slim with these prices, however, is an excellent deal. Consoles are best 3-4 years after launch. Wide selection of games and cheap hardware. PS3 slim in 2011 was a good deal.

This a pretty clever move. The value is undeniable, and to me demonstrates that Nintendo will have a really hard time staying competitive this holiday at the current price.

7Th

I hope they do a hardcore price drop in America on the Pro when the Scorpio launches. I'd definitely get one.

Shiggy

If its regularly found at 200 EUR wouldnt that make the price drop meaningless?

It's typically a limited promotion that only happens at a single chain or online at a specific time. After that it reverts back and you may need to wait for another month if you want it at that price.

My point was that if the numbers are so abysmal that they can't even (at least locally) sell out their first batch there is no need for anyone to counter it.

It still seems to be big enough to try to get attention to your own product, especially when media reports about the new system from Nintendo.

Seems smart. The ps4 is a beast regarding price/performance, and Sony's still trying to saturate the market. It sucks for Nintendo of course, but their base should still churn good word of mouth while stock rolls out.

This will be a good test for the switch when it comes to holiday competition.

a916

I think Horizon will be sent to die. Zelda is a bigger franchise and Sony knows that, maybe a reason they're willing to take a hit on a console so people buy Horizon too

Fam... it's a 50M+ userbase vs 0.

Not everyone is buying a switch, nor can they.

2 day only sale seems weird.

I'd be tempted if it was a PS4pro at £250 tho.

It's not really a bizarre deal, once you consider the economics of it. Nintendo is launching the Switch with a estimated 2 million launch allocation WW. Its really not that much. Considering consumers are going to be going to stores looking to buy this console and likely running into shortage issues, having a PS4 on sale with another great game that just launched this week (HZD) for it, for 100 euro less is a pretty solid business strategy to get a short-term gain off the back of your competitor's stock shortage.

FZZ

Banned
Competition is always good

Also shows that Sony still sees other manufacturers as threats and aren't getting too cocky

Haha.

Not sure the point of this. Switch will sell out 100% regardless of ps4 price.

Only reason I see them doing this is to catch customers who were disappointed they couldn't get a switch.
You say you're not sure what the point of this is, then in the next sentence you give a very valid point.

Shiggy

Regurlaly in certain countries, maybe. Never seen it anywhere near 200€ in Portugal, for example.

Thanks to the EEA, you can just order online though without any customs or particular fees. So it's not really an issue even if it was just an offer in certain countries when there are retailers which ship anywhere in the EEA.

Hardware launch creates interest, gets people in stores -> limited stock means a lot of people won't get a Switch -> people see time-limited promotion of cheap PS4 -> decide to buy PS4.

I imagine that's the logic behind it.

AND it's the last month of the fiscal year and several good exclusive just came out. It's a very shrewd business decision. One of many great ones they've made since the ps4 launched.

RocknRola

Thanks to the EEA, you can just order online though without any customs or particular fees. So it's not really an issue even if it was just an offer in certain countries when there are retailers which ship anywhere in the EEA.

Not every retailer ships to everywhere in Europe though. Some of the really, really big ones do, yes, but not all.

And depending on where it's coming from, the shipping costs may "kill" the deal anywy. For example, Amazon Spain costs me like 6€ to 10€ (depending on what it is I'm buying). Amazon France jumps to 15€ right away, meaning that say a game that costs 10€-15€ there is pointless in my situation as I'll be paying 30€-35€ regardless. So it's not as straightforward as I'd like it to be.

This a pretty clever move. The value is undeniable, and to me demonstrates that Nintendo will have a really hard time staying competitive this holiday at the current price.

Yep, and the very same is probably going to happen this holiday season. PS4 Slim has $199 written all over it. And I suppose Pro is going sub $350 as well to counter the Scorpio.

Shiggy

Not every retailer ships to everywhere in Europe though. Some of the really, really big ones do, yes, but not all.

True, but more than often even Amazon in one of the countries has a big deal like this. Just a few days ago, Amazon UK sold the PS4 for 230 EUR with a second controller and Horizon, which is even a better deal than this.

Top Bottom