• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: So Killzone: SF was only using 1.5GB of VRAM

i-Lo

thuway assured us that it would not over 4GB. In contrast to GopherD, who apparently had better info. As did a junior poster, Shayan, as did whoever leaked their info to Edge. It doesn't matter if it was a last minute change developers didn't see coming -- all that means is that his "source" isn't good enough to warrant top-level hardware specifications speculation.

The one reason I still take into account what he has to say because another much liked source, BruceLeeRoy also assured us that we would not be getting more than 4GB. Given, that some of Sony's own and quite a few third party studios were dumbfounded, it is not hard imagine just how tightly the lid must have been kept on it. I still remember the EDGE article that stated Sony was trying to match MS' 8GB offering and that became a topic open to interpretation.

As for GopherD, I do not remember him saying anything pertaining to 8GB RAM figure (can you kindly relay what he had said?). As for Shayan, it is hard to trust a junior who acts like a fanboy, writes like he has some untold authority, comes off as highly pretentious and is rude as fuck.

But none of the members who get their info through someone else can be relied upon 100%. That said, GopherD's situation eludes me. I am not sure if he has a source or he is one. Lherre for instance is a developer and as such he rarely discloses information. He is a rare first hand source.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
This kind of stuff is more annoying to me than the constant RAM banter.

I mean, RAM is not a made up term and it was the center of discussion before we knew Sony's specs. Comparing an actual hardware element to "Blast Processing" is a bit ridiculous. They said what they had and released a spec sheet.

maybe if people were actually talking about VRAM, the dull workmanlike necessity of the GPU world. but they're not, they're talking about this magical additional GPU turbo charge module which is over twice as big as on any regular video card, and using it like a bored husband left alone for the afternoon uses sasha grey.

Xbudz

"So Killzone: SF was only using 1.5GB of VRAM "

That explains the:

• Pixelated shadows.
  • Geometry detail pop-in.
  • Screen Tearing.
  • 30FPS.

That explains the:

• Pixelated shadows.
    Geometry detail pop-in.
    Screen Tearing
    30FPS.
the game is still in development..give me a fucking break bro. The LOd in the demo was very impressive, minimal for a game still in development and they are targeting 30 FPS, also screen tearing? I saw nothing.

thuway

That explains the:

• Pixelated shadows.
  • Screen Tearing.
  • 30FPS.

You are better than this :-/. The game is in development on prototype hardware that has went improvements of leaps and bounds. You cannot expect greatness from people who are working with utilities that are changing dramatically.

i-Lo

That explains the:

• Pixelated shadows.
  • Screen Tearing.
  • 30FPS.

Pixelated shadows: Yes

Geometry detail pop-in: What? I only saw once when transitioning from gameplay to cinematics near the end where jump to grab the rope takes place.

Screen tearing: What?

30fps: This is getting tiresome. It is up to them to make either 60fps or 30fps regardless of the update in specs.

Oh and.. the game is incomplete.

nib95

Banned

That explains the:

• Pixelated shadows.
    Geometry detail pop-in.
    Screen Tearing
    30FPS.

I didn't notice these two? Soft edged high quality shadows all around.

KZ1.jpg

killzone-shadow-fall-2-800x434.jpg

sony-ps4-killzone-shadowfall-008-630x354.jpg

Hey, just making an observation. I can't wait to see games utilize the PS4 and not just look similar to Crysis 3.

it doesn't looks similar to Crysis 3 at all...I am playing Crysis 3 ATM and the game focuses on overgrown city environments while KZ focuses on a futuristic city. Also the art is way better in KZ.

Also at this point, there are only so many ways of rendering motion blur, depth of field, particle effects and lighting....what were you expecting?

Zeth

Will PS4 still have to use 0.5GB modules? I thought the Titan had a lot of PCB real estate dedicated to ram, this would surely be a design challenge for PS4 hardware/thermals, no?

CLEEK

maybe if people were actually talking about VRAM, the dull workmanlike necessity of the GPU world. but they're not, they're talking about this magical additional GPU turbo charge module which is over twice as big as on any regular video card, and using it like a bored husband left alone for the afternoon uses sasha grey.

Point of note: There's no such thing as VRAM in the PS4 and next Xbox.

Whenever anyone tries to do a PC comparison, I know they have little understanding of the architecture of the new consoles.

You absolutely can't draw conclusions between a PC with separate CPU, main RAM, GPU with VRAM, motherboards and PCI Express and an SoC, APU based console.

An APU by design eliminates many of the bottlenecks found in PCs. Both CPU and GPU on the same silicon, accessing the same unified RAM over a shared bus, massively reduces latency and improves bandwidth. As well as giving dramatic improvements for GPGPU processing.

When that unified RAM is blazingly fast, like the 176Gb/s GDDR5 in the PS4, you have a very capable gaming centric machine, which has a fundamentally different design to to a PC with discreet components and multiple inherent hardware bottlenecks.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Point of note: There's no such thing as VRAM in the PS4 and next Xbox.

Whenever anyone tries to do a PC comparison, I know they have little understanding of the architecture of the new consoles.

You absolutely can't draw conclusions between a PC with separate CPU, main RAM, GPU with VRAM, motherboards and PCI Express and an SoC, APU based console.

An APU by design eliminates many of the bottlenecks found in PCs. Both CPU and GPU on the same silicon, accessing the same unified RAM over a shared bus, massively reduces latency and improves bandwidth. As well as giving dramatic improvements for GPGPU processing.

When that unified RAM is blazingly fast, like the 176Gb/s GDDR5 in the PS4, you have a very capable gaming centric machine, which has a fundamentally different design
n to to a PC with discreet components and multiple inherent hardware bottlenecks.

i guess you didn't read the thread title, developer quote and following discussion.

THE:MILKMAN

Will PS4 still have to use 0.5GB modules? I thought the Titan had a lot of PCB real estate dedicated to ram, this would surely be a design challenge for PS4 hardware/thermals, no?

0.5GB modules are the 4Gb chips. The Titan uses 2Gb chips I think. Seems like Sony designed everything around using 16 chips and hoped 4Gb chips turned up in time.

Thermals wise, I thought we'd be looking at ~20 watts, but someone on B3D thinks these new chips will be at 1.35V which could mean as low as 10 watts for all 8GB!

It'll certainly be interesting to see how much the visuals improve when the game is finished. Kind of a shame Sony didn't finalize the specs sooner. Launch titles will most likely be held back a bit by being designed around weaker numbers.

Demon Ice

Banned
Increasing the RAM will not magically double the framerate. That's dependent on the power of the GPU and CPU. People need to understand that. Killzone will likely remain at 30 fps. It'll just have prettier textures and smoother loading / streaming of large levels.

CLEEK

i guess you didn't read the thread title, developer quote and following discussion.

Don't be a dick. I read it.

If YOU read it, you will see that there is no mention of 'VRAM' in the links. The term VRAM was put in the thread title by the OP, who admits "I'm not really a tech guy".

Early dev kist are rumoured to have separate VRAM and system RAM. Final dev kits with actual PS4 silicon won't, as they will have the unified RAM of the console. If you have unified RAM, you don't have VRAM. It's not semantics, but an important distinction.

Vire

I can't wait for all this nonsense to result into nothing and Killzone SF will look approximately identical to what we were shown.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
It'll certainly be interesting to see how much the visuals improve when the game is finished. Kind of a shame Sony didn't finalize the specs sooner. Launch titles will most likely be held back a bit by being designed around weaker numbers.

Pretty much. I expect to see a significant jump with 2nd generation PS4 games, probably not unlike the jump PS3 exclusives began to experience in 2007.

If its 1.5 GB for VRAM does that refer to RAM purely for visuals outputted by the GPU? So 1.5 GB VRAM, 2GB for CPU functions and 0.5 left for the OS in reserve?

When the player circled around the monument after the explosion in the video, there were definitely pixelated shadows.

You could also see the crates on the landing pad switch LOD as the dropship approached. They were simple textured cubes from a distance, then noticeably switched to crates covered with moving cloth a few seconds before the ship landing.

Xbudz

Why would you expect an unfinished game on prototype (apparently underpowered) hardware look better than a finished one running maxed out on a PC? That's a really strange application of logical thought.

Oh, I didn't expect perfection.
I did however expect a leap in graphics beyond what PC's are doing right now.

thuway

Fuck me just saw this:

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1712718&postcount=88

Originally Posted by almighty
And?

The original spec PS4 had 4Gb so that would be the same as a PC with a 2Gb GTX680 and 2Gb system RAM.

I seriously, seriously doubt that this demo uses over 2Gb of main RAM, especially as the demo might not even be 64bit.

The GTX680 is just a much much faster GPU then what's inside PS4 and that's what the problem is, not lack of memory :rolleyes:

edit: thuway fails:

Honestly you have no clue on what you are talking about. This demo was created/running on approximation hardware - not final dev/PS4 silicon. Also, the demo was created within a constrained timeframe for showing. Just for sh**s and giggles, the demo only used 27-29% of the AH resources - unoptimized. Before you ask, there is no link, I am the link.

Top Bottom