• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Ghosts is 720p, PS4 version is 1080p?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNCMark

Banned
Some serious goal post moving and downplaying in this thread already. People saying they prefer 720p and people saying that Call of Duty looks like shit so this revelation is irrelevant. What a load of shit pouring some mouths.

One guy did it sarcastically, but dont let that stop you from attempting to start a flamewar. And in case you didn't notice, most of the people saying COD looks like shit are only buying a PS4 anyway.

Gaz_RB

lol more tales from reddit

dont believe this one bit. even the mods are playing coy, they already know what the outcome is going to be like and it ain't what the majority of neogaf is thinkin

Foghorn Leghorn

Unconfirmed Member
I've been hearing about swizlzling, tiling, move engines, shape, esram, the cloud and all the other coprocessors and all that combined can only manage is 720p? You've got to be kidding lol. As someone else said awhile ago, balance means every part is equally mediocre.

I think you need to think about the implications of this if the game can't run above 720p on the Xbone.
Can't be.

Doesn't COD have dedicated servers? If so, that frees up all kinds of resources on the console to enable much higher fidelity gaming related persistent world content experiences.

Empty

reminds me of the start of last gen when madden was 30 fps on ps3 and 60 on 360

still a bit hesitant to buy into this rumour though

Vizzeh

Banned
thank you. OP should update. also, did famous start all of this and people just assumed its 720p? i see other "sources" jumped in with 720p too - just checking

Yeah, another guy posted this in the other thread:

OK sports fans, here's the status as I understand it:
BruceLeeRoy: waiting on secondary source.
FamousMortimer: waiting on secondary source.
Thuway: balls are out on the table in glorious 720p
Bish: Am disappoint
Y2Kev: Incredulous
Stay tuned right here folks. If this shit were any more real, it would be real!

- Mourt had to bow out and called a self-ban basically (altho no need for that I think, he didnt call the 720p Rumour officially) He wanted other sources to back up before spilling the beans but had a meeting to go with, hopefully with the shit hitting the fan, he can further confirm this.

I wonder if this is the bad news that was supposed to hit sometime last week. Someone posted that something negative about the Xbone was going to be let out. It didn't happen so I wonder if this was supposed to be it...

I believe that was the fact that none of your old headsets will work, and no third party headsets will be ready for launch.

Unstable

Can't run COD at 1080p 60fps, cost $100s more than the PS4, and comes with a camera no one wants.

ms001kyoyc.gif

Ballmer sabotaging Xbone confirmed.

Ploid 3.0

This makes me concerned for Insomniac's Sunset Overdrive. These guys always seem to be upstaged by better graphics games. I can't see their game being graphically jaw dropping if they will have to fight tooth and nail to squeeze it out of Xbox One at 1080p 30fps. It's possible (Ryse) at least. They are very good at engineering game engines so I guess I shouldn't worry too much. I won't get to play SSO but I hope it does very well for them.

dreamfall

Are people tweeting to Major Nelson too?

Why can't he say something right here!

These rampant speculations are doing nothing but increasing doubt- we need some confirmation as to the validity of this :/

see5harp

Some serious goal post moving and downplaying in this thread already. People saying they prefer 720p and people saying that Call of Duty looks like shit so this revelation is irrelevant. What a load of shit pouring some mouths.

Most of those people are (hopefully) joking. If it's running at 720p, I hardly think some crappy launch software damns the box. There were plenty of multiplatform games that ran at shitty resolutions early on in the generation on PS3, and developers eventually got a handle on it. In any case, I'll wait for confirmation from digital foundry.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
3GB reserved for OS and they still might be having issues on that side of things too? That'd be a much bigger deal than a multiplat game being 720p at hardware launch.

Gestault

But it's downplaying the issue. If this ends up being true then that will 100% confirm that the PS4 will have better multiplatform games. The console that is cheaper and has more powerful hardware. Who would have ever guessed?

Wow, you're having a lot of imagined conversations in your head.

Biker19

Banned
Are people really going to cancel their Xbone preorders over Call of Duty? Seems like a huge investment over just one game.

Once people find out that the PS4 version is Native 1080p while the Xbox One version of this game is Native 720p, they'll definitely do it & cancel all Xbone pre-orders in favor of PS4. And that will be a HUGE deal.

COD is one of those games that's extremely mainstream to casuals.

I think you need to think about the implications of this if the game can't run above 720p on the Xbone.

But Ryse can run at 900p?

I think the implication is that Infinity Ward are lazy dev's. I fully expect the PS4 to routinely outperform the Xbone but CoD@720p is down to the dev's, Especially when it looks ever so slightly better than Blops 2 which runs at 880 x 720 on hardware much less capable.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Are people tweeting to Major Nelson too?

Why can't he say something right here!

These rampant speculations are doing nothing but increasing doubt- we need some confirmation as to the validity of this :/

Thats because he needs the OK from HQ to respond. Generally its what all PR related folks have to follow when working for a large company.

I am going to offer some logic here, for only a few sentences.

The X1 original dev hardware (sent out possibly 8-18 months ago) had 12 gigs of ram. The PS4 dev hardware had 3-5 gigs of ram (possibly sent out around the same timeframe as X1's).

I think that for the past year, or however long the dev kits were in the wild, companies were coding their games to those specifications.

When Sony found out X1 was going with 8 gigs earlier in the year, they upped theirs last minute to 8 as well. (big change for being so close to launch).

Microsoft seen no reason to really force the extra 4 gigs (and risk sounding like idiots) by saying "We actually decided on 12 gigs guys!". Their plan might of been to say 8 at first, then do 12 if Sony was at 12, or some other number that made X1 look weaker.

This left all companies scrambling to dumb down their un-optimized games for X1's lesser hardware. This is of course assuming the X1 devs were just making a mess with their coding and using up tons of extra ram for no apparent reason.

I am still convinced, even if this is not exactly what happened, that X1 did intend on 12 gigs of ram like their dev kits. But changed it last minute. The PS4 has only a small margin of power, yet plenty more 1080p offerings, only reinforcing such reasoning.

arnold_smokingpot.jpg

JB1981

Needs more attention in my opinion (this is Forbes in June)

In talking to a developer who wished to remain anonymous, gamers will see a difference on Day One when they compare third party PS4 games to Xbox One head-to-head. The developer told me the PS4 is 40 percent more powerful than Xbox One and games like Call of Duty Ghosts will be noticeably different out of the gate.

Holy shit

Freki

So my XBO will be a great cable box and media box, and my PS4 will be my game console?

Sounds right based on this.

(I am still a bit excited for the XBO just for the media stuff, is that bad?)

If it's worth 500$ to you of course not - value is subjective after all...

allan-bh

People want to measure the power of Xbox One based on Call of Duty?

That's joke right? It is obvious that if the rumor is true, it's not lack of power.

Gestault

But Ryse can run at 900p?

I think the implication is that Infinity Ward are lazy dev's. I fully expect the PS4 to routinely outperform the Xbone but CoD@720p is down to the dev's, Especially when it looks ever so slightly better than Blops 2 which runs at 880 x 720 on hardware much less capable.

Please don't do this. I hate it when PS3 enthusiasts pull it out, and I'll hate it just as much this gen with XB1 enthusiasts.

Fallom

Banned
I'm sure reasoning might be:

"Casuals can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080"

This stuff is getting so tiresome. If you add up what the internet thinks "casuals" and "the average consumer" don't care about, you end up with a group of people who don't care about graphics, don't care about interfaces, don't care about framerate, don't care about paywalls, don't read internet forums, don't read gaming magazines, don't research $500 purchases, and don't talk to their friends. I'm led to believe that there's millions of non-sapient grey blobs wiggling around and accidentally dropping money at Gamestop who somehow make up the majority of gamers.

FourMyle

Pretty much. And people pointing to Forza 5 as "proof" of 1080p when that game barely looks better than Horizon and has 0 AA/AF. The DF threads next month are going to be entertaining for sure.

2SeeKU

Sooo, next gen roughly looks like this then?

PS4 > XBO >= Wii U

I've always been an Xbox guy (l own a PS3, but still prefer the xbox), but damn, when do we get GOOD NEWS?! Forza and the next Remedy game is the only thing that keeps me from changing to the PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom