• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-=-=->S P O I L E R S<-=-=- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Spoiler Thread

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yunobo is a lovable character, and he came through when Link needed him.

Derpot

Oh alright, but he's not allowed to go anywhere near Link and Sidon's wedding cake until after it's been carved, I worry he might trip and ruin their special day.

He'll get in the cannon to do fireworks

Yunobo is a lovable character, and he came through when Link needed him.

Yes, I like him! He looked scared and all, but he didn't run away and was here to help Link. The cutscene when he sees Daruk is touching too.

Ms.Galaxy

He'll get in the cannon to do fireworks

Yes, I like him! He looked scared and all, but he didn't run away and was here to help Link. The cutscene when he sees Daruk is touching too.

Oh man that cutscene was amazing, it actually gave me a big smile.

Cuburt

I wish they went further with the champion's successor thing they had going on...

jltKi0J.jpg

Yeah this is basically the one thing I wanted to go into this spoiler thread to say.

I really liked what they did for Mipha and how it fleshed out her character as well as the town and her people in the time since her death, as well as how her death personally affected them, but I felt like for all the other champions, that link wasn't as clear or at least as fleshed out. I was really hoping to find out that Urbosa was Riju's mother, which I know wasn't as likely with the time gap, but at least for there to be some more connection between the two. Even with Daruk's descendant being there, I was hoping Yunobo had a more pivotal role among the Gorons or at least felt like you understood how more characters thought of him and what it meant to be a descendant of a champion. All that stuff felt like great potential for some story that just didn't end up being there.

I've heard people speculate that the Zora town/beast/story was the most fleshed out because it was the first that was done and others were more rushed and I wonder if there is something to that. Besides all the townsfolk reactions seeming to be the most tied to the events of the Divine Beast, besides the Gerudo, there is also more side quests that give you the armor rather than just buying it like you do almost every other place (outside of the guy who can give you the Flamebreaker armor which I missed and which seems pretty easy to skip to just buy it due to where you find him) and the Thunder Helm. Not only that, the Zora Armor has a story reason for existing and different parts have different attributes outside of the set bonus other pieces have (spin attack, climbing waterfalls) that no other armor set seems to have. The lack of unique armor/set bonuses and the redundant effects of some pieces makes me wonder if some bonuses were cut or simplified. Even the confusion over heat resistant vs flame resistant vs flameproof and the weird shock resistance vs shockproof set bonus/lightning proof helm that makes some redundancy as well as confusion over how resistance of a status effect work when "shock resistance" mostly cuts down on the damage you take, but "fire resistance" with just one piece of armor completely stops you from burning or taking fire damage (though I guess it's technically a "fire guard" effect) and yet there is also a "fire proof" set bonus that seems like it should be implicit with a fire guard protection. It's basically game logic oddities like that that make me wonder if things where changed, cut, or were still being developed and weren't fully formed yet.

Pineconn

I like to think Teba/the Rito don't mention Revali a lot because they all know how much of a chode he was.

And I'm totally fine with that.

Derpot

Yeah this is basically the one thing I wanted to go into this spoiler thread to say.

I really liked what they did for Mipha and how it fleshed out her character as well as the town and her people in the time since her death, as well as how her death personally affected them, but I felt like for all the other champions, that link wasn't as clear or at least as fleshed out. I was really hoping to find out that Urbosa was Riju's mother, which I know wasn't as likely with the time gap, but at least for there to be some more connection between the two. Even with Daruk's descendant being there, I was hoping Yunobo had a more pivotal role among the Gorons or at least felt like you understood how more characters thought of him and what it meant to be a descendant of a champion. All that stuff felt like great potential for some story that just didn't end up being there.

I've heard people speculate that the Zora town/beast/story was the most fleshed out because it was the first that was done and others were more rushed and I wonder if there is something to that. Besides all the townsfolk reactions seeming to be the most tied to the events of the Divine Beast, besides the Gerudo, there is also more side quests that give you the armor rather than just buying it like you do almost every other place (outside of the guy who can give you the Flamebreaker armor which I missed and which seems pretty easy to skip to just buy it due to where you find him) and the Thunder Helm. Not only that, the Zora Armor has a story reason for existing and different parts have different attributes outside of the set bonus other pieces have (spin attack, climbing waterfalls) that no other armor set seems to have. The lack of unique armor/set bonuses and the redundant effects of some pieces makes me wonder if some bonuses were cut or simplified. Even the confusion over heat resistant vs flame resistant vs flameproof and the weird shock resistance vs shockproof set bonus/lightning proof helm that makes some redundancy as well as confusion over how resistance of a status effect work when "shock resistance" mostly cuts down on the damage you take, but "fire resistance" with just one piece of armor completely stops you from burning or taking fire damage (though I guess it's technically a "fire guard" effect) and yet there is also a "fire proof" set bonus that seems like it should be implicit with a fire guard protection. It's basically game logic oddities like that that make me wonder if things where changed, cut, or were still being developed and weren't fully formed yet.

Yeah, Zora's quest was definitely the most interesting to do (and Sidon is my favorite character so teehee~), Gerudo's quest was really good too. Rito's quest was too easy and too short, and that's a shame because I like the Ritos and Revali (my favorite champion). Goron's quest was okay but I agree about what you say about Yunobo. I would have liked to know more about his burden for being a descendant of Daruk and maybe his fears about not being as great as him, or something like that, just to give him more development.

I don't know if there's a specific reason why certain town's storylines/number of quests were more involved than others (ie Zora and Gerudo had more than Rito and Goron). It could just come down to size in the case of Rito. A shame because the music and surroundings there were the most relaxing. I'm glad the developers don't care much about consistency nitpicks like the Rito's supposed evolution. Birdhead>Duckbill.

Derpot

I don't know if there's a specific reason why certain town's storylines/number of quests were more involved than others (ie Zora and Gerudo had more than Rito and Goron). It could just come down to size in the case of Rito. A shame because the music and surroundings there were the most relaxing. I'm glad the developers don't care much about consistency nitpicks like the Rito's supposed evolution. Birdhead>Duckbill.

When I heard Rito Village's theme. Right in the feels. It was one of my favorite musics in Wind Waker ;-;

Ms.Galaxy

I feel like the Gerudo has the most thought and care put into their world building and backstory with the Zora coming in second. I'm actually glad they did, I love the Gerudo culture and their town, and I've always wanted to know more about them since we first seen them in Ocarina of Time.

I'm also glad to see that the Gerudos are now accepted into Hyrulian society and even turned into the biggest trading contributors in all of Hyrule.

(Now if only I can figure out why Darmani from Majora's Mask is memorialized in Goron City... Seriosuly, Goron City has little to nothing in terms of quests, story, and lore.)

Yeah, the fact that the fireproof armour doesn't protect you from the desert's heat bothers me a lot and isn't very intuitive.

I'm honestly a lil baffled by the gulf between the champions. As you say, Mipha's general arc seems the most fleshed out in general thanks to the tie ins with the armour, the tablets with history on it, everyone talking about her and whatnot but I'd argue that both she and sidon seem to have a bit more 'design' to them as well. The others don't seem quite as remarkable from their kin in my eyes as the royal zora children who look super different (Sidon towers over his fellow fish folk while mipha is super mega tiny and both feature an assortment of adornments that help make them more visually interesting too) I'd argue the only pair that come close are Riju and Urbosa (who kind of flip what zora did, having the champion towering while the 'helper' is tiny) while at the other extreme you could easily slap revali and your flight buddy in the village and nobody would even know they're special by looking at them.

...also I'm in the crowd who found yunobo almost intolerable :p

Did anyone else think the Rito village was too small given the size of Dragon Roost Island in WW? I know only some parts of the island was the Rito home but Rito village was basically a large stone pillar and a bridge to the entrance. Also the smallest one compared to the other champion's tribes.

Derpot

I think it was quite interesting to see how the elder Zoras were angry at Link and the Hylians. Usually Zoras are pretty chill haha

Ms.Galaxy

I think it was quite interesting to see how the elder Zoras were angry at Link and the Hylians. Usually Zoras are pretty chill haha

I mean, the supposed "Champion of Hyrule" did fail and got nearly killed during the Calamity, plus the King's Divine Beast plan killed their beloved princess. I would be pissed at the Hylians too if I was in their position.

It's been a while since we've seen Ganondorf. I wonder why.

Part of me thinks Nintendo realized that his representation as a Gerudo was problematic. I think they're aware of this because Urbosa has a line that kind of references this.

Alternatively, maybe they're just bored with Ganondorf. I do agree that "Calamity Ganon" (more a force of nature than a human) fits with this game's nature themes.

I do hope we get an interesting human-like villain in the next Zelda game, though. One with a legitimate motivation and back story. It doesn't have to be Ganondorf -- in fact, I hope it isn't. I'm kind of bored with that character myself.

I mean, the supposed "Champion of Hyrule" did fail and got nearly killed during the Calamity, plus the King's Divine Beast plan killed their beloved princess. I would be pissed at the Hylians too if I was in their position.
Not only that, but when the champion of hyrule did fall, he was whisked off to a revival chamber while the others, including Mipha, had no such luck (though admittedly it's fun to realise that the revival chamber might've not even been necessary if Mipha had been available :p )

Ms.Galaxy

Part of me thinks Nintendo realized that his representation as a Gerudo was problematic. I think they're aware of this because Urbosa has a line that kind of references this.

Alternatively, maybe they're just bored with Ganondorf. I do agree that "Calamity Ganon" (more a force of nature than a human) fits with this game's nature themes.

I do hope we get an interesting human-like villain in the next Zelda game, though. One with a legitimate motivation and back story. It doesn't have to be Ganondorf -- in fact, I hope it isn't. I'm kind of bored with that character myself.

Maybe cause he's old and kinda been done to death. They even killed off Ganon in one of the timelines and made him into a mindless beast and force of nature in another.

For story driven games, like Zelda, having the same villain appear again and again, making the same mistakes, does get kinda old quick. It's fine for Bowser and Robotnik because they're technically cartoon villains and idiots, but Ganondorf is much more serious.

Hey, we still have Vaati, maybe they can use him for the next game. It's been awhile too. We also have Shadow Link too.

How is it problematic ?

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Did anyone else think the Rito village was too small given the size of Dragon Roost Island in WW? I know only some parts of the island was the Rito home but Rito village was basically a large stone pillar and a bridge to the entrance. Also the smallest one compared to the other champion's tribes.
I mean, Rito village isn't Dragon Roost.

robochimp

I actually stopped believing the Sword of Sages was even in the game while I was trying to get it. I started googling for pictures to see if it was real, I found someone on reddit (I think) who said they'd been reloading for over four hours and hadn't gotten it, someone said they tried for 2 hours a day over multiple days trying to get it, etc.

If people scanned once a day as Nintendo intended it would take literally months and months to get all the special costumes and weapons. Scanned it 60 times in two hours? That's two months' worth of legit scans. Fuckin crazy how rare some of it is. I hope to god they don't change anything before the Majora and Skyward amiibo come out to make it so you really can only scan once per day, what a goddamn nightmare that would be.

After doing just one daily scan for two weeks I have all of the costumes except for one piece of 8-bit Link's costume. No bow but I have gotten Gannon's sword.

tkscz

Because his dark skin was used to convey his evilness/exoticness.

That was a pretty common anime trope back in the day, but I think now people realize it isn't a good trope.

Ganondorf was always a green tent, as a means to separate him from the rest of the Gerudo. Even from OoT, we were told that the Gerudo were thieves only because of being forced to live in a desert with no food, but they aren't bad people. Hell, we've even been given more insight into Ganondorf as his only want for the Tri-force (at least personally for him, not for Demise who I'm sure he was unaware of) was to give his people a better life. So if it was meant to convey his evilness, didn't do that good a job.

I agree with this, but to add to it, Mipha had what I felt was the only close relationship with Link. Ravali couldn't stand Link, Daruk treated Link like a younger brother, and Link's only memory of Urbosa had her being closer to Zelda then him. Hell, the way NPC's talk in Zora's domain hint that Mipha and Link might have been a little more than friends (not to mention the Zora suit which is given only to those the princess plans to marry and the Line from his memory). It felt like they fleshed out the Zora area way more than any other. Plus in the after credits scene, only Vah Ruta stopped working and Link and Zelda plan on going to Zora's domain to tell the King about Mipha. Wouldn't be surprised of the story DLC let you go there to find Mipha alive again.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Teba was so cool. He was also the most under-utilized of the successors. He surpassed Revali by a country mile. His bird bro that got injured had potential to be cool, too, but he ended up not doing... anything, really.

I liked all of the successors and champions, but Teba, Sidon and Daruk are probably my top three of the lot. I liked Urbosa a lot, too, even if she was somewhat abrasive.

i think you are waaay off mark here.

Am I really off the mark here?

I don't think it's a coincidence that Link and Zelda were designed with light hair and light skin, whereas Ganondorf was designed with dark skin. I think the character designer was trying to use color to convey their goodness/evilness. That was a pretty standard character design trope.

Ganondorf was always a green tent, as a means to separate him from the rest of the Gerudo. Even from OoT, we were told that the Gerudo were thieves only because of being forced to live in a desert with no food, but they aren't bad people. Hell, we've even been given more insight into Ganondorf as his only want for the Tri-force (at least personally for him, not for Demise who I'm sure he was unaware of) was to give his people a better life. So if it was meant to convey his evilness, didn't do that good a job.

I agree that Gandondorf's dark skin and evilness can be justified, and they weren't being deliberately racist. However, from a surface view, you just see that the one main character with dark skin is evil. That's a bad look even if it can be justified. I think they realized that's a bad look, and now they prefer to avoid this trope.

I see evidence of that in how they softened the image of the Gerudo in BotW. In OoT, the Gerudo are the only black people and they are thieves who live in an exotic land. Again, although this can be justified, on a surface level it looks bad. However, in BotW, the Gerudo are portrayed as just normal people. I think they are deliberately stepping away from the "black is scary and exotic" trope.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Link and Zelda were designed with light hair and light skin, whereas Ganondorf was designed with dark skin. I think the character designer was trying to use color to convey their goodness/evilness. That was a pretty standard character design trope.

I agree that Gandondorf's dark skin and evilness can be justified, and they weren't being deliberately racist. However, from a surface view, you just see that the one main character with dark skin is evil. That's a bad look even if it can be justified. I think they realized that's a bad look, and now they prefer to avoid this trope.

I see evidence of that in how they softened the image of the Gerudo in BotW. In OoT, the Gerudo are the only black people and they are thieves who live in an exotic land. Again, although this can be justified, on a surface level it looks bad. However, in BotW, the Gerudo are portrayed as just normal people. I think they are deliberately stepping away from the "black is scary and exotic" trope.

Doesn't this line of thought conveniently ignore that impa is actually dark skinned as opposed to 'green' and a major part of the 'good' side in the same games though? Or am I mis-remembering something? :/

edit: huh, looks like I was somewhat misremembering after all. She's actually pale skinned in OoT apparently and only becomes darker skinned in later games :eek:

edit 2: ok, the more I look into this the more confuzzled I am...

...what the heck???

Golnei

edit: huh, looks like I was somewhat misremembering after all. She's actually pale skinned in OoT apparently and only becomes darker skinned in later games :eek:

edit 2: ok, the more I look into this the more confuzzled I am...

...what the heck???

SS Impa was the only one with a notably dark complexion, and going by the appearances of the Sheikah in BoTW, it doesn't look like that design decision will be repeated any time soon.

SS Impa was the only one with a notably dark complexion, and going by the appearances of the Sheikah in BoTW, it doesn't look like that design decision will be repeated any time soon.
Shame because her SS and HW designs are badass :/

Looking at the official art and whatnot it looks like OoT Impa was supposed to be darker than she ended up in the actual game (see the character image and the preview IGN screenie in my above post) and they lightned her up more in the 3DS remake?

Regarding Ganondorf's appearance, here's part of the Art & Artifacts interview:

Nakano: "The first illustration I did of Ganondorf had these wide-open eyes. Not exactly an intelligent look, but more like he might have been a little mad. In the end we arrived at a design that made him look not only more intelligent but also, at the same time, like the epitome of an evil ruler."

So, I guess one could see him being a variation on 'cunning foreigner', but there may not be much intentional meaning in the design. However, it is good that Gerudo don't have to just be thieves or pirates now.

Anyway, in BotW the Japanese-analogous Sheikah (if we include the Yiga) are closest thing to a villainous NPC group.

AGITΩ

After beating the game, I still had a bit of an urge to play through some more Zelda, so I restarted a file of Skyward Sword and boy, I didnt realize how much from this game feels lifted up straight from that game.
Lake Floria was originally theorized to have become Lake Hylia but is clearly its own thing. Laying over some Key spots on the map, you can tell that the Spring of Courage is the Goddess statue at the end of the Skyview Temple in serious decay, the area before it with all the Lizalfos also looks like the ruins of the largest room in that temple.
The Spring of Power looks directly ripped from the Earth Temple. Though the whole Lanayru region is off, since its normally by Lake Hylia or the Desert region, unless the moved it over. Though I just got to the Skyview Temple for the second time, there was no spring to strike that would resemble what is the Spring of Wisdom.
I'm not fully on them Timeline Convergence theory but still leaning towards Adult Timeline/Post Wind Waker timeline on this game.

Warning Spoiler Armor!!

This is my Favorite look for Link
( Fierce Deity )
so I could not wait to get this unlocked. Not sure how these eBay people do it but whatever. All I know it worked.

I am uploading an hour long video of chasing down materials to Upgrade this armor to max

here are some pics I posted on twitter

C8nr6yzXgAQncvL.jpg

C8nr_9oXgAAQzPj.jpg

C8nsKySXsAEa3CU.jpg

C8nsKzBXcAEyJA2.jpg

Golnei

So, do we think the confidential envelope might be related to the future DLC or just a useless item?

I'm not sure they'd be able to show the contents of the envelope, given the game's rating. However, fans are more than capable of providing comparable images of Impa and Purah.

NEO0MJ

I never&#8203; thought of the Gerudo as black but I get what you mean. In OOT they portay however that some Gerudo thought the way they&#8203; were heading under Ganondorf was wrong and even had one as a sage.

The others don't seem quite as remarkable from their kin in my eyes as the royal zora children who look super different (Sidon towers over his fellow fish folk while mipha is super mega tiny and both feature an assortment of adornments that help make them more visually interesting too)

Don't&#8203; forget that Mipha was probably&#8203; still young in Zora years. They're very long lived in this game and their take a long time to fully mature. Before the Calamity hit Sidon was too young to even remember Link, unlike the other mature Zoras.

Was thinking about the story recently and realized something weird about the shrines.
In one of the Link's memories, Zelda went to one of them investigate. She tried to enter it but she states only the Hero can access them. Why? Did the Sheikah built it as fail safe if the Guardians and Divine Beast turned against them?

Ms.Galaxy

Was thinking about the story recently and realized something weird about the shrines.
In one of the Link's memories, Zelda went to one of them investigate. She tried to enter it but she states only the Hero can access them. Why? Did the Sheikah built it as fail safe if the Guardians and Divine Beast turned against them?

I don't think only the hero can access them, but only a true hero can complete them. They were just deactivated at the time; not even Link could access it until he activated the Sheikah Tower and its underground network.

I believe they were designed to strengthen and test the hero's wit, resourcefulness, and strength in order to prepare him for the fight with Calamity Ganon should it ever rise again.

Derpot

I was wondering how the Champions controlled the Divine Beasts. Did they use Sheikah Slates too?

Teba was so cool. He was also the most under-utilized of the successors. He surpassed Revali by a country mile. His bird bro that got injured had potential to be cool, too, but he ended up not doing... anything, really.

I liked all of the successors and champions, but Teba, Sidon and Daruk are probably my top three of the lot. I liked Urbosa a lot, too, even if she was somewhat abrasive.

I liked Teba too. He's a good birb dad and he's adorable with his son. I wish we could have seen more of him D:

Kanhir

I wish they went further with the champion's successor thing they had going on...

jltKi0J.jpg

I genuinely went into my first Beast (Ruta) thinking that Sidon was going to be the new pilot. It seemed like a given, considering how much screen time he'd had up till that point, and it would have been great character development.

Still, I'm happy with how it turned out, since Link got to say his last goodbyes and the champions got their last hurrah.

This was one of my biggest beefs with the game. I feel like Ganon's been developing as a character as the series progressed - Wind Waker went the furthest with his character development, giving you the reasons why he did what he did.

Enter BotW, where he's just an "it", a recurring spirit monster thing with no form and no relation at all to the Ganon of earlier games. Only Urbosa vaguely knows he was even Gerudo at one point, and it implies she doesn't even know that he was originally Gerudo.

I think this whole game really undoes all the good they've done for his character. If they were going to do it this way, they might as well have just brought him back as Demise.

I'm not sure they'd be able to show the contents of the envelope, given the game's rating. However, fans are more than capable of providing comparable images of Impa and Purah.
You think it's a nude photo? If it is then that seems really random. I mean they have done some pervy things in this game, but still.

KahooTs

So the bow of light out of nowhere. You'd think there'd have been some mention of the weapon you use to finally kill off Ganon somewhere in the game before hand.

80 odd hours of hearing all about the master sword that seals the darkness destined for the great hero to defeat the great evil with. Then the time comes and all of a sudden, "Yo Link here have this sweet ass bow I just found and finish off his final pure evil form with it."

"ok..."

takriel

So the bow of light out of nowhere. You'd think there'd have been some mention of the weapon you use to finally kill off Ganon somewhere in the game before hand.

80 odd hours of hearing all about the master sword that seals the darkness destined for the great hero to defeat the great evil with. Then the time comes and all of a sudden, "Yo Link here have this sweet ass bow I just found and finish off his final pure evil form with it."

"ok..."
Everything about the ending seems incomplete and rushed. Such a shame.

Derpot

There's only one slate, so maybe not. I'm just going to say magic, they already had magical abilities prior to being champions.

Yeah, they never mentioned other Sheikah Slates, but since Link can control the beasts with his slate, I thought that maybe the Champions had one, or perhaps they had some kind of "telepathic" connection with the beasts?

Why does the appearance of the Sheikah in BOTW matter at all for the next game? The Sheikah and the Zora change drastically between games, OoT -> TP -> SS -> BOTW.

Ms.Galaxy

Everything about the ending seems incomplete and rushed. Such a shame.

It is rather strange. You would think that at least there would be guardians running around trying to kill you as you fought Beast Ganon, but no, just you and this giant slow pig that only shoots a slow beam of purple light in a giant field of nothing. I actually had a bit of a laugh and decided to just sit inside some nearby ruins at the edge of the field and do nothing and Ganon just... stood there and tried to blast me, didn't even bother to move closer at all.

17814258_1872646846280362_2686095224631524520_o.jpg

You can literally just sit here and finish him off.

Aren't Gerudo brown or middle eastern?

latest

Even the music...

Golnei

Why does the appearance of the Sheikah in BOTW matter at all for the next game? The Sheikah and the Zora change drastically between games, OoT -> TP -> SS -> BOTW.

They were never depicted as an entire society instead of just Impa until this point, and the human tribes generally don't change in appearance as much. I think that they were intending to establish a sort of baseline Sheikah appearance here.

Aren't Gerudo brown or middle eastern?

Even the music...

BoTW introduced some Gerudo that could be considered black, but the OoT ones did conform to a more standard caricature of Arabs in that regard.

Top Bottom