• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Gear VR : Consumer Edition Thread: Goodbye, real world.

Homeboyd

Funny, I was just playing Land's End. Pretty cool VR experience. With headphones it is immersive.
Yeah I liked how it used eye tracking for the controller since A) I don't have a controller and B) tapping the side of the headset is not ideal lol

More stuff like that would be great if anyone has recommendations.

Just got mine! Finally! Took 5 weeks here in Amsterdam.

So far I think it's pretty amazing for a first step into VR (way way waaaaaaaay better than cardboard) bit is true that this technology still needs one generation or two to become huge. I mean, you get used to the screen door effect but the resolution really needs to increase ten fold at least. The thing bothering me the most is actually the big pressure that it puts on my face and the blurriness at the edges of your vision , i notice it a lot and tires my eyes a lot although you get a bit yard to that too.

Gonna go through the thread to check some recommendations :)

Homeboyd

So since no one else is really talking about this anymore, my past couple of days I've spent the most time with:

- Land's End (favorite so far)
- Bait
- Smash Hit
- Jurassic Park (for quick viewing to show off tech)
- Ocean's Rift (same as above)
- Oculus Video (the different theaters are great)
- GrooVR
- Netlfix

I don't have a controller and have yet to purchase anything. I really want to check out Dreadhalls (got the demo), but don't have a controller so RIP. I do have Samsung Internet and a few other games that are pretty cheesy (like "Finding" and "InCell").

Anything else worth checking out atm?

So since no one else is really talking about this anymore, my past couple of days I've spent the most time with:

- Bait
- Smash Hit
- GrooVR
- Netlfix

I don't have a controller and have yet to purchase anything. I really want to check out Dreadhalls (got the demo), but don't have a controller so RIP. I do have Samsung Internet and a few other games that are pretty cheesy (like "Finding" and "InCell").

I haven't picked up a controller yet either. I'm waiting for either the Moga Pro or the SteelSeries XL to go on sale at Amazon. I may just need to buckle down and place the order. Leaning toward the SteelSeries.

I've played Smash Hit (fun) with the touchpad. I want to dive into Land's End and especially Anshar Wars 2 ... and maybe Gunjack.

weshes195

Hello, I have a question about the free games for Gear VR (when buying with that sale). It says I have to create an oculus account and download the games by the end of the day.

Where is the app? I looked up oculus on the store on the edge but I couldn't find it? I would like to get these free games so any help would be very appreciated!

Homeboyd

I played Sisters on Google Cardboard. It pretty much let me know that I'm not cut out for horror in VR. I literally ripped the headset off and screamed at one point.
I told my wife if she made it through 60 seconds of this game, I'd watch the notebook with her. Even considered giving her 30 seconds.

We'll find out this weekend.

Ok got one, like it so far.

Can someone tell me the best short experiences with Gear VR?

Im taking this with me on a family trip and they would love to experience it :)

give me the things that impressed you most.

I notice that I'm not able to fully focus the outer rim of my vision, it's always a bit blurrier than the center. Is this unavoidable? It makes using this a bit uncomfortable after a while.
I also notice that colors from objects in this part of the screen tend to bleed (don't know what the technical term is).

So far those two things are my biggest gripes with this, way more than the screen door effect or the FOV.

I notice that I'm not able to fully focus the outer rim of my vision, it's always a bit blurrier than the center. Is this unavoidable? It makes using this a bit uncomfortable after a while.
I also notice that colors from objects in this part of the screen tend to bleed (don't know what the technical term is).

So far those two things are my biggest gripes with this, way more than the screen door effect or the FOV.

I'm pretty sure that's a downside of VR at the moment. Even the big time headsets have blurring as you get farther away from the center of the lens.

I have the exact same issue and I find the center is particularly blurry at best too anyway. Feels like a quick taster of what Vr is going to be, but I can't do much more than a half hour without feeling like I'm suffering from impaired vision. It's holding me back from PC VR too since it's making me realize than I need image quality up to the standards of at least a 1080p screen at desktop sitting distance before I can really enjoy it.

Scanna

I'm actually preparing a video about top games on Gear VR if you guys're interested, it should be ready by end of the week ^^

I'm pretty sure that's a downside of VR at the moment. Even the big time headsets have blurring as you get farther away from the center of the lens.

Well that's a bummer then. I don't mind it for my gear vr since i would have gotten my s7 anyway and i got the Gear VR for free to boot. But if resolution, FOV and screen door effect of the rift and the vive are not that much better then i think i will definitely hold on buying any of those head sets and wait for the second generation.

What's the reason for the blurriness, though? I guess it must be the difference between the curvature of the lenses and the flatness of the displays? Perhaps a curved display could solve the issue?

Just upgraded my Note 4 to the S7 Edge and I'm selling my Gear VR on ebay.

I should be able to get at least enough to get the new headset judging from what the Innovator Editions usually sell for on there.

It'll be nice that I wont have to worry about compatibility issues with apps as much with my S7 as I did with my old Note 4. I was worried that Minecraft wouldn't come out to the Note 4 Gear VR when that eventually comes out.

I spent the last couple of days checking things out while I've got the windows for it. Finally got into some games and not just "experiences."

Picked up Land's End, and...I'm not really feeling it. I'm not a fan of the teleportation movement in general, and the puzzles so far are hardly puzzles. I had that exact same feeling about the puzzles in Monument Valley, so I guess I shouldn't be too shocked. Still, I'm only through Chapter 1, and its short enough that I'm going to sit down and power through it hopefully today.

Smash Hit though? Simple and free and a blast for the first impression. I can't see it being fun after a few hours.

Got a lot more to get through. Super bummed out that Oculus Arcade is currently off the store. I was looking forward to some VR Streets of Rage.

ViciousDS

Banned
So I tried to play Sisters.

Fkn nooope. Jesus Christ that shit is scary.

didn't do anything for me.......if this, is the real feel of VR, I am not going to bother picking up PSVR it seems my lack of depth perception really ruins the experience. I didn't actually feel anything. It was interesting they way you could look around and see everything but nothing gave me stomach aches, butterflies, or anything that tricked my body into thinking it was real. All it felt like to me was I was in a big room....sandwiched in a giant circle TV, instead of being in the experience.

- Bait
- Smash Hit
- GrooVR
- Netlfix

Street VR
Cirque Soleil
Gunjack
Night Cafe
Milk VR (eg the "Gone" interactive series)

Also I love Herobound: First Steps which is free (I bought the sequel which is more of entire game, like having a home town, NPC's etc) but requires a controller. Its way nicer using the controller even just for navigation for none analog game controls (eg look and button press on a controller in your l lap rather than having to keep hand raised all the time, easier home screen navigation etc)

UrbanRats

So I tried to play Sisters.

Fkn nooope. Jesus Christ that shit is scary.

I played Sisters on Google Cardboard. It pretty much let me know that I'm not cut out for horror in VR. I literally ripped the headset off and screamed at one point.
I really must be desensitized to horror, because it did absolutely nothing for me.

Dreadhalls also did very little, but it did had a couple of creepy moments.

I still believe in horror vr, I just want someone competent work on it.

Toyama on PSVR is my dream right now.

I don't suppose any of you know if there's any difference of End Space on Cardboard and GearVR? It costs 5x more on Oculus store so if there's not much difference I may as well get Cardboard version :p

I don't suppose any of you know if there's any difference of End Space on Cardboard and GearVR? It costs 5x more on Oculus store so if there's not much difference I may as well get Cardboard version :p

Has anyone tried End Space? At this point we have Anshar Wars 2, GUNJACK and End Space.

Anyone play all three? Which is the best of the three?

Edit: Apparently this question has been asked multiple times on Reddit. The answer: buy Anshar Wars 2. It's on another level. It's gonna be hard to wait til Father's Day for that SteelSeries XL...

jon_dojah

Banned
Nice, right when I upgraded my Note 4 to a S7 Edge and sold my old Gear VR, haha.

I suppose I'll wait for impressions while until I get the newer Gear VR.

Running really smooth on my S6 with 3D rendering on. It is off by default for some reason. Otherwise its just playing in a 2D 360 universe. Works really well when standing up.

Carmack thinks its wise to use swivel chair though:

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/725379903374249984

hmm, i have a galaxy s7 edge and my vr apps have started chugging. are there any settings that i should adjust? i clear out my ram and all the other apps when i try to run it but it still runs like crap. :(

Hopeford

Just got one of these plus an S7, I'm all in for VR now, gonna buy a Vive soon.

Quick and dumb question: how do I uh, download netflix for it? Like where do I go to download it? I feel like it's probably in the main menu somewhere where I can't see because I'm dumb, but yeah.

EDIT: Just as I post this I found it haha. Sorry!

Just got one of these plus an S7, I'm all in for VR now, gonna buy a Vive soon.

Quick and dumb question: how do I uh, download netflix for it? Like where do I go to download it? I feel like it's probably in the main menu somewhere where I can't see because I'm dumb, but yeah.

EDIT: Just as I post this I found it haha. Sorry!

I totally had the same problem, you're not alone.

rbanke

I decided to finally see what my options were regarding controllers so I could check out the Minecraft thing but out of ps3, ps4, xbox 360 & xbox one (both with wireless dongles & OTG cable) controllers not a single one of those work. I don't think I can justify buying another controller just for this. Aggravating.

I decided to finally see what my options were regarding controllers so I could check out the Minecraft thing but out of ps3, ps4, xbox 360 & xbox one (both with wireless dongles & OTG cable) controllers not a single one of those work. I don't think I can justify buying another controller just for this. Aggravating.

Yeah that's where I am too. I've got a SteelSeries XL at the top of my wish list for Father's Day.

I went with a GameSir G3 Bluetooth Game Controller . Works fine.

I was struggling with this and finally decided to get a moga Pro. I prefer the look of the steel series but i hate the fact that it runs on batteries while the moga Pro you can even use as an external battery to charge your phone.

Does anybody here also have it? Is it good? Any issues?

Bio-Frost

I was struggling with this and finally decided to get a moga Pro. I prefer the look of the steel series but i hate the fact that it runs on batteries while the moga Pro you can even use as an external battery to charge your phone.

Does anybody here also have it? Is it good? Any issues?

Ive never had any issues with the pro. Just keep it in B mode and everything should be good.

Top Bottom