• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound cancelled [Platinum Games and Kamiya have commented]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Have Platinum made any good games the last few years? I really didn't expect this game to be that much better.

Not that I was particularly excited about this game. It's been a long while since we got a Kamiya directed game and it's about to get much longer

prwxv3

Yep.

ReCore definitely deserves a sequel
Ryse
Sunset Overdrive
Quantum Break
Ori (I think this is getting one)

All these games have their issues. But it's hard to argue that they don't have the potential to become franchises if given the proper chance.

Mainly because there is nothing like them out there. Outside maybe Quantum Break, all those other games are pretty unique games in today's market. There's no reason that with time and a proper budget, these games couldn't turn into franchises.

Ori is their best selling new IP and it reviewed well. It's getting a sequal.

m23

Well that sucks. Scalebound would have been a nice way to diversify the X1 library a bit even if it didn't set the world afire.

Pretty much. Gave some hope that MS was still willing to take risks. That's clearly out the window.

Steveo

Banned
Are you honestly serious?

Most studios could only wish to have release as many great games as they have.

They have a couple of (mostly low budget) games that aren't that great but come on.

Their output the last two years has been more bad than good.

Bayonetta 2
The Legend of Korra
2015 Transformers: Devastation
2016Star Fox Zero
Star Fox Guard
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan

That's more bad than good on their recent releases. Seems like to me a developer in a lot of trouble, Scalebound cancellation is indicative of bigger issues. I don't think Platinum games will be around much longer. You will not continue to get projects funded with outputting quality at the level of Star fox Zero, Legend of Korra, TMNT, and now Scalebound.

I'm really bummed about this... I hope Platinum isn't in any danger-- Clover getting shut down years ago was so tragic and I don't want to see that happen again :(

Look, once upon a time I thought MS was a breath of fresh air for gaming. I grew up a Nintendo fan, but they lost their way, and Sony filled the gap with the Playstation. PSX and PS2 were amazing machines, but the PS3 started a s a major joke and screwup. Enter MS with not only the Original Xbox as an alternative to the PS2, but the 360 which was INCREDIBLE in the early days

But then, MS corporate became more involved in the games division. After the first few years of 360, more and more rehash on the box, and less variety. PS3 came roaring back with a diverse lineup, and the initial release of the XB1 was a complete failure. Nothing had changed from the late years of the 360... and the PS4 simply obliterated it. Now, in year four the PS4 is REALLY hitting its stride, and the XB1 is treading water with a great weight strapped to it and dragging it down.

Japanese publishers don't even bother with the XB1 anymore, which is sad given how EASY it is to port between these machines. But they just don't. I feel sorry for those who bought an XB1 on the promise of a "better" lineup, because from what I can tell unless you like more Halo, Forza, or their "clones", you are SOL

Basically, at this point there is zero chance I would buy the Scorpio. Don't care how pretty the games are. Hopefully, Nintendo makes enough of a comeback that MS will be forced to go back to a more innovative approach, or quit gaming all together.

My guess is that the next big bomb will be Square pulling all future support for the box as well. They already have pulled everything that isn't the latest FF, or possibly KH. No chance at anything like DQ, or anything more niche.
Why would you hope they quit gaming? Less competition is the answer to a generation that some already feel is disappointing?

I wonder if this is gonna turn Platinum away from those big western publishers coupled with how TMNT worked out.
The service model is taking a big hold in the west with a lot of bigger publishers so they might not fit with their expectations. The again against all negativity surrounding the project, Grasshopper has seemingly managed to deliver with Let It Die so nothing is set in stone.

Gbraga

Well I did read it but your post is nonsense.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/w...ya-talks-scalebound---the-biggest-game-of-my/

Scalebound was getting a ton of marketing such as the series of exclusives that IGN had. It was a AAA game in which Microsoft was banking on and so was Platinum. Just because a game looks bad doesn't mean it's not AAA.

Edit: Here's an article where Ken Lobb SPECIFICALLY says it's AAA.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/platinum-s-xbox-one-exclusive-scalebound-will-shoc/1100-6424598/

Am I reading too much into this Kamiya quote or is he basically saying that Microsoft said they'd help out if it got too challenging in the technical front, in a way of saying "don't hold back, make something big"?

If so, that adds more to the "Platinum bit off more than they could chew" angle. If you have one of the biggest publishers in the world telling you not to worry about it that they'll support you, of course you would.

Like, this part:

But trying to make a game this big, you need someone that really believes in it and is going to support it and Microsoft sat up and did that for us. Both making the bet on the game, but also support where we don't have the technical knowledge or get stuck.

This is pretty much saying that they only went with something this ambitious because of the promise of both financial and technical support for doing something they're not able to achieve on their own. And that both parties were well aware of that.

All these people talking about how Scalebound "didn't look like a Platinum game" seem to forget that Clover/Platinum made games other than combo-heavy character-action before they were pigeonholed into that genre forever post-Bayonetta.

This is another thing I liked about the project. It didn't look very interesting to me, but with their three currently announced projects being RPGs, it was incredibly exciting to see them exploring whatever they felt like. And Scalebound was that in the AAA space.

plake

Although I don't own an XBone this is sad news. The game looked great when shown - although a bit rough; it had a good idea in there. I hope it's possible to pick it up later on somehow.

Wereroku

I agree with this. I mean I can't know for sure of course, but it's also my guess.

As mad in love as I am with Platinum Games, especially Bayonetta, I was never really convinced by the gameplay showings of Scalebound.

I was super hyped by the announcement and CG trailer, but gameplay-wise it never seemed to get to that "platinum feel".
The last E3 demo was the worst, imo a borefest of slow, impactless ranged shooting on a big foe with no hit reaction whatsoever, almost like the polar opposite of what you'd expect a Platinum game to be.

It's true that it can be argued it was too many new things at once (open-world, rpg, co-op, etc), but to be fair even the combat (what those guys know best) never really felt there to me.

I really didn't expect this to be canceled though, quite a shock, but I'm not especially mad that I don't get to play it, aside from the pure curiosity of course.

There is a writer on twitter saying he was close to one of the platinum devs and says they were played pretty much the same way the Phantom Dust devs were. They were given insane milestones and withheld funding for the past year. So that seems to be MS's go to when they want to get out of a contracted game.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So it's been confirmed? Holy shit.

I hope Platinum can come back on their feet. Would be a shame to lose such a talented developer.

Yea was coming to post the exact same thing.

Holy shit. I was looking forward to this game too.

Let's hope for Kamiya and the team to pick themselves up and make the most angry af petty-ridden agenda of rage action game to end all action gaems.

UoelY8z.gif

^ This for 20+ hours with complete post-release support for the next 2 years after that.

Maxim726X

I bough a One on sale around the holidays, because at this point there are enough titles to warrant a purchase.

But the upcoming release schedule looks grim. There's no other way to put it.

prwxv3

Their output the last two years has been more bad than good.

Bayonetta 2
The Legend of Korra
2015 Transformers: Devastation
2016Star Fox Zero
Star Fox Guard
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan

That's more bad than good on their recent releases. Seems like to me a developer in a lot of trouble, Scalebound cancellation is indicative of bigger issues. I don't think Platinum games will be around much longer. You will not continue to get projects funded with outputting quality at the level of Star fox Zero, Legend of Korra, TMNT, and now Scalebound.

Star Fox is mostly on Nintendo. And part of the problem with some of those liciensed games was the level of support received from activision.

Kaelan

My point is that people aren't buying new IPs, they're buying services. They want a game where their skills can grow, where they can get better and they can build a community around it.

That's something that's going to be more and more successful, and not because publishers are pushing this model, but because gamers are buying into it. They're jumping from one COD to another, from one FIFA to another.

Stand-alone, single-player experiences are such a gamble for publishers that they don't see them as being viable any-more. New IPs are at risk if they don't conform to this logic.

In the past 6 months, only 2 new IPs made it through the top 10 of NPD ; No Man's Sky and Overwatch. Food for thought...

Good point. Gamers want games they can invest in. SP games are becoming more of a minority this generation, and if they are made its usually an open world that can cater to that "service" model whether it'd be skills, microtransactions, etc

Look, once upon a time I thought MS was a breath of fresh air for gaming. I grew up a Nintendo fan, but they lost their way, and Sony filled the gap with the Playstation. PSX and PS2 were amazing machines, but the PS3 started a s a major joke and screwup. Enter MS with not only the Original Xbox as an alternative to the PS2, but the 360 which was INCREDIBLE in the early days

But then, MS corporate became more involved in the games division. After the first few years of 360, more and more rehash on the box, and less variety. PS3 came roaring back with a diverse lineup, and the initial release of the XB1 was a complete failure. Nothing had changed from the late years of the 360... and the PS4 simply obliterated it. Now, in year four the PS4 is REALLY hitting its stride, and the XB1 is treading water with a great weight strapped to it and dragging it down.

Japanese publishers don't even bother with the XB1 anymore, which is sad given how EASY it is to port between these machines. But they just don't. I feel sorry for those who bought an XB1 on the promise of a "better" lineup, because from what I can tell unless you like more Halo, Forza, or their "clones", you are SOL

Basically, at this point there is zero chance I would buy the Scorpio. Don't care how pretty the games are. Hopefully, Nintendo makes enough of a comeback that MS will be forced to go back to a more innovative approach, or quit gaming all together.

My guess is that the next big bomb will be Square pulling all future support for the box as well. They already have pulled everything that isn't the latest FF, or possibly KH. No chance at anything like DQ, or anything more niche.

It's odd that you equate support from Japanese developers with success sum total...

Or that Square Enix, of all companies, pulling support would be damaging.

Well I did read it but your post is nonsense.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/w...ya-talks-scalebound---the-biggest-game-of-my/

Scalebound was getting a ton of marketing such as the series of exclusives that IGN had. It was a AAA game in which Microsoft was banking on and so was Platinum. Just because a game looks bad doesn't mean it's not AAA.

Edit: Here's an article where Ken Lobb SPECIFICALLY says it's AAA.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/platinum-s-xbox-one-exclusive-scalebound-will-shoc/1100-6424598/
Well, I do agree with what you've posted. But also, someone making games should also want their game to be a commercial success, in addition to fulfilling their personal ambitions and goals and visions to ensure that they make the best possible game they can. Unfortunately, the realization should have been seen from the very start that MS was not a good fit for this to happen, because look at where we are now. MS eventually gave up, and didn't let his vision become reality. I guess what I'm trying to say is yeah at its conception it was intended to be a AAA GAME but unfortunately as people are posting here, it was never going to be a AAA SUCCESS. Look at Sunset Overdrive. And as being a One owner, it does hurt to say a lot of games aren't gonna be successes on the platform. I legitimately miss the 360 days of the JRPGs that only came out on that system. Shit, I was planning on getting Scalebound.

DVCY201

Love Kamiya, and this certainly was an ambitious project. But it feels like he wanted to do too much with it and the engine and hardware just weren't cooperating. It's terrible, and I hope he's alright.

I won't lie though, it didn't look great. I felt it needed way more development time. MS just decided to cut their losses I suppose

Maxim726X

Star Fox is mostly on Nintendo. And part of the problem with some of those liciensed games was the level of support received from activision.

More indicative of Platinum having an 'A' team and a 'B' team... And I think we can point to the 'B' team projects.

IMO.

Footos22

Have Platinum made any good games the last few years? I really didn't expect this game to be that much better.

Come off it. When given the budget they do their genre a massive service. Bayonetta 2 and rising were awesome. I'm sure Nier is gonna be great too going from the demo.

Don't let tmnt and Korras low budget affairs take that away from them. Studios gotta eat.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Doubt it. Crackdown seems to be next on the chopping block.

You take this back. I would seriously sell the XBO S we just got if this happens.

If that would happen only thing I would be looking forward to is more 360 BC games...

Sesha

Bayonetta 2. Serious GotY contender. Transformers Devastation was decent. Considering Kenji Saito's work on MGR and considering Activision's history, the game's being what it was was probably a work of miracle. NieR Automata looks good, and the overall word about the demo is very positive. Everything else recently have been Activision licensed games and Miyamoto's quirky design showcase Star Fox Zero.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Is there a reason to believe that this wasn't Platinum's decision? As far as I can tell Platinum's work load has been intense for the last few years.
You don't drop you biggest project just because your work load is intense. This was not a Platinum decision as far as I can tell.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Wow, this is really surprising. Really looking forward to hear the stories on what happened here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom