• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound cancelled [Platinum Games and Kamiya have commented]

Status
Not open for further replies.

prwxv3

Bayonetta 2. Serious GotY contender. Transformers Devastation was decent. Considering Kenji Sait's work on MGR and considering Activision's history, the game's quality was probably a work of miracle. NieR Automata looks good, and the overall word about the demo is very positive. Everything else have been Activision licensed games and Miyamoto's quirky design showcase Star Fox Zero.

There had to be a transformers fanboy executive at activision. That game was no where near Korra or Turtles.

My biggest concern, right after Kamiya's health, is just how Platinum is gonna recover from this. It's apparently one of if not the biggest game they have worked on so I really hope they have something else lined up after it because otherwise that's a bunch of employees without work.

Someone get Lucasfilm and EA on the phone so we can get the Mace Windu game we deserve.

nevDqr0.gif
LplIMlp.gif
nsn29ul.gif
evaztMq.gif

icespide

Banned
to everyone saying "buying a console for one game is dumb"

this is precisely why these companies announce these games so far out.

I am somewhat interested in Gears and Halo, but not nearly enough to buy a console for. When Scalebound was announced I was immediately excited and made me a lot more interested in an Xbox One.

I had just enough interest in Gears, Halo, etc. that I went ahead and picked up an Xbox One when I saw a good deal. If Scalebound had never been announced, I would have never done this.

Now sure the purchase wasn't a total waste, I've enjoyed some games, but I can't help but feel very annoyed and sad about the whole thing. To the point where my interest in future Xbox exclusives is all but depleted

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Pure speculation I admit but we haven't seen anything from Crackdown for some time and Scalebound looked farther along than it did. I hope I am wrong, I love that series.

Good point, when is the last time we seen or heard anything about Crackdown?

Is there a reason to believe that this wasn't Platinum's decision? As far as I can tell Platinum's work load has been intense for the last few years.

Doubtful.

Developers making expensive shit rarely pull the eject lever on account of wasting their publishers money.

CCIE

Banned
Why would you hope they quit gaming? Less competition is the answer to a generation that some already feel is disappointing?

Because the void will always be filled by someone. And maybe that group would do more than push Halo and Forza clones. Possibly Amazon or Google would be my guess.

ZoddGutts

Weird that it's both shocking but also not that surprising at the same time for me. The game never looked like it came together.

There is a writer on twitter saying he was close to one of the platinum devs and says they were played pretty much the same way the Phantom Dust devs were. They were given insane milestones and withheld funding for the past year. So that seems to be MS's go to when they want to get out of a contracted game.

Damn. That's fucked up

4Tran

Have Platinum made any good games the last few years? I really didn't expect this game to be that much better.
You should revisit this question after Nier: Automata comes out. It's their most recent game, and it honestly looks fantastic. The problem with Platinum is that they've mostly been working on licensed titles where they don't have a very big budget to deliver the kind of big games that people are looking for. It's only fair to judge them when they have the freedom to make games the way they see fit.

In the case of Scalebound, it feels like Platinum had a grand idea of what it was to be, but they've been unable to communicate that idea properly in the little demos they've released. As such, the game looked pretty bad, but I imagine that the finished form would be quite a bit better. Sadly, we will never know because Scalebound is now dead and buried.

Wow really wasn't expecting this news. I mean, it never looked like it was going to be a top quality AAA game but it still looked like it could have been decent and its been in development for a good while now.

Not great news for MS but hopefully they can have a rethink and invest in some better quality exclusives for Scorpio, clearly their focus is going to be on that now and not so much on Xbox One.

Their output the last two years has been more bad than good.

Bayonetta 2
The Legend of Korra
2015 Transformers: Devastation
2016Star Fox Zero
Star Fox Guard
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan

That's more bad than good on their recent releases. Seems like to me a developer in a lot of trouble, Scalebound cancellation is indicative of bigger issues. I don't think Platinum games will be around much longer. You will not continue to get projects funded with outputting quality at the level of Star fox Zero, Legend of Korra, TMNT, and now Scalebound.

Some of those had really short development time since there were so many released in that time by relatively small studio- so it's more of a proof that Platinium can deliver results even when resources are limited.

Sesha

Their output the last two years has been more bad than good.

Bayonetta 2
The Legend of Korra
2015 Transformers: Devastation
2016Star Fox Zero
Star Fox Guard
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan

That's more bad than good on their recent releases. Seems like to me a developer in a lot of trouble, Scalebound cancellation is indicative of bigger issues. I don't think Platinum games will be around much longer. You will not continue to get projects funded with outputting quality at the level of Star fox Zero, Legend of Korra, TMNT, and now Scalebound.

Three Activision games, one of which was at least decent, and two games Platinum didn't do much design work on.

Platinum has a rep for developing titles fast and efficiently and for making quality titles provided they are given enough time and money. And looking at MGR and Transformers Devastation it seems they don't need much to pull it off. They'll be fine.

Jarmel

Banned
Am I reading too much into this Kamiya quote or is he basically saying that Microsoft said they'd help out if it got too challenging in the technical front, in a way of saying "don't hold back, make something big"?

If so, that adds more to the "Platinum bit off more than they could chew" angle. If you have one of the biggest publishers in the world telling you not to worry about it that they'll support you, of course you would.

Like, this part:

This is pretty much saying that they only went with something this ambitious because of the promise of both financial and technical support for doing something they're not able to achieve on their own. And that both parties were well aware of that.

This is another thing I liked about the project. It didn't look very interesting to me, but with their three currently announced projects being RPGs, it was incredibly exciting to see them exploring whatever they felt like. And Scalebound was that in the AAA space.

It's plausible. It's very possible. The original agreement could have been that Microsoft would have helped them out, but backed out later. I could see that being the angle/feelings at Platinum in that they were relying on Microsoft to an extent and Microsoft wasn't really interested in the past year due to switch over to a 'games as a service' model.

There are definitely going to be some bitter feelings at Platinum about this.

My biggest concern, right after Kamiya's health, is just how Platinum is gonna recover from this. It's apparently one of if not the biggest game they have worked on so I really hope they have something else lined up after it because otherwise that's a bunch of employees without work.
It would take a minute to get the ball rolling but I hope that Nintendo throws another dormant IP their way. Maybe even a Bayo 3

Daouzin

Doubtful.

Developers making expensive shit rarely pull the eject lever on account of wasting their publishers money.

Just never seemed like a big focus for them.

I hope you guys are wrong, but I imagine you guys are right.

I just think Scalebound just looks too much like an afterthought. If their studio is in Japan I imagine it would be way easier to work with Nintendo or Sony on a different project.

Star Fox is mostly on Nintendo. And part of the problem with some of those liciensed games was the level of support received from activision.

I like how patterns for MS mean something but with Platinum it's all the publishers fault. Everything they've released since Bayonetta 2 has been poor to average at best when they used to make consistently amazing titles that felt really unique.

Also, say what you will about MS pulling funding, but it doesn't change the fact that most of the big risks they've made over the last couple of generations (particularly with Japanese studios) have all flopped in some regard. It's not too surprising they're sticking to safer strategies even if it means that the game division's just going to suffer a slightly slower death.

Volcane

Disappointing news. I liked the look of the giant monster fights, and I love dragons.

The main thing I disliked about it, was the dude bro protagonist, as he just seemed such a naff character.

It definitely has put a dampener on the Xbox line up. I hope there is some hidden exclusives for the Scorpio launch, else their line up seems weak.

There is a writer on twitter saying he was close to one of the platinum devs and says they were played pretty much the same way the Phantom Dust devs were. They were given insane milestones and withheld funding for the past year. So that seems to be MS's go to when they want to get out of a contracted game.

This is bad if true. Part of the reason why the whole competition is good thing is a joke. What's more important is who is actually competing and what the competitors are doing for the health of the industry overall. This type of behavior puts devs out of business and hurts the industry.

Sesha

There had to be a transformers fanboy executive at activision. That game was no where near Korra or Turtles.

Could be. Or it could be Kenji Saito is just that great a director and Eiro Shirahama isn't actually that bad. Although T: D seemingly had higher production values than Korra or TMNT, so maybe they did get more time and money to do their thing properly.

Gusto

Transformers: Devastation is a gem, actually.

I haven't tried the Nier: Automata demo but it has good word of mouth.

Transformers was ok, could have been so much better. They had everything going for it, sounds, look, and controls. It just lacked substance.

Buff Drinklots

Neo Member
Compare 2017 MS lineup to Sonys: Fuck me

Full List of upcoming Xbox One exclusive† games with both a developer and publisher listed:

• Natsuki Chronicle (2017)
  • Candleman (Q1 2017)
  • Mystereet F: The Detectives’ Curtain Call (TBA)
  • Students of the Round 2 (TBA)

Likewise, here is the PS4 list by the same definition:
  • Gravity Rush 2 (20-Jan-17)
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue (24-Jan-17)
  • Nioh (7-Feb-17)
  • Horizon Zero Dawn (28-Feb-17)
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix (28-Mar-17)
  • MLB The Show 17 (28-Mar-17)
  • Yakuza 6: The Song of Life (Q2 2017)
  • DJMax Respect (Jul-17)
  • Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (2017)
  • Dreams (2017)
  • Gran Turismo Sport (2017)
  • Hot Shots Golf (2017)
  • Nex Machina: Death Machine (2017)
  • Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom (2017)
  • Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (2017)
  • Vane (2017)
  • Wattam (2017)
  • Wipeout Omega Collection (2017)
  • Ace Combat 7 (TBA)
  • Dangun Feveron (TBA)
  • Days Gone (TBA)
  • Detroit: Become Human (TBA)
  • Earth Defense Force 5 (TBA)
  • God of War (TBA)
  • Godling (TBA)
  • Gundam Versus (TBA)
  • Knack 2 (TBA)
  • The Last of Us Part II (TBA)
  • MatterFall (TBA)
  • Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin (TBA)
  • Ready to Run (TBA)
  • Spider-Man (TBA)
  • Trails of Cold Steel III (TBA)
  • Vector (TBA)
  • VizionEck (TBA)
  • WiLD (TBA)
  • The Witch and the Hundred Knight 2 (TBA)
  • Without Memory (TBA)

---
†: Exclusive defined here as a game that is on the xbox one and no other platform, including PC

prwxv3

I like how patterns for MS mean something but with Platinum it's all the publishers fault. Everything they've released since Bayonetta 2 has been poor to average at best when they used to make consistently amazing titles that felt really unique.

Also, say what you will about MS pulling funding, but it doesn't change the fact that most of the big risks they've made over the last couple of generations (particularly with Japanese studios) have all flopped in some regard. It's not too surprising they're sticking to safer strategies even if it means that the game division's just going to suffer a slightly slower death.

They are not without fault.

Papacheeks

Banned
Lol. It must be nice to be so bright eyed.

Santa Monica had to restructure an entire studio because they had to shit can a huge Destiny like project only a few years ago.

Yea but the difference is that game wasn't even known to the public, announced and failed multiple showings to my knowledge to higher ups. As in it didn't even pass verticle slice(something among those lines). Scalebound was announced, shown and played in couple events. Promoted with the rest of xbox's lineup as well.

Look at the studio Sony';s closed yes, Studios like liverpool, and evolution are sad to see, but when you only make games like Wipeout, F1; Motorstorm series(and spend tons on a simulator racing game in a crowded market) that can happen.

But SOny actually let wipeout HD, and it's sequel which I believe was on the vita, come to market. Same with Driveclub. They supported that game for well over a year, then Sony pulled the plug. But they had multiple games released.

Scalebound was in production, so was fable legends and to my knowledge phantom dust.

Because the void will always be filled by someone. And maybe that group would do more than push Halo and Forza clones. Possibly Amazon or Google would be my guess.
We've seen Amazon and Google's game output. They're not in the same league as Microsoft.

Drencrom

Wouldn't be surprised after the Phantom Dust debacle and how they managed Lionhead's closure.

Daouzin

Full List of upcoming Xbox One exclusive† games with both a developer and publisher listed:

• Natsuki Chronicle (2017)
  • Candleman (Q1 2017)
  • Mystereet F: The Detectives’ Curtain Call (TBA)
  • Students of the Round 2 (TBA)

Likewise, here is the PS4 list by the same definition:
  • Gravity Rush 2 (20-Jan-17)
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue (24-Jan-17)
  • Nioh (7-Feb-17)
  • Horizon Zero Dawn (28-Feb-17)
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix (28-Mar-17)
  • MLB The Show 17 (28-Mar-17)
  • Yakuza 6: The Song of Life (Q2 2017)
  • DJMax Respect (Jul-17)
  • Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (2017)
  • Dreams (2017)
  • Gran Turismo Sport (2017)
  • Hot Shots Golf (2017)
  • Nex Machina: Death Machine (2017)
  • Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom (2017)
  • Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (2017)
  • Vane (2017)
  • Wattam (2017)
  • Wipeout Omega Collection (2017)
  • Ace Combat 7 (TBA)
  • Dangun Feveron (TBA)
  • Days Gone (TBA)
  • Detroit: Become Human (TBA)
  • Earth Defense Force 5 (TBA)
  • God of War (TBA)
  • Godling (TBA)
  • Gundam Versus (TBA)
  • Knack 2 (TBA)
  • The Last of Us Part II (TBA)
  • MatterFall (TBA)
  • Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin (TBA)
  • Ready to Run (TBA)
  • Spider-Man (TBA)
  • Trails of Cold Steel III (TBA)
  • Vector (TBA)
  • VizionEck (TBA)
  • WiLD (TBA)
  • The Witch and the Hundred Knight 2 (TBA)
  • Without Memory (TBA)

---
†: Exclusive defined here as a game that is on the xbox one and no other platform, including PC

Wow, I knew Sony was killing it, but it's not even a contest. I feel like there has to be something not right here, haha.

Steveo

Banned
Look, once upon a time I thought MS was a breath of fresh air for gaming. I grew up a Nintendo fan, but they lost their way, and Sony filled the gap with the Playstation. PSX and PS2 were amazing machines, but the PS3 started a s a major joke and screwup. Enter MS with not only the Original Xbox as an alternative to the PS2, but the 360 which was INCREDIBLE in the early days

But then, MS corporate became more involved in the games division. After the first few years of 360, more and more rehash on the box, and less variety. PS3 came roaring back with a diverse lineup, and the initial release of the XB1 was a complete failure. Nothing had changed from the late years of the 360... and the PS4 simply obliterated it. Now, in year four the PS4 is REALLY hitting its stride, and the XB1 is treading water with a great weight strapped to it and dragging it down.

Japanese publishers don't even bother with the XB1 anymore, which is sad given how EASY it is to port between these machines. But they just don't. I feel sorry for those who bought an XB1 on the promise of a "better" lineup, because from what I can tell unless you like more Halo, Forza, or their "clones", you are SOL

Basically, at this point there is zero chance I would buy the Scorpio. Don't care how pretty the games are. Hopefully, Nintendo makes enough of a comeback that MS will be forced to go back to a more innovative approach, or quit gaming all together.

My guess is that the next big bomb will be Square pulling all future support for the box as well. They already have pulled everything that isn't the latest FF, or possibly KH. No chance at anything like DQ, or anything more niche.

As I read this I couldn't help but notice the anime avatar.

To be fair. Outside of Nintendo, and a few rare exceptions. Japanese games no longer matter when it comes to sales. Will that change in the future? Maybe, but considering Japan's focus on mobile gaming, i'm going to take a guess and say Japan relevancy as a console developer is over.

Anung

Un Rama

Someone get Lucasfilm and EA on the phone so we can get the Mace Windu game we deserve.

nevDqr0.gif
LplIMlp.gif
nsn29ul.gif
evaztMq.gif

Dude I did not know I wanted a Geddy-style Star Wars platinum game but I do now.

Ennosuke

I am shocked. It did not look too bad and to be honest this was the xbox one game I wanted the most this year.
I don't know what is wrong with microsoft and first party games, but it is getting worse and worse.

Anticol

Banned

What's his twitter?
And if this is true, well a really shitty move by Spencer and co.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom