• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound delayed to 2017

prwxv3

As long as they don't release an exclusive the same exact day, they are good :)

Sadly I feel like the Last Guardian is destined to be vapor ware. I really hope not. Why Sony doesn't assign additional resources to get this finished is beyond me.

You do understand why TLG has been missing in action so long right? It's not because they are having trouble designing the game. The problem was that they could not get the game to run on PS3 with a reasonable frame rate. So they had to wait for ps4 and porting the game to ps4 was likely a pain I the ass so it took a while. Now that that is out of the way development should go smoothly.

DonteTude.gif

This dude looks a bit cooler than the Devil's Third man.

That's fine. I mean, the reveal didn't look very good, and its suppose to be a huge game. If Gears 4 is still coming, there's your big holiday exclusive, like Halo 5 last year.

Yeah, it'll eventually be good

New002

If it needs the extra time I'm glad they're getting it, but I'd be lying if I were to say I'm not bummed about the delay :(

Jagernaut

Poor Aaron, guy has made some mistakes in the past, says they have a full line-up this year (given he knows whats unannounced too and we don't) and its all "PR" and mockery.

Its like some of you guys want a vine of him tossing their games in a dumpster or something

He is a corporate executive that acts like a fanboy. Less professional than the average neogaf poster.

Banned
This game must have had no chance to make 2016 if they're pushing it to 2017 in January.
Well seeing as how we got a cgi trailer at E3 2014 I bet Spencer begged kamiya to show anything about the game despite probably only being a prototype at that point. Desperation, etc etc.

farisr

While I was looking forward to playing the game this year, I was a little worried after that gamescom demo last year. Even though I knew they still had more than a year (if they were to launch in 2016) to develop the game, it felt like it was a big game that needs more time to be done right. So this is good news to me actually.

EGM1966

Not shocked. Does this mean we need an Xbox version of Soony though?

Given if I do get an XB1 it'll probably be late in its life to get it cheap and binge on exclusives I've missed I'd be lying if I wouldn't rather they made a better game and push release back to when XB1 will be even cheaper.

Outrun

He is a corporate executive that acts like a fanboy. Less professional than the average neogaf poster.

Mate, we live in an age where execs are making videos showing how their system handles game swapping amongst friends, basically piss-taking the competition...

...Aaron getting the heat that he gets in 2016 is pathetic at this point, in my humble opinion...

But you are right, more professionalism is needed all-round.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Fine by me. My main 2016 gaming goal is to get the backlog eliminated. Which is doable as mine's only in the 20s or 30s, and get to the point of just buying and playing no more than 1 single player and 1 multiplayer game at a time.

This was one of my 2016 must plays, so the delay frees up more backlog time. :D

Raven77

And so it begins...

I expect Crackdown 3, Zelda, and possibly a good handful of other "2016 games" to get delayed as well.

Great way to street the year. By delaying a video game that was supposed to come out this year.

Ergo another 365 turns around the fucking sun

Bluenoser

You do understand why TLG has been missing in action so long right? It's not because they are having trouble designing the game. The problem was that they could not get the game to run on PS3 with a reasonable frame rate. So they had to wait for ps4 and porting the game to ps4 was likely a pain I the ass so it took a while. Now that that is out of the way development should go smoothly.

I just don't feel like this game is talked about at all. FF7-R came out of nowhere at this year's E3 and we've had a ton of news on it since. TLG was re-introduced as alive and well at E3 and we haven't heard shit since. Feels like they are not prioritizing it at all. Hope I'm wrong.

Bluenoser

Mate, we live in an age where execs are making videos showing how their system handles game swapping amongst friends, basically piss-taking the competition...

...Aaron getting the heat that he gets in 2016 is pathetic at this point, in my humble opinion...

But you are right, more professionalism is needed all-round.

You are referring to Yoshida and Boyes? Seems like they were doing that as a direct dig at MS during a heavily watched event. Has anything like that happened since? Because Greenberg is on twitter non-stop acting like a fanboy (doesn't Spencer think fanboys are ridiculous?)

Chris1

Unfortunately MS will probably pick a third-party title as their mass pack-in or it'll be Halo 5 or something lower priced like Gears UE last holiday
Yeah it all depended on whether MS would mass bundle Scalebound or not and you're right it didn't look likely judging by all their bundles so far... but Scalebound is a bit different to most other games in the sense that it absolutely needs to be bundled no matter when it's released, unlike TR and SO which would have benefited a lot from a better release window... I'd like to think MS are aware of Platinum's recent game sales and wouldn't have sent a game they think has potential to be GOTG out to die.. Then again current gen MS makes no sense when it comes to first party games release decisions.

That's just the way I see it.. If they wanted to give Scalebound a chance at becoming an actual franchise then they'd have to mass bundle it during the holiday. Now it just has Sunset Overdrive written all over it imo, great game that sold poorly and won't see a sequel because of that.

prwxv3

I just don't feel like this game is talked about at all. FF7-R came out of nowhere at this year's E3 and we've had a ton of news on it since. TLG was re-introduced as alive and well at E3 and we haven't heard shit since. Feels like they are not prioritizing it at all. Hope I'm wrong.

They don't want to spoil the experience. What do you talk about that will not give anything away. They had the interactive trico exhibit at psx.

Bluenoser

They don't want to spoil the experience. What do you talk about that will not give anything away. They had the interactive trico exhibit at psx.

....maybe. We'll wait and see I guess. It's still a very good candidate to be pushed out of 2016.

Uncharted 4, Gravity Rush 2, Horizon, Ratchet and Clank, Ni No Kuni 2, Ace Combat 7, Nier 2, SF V, GT sport, Detroit. Persona 5, dreams, The last Guardian, Ni-Oh. Even if 4-5 were delayed Sony would still have better line-up than MS.

List wars commence. You do realize that the lineups that matter to people will differ right?

Some people are more interested in the types of games coming out on the XBO and others are more interested in games coming out on the PS4. I have minimal interest in Gravity Rush 2, Ratchet and Clank, Ni No Kuni 2, Ace Combat 7, Nier 2, SF V, Detroit. Persona 5, dreams, The last Guardian and Ni-Oh. Many of those games cater to those gamers that love Japan-centric games. I'm not that interested in those types of games, so I may like the XBO lineup better. This works both ways.

There is no definitive list on who has the better game lineup for any given year as interest is determined on an individual basis and people are biased to certain types of games.

On a side note, I'm surprised to see the backlash on games being announced early. They have shown actual gameplay from this game and it has been under active development. Last E3, Sony announced that development was going to start on Shenmue 3. It wasn't an announcement that the game was nearly done, just that it was going to be made. Now that is an early announcement.

AkuAnkka

Neo Member
Well that's a good thing, considering how the game doesn't get me excited as it should as a Kamiya game. Come back stronger at E3 with a better demo !

Apart from that, 2016 is not looking so good for Xbox One exclusives-wise. The worst thing is that their biggest game (Gears 4) is the one I'm the more interested in yet the most concerned about. :/

prwxv3

List wars commence. You do realize that the lineups that matter to people will differ right?

Some people are more interested in the types of games coming out on the XBO and others are more interested in games coming out on the PS4. I have minimal interest in Gravity Rush 2, Ratchet and Clank, Ni No Kuni 2, Ace Combat 7, Nier 2, SF V, Detroit. Persona 5, dreams, The last Guardian and Ni-Oh. Many of those games cater to those gamers that love Japan-centric games. I'm not that interested in those types of games, so I may like the XBO lineup better. This works both ways.

There is no definitive list on who has the better game lineup for any given year as interest is determined on an individual basis and people are biased to certain types of games.

On a side note, I'm surprised to see the backlash on games being announced early. They have shown actual gameplay from this game and it has been under active development. Last E3, Sony announced that development was going to start on Shenmue 3. It wasn't an announcement that the game was nearly done, just that it was going to be made. Now that is an early announcement.

That is a kickstarter game bro. You know they needed to announce the kickstarter to get funding for it.

RK128

While that is a shame, Platinum is spread a bit thin this year (Star Fox Zero, Neir 2, TMNT), so them pushing back one of their projects was likely.

Hope the delay helps Scalebound become a stronger product and that people are happy with the end game when it launches :). My bet it was pushed back due to technical issues, as the frame rate for gameplay that was shown off was quite bad.

Regarding other delays, I could see the following get pushed back:
-Horizon Zero Dawn: Spring 2017
-Amy Hemings Star Was Project: Fall 2017
-God of War IV: Pushed to Fall 2017
-Ubisoft Projects: One or two of them will get pushed into 2017
-Crash: Maybe pushed back to a Early 2017 Release (Jan/Feb) if they need more time
-3D Mario: Might not make NX launch and release Spring 2017

Edit: For people upset with this news, it isn't like there are not other Platinum Games Projects coming out this year; TMNT will come on all platforms, Star Fox Zero will be a early release this year and Neir 2 will likely land on PS4 worldwide this fall.

Yeah it all depended on whether MS would mass bundle Scalebound or not and you're right it didn't look likely judging by all their bundles so far... but Scalebound is a bit different to most other games in the sense that it absolutely needs to be bundled no matter when it's released, unlike TR and SO which would have benefited a lot from a better release window... I'd like to think MS are aware of Platinum's recent game sales and wouldn't have sent a game they think has potential to be GOTG out to die.. Then again current gen MS makes no sense when it comes to first party games release decisions.

That's just the way I see it.. If they wanted to give Scalebound a chance at becoming an actual franchise then they'd have to mass bundle it during the holiday. Now it just has Sunset Overdrive written all over it imo, great game that sold poorly and won't see a sequel because of that.

I think Scalebound's concept has more mass appeal than a game like Sunset Overdrive. I would bet that if the game reviews well, it will sell well too. As much as I loved Sunset Overdrive, the concept was different, the controls were hard to understand, and it was released in a time where the Xbox as a brand was struggling. The control scheme specifically would make it hard for any game to receive positive previews after a 20 or 30 minute session.

Scalebound will benefit from better branding on the Xbox as a whole and a control scheme that will likely allow for people to pick it up and play it easily, thus leading to more positive previews.

How is Nintendo just as bad? They've gotten much better about announcing closer to release....

(Zelda for Wii U and XCX/FE are rare exceptions.)

The point is that this isn't a problem inherent with just Microsoft, other devs do it all of the time. Better to delay the game than rush it into a hot mess. And Zelda has taken forever to be released.

While that is a shame, Platinum is spread a bit thin this year (Star Fox Zero, Neir 2, TMNT), so them pushing back one of their projects was likely.

Hope the delay helps Scalebound become a stronger product and that people are happy with the end game when it launches :). My bet it was pushed back due to technical issues, as the frame rate for gameplay that was shown off was quite bad.

Regarding other delays, I could see the following get pushed back:
-Horizon Zero Dawn: Spring 2017
-Amy Hemings Star Was Project: Fall 2017
-God of War IV: Pushed to Fall 2017
-Ubisoft Projects: One or two of them will get pushed into 2017
-Crash: Maybe pushed back to a Early 2017 Release (Jan/Feb) if they need more time
-3D Mario: Might not make NX launch and release Spring 2017

Edit: For people upset with this news, it isn't like there are not other Platinum Games Projects coming out this year; TMNT will come on all platforms, Star Fox Zero will be a early release this year and Neir 2 will likely land on PS4 worldwide this fall.

God of War IV hasn't even been announced yet. How can it be delayed? lol

RK128

God of War IV hasn't even been announced yet. How can it be delayed? lol

You never know; they could announce it at E3 for Early 2017, then at PSX, they announce its a Fall 2017 title alongside Sony Bends game.

Its always best to assume Sony games are going to be delayed.

Pizza

Bummer, but I'm not really worried at all. P* delivers on stuff that they really want to make, so I've got faith it'll be good.

And now that's +1 Xbox game I'm excited for in 2017! Bringing the grand total to 1.

Top Bottom