• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound delayed to 2017

Dereck

DonteTude.gif
This guy looks rad as fuck.

Chris1

I think Scalebound's concept has more mass appeal than a game like Sunset Overdrive. I would bet that if the game reviews well, it will sell well too. As much as I loved Sunset Overdrive, the concept was different, the controls were hard to understand, and it was released in a time where the Xbox as a brand was struggling. The control scheme specifically would make it hard for any game to receive positive previews after a 20 or 30 minute session.

Scalebound will benefit from better branding on the Xbox as a whole and a control scheme that will likely allow for people to pick it up and play it easily, thus leading to more positive previews.
I agree it has more mass appeal than SO, but it's still a platinum game and no matter how good their games are, they just don't sell usually.

I hope you're right in that it sells well, but I still feel like due to platinum's history there should be a safety net, without it, it's a pretty big risk that may not pay off. That's why I think releasing it in the holiday with a mass bundle would have been best because at least then it's guaranteed a lot of "sales" on top of however much it'd sell normally and it might even increase sales from what it would have been if it wasn't bundled.

What's done is done now though so I suppose all we can do is wait until next year to see how well it does.

I agree it has more mass appeal than SO, but it's still a platinum game and no matter how good their games are, they just don't sell usually.

I hope you're right in that it sells well, but I still feel like due to platinum's history there should be a safety net, without it, it's a pretty big risk that may not pay off. That's why I think releasing it in the holiday with a mass bundle would have been best because at least then it's guaranteed a lot of "sales" on top of however much it'd sell normally.

A lot of developers have disappointing sales, until they don't. I think that most successful games have a combination of factors that help sell the product. History of the developer really only helps or hurts the quality of the product, which obviously affects the sales of the game. I don't think you can say that all Platinum games will sell poorly because their games have traditionally not sold well in the past.

KORNdoggy

Good news imo. the framerate was terrible and stylistically i think it needs a bit of a re-think. It's a very confused looking game and one of the worst looking mish mashes of styles i've seen in a long time. Hopefully more time makes it more coherent visually.

Cuyejo

2016 shall be known as the year the real list wars started.

Also, game looked rough as hell when they showed it, this was expected.

I hope they use the time to reinvent the main character. He has Dudebro written all over him, don't like his design one bit.

Man, I keep hearing this but I just don't see it--not disliking the design, but specifically using the term "dudebro".

Drew's a scrawny teenage shonen punk. He's not far off from Dante.

I hope they use the time to reinvent the main character. He has Dudebro written all over him, don't like his design one bit.

Don't think so. He looks more... alternative I guess? Like he'd be in a Metalcore band or something. Or like a Donte knock-off.

Anyway, really not a fan of his design, especially his face. It looks really off.

I don't think you know what "Dudebro" means. Nathan Drake looks more dudebro and I wouldn't call him that either.

The term which first came into my mind when I saw that guy in motion is most likely a ban-worthy offense, so I went with something less offensive (I guess).

Strootman

I hate companies that announce games two or three years before the actual release. I find frustrating that I have to wait so long for the game to come out

just announce your fucking game when it's ready to ship

Was obvious this game was pretty early in development judging from the debut footage last year. Better to announce a delay now than closer to the original release date. Good on them.

Arzehn

Disappointing news.

MS showed a CG trailer too early, just like Phantom Dust to try and win an E3 and get gamers back on their side. Crackdown looks 2017 as well.

Disappointing news.

MS showed a CG trailer too early, just like Phantom Dust to try and win an E3 and get gamers back on their side. Crackdown looks 2017 as well.

That is exactly what Sony did too. I doubt you will be playing FFVII Remake, or Shenmue this year.

Disappointing news.

And just when do you think gamers will be able to play FF7 Remake, Shenmue 3, and The Last Guardian?

Here's a hint: Not 2016.

K.Sabot

Wowza that means I won't pick up an xbone for at least another year...

man, if Crimson Dragon wasn't a pile of garbage, I would have had one day 1.

Zeta Oni

So does anybody in here think a thread containing all the currently known information about Scalebound would be a solid idea?

I consistently see some misinformation and a lot of FAQ's about SB that mainly resulted from the month long of coverage by IGN not keeping everyone's attention throughout August, and now seems like a good time now that I can finally make a thread in the first place.

And just when do you think gamers will be able to play FF7 Remake, Shenmue 3, and The Last Guardian?

Really though, it feels like this gen has been defined by games being announced early. Ultimately those three examples are let off the hook by most people due to the nature of what they are but yeah, those are definitely some guilty cases as well.

Even companies like Atlus who normally have a good track record of quick turnaround times have stuff like the whole Persona 5 situation, plus that whole January Nintendo Direct where Woolly World, XenoX, and Genei Ibunroku were all announced weeelll before their release dates.

I mean let me put it this way. Majora's Mask 3D, Hyrule Warriors, Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8 and Code Name Steam were all announced and released before any of those other three Nintendo games were out, with Fire Emblem Fates only failing to beat Xenoblade during the same period. Holy crap.

I hate companies that announce games two or three years before the actual release. I find frustrating that I have to wait so long for the game to come out

just announce your fucking game when it's ready to ship
...if they didn't announce it until the game was practically ready to launch then all the time in between there'd probably be numerous leaks that they couldn't be able to hide

maxcriden

The point is that this isn't a problem inherent with just Microsoft, other devs do it all of the time. Better to delay the game than rush it into a hot mess. And Zelda has taken forever to be released.

Right, I agree. My point is that Nintendo isn't generally guilty of this, though, if we're talking about excessive delays and announcing too early; they have gotten a lot better about it the past few years. Nintendo frequently announces and releases major games in a 3-9 month window. I'd like Microsoft and Sony to follow suit. That's all I was trying to say, sorry if I was unclear.

Jigorath

Banned
Bummer, but as long as they're making something special I don't mind the wait. Action RPG with dragons is so enticing.

Those first two weren't even announced for 2016.

Your SonyToo!™ arguments are always terrible.

Top Bottom