• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound delayed to 2017

Where's the good news? PR 101 is that if you need to announce bad news then you have good news to counter act it - hint hint, Gears 4 beta window announcement. Step it up MS.

As fo this info, it's really disappointing news. It was in my top 3 most anticipated releases this year.

I hope that Microsoft have one or two surprises up their sleeves for 2016 cause although they still have a stellar line up (as long as nothing else gets delayed!), Scalebound does leave a bit of a hole.

I'm fine with this. I was a bit weary of the original Holiday release window anyway. A release in the first half next year would give it the time to shine it deserves. Wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft were shook by Tomb Raider's situation and that helped make the decision easier.

(Also hopefully I'll be able to afford an XB1 by them. Would've been busy spending money on other stuff for the holidays...)

Where's the good news? PR 101 is that if you need to announce bad news then you have good news to counter act it - hint hint, Gears 4 beta window announcement. Step it up MS.

I like that they're being completely upfront, honest, and no-frills about it. This is the new release timing, they're giving it to us straight, no BS. Most delays recently have been announced that way actually.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
How cheap will an Xbone be by the time I'm forced to pick one up!

Good for Scalebound--it could've run into another RoTR situation and gotten lost in the shuffle if it came out this holiday season.

Yep. Hopefully this means MS want to give it a real chance at being a new first-party franchise.

Which 2016 Xbox Exclusive will be delayed next:

Halo Wars 2.
Crackdown 3.
Sea of Thieves.
Recore.
Gears of War 4.

As fo this info, it's really disappointing news. It was in my top 3 most anticipated releases this year.

I hope that Microsoft have one or two surprises up their sleeves for 2016 cause although they still have a stellar line up (as long as nothing else gets delayed!), Scalebound does leave a bit of a whole.

The day/week/month/year is young… have patience!

labx

Banned
FFXV is already done, basically. They are just polishing and making some minor additions/adjustments to the game anymore. That can take a long while with a massive RPG like FFXV, but it's not going to take 12+ more months considering they've already said they have polished 50% of the game to completion.

Your avatar is so awesome... But I still going to insist FXV delay. AND NIER. to much AAA in the horizon.

Rembrandt

Banned
Uncharted 4, Gravity Rush 2, Horizon, Ratchet and Clank, Ni No Kuni 2, Ace Combat 7, Nier 2, SF V, GT sport, Detroit. Persona 5, dreams, The last Guardian, Ni-Oh. Even if 4-5 were delayed Sony would still have better line-up than MS.

excluding UC4, Detroit (which definitely won't make it this year) and Horizon, nah.

Warxard

Banned
Uncharted 4, Gravity Rush 2, Horizon, Ratchet and Clank, Ni No Kuni 2, Ace Combat 7, Nier 2, SF V, GT sport, Detroit. Persona 5, dreams, The last Guardian, Ni-Oh. Even if 4-5 were delayed Sony would still have better line-up than MS.

list war B O Y S

Microsoft deliberately & desperately announced a lot of games at E3 2014 that were super early into development (if even in actual development) and were likely to see delays in production. Now we have Phantom Dust that is probably dead & buried, Scalebound that has already been delayed to the next year this early in 2016, Quantum Break that people are still waiting for, Crackdown which we've hardly seen anything for etc. They were desperate to give people some reason to buy an Xbone, yet almost none of those will have been released within two years of their announcement and I wouldn't be surprised of more delays.

Yeah, this is pretty much what happened. MS were desperate to garner some goodwill after the wet fart of a launch, so showed their hand far too early. As a consumer I strongly dislike this, and don't care for 2+ year hype cycles for games. If it's too early to show proper gameplay then it's too early to announce your game!

For the record, Sony do this too, but generally with smaller games like Shadow of the Beast, Edith Finch, Tomorrow Children, Rime, etc. I don't like it when they do it either.

Let the delays begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Calling it right now:

Horizon
FFXV
Mass Effect
Paragon?

Mass Effect Andromeda isn't due out this year anyway. It was given a window of FY 2016-2017, but there's no way at all it will be out before Q4. Wouldn't be surprised if it's delayed until April 2017 or beyond.

ReCore, Quantum Break, Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3, Gears 4

If anyone thinks to see one of these this year is delusional (Well maybe QB will make it)

MS clearly showed their cards way too early
Even with Remedy's history of taking a long time, Quantum Break is definitely coming out this year. It's got an April release date, and at the very most you might see it slip a month or two like Uncharted 4.

I think Gears 4 is also very solid for a 2016 release. Barring years when they've launched new hardware, Microsoft has almost always had one of their big brands (Halo or Gears) there for the holidays.

I agree with you on the other three, though. I'd be very surprised to see any of them in 2016.

le.phat

concidering the initial reveal, probably for the best.
Hopefully this also means that Platinum can keep the quality high on their planned 2016 releases.

Somnia

I'm 100% ok with this, it would get lost in the Fall season. Now launch this in March/April like Quantum Break and it will have a much better chance.

edit: Oh god List Wars have already started, this thread is going to head straight down the shitter already lol

Hasney

Well then, looks like my XB1 purchase is likely delayed as well.

But seriously, hope they take all the time they need.

DNAbro

Yeah, this is pretty much what happened. MS were desperate to garner some goodwill after the wet fart of a launch, so showed their hand far too early. As a consumer I strongly dislike this, and don't care for 2+ year hype cycles for games. If it's too early to show proper gameplay then it's too early to announce your game!

For the record, Sony do this too, but generally with smaller games like Shadow of the Beast, Edith Finch, Tomorrow Children, Rime, etc. I don't like it when they do it either.

Mass Effect Andromeda isn't due out this year anyway. It was given a window of FY 2016-2017, but there's no way at all it will be out before Q4. Wouldn't be surprised if it's delayed until April 2017 or beyond.

I swear Mass Effect was given a 2016 release date.

Famassu

Look around, "desperate" microsoft aren't the only ones who announced games that got delayed.

Sure they announced a few games with some cgi trailers, it happens as do delays but they aren't the only ones that have/do do it.

Good guy ms gives teams the time they need to get the game done righf
I actually don't mind early announcements. Hell, I've been waiting for what has morphed into FFXV for 10 years. Announcing Scalebound actually gave me reason to buy Xbone (together with my big brother) when it was on sale for 250€ and get to play Sunset Overdrive & Killer Instinct earlier than I would have otherwise.

What I do have problems with is Microsoft's clearly unrealistic promises of all of these 2015-2016 games. Announce games early if you want to, but keep your mouth shut about a release date before the game is actually 2-3 years into development and maybe somewhat close-ish to release.

Can the games industry be more like Apple and not even reveal anything until you're at least 2 -3 months from launching.

These extended periods seem foolish, No Mans Sky has been cherry picked for ages.. Still no man release date.

Yep. Hopefully this means MS want to give it a real chance at being a new first-party franchise.

Halo Wars 2.
Crackdown 3.
Sea of Thieves.
Recore.
Gears of War 4.

Well Crackdown 3 only has a Multiplayer Beta planned for this Summer, so far. There is no real confirmation the full game is coming this year. So far, just the beta is supposed to come this year. I dont think the full Crackdown title will be released this year.

21cd7e7b6bc1893c23a2e2faad0e9239.jpg

The day/week/month/year is young… have patience!

Haha, I'm not crying into my cornflakes or anything like that but apart from the obvious Forza Horizon 3 (please please let them do PGForzaR) all the other studios are accounted for, unless they money hat something or have hada game cooking with a 2nd part developer for a while that we don't know about?

Interesting few months ahead for MS and Xbox owners, just no more delays :)

I actually don't mind early announcements. Hell, I've been waiting for what has morphed into FFXV for 10 years. Announcing Scalebound actually gave me reason to buy Xbone (together with my big brother) when it was on sale for 250€ and get to play Sunset Overdrive & Killer Instinct earlier than I would have otherwise.

What I do have problems with is Microsoft's clearly unrealistic promises of all of these 2015-2016 games. Announce games early if you want to, but keep your mouth shut about a release date before the game is actually 2-3 years into development and maybe somewhat close-ish to release.

Scalebound and crackdown weren't given release Windows until gamescom. Quantum Break had a bit of a tough time and remedy are slow, some others had small delays… I'm not sure what else has had a "clearly unrealistic" release date announced?

Games get shifted all the time because they need more time, it's a chronic problem in the games industry, miyamoto had a pretty good quote about it somewhere

Don't do this.

And besides, Dreams, NNK2 and Detroit aren't coming out this year.

Not surprised at all. MS has Halo Wars 2, Gears 4, and probably Forza Horizon 3 this holiday. Scalebound in early or mid 2017 makes sense.

Sydle

Halo Wars 2.
Crackdown 3.
Sea of Thieves.
Recore.
Gears of War 4.

Sea of Thieves wasn't given a release date. In fact, MS went so far as to correct a publication that was claiming a 2016 release date, saying they didn't provide a release date. Why correct them if 2016 was the target release?

I think it's interesting to see the Xbox team let games slip past their target release date. I wonder if the MCC debacle led to this, and/or they're trying to keep good relations with developers they contract to make the best game possible.

ClearData

This one hurts. I really am looking forward to Scalebound. But I'm glad they are not going to compromise on its quality.

Omikaru

Disappointed, but still excited for this game. Scalebound is one of the reasons I grabbed an Xbox One in terms of releases slightly farther away, but honestly, I was expecting to play this later in the year.

But if this helps the game be better, fine. I've got more than enough to play in 2016 (for now).

From a Gamespot article I just read

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/scalebound-release-date-delayed-to-2017/1100-6433478/

The studio has also pledged to show more of the game later this year

"Development on the game is going well and we're really happy with how it's coming together. Scalebound is one of the biggest games Platinum Games has ever created: an epic adventure filled with exploration and fantasy gameplay, inventive multiplayer, and action-packed battles on an unbelievable scale--all set in a beautiful and evolving world. It's the game our team has always dreamed of making."

Take all the time you need folks, I'll be there day one whenever it is :)

Count me among those who're going to get an XB1 as soon as this game releases, so, yeah, I don't mind waiting. Bundle it with an XB1 Slim for Holiday 2017 or whatever.

Top Bottom