• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SD Card and USB C Cord Suggestions for Switch

Kindekuma

Banned
Do y'all recommend a charger block or does it not really matter? I've got a million iPhone wall plugs, but I don't think that delivers enough juice.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I picked up the 200GB on Amazon using the BIGTHANKS code. $65 (after tax) is a great price for that card, I think.

Regarding the card, when I get the Switch, can I just pop out the 32GB one, put in my 200GB one and go? Or is there some formatting/transferring I need to do first?

I also picked up that SD Card.

Do y'all recommend a charger block or does it not really matter? I've got a million iPhone wall plugs, but I don't think that delivers enough juice.

smaller iphone plugs will just tickle the switch, the tablet/ipad plugs will charge it but no idew how fast, the official plug seems to be quite beefy.

Experien

Sorry for another Switch thread. Coming into new, big purchases, I like to do what I can to spread out the spending. Right now the most I can do is look into SD cards (128 or 256) and a good USB-C cord (or two, one super long!) so I'm ready to go 3/3/17

The problem is that there are so many options out there! Plus I hear a lot about USB-C safety and what's good and what's not. Naturally, I look to gaf for some suggestions and I'm sure we'll also start some good discussions about this type of tech.

Finally, if we get enough good, solid recommendations then I'll update this post so people can easily check and see what the community likes.

Thanks everyone :) I honestly don't even know where to begin aside from Google and Amazon.

Edit: Following are some recommendations from this thread

Micro SD

SanDisk Ultra 200GB Micro SD $59.00- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V62XBQQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

PNY Elite-X 32GB microSDHC Card $14.99 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G26R0BM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Samsung 128GB 80MB/s EVO Select Micro SDXC Memory Card $39.99 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DOB6YW4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

USB Type C

Here are some USB-C recommendations from this thread – RustySpoon posted this spreadsheet from a Google engineer who is really invested in investigating USB-C. Every recommendation has passed the “Benson Leung” test.

iOrange-E Braided USB C Charger Cable (6.6ft) $10.99 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010VFFU1W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

iOrange-E Braided USB C Charger Cable (10ft) $13.99 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016ZYUDT2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Anker PowerLine+ USB-C to USB 3.0 cable (6ft) $12.99 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5GMZ6X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Bonus Power Bank: Anker PowerCore 20100 (4.8A) $39.99 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X5RV14Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Edit: here is my official pre-Switch haul.

- iOrange 10ft USB C to A
- 2 Anker wall units (one for iOrange cord another for the USB C to A included with the Pro Controller
- 200GB SanDisk microSDXC card

KRFJIlg.jpg

Curious about all this since I am going on a trip the weekend of the switch. I get to fully take advantage of this new portability and real shaky about what all i need to charge it on the go.

I got my battery order from Amazon today, with all of the following:

All seem to be good quality, the battery pack especially feels solid and isn't as big or heavy as some of the reviews would make you think. I was a bit wary about the wall charger due to the few reviews that mention it exploding, but from the brief time I had to charge the battery with it before work it seems fine. I'll keep it plugged in for longer later to make sure it's good. Could've gone for the Anker charger, but I just prefer how this one looks. and that it's "horizontal" rather than vertical. The 3DS adapter is a neat little thing and seems to work well. Nothing to try out the USB C cable with for now though, will have to wait until I get the Switch itself to use it.

timshundo

I read somewhere that Apple's most recent revision of their USB type-C (2017) cable is actually the most standards compliant and future-proof cable you could buy at the moment but i can't find the really detailed article i read that from...

EDIT: Sorry this was referring to their USB Type-C to Type-C, not a Type-A to Type-C as most of you are probably looking for. I'm sure any cable from amazon would work well. Anker is my trusted brand. :)

Here we go: https://plus.google.com/102612254593917101378/posts/dcLuKzGeeuH?sfc=true

the 5A, eMarked Apple MLL82AM/A USB-C 2.0 charge cable. [Model A1739]
tl;dr: This is the best "charge" cable I've ever seen. And Apple is trying to slip this post-recall refresh under the radar!

This post is going to be long and go on a number of tangents. But let me state up front: this cable can do 5a and is eMarked. It will work great with every USB-C product out there, for charging. It also solves the theoretical "Macbook Pro 2016 charging" problem. I recommend it for the Pixel over even the Google OEM cables. Finally, Apple is trying to slip by this cable update completely unannounced because it highlights earlier missteps they made.

I bought this Powerbank from Anker last year. Will this work with the Switch if i use the USB-A to C cable that comes with the pro controller? I've seen people talk about a minimum of 2.6A so it should be fine.

Darkman M

I have no clue to what all these accessorys are for and I have a switch preordered. Can someone explain which ones I need day one and why.

Plum

So will the USB A-to-C wire included with the Pro controller sufficiently charge the Switch itself or should I buy a seperate cable? That and are there any wall adapters you would recommend? Would this Anker wall plug be fine?

jts

...hate me...
I have no clue to what all these accessorys are for and I have a switch preordered. Can someone explain which ones I need day one and why.

You need an extra charger if you want to have one on the go, and you need a micro SD card if you're going to download a bunch of stuff off the eShop.

That's it really. More than that is just people going a bit overboard due to the flexibility of USB-C.

You don't need any of it day 1.

You need a memory card if you plan to buy things digitally and the number of things you buy are going to exceed the 26GB of available storage. I don't see myself filling that up on day one so I don't need a SD card on day one and can wait for either better deals or bigger storage which will become more clear when we get a better look at what the eShop requirements are going to be moving forward.

You need a USB-C cable and AC adapter if you plan to charge some place else other than the dock or with the AC adapter that comes with it. Say you want to travel, or in a bedroom, or at work. Those would be cases you might want another adapter. Given how most people are making educated guesses based on the info given to them, they're buying adapters that should meet the power requirements. Since I don't need it the very first day, I'm going to wait until more reports of actual tests and usage points to something that works well with the system.

You need a portable battery and USB-C cable if you want to charge on the go or extend the battery life while you're playing portable. See above for the reasons I'm not buying one of those day one.

These are all optional things that you won't really need day one. With how fast Amazon ships, I can wait a day or two after the system is released to pick any of those up and just deal with what comes with the system which really is all you need on day one.

You don't NEED any. People like me want an extra way to charge the Switch away from the dock, since unplugging the AC adapter from the dock and the strip behind my TV stand and moving it around to use portable would be awkward and inconvenient. Getting a battery pack is convenient since you can carry it anywhere to charge the Switch and other USB devices with.

Darkman M

You need an extra charger if you want to have one on the go, and you need a micro SD card if you're going to download a bunch of stuff off the eShop.

That's it really. More than that is just people going a bit overboard due to the flexibility of USB-C.

You don't need any of it day 1.

You need a memory card if you plan to buy things digitally and the number of things you buy are going to exceed the 26GB of available storage. I don't see myself filling that up on day one so I don't need a SD card on day one and can wait for either better deals or bigger storage which will become more clear when we get a better look at what the eShop requirements are going to be moving forward.

You need a USB-C cable and AC adapter if you plan to charge some place else other than the dock or with the AC adapter that comes with it. Say you want to travel, or in a bedroom, or at work. Those would be cases you might want another adapter. Given how most people are making educated guesses based on the info given to them, they're buying adapters that should meet the power requirements. Since I don't need it the very first day, I'm going to wait until more reports of actual tests and usage points to something that works well with the system.

You need a portable battery and USB-C cable if you want to charge on the go or extend the battery life while you're playing portable. See above for the reasons I'm not buying one of those day one.

These are all optional things that you won't really need day one. With how fast Amazon ships, I can wait a day or two after the system is released to pick any of those up and just deal with what comes with the system which really is all you need on day one.

Thanks guys, this is the information I have been seeking.

Darkman M

You don't NEED any. People like me want an extra way to charge the Switch away from the dock, since unplugging the AC adapter from the dock and the strip behind my TV stand and moving it around to use portable would be awkward and inconvenient. Getting a battery pack is convenient since you can carry it anywhere to charge the Switch and other USB devices with.

Got it thanks.

Just got a SanDisk 128gb card from Amazon warehouse deals for 32 buck s, great deal. That will be more than enough for me, since I will be buying more physical games, and only buy digital on eShop exclusives .

They have one left for 33 bucks shipped.

Just got a SanDisk 128gb card from Amazon warehouse deals for 32 buck s, great deal. That will be more than enough for me, since I will be buying more physical games, and only buy digital on eShop exclusives .

They have one left for 33 bucks shipped.

Hopefully this doesn't alarm you but I'd be weary of anything that was opened or tampered with. It's easy enough for someone to swap in a fake card that they picked up to replace with a real one. Too many fake cards are out there these days.

Ouroboros

I picked up the 200GB on Amazon using the BIGTHANKS code. $65 (after tax) is a great price for that card, I think.

Regarding the card, when I get the Switch, can I just pop out the 32GB one, put in my 200GB one and go? Or is there some formatting/transferring I need to do first?

Thanks this was the last thing I needed to get for my Switch set up.

Hopefully this doesn't alarm you but I'd be weary of anything that was opened or tampered with. It's easy enough for someone to swap in a fake card that they picked up to replace with a real one. Too many fake cards are out there these days.

I can check the card with insight as app to make sure it is not fake

Edit:just cancelled , won't ship until March 7th, and I was concerned. Thanks for the advice

Theonik

smaller iphone plugs will just tickle the switch, the tablet/ipad plugs will charge it but no idew how fast, the official plug seems to be quite beefy.
It is not even guaranteed that some smaller chargers will be able to charge the switch at all unless you turn it off completely. I've even had this issue with some more demanding smartphones like my Xperia Z1 that refused to charge from my PC's USB ports unless it was in deep standby. The switch will likely consume a LOT of energy especially during play.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble

Well crap, I went to buy that card and the price has jumped to over 90 dollars.

jax

Banned
Ended up getting the $15 64gb, as by the time it takes me to fill 100gb the 200gb will be way cheaper. With the extra dough I bought a USB C battery pack, and a $50 eshop card.

Got &19 off the whole thing thanks to various coupons too. Stoked on that. Whole thing was like $110 with feb 25 shipping. (I can also use the battery with my MacBook and to charge my 3DS in line for the Switch.)

Did the BIGTHANKS promotion end?

Nah, just used it

Ended up getting the $15 64gb, as by the time it takes me to fill 100gb the 200gb will be way cheaper. With the extra dough I bought a USB C battery pack, and a $50 eshop card.

Got &19 off the whole thing thanks to various coupons too. Stoked on that. Whole thing was like $110 with feb 25 shipping. (I can also use the battery with my MacBook and to charge my 3DS in line for the Switch.)

Nah, just used it

It keeps saying the code I entered cannot be applied to my purchase. Idk why it keeps saying that to me.

It keeps saying the code I entered cannot be applied to my purchase. Idk why it keeps saying that to me.

You need a total of $50 to be sold and shipped by Amazon.com

Items sold by third party don't count even if fulfilled by Amazon. You can filter your search results by Seller to make it easier.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble

So far the code has told me the same thing on every purchase I have tried to make. What gives?

You need a total of $50 to be sold and shipped by Amazon.com

Items sold by third party don't count even if fulfilled by Amazon. You can filter your search results by Seller to make it easier.
I've tried to buy the same things that people are posting about having purchase here. For example, that power bank above, I just tried to buy and got the error.

Why are all of you buying power banks and cables that don't even support the Switch charging spec? (15V, 2.6A ~ 39W)

There's a real risk that all these powerbanks will just make the Switch battery last longer, but not fully recharge it.

Why are all of you buying power banks and cables that don't even support the Switch charging spec? (15V, 2.6A ~ 39W)

There's a real risk that all these powerbanks will just make the Switch battery last longer, but not fully recharge it.

Beats me. I'm buying an extra official AC adapter (one to keep connected to the dock and one for portable mode).

Turrican3

Did I search in this thread, found nothing.
Is there any official word about the compatibility of the Switch with the USB-C to HDMI cables?

ctfg23

Is there any official word about the compatibility of the Switch with the USB-C to HDMI cables?
I'm pretty sure there was something a while ago about it only working with the dock. Can't remember if it was a rumor or confirmed.

jts

...hate me...
Official word I think from Shibata (edit: Koizumi) is that the dock is proprietary so it doesn't bode well, even if the thing is cracked it will need a specific cable or adapter for it.

I wouldn't recommend a simple USB-C to HDMI cable in any case, need an HDMI adapter with power passthrough at least.

Zedark

It's not possible, Koizumi said so:
Nintendo Prime said:
Were you hoping to grab that USB-C to HDMI dongle you have laying around to get the Switch working on any old TV if your Dock isn’t around? Well, that’s simply not possible, at least not out of the box (modding can make anything possible, right?). In a new interview at French publication Melty, Nintendo’s Yoshiaki Koizumi stated that the Nintendo Switch dock uses proprietary technology. What that means is, the ability to convert the Switch unit to TV mode is only possible through tech that has licensed out Nintendo’s proprietary method.
Source: https://www.nintendoprime.net/koizumi-confirms-bluetooth-headset-support-dock-is-proprietary/

(I checked the original interview, and Koizumi does directly state it is not possible to output video via standard USB-C to HDMI cables)

Supposedly, there is no compatabilty with anything other than the dock. However, I find it hard to believe 3rd parties won't come up with solutions.

I'm tempted to jump on this but I'm always super worried about Amazon shipment to Australia

200gb Micro SD cards retail for like $200+ here though so it's probably worth the risk?

edit: nvm the code is no good and it still ends up being $160

You thought the Switch comes with a 32GB sd card? It doesn't. It has 32GB of built-in memory that is not removable.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I'm just getting a second official power adapter, i don't want any surprises
The problem with that, at least to me, is that the official power adapter looks to be really, really chunky, which makes it less than ideal for traveling with.

The problem with that, at least to me, is that the official power adapter looks to be really, really chunky, which makes it less than ideal for traveling with.
It didn't look THAT chunky to me in the Nintendo Minute unboxing video... I mean yeah it's bigger than standard 5V/2A phone chargers, but not more than double the size, and I don't know if much smaller ones exist that have the same power output of the offical Switch one.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Just bought the 200GB sandisk card from Amazon Germany. It should provide me with enough space for the first year or two

Cerbero

power adapters actually suitable for the Switch are pretty big anyway, you don't really wanna use a 5V/2A charger for it, it would take forever to charge it

Pit

Isnt the charger in the OP (powercore 20100) only able to do 2.4A max per port (5V 4.8A total) where as something like the powercore 26800 does 3A per port (6A total). By those specs on Amazon, shouldn't it fail to reach the 2.6A needed for the switch?

Top Bottom