• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seeming surge of hate crimes, assaults, intimidation in wake of Trump victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zok310

Banned
Hillary wouldn't have made a difference but, with Trump, there are people that feel more enabled to do these terrible things now.

And it's what scares me the most.

And what's the argument for Trump voters getting their ass beat for voting Trump?

Faustek

Sorry but that almost sounds made up. Who would say "Its ok, Trump is president now" after calling someone the N word? If anything that sounds like something a mentally impaired person would say because a hardcore racist would barely explain himself afterwards.

Well there was a lot of mentally impaired people in Sweden in the 90s then. They suddenly woke up again 6 years ago.
If you want a more recent update on how people are just look to Brexit.

Dude, I have lived this more than once. It isn't anything new just that people don't give a fuck about who is under the bus as long as it isn't them.

Look, I'm not going to ever suggest that violence against Trump supporters is okay, but it is not the same. One kind of violence is out of fear and desperation, the other is out of arrogance and empowerment. They are both bad, but the solution is not the same at all.

When violence becomes your last stand?
When you are a strand away from, literally, being broken?
I can't say I ever liked anything of it but I'm not going to cry when someone gets fed up and bites back.
But yes preferably everything should be solved without the need of violence and you should in no way gang up on anyone. Lynchings aren't something we should ever revisit.

Man, I knew that a Trump presidency would cause absolutely despicable behavior to get passed onto children, but seeing extremely xenophobic acts less than 24 hours after the election from people under 18 is something else.

Were these sorts of ideas always getting passed onto kids? I think back to the months where I taught 8th graders in Texas and wonder if any of them are committing hate crimes today. It's hard for me to imagine, but maybe that's a huge problem on my end.

My heart goes out to any good-natured primary or secondary school teachers that had to deal with this today.

EDIT (still scrolling through the thread):
NSFW. Anti-trump supporters beating an older man because he supports Trump

https://twitter.com/kmscodi/status/796554667748716545
I froze up after reading these. I was terrified of this sort of thing happening if Trump lost, but condoled myself at the time by thinking it would die out after a couple months since, you know, Trump would have lost.

I don't even know what to think anymore.

Machina

Banned
Man, I knew that a Trump presidency would cause absolutely despicable behavior to get passed onto children, but seeing extremely xenophobic acts less than 24 hours after the election from people under 18 is something else.

Were these sorts of ideas always getting passed onto kids? I think back to the months where I taught 8th graders in Texas and wonder if any of them are committing hate crimes today. It's hard for me to imagine, but maybe that's a huge problem on my end.

My heart goes out to any good-natured primary or secondary school teachers that had to deal with this today.

Yes they have been, and that is the biggest tragedy of this election. The parents set up the bomb, Trump's victory validated it and lit the fuse.

Nothing, but people are looking to boil over about any and everything on both sides. It wouldn't surprise me if a LOT of the stuff posted isn't even recent, but it doesn't matter at this point - people are trying to incite each other from both sides and it's disgusting.

And yet, the last page was largely about THAT group doing the same kind of shit. Hate is hate, it doesn't matter which side it comes from. It's all intolerance at a level that we can't afford but we're charging it to ourselves just the same.
I don't know if you're myopic, dishonest, or both, but I find it staggering that after months of a populist campaigning on violent rhetorics and openly appealing to the ugly id of white supremacy, when that guy wins, you trip over yourself to explain why Internet people should shut up about real world violence as both sides are the same.

FWIW, of course that attack against a Trump supporter is terrible.

ironmang

It absolutely does matter.

Only matters in the sense that a lot of people from both sides are resorting to violently harassing and attacking each other over Trump running and then winning. Doesn't matter what "side" he's on. Too many people aren't totally against it judging by the "buts" that I see when someone starts to condemn it.

SoulUnison

Banned
I have been called a nigger at least once under every president since Bush senior.
Not trying to minimize some of these stories but what's stoping this from happing if Hillary had won.

Imagine a boisterous, aggressive, overly vocal and opinionated person.
Now imagine that person's concept of social boundaries, acceptable behavior and perspective on their words and actions.
Now imagine that person with the conviction and vindication of the campaign Trump ran behind them.

"My views are his views, and more than half the country agrees with him. I don't have to hide my hatred any longer because in any given room I can be confident that someone will have my back."

Dmented

Banned
Man, remember the crazy shit people said when Obama was elected? "The blacks are going to enslave us! White people are going to be lynched in the streets!" etc etc etc. But guess what? Nothing happened. Nothing fucking at all. Instead, we made progress in this country on nearly all levels. Not enough progress of course, but some.

One day after Trump gets elected and it's like we're back in the 1950s (or earlier). We will have to fight for civil rights once again. Will this shit just keep happening?

Maxios

This scares the shit out of me. I live in a very conservative part of California and everytime I go outside I see numerous people wearing MAGA hats and overhear people talking about how Trump's gonna clean up the country. I'm worried about the safety of my father and my Hispanic relatives, as well as the safety of my Native American relatives.

I've worried about the safety of relatives before, but never because of something like this.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Man, remember the crazy shit people said when Obama was elected? "The blacks are going to enslave us! White people are going to be lynched in the streets!" etc etc etc. But guess what? Nothing happened. Nothing fucking at all.

One day after Trump gets elected and it's like we're back in the 1950s (or earlier). We will have to fight for civil rights once again. Will this shit just keep happening?
I don't recall beatings at Obama's rallies. Nor do I remember him getting the support of hate groups who loved drawing symbols anachronistic with death threats against white people.

Dmented

Banned
I don't recall beatings at Obama's rallies. Nor do I remember him getting the support of hate groups who loved drawing symbols anachronistic with death threats against white people.

Yup. But even without all that, white people still had such an irrational fear of what's to come for them under a black presidency.

This is Trump.

This is what his supporters are okay with.

No surprises here.

Not all of them, some of them were only supporting policies like...umm,...give me a minute.

It'll come to me, he just had so many well laid out policies that it's hard for me to remember all of them.

Diablos

A man tried to grab my roommates friends crotch as she was leaving a Trump protest in Portland.
So is this a thing with Trumpers then? Because it's in one of the images posted in the first post too. They grope women who they think are against Trump?

This country is in so much trouble.

JimiNutz

Banned
This.

It's fucking Brexit all over again. Right wing racists celebrating their victory.

Genuinely terrified for the next 4 years.

The images in the OP are disgusting and Trump needs to come out and condone this behaviour

BUT

This shit is expected directly after election night. Tension and excitement still fills the air and the press will report stuff that day to day would usually be ignored or not given much focus.

After Brexit there were stories of racism and racist attacks and they were horrible to read but guess what...

Few months later and Britain is fine. There is still tolerance, still multiculturalism, still plenty of immigrants living and working happily here in complete safety. Britain didn't suddenly change over night into an intolerant racist nation. Crime didn't suddenly surge and stay at high levels. Society didn't break down. Im confident the same will hold true for America.

hmmm...this is terrible... I hope the outside world won't have to invade America in the future to liberate its people from Trump tyranny...

But really, this is nasty...interested to see what kinds of statements Trump makes on this now, since he is in power.

Anyway, if Trump turns up in Scotland again, he ain't going to get a friendly welcome from me, the fat windbag.

Not all of them, some of them were only supporting policies like...umm,...give me a minute.

It'll come to me, he just had so many well laid out policies that it's hard for me to remember all of them.

It's all about crooked Hillary, the warmonger. Not the person who won't shut up about the button.

The images in the OP are disgusting and Trump needs to come out and condone this behaviour

BUT

This shit is expected directly after election night. Tension and excitement still fills the air and the press will report stuff that day to day would usually be ignored or not given much focus.

After Brexit there were stories of racism and racist attacks and they were horrible to read but guess what...

Few months later and Britain is fine. There is still tolerance, still multiculturalism, still plenty of immigrants living and working happily here in complete safety. Britain didn't suddenly change over night into an intolerant racist nation. Crime didn't suddenly surge and stay at high levels. Society didn't break down. Im confident the same will hold true for America.

You're seriously arguing that because the Brexit attacks from the right wing aren't front and centre in the media/news that it's not happening any more?

Jesus Christ. A cursory look at social media shows there are still issues with racism that revolve around the Brexit vote and there always will be because it's always going to be in the news, don't be fucking disingenuous with your pathetic hand-waving bullshit.

Shameful.

BUT

No, we've just got emboldened right wing fuckheads who think sending a mob down to the courts to bend them to their will is a-okay.

You're seriously arguing that because the Brexit attacks from the right wing aren't front and centre in the media/news that it's not happening any more?

Jesus Christ. A cursory look at social media shows there are still issues with racism that revolve around the Brexit vote and there always will be because it's always going to be in the news, don't be fucking disingenuous with your pathetic hand-waving bullshit.

Shameful.

Out of sight, out of mind. That's the White man's peace of mind.

And what's the argument for Trump voters getting their ass beat for voting Trump?

Oh! I think I understand what you're trying to say now. I think you were trying to say what's going to stop Trump supporters from doing the same if Hilary won instead of Trump. Like, if the roles reversed. Ok, if that's the case, then, yeah, everything that's going on now would probably still happen (if the roles reversed).

But I don't think as many Trump supporters would be brave enough to do so because "our new leader" isn't "one of us."

If I'm misinterpreting, then just ignore me lol.

LiamR

It's fucking shameful that so many are pretending like this isn't going on regularly and is a growing problem in the West.

Joe

BUT

As of September, hate crimes against Muslims alone are up 78% year-over-year. Trump being elected will only worsen this.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/09/18/us/politics/hate-crimes-american-muslims-rise.html?referer=
“We’re seeing these stereotypes and derogative statements become part of the political discourse,” said Brian Levin, the director of the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism at the San Bernardino campus. “The bottom line is we’re talking about a significant increase in these types of hate crimes.”

BUT

Well, except the part where hate crimes soared, you're right.
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...se-white-british-being-attacked-a7360836.html
Before you tell me "but these are July figures", bear in mind reporting takes times and this is the latest available data. There's no available metric that says these somehow went down later.

JimiNutz

Banned

Shameful.

To be honest I don't have any hard stats and at the moment neither do you so calm yourself down.

Where I live (London) life goes on as normal for me and my immigrant friends and neighbours. Sure this is anecdotal evidence but so is your social media claim - when isn't social media filled with hateful racism?

This article is interesting
https://www.theguardian.com/society...rendum-police-figures-show?CMP=share_btn_link

Headline suggests that hate crime continues to be higher but then the narrative suggests levels have returned to 'normal'.

gruenel

This is so sad. I can't imagine what it feels like being a minority in America right now. Millions of kids will be traumatized for life by this.

Please stay safe 😕

Dalibor68

Banned
Well there was a lot of mentally impaired people in Sweden in the 90s then. They suddenly woke up again 6 years ago.
If you want a more recent update on how people are just look to Brexit.

Dude, I have lived this more than once. It isn't anything new just that people don't give a fuck about who is under the bus as long as it isn't them.

I think you misunderstood me. I have no doubt that hate crimes are increasing currently. I was talking about the specific example I quoted which sounded rather weird because I have a hard time imagining someone shouting "FUCK YOU, N*****" just to then pause and go "btw this is ok now bcs trump is president".

White people, need I say more

Yes?

PK Gaming

This is the most unpleasant thread on GAF right now.

Not in a "this thread promotes bad discussion" or the "posters are bad" sort of way.

But more in a "my faith in humanity reaches rock bottom every time I read it" sort of way.

But I can't stop reading it, that's the sad part.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
To be honest I don't have any hard stats and at the moment neither do you so calm yourself down.

Where I live (London) life goes on as normal for me and my immigrant friends and neighbours. Sure this is anecdotal evidence but so is your social media claim - when isn't social media filled with hateful racism?

https://www.theguardian.com/society...rendum-police-figures-show?CMP=share_btn_link

Headline suggests that hate crime continues to be higher but then the narrative suggests levels have returned to 'normal'.

Check the posts above. Numbers are up in Britain. The emboldened racists won't just go away again.

AHindD

BUT

Last I heard the Brexit hasn't happened, yes, people can live and work happily in Britain while its still in the EU. Plus, there's still massive doubt around whether or not Brexit will actually happen, considering the landmark ruling from the Supreme Court.

America has just straight up voted for a racist, climate change denier (who has already put in place a leading denier in charge of the EPA), sexist, despicable human being into its top office. Who IS going to sit in that top office, for 4 long, hard years, in 2 months time.

Fuck I need another drink.

Out of sight, out of mind. That's the White man's peace of mind.

Must be great being part of the a group that doesn't have to deal with it day in and day out. The dehumanising glares, the mutterings under someone's breath, the change in body language when they look/talk to you, but that doesn't matter at all because if it's not being reported, it's not fucking happening.

Fuck outta here.

I didn't come into the thread and try to minimise and wave away racist behaviour/attacks by saying it's just a temporary uptick. And of course you pull out the immigrant friend card. Of course you do. Tell me about your black and Muslim friends too.

Fuck outta here with your disingenuous bullshit.

JimiNutz

Banned
Check the posts above. Numbers are up in Britain. The emboldened racists won't just go away again.

Despite the increases, the report confirmed that police chiefs will no longer collate weekly figures, because by August this year the levels of hate crime returned to those seen earlier in 2016.

The report says: “This analysis shows a clear increase following the referendum result. The number of racially or religiously aggravated offences then falls during August, with the number of offences at the end of August at a similar level seen prior to the referendum.”

So basically huge surge after Brexit (which will fuck the stats for the rest of the year) but then back to 'normal' levels by August/September.

I'm not saying it's not a problem and what's happening now in the US is disgusting but based on what happened here following Brexit, it should hopefully die down again soon.

Fuck outta here.

I didn't come into the thread and try to minimise and wave away racist behaviour/attacks by saying it's just a temporary uptick. And of course you pull out the immigrant friend card. Of course you do. Tell me about your black and Muslim friends too.

Fuck outta here with your disingenuous bullshit.

Still no substance to anything you post... Just meaningless shouting and swearing. Funny that it's you constantly swearing at me while I simply am trying to have a calm discussion.

Also making big assumptions about me.
My Mother is half Pakistani Muslim and her surname is Ahmed (not that it has anything to do with the discussion).

Still no substance to anything you post... Just meaningless shouting and swearing. Funny that it's you constantly swearing at me while I simply am trying to have a calm discussion.

Also making big assumptions about me.
My Mother is half Pakistani Muslim and her surname is Ahmed (not that it has anything to do with the discussion).

Your 'discussion' (minimizing people's experiences and fears) revolves the fact that even though people are being attacked, groped, sexually assaulted, made to feel unsafe and unwelcome to the point where they are taking their lives, that we shouldn't worry because it's only temporary.

That's why you won't get anything from substance, because you're posting bullshit that's not worthy of a proper response.

Despite the increases, the report confirmed that police chiefs will no longer collate weekly figures, because by August this year the levels of hate crime returned to those seen earlier in 2016.

The report says: “This analysis shows a clear increase following the referendum result. The number of racially or religiously aggravated offences then falls during August, with the number of offences at the end of August at a similar level seen prior to the referendum.”

So basically huge surge after Brexit (which will fuck the stats for the rest of the year) but then back to 'normal' levels by August/September.

I'm not saying it's not a problem and what's happening now in the US is disgusting but based on what happened here following Brexit, it should hopefully die down again soon.

And what assurance will you give if the pattern escalates?

JimiNutz

Banned
Your 'discussion' (minimizing people's experiences and fears) revolves the fact that even though people are being attacked, groped, sexually assaulted, made to feel unsafe and unwelcome to the point where they are taking their lives, that we shouldn't worry because it's only temporary.

That's why you won't get anything from substance, because you're posting bullshit that's not worthy of a proper response.

I didn't say we shouldn't worry and I didn't once say it was ok.

Was trying to offer some optimism at a time when this forum is filled with negativity and fear.

By providing statistical evidence I was attempting to reassure people that this wave of racism and crime will hopefully not last.

What's wrong with trying to offer some hope???

I didn't once dismiss this or say it's ok.

You just appear to be full of anger and jumped down my throat straight away without actually reading and processing what I actually wrote.

This forum needs some positive energy at the moment. The mass hysteria, anger and melancholy is not healthy. Someone needs to try and look for some hope in all this.

And what assurance will you give if the pattern escalates?

If the pattern escalates then peaceful protest and discourse should hopefully prevail.
GAF is filled with a lot of 'what if' at the moment though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom