• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seinfeld is the Unfunniest Sitcom of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
the one I posted or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2lfZg-apSA
But clips don't really do the show justice, when you have the time you should watch some of the classic episodes.
'The Marine Biologist' 'The Chinese Restaurant' 'The Parking Garage'

Before this 4 minute clip had finished I was already completely sick of the idiotic laughing at every single line. Yeah I think I'm gonna really love this show.

Think I might just watch Curb instead.

MMaRsu

Banned
You haven't heard?

R1W9H.jpg

Oh I heard, she's a goddamn monster now.

If you like anyone but George you're not getting the show.

That said... it really isn't that good. The jokes aren't "smart" they're inane. This coming from me. Master of stupid cock jokes. George, Newman, and Soup Nazi are the bright lights in this show. I never understood the love of Kramer.

The character is like someone from Family Guy. Random to a shocking degree. Bleh.

Love it all you want, but acting high and mighty because you and 20 million people watched it every week does not make your opinion de facto. Seinfeld, like any other show, had it's moments. And some of them were really good.

But it isn't a revelation.

At least it was better than the vast majority of comedy in its era.

I watched it when it aired, and have since, but I rarely pay attention when its on anymore.

Unless it's like the shrinkage episode, or anything with Newman. Then I focus to get some giggles.

I actually found The Parking Garage to be horrifically unfunny. I think at that point I was realizing how small the budget for this show was. And I understand what they're trying to do with the humor (similar to Curb) but unlike Curb it seems really forced and unnatural.

- The goldfish joke, where were they going with that?
- I get it, parking garages are big and it's difficult to remember where you parked. Not funny.
- Peeing in the corner and getting caught. Not funny.
- Using the same excuse to the guard. Not funny.

I'm honestly trying to understand what you guys find utterly hilarious about these episodes. I don't get it.
Seinfeld, at its core, was about examining the minutia of everyday life. Episodes like the Parking Garage,The Chinese Restaurant, and The Parking Space are the best examples of this, and among the best episodes of the whole series. This examination of the minutia of everyday life was famously summed up (within the show itself) as "a show about nothing," which itself is such a superb example of meta that it still blows my mind to this day.

In later seasons, the show went from that to absurd characterizations and fantasy (Man Hands, the Models Club, etc) and the show went into a gentle decline, riding the 'Seinfeld-iverse' that had been built up.

Edit:
Seriously though OP, wade through the hate here to some genuine help. Skip another couple seasons. 3 is weak, 4 gets better, 5 I love, but skip even more. Just jump to 7 or some shit. It is much more digestible, particularly if you aren't feeling it right now.
You're recommending the shittiest part of the whole series, the part that was the show coasting on what we now would call "Seinfeldisms" taken to almost a meme status. smh

Wait... why hasn't OP been banned yet?
Honestly, why would he be?

Seinfeld is good at times, but I really can't understand the need to quell dissent. There are people out there that loved Drawn Together. Let that sink in. Drawn Together.

I hold no issue with someone disliking Seinfeld after realizing people can like Drawn Together.

IceCold

That said... it really isn't that good. The jokes aren't "smart" they're inane. This coming from me. Master of stupid cock jokes. George, Newman, and Soup Nazi are the bright lights in this show. I never understood the love of Kramer.

The character is like someone from Family Guy. Random to a shocking degree. Bleh.

Love it all you want, but acting high and mighty because you and 20 million people watched it every week does not make your opinion de facto. Seinfeld, like any other show, had it's moments. And some of them were really good.

Kramer is great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkpvON6IpNs

"Alright let's take a short break"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4SewgD0Vz0#t=1m4s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM79_itR0Nc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_Hm0J847Gk&feature=related

etc.

Blastoise

Banned
I never understood the love for Seinfeld. Especially people saying it's the greatest sitcom of all time. I was way too young to get into it, and never really cared about watching old TV shows.

However this past month I went through the entire series, watching about 3-4 eps a day. I became hooked, even though there isn't a series progression I watched the show back to back. I love the call backs to other episodes, love Kramer's physical comedy (some Charlie Chaplin like shit), and really liked the character dynamic. I have to agree that it's one of the most consistently hilarious sitcoms ever made, I always laughed at nearly every joke. I usually hate the laugh track, especially in modern sitcoms, however for some reason it didn't get in the way at all. I also feel like the jokes have aged well, and would recommend it to anyone who hasn't experienced it.

A+ would watch again.

Also being a huge fan of Curb, I get where most of Larry's comedy comes from.

Boogiepop

OP, at least watch one more episode. If you can't laugh at The Limo, I don't know what to say, but you should at least give that one a shot.

I want the OP's next thread to be titled "Things that I think....suck".

Just make a big list of all the things you hate, especially the stuff that a lot of people like.

I am interested in hearing more of your wisdom.

MC Safety

I appreciate the original poster's opinion, but he has clearly never seen the 10-car pileup that is "Whitney."

I foolishly tried to watch an episode of Whitney and found the canned laughter and terrible jokes unbearable. I don't think I was able to watch to the first commercial break. By all reports, the show has not gotten any better, either.

Any fan of Seinfeld will tell you Seinfeld is one of the least funny characters on the show. His stand up bits are more like monologues for the episode than gut busting comedy routines.
A huge part of Jerry's humor and appeal is his timing and delivery. A lot of what he says isn't that funny, but timing is everything.

George as a character and how Jason Alexander delivered that character is a once in a decade level of incredible. Coincidentally, I have just started re watching Seinfeld again, starting at season 2 and I have a new found appreciation of the show. I used to think Kramer and Jerry were the funniest when I was younger and I now realize George, Elaine and the rest of the auxiliary cast are the highlights. The first time Jerry and Elaine go to visit Jerry's parents in Florida...fucking brilliant.

Lastly, having lived in NYC for seven years now there are a lot of jokes that only registered after have had living here. That isn't to say Seinfeld isn't funny unless you have lived in NYC, but the are jokes that are elevated when you have a personal experience to reference, much like all great comedy.

To say "Seinfeld isn't funny" is nothing profound. It is a show with legendary hype, a perfect time capsule of its era and as with any comedy, isn't for everyone. There is always a fine line of distinction when it comes to judging predominantly subjective mediums, but I can say that if an objective measure of comedy was applied to Seinfeld, I would confidently declare it is a funny show. I am sorry you don't enjoy it.

I always found Seinfeld to actually be quite entertaining. Kramer always bursting through the door, then one episode jerry has it locked so all you hear is Thud! Which made me laugh. I don't know some people find it entertaining, others don't it's all up to personal interests and judgement. When it comes to shows and movies I'm pretty laid back and enjoy almost anything. I don't have really high standards for movies or shows, as long as it kept me entertained at some points, I like it.

I want the OP's next thread to be titled "Things that I think....suck".

Just make a big list of all the things you hate, especially the stuff that a lot of people like.

I am interested in hearing more of your wisdom.

I'll give you a preview

Mario
Halo
Metal Gear Solid
Lord of the Rings
Star Wars
Sex
Life
Milk
Pizza
Hamburgers
Thanksgiving dinner
Mini Golf
Mario Kart
People

Gaborn

I mostly agree with this. Now All in the Family, THAT was amazing television. Groundbreaking. Hilarious. Topical. Characters you actually LIKE and to some degree relate to. I will say in fairness though that Seinfeld is still very good TV. It's just not as "special" as it was when it was on. I just don't think it's aged as well as I thought.

Kid Ying

I saw Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 7 just for the Seinfeld parts (and well, because I had heard that Curb was a good show). Sadly, there was not enough Seinfeld in it so I ended up giving it away to a friend.

Curb was decent, but far from the masterpiece that is Seinfeld.
Same. I tried to get into Curb a couple of times, but i don't know why i can never find myself invested in the series, whereas with Seinfeld that was never a problem and i related much more. Maybe i never got to see the best episodes from Curb and just got into a couple of bad ones, who knows... The first episode i've watched from Seinfeld was the one with the Porto Rico parade. It was impossible not to love that series watching that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom