• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3. E3. Fund now or leave gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://twitter.com/QUANTIC_DREAM/status/610429360944779264

hFxOj1U.jpg

Shenmue 1 and 2 HD is like 5% possible, Shenmue 3 is -1000000% possible. I'm huge fan of the series and played both games to death on Dreamcast and original Xbox, but I don't think we will get Shenmue HD remakes or remastered let alone Shenmue 3, wake up people.

"We're proud to announce… Tales From Shenmue by Telltale Games!"

I see this joke mentioned all of the time. However, I would be thrilled. Sure, over time, I would be a lot less thrilled as I imagine what could have been, but a "Shenmue 3" in the vein of The Walking Dead Season 1 with actual exploration would still be more than I ever imagined getting.

Really really hope its the Yakuza devs who are making it

And the Virtual Fighter developers to use the fighting system. Sorry, I really cannot imagine Shenmue with Yakuza like press-x to awesome combat or Batman's rubberband near-QTE style system. I want moves where I can use a variety based on my input from high kicks, grabs, modifiers and the like.

SomTervo

Let's not forget that is post-release and can easily be applied to Shenmue 3. What about pre-release? Were the original Fallout games selling blockbuster hits before 3?

No we don't. Not at the level of detail and density the Shenmue series provides: Full interactive elements from drawers to cities. Dynamic day/night npc synchronizations You actually see people closing up and going back home. Night stores light up appropriately, weather and seasons affect the clothing. Every NPC is unique. Investigation being the core gameplay element. A fully integrated fighting system that sports 1 on 1 to 1 vs multi. Customized movesets and power leveling only based on the most frequently practiced.

You say we have bucket loads, but I have yet to encounter something the equivalent of that. No, I'm not referring to the general open-world elements such as mini-games and the like, I'm talking about each integrated gameplay system being at the core and not a moment to moment element where you pick a highlighted NPC on a minimap and do fed-ex quests and courier missions to level up and gain extra perks/weapons/etc.

Irrelevant – the comparison was between Fallout 1-NV versus the Fallout 4 likelihood. People were comparing that to Shenmue 1-2 versus Shenmue 3 likelihood.

Fallout 1, 2, 3, NV all saw critical and commercial success when you look at all four titles (the series' whole legacy). It is relevant to compare all four to the likelihood of Fallout 4's release.
You're saying we should only look at Fallout 1-2 for the likelihood of FO4's release, which is facetious. 3 and NV would impact that.

Shenmue 1 and 2 saw critical but not commercial success. That's across the two titles (the series' whole legacy). Only these two affect the likelihood of Shenmue 3's release - which isn't likely.

No we don't. Not at the level of detail and density the Shenmue series provides: Full interactive elements from drawers to cities. Dynamic day/night npc synchronizations You actually see people closing up and going back home. Night stores light up appropriately, weather and seasons affect the clothing. Every NPC is unique. Investigation being the core gameplay element. A fully integrated fighting system that sports 1 on 1 to 1 vs multi. Customized movesets and power leveling only based on the most frequently practiced.

You say we have bucket loads, but I have yet to encounter something the equivalent of that. No, I'm not referring to the general open-world elements such as mini-games and the like, I'm talking about each integrated gameplay system being at the core and not a moment to moment element where you pick a highlighted NPC on a minimap and do fed-ex quests and courier missions to level up and gain extra perks/weapons/etc.

We may not have that particular type of open world all that much, but people closing their shops and changing their clothes doesn't make the game any more fun. My point was that back then, when this expansive, well realised world was an unheared of concept, the prospect of simply being in it was enough to put up with the gameplay issues (I didn't analyse it like that then - I was a kid - but looking back now based on my memories that was quite clearly the case). I don't think that would be the case today, even if we don't have many games exactly like that; The "expansive world" that I found so appealing certainly does exist in spades.

how so? shenmue was a pretty hammy, badly written cheese fest. it seems they're a match made in heaven. lol

Whatever issues there were with its writing, Shenmue was also still a great action-adventure game with likable characters and actually decent and replayable gameplay mechanics, unlike anything QD has made to date.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Our yu Suzuki,
Who art unemployed
Please give us the damn game.
Your legacy's none
Virtua Fighter's done
Now stop stalling and give it to Kevin.

Amen

Whatever issues there were with its writing, Shenmue was also still a great action-adventure game with likable characters and actually decent and replayable gameplay mechanics, unlike anything QD has made to date.
Omikron had some alright brawling system, I think QD could have handled this well, but I rather want them to work on their own stuff.

Omikron had some alright brawling system, I think QD could have handled this well, but I rather want them to work on their own stuff.

Ugh, I disagree. I mean, for its time, it was ambitious, more than anything they've done since, but it was also not good. Anyway, I'm done giving oxygen to QD talk in a Shenmue thread.

RMI

Banned
would be hilarious if it were announced as a Wii U exclusive with Nintendo swooping in to save the day a la Bayonetta 2.

SomTervo

I think that Shenmue, more than any of the other games often requesting a remake, would suffer the most from that. I think it's almost entirely nostalgia that makes it appealing. I say that because at the time when I played it, the relatively open world nature was mind blowing. You could go anywhere, do anything, see Santa walking round, play arcade games in the town etc. It was so amazing. And then they make you go to work and drive a truck. It was like GTA if you had to stop at red lights. At the time I powered through because the world was so breathtakingly original and expansive (for the time). But now we have games like that in bucket loads, I think the actual gameplay would be highlighted for how boring it was in hindsight.

I played Shenmue just last month at an exhibition in Edinburgh.

It had actually aged really well. Somehow the flaws were easier to forgive and there were aspects of it I adored even more (for example the lack of a minimap or map at all. You had to find actual map signs on the street to find your way about. Incredible.)

I even went into a building or two I had never entered when I played the originals 10-12 years ago. It was really great.

I also watched someone else playing it for the first time and I got to shout "oh, oh, here it comes, oh, watch out for the football to the face". Just as classic as I remembered.

KORNdoggy

Eh, those things comprise such a small and relatively rare part of the game's playing time it was more of a way to mix it up than make up the bulk of its interaction.

shenmue was never particularly great imo. it was part "not so great" and "not so focused" adventure game. part QTE-fest and part half decent brawler, all wrapped in a pretty bad story and script with pointless levels of interactivity for the sake of being able to.... i think quantic dream, the people behind omikron could handle that pretty well. they'd probalby just focus things down a bit so there was less emphesis on opening drawers just to hold and look at a rolled up pair of socks or a small cup. lol

personally i think yakuza took the soul of shenmue and just made a more consistent, decent game out of it.

Lutherian

Read this tweet :

@QUANTIC_DREAM is not developing Shenmue 3. While we highly respect this franchise, we are working (hard) on our own IPs,

Vorg

Banned

Come on. You can't even go out at night because you have to go to bed in Shenmue. I think new players wouldn't even understand the game's concept, because despite promising freedom, everything is actually very restrictive compared to the games we have now. It's a "you had to be there" situation.

the characters in shenmue aren't even characters

more like action figures with a draw-string

Snaku

Banned
would be hilarious if it were announced as a Wii U exclusive with Nintendo swooping in to save the day a la Bayonetta 2.

In what way? In that I'd get to play a game that I've been waiting for for over a decade on an inexpensive console with dozens of other great exclusives? People act like these dead franchises ending up on Wii U is a fate worse than death. As a card carrying member of the Shenmue support group, I'll tell you that anything is better than the status quo. I'd take a fucking iOS visual novel at this point. A Wii U Shenmue III would be glorious.

RMI

Banned
In what way? In that I'd get to play a game that I've been waiting for for over a decade on an inexpensive console with dozens of other great exclusives? People act like these dead franchises ending up on Wii U is a fate worse than death. As a card carrying member of the Shenmue support group, I'll tell you that anything is better than the status quo. I'd take a fucking iOS visual novel at this point. A Wii U Shenmue III would be glorious.

In this way. I would be happy if this game came out on any platform, but it would be hilarious to watch people lose their shit.

PetrCobra

I don't think they would be willing to shell out that much money only to barely get anything back after the game releases. But yeah, sure, give me a sequel along with ports of the first two, I'm not going to complain (always wanted to play Shenmue, never had the chance)

pronk420

that quantic D tweet implies that Shenmue 3 exists, but is being developed by someone else, otherwise they could have just said theres no such thing as shenmue 3 D:

also is sega even e3? i guess they must be since they need to announce virtual fighter 6 (they're doing that for sure right? right? :'''''( )

We may not have that particular type of open world all that much, but people closing their shops and changing their clothes doesn't make the game any more fun. My point was that back then, when this expansive, well realised world was an unheared of concept, the prospect of simply being in it was enough to put up with the gameplay issues (I didn't analyse it like that then - I was a kid - but looking back now based on my memories that was quite clearly the case). I don't think that would be the case today, even if we don't have many games exactly like that; The "expansive world" that I found so appealing certainly does exist in spades.

I'm not so sure where "fun" is inherent into the equation but going back to your point: "Expansive" worlds existed in the days of Ultima all the way to Elder Scrolls. If Shenmue was simply simplified down into a factor like that then it would just be "another" open-world game. It's like comparing Tomb Raider to Uncharted, they're both pulp exploration style games, they have very similar motivations, and they follow the same format dealing with obstacles.

You can inherently argue that they both are pretty much the same game, except for one core factor: gameplay. That minute element alone is enough to make a substantial difference between both games despite sharing so many core elements any more than TLOU is just another "cover" based shooter. So while Shenmue does share A LOT with other open-world "expansive" games, it's the context that drives that game that makes it very different.

shenmue was never particularly great imo. it was part "not so great" and "not so focused" adventure game. part QTE-fest and part half decent brawler, all wrapped in a pretty bad story and script with pointless levels of interactivity for the sake of being able to.... i think quantic dream, the people behind omikron could handle that pretty well. they'd probalby just focus things down a bit so there was less emphesis on opening drawers just to hold and look at a rolled up pair of socks or a small cup. lol

personally i think yakuza took the soul of shenmue and just made a more consistent, decent game out of it.
I'm not going to deny Shenmue has lots of generally 'pointless' interactions and weak writing with uneven distribution of quality, but it's all built around a core of solid fighting and exploration. I mean, it was something amazing to behold in nineteen-fucking-ninety-nine on a Dreamcast. Still impressive to me today and still better than anything QD has produced in their entire history as a developer.

the characters in shenmue aren't even characters

more like action figures with a draw-string

Video games...where we love JRPG protags and platformer avatars for their character designs. They're all like this on console, in particular. For the time, it was an amazing achievement for sheer scale. I'm not calling it the best game ever made or that it houses the best writing ever, just that, altogether, it was and is pretty fucking great.

gelf

well it did birth QTE's and everyone does LOOOOOVE those...lol

It birthed the name for them but it was far from the first to use them. It's not even the first Sega game with them.

DieHardArcade.gif

But as has been said QTEs are a relatively small part of the Shenmue experience. Remove them and there's still a game there.

marcincz

And again. Year after year this same. As always big expectations, hopes and believe and after that disappointed, but as always...I believe in Hazuki's revenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom