• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3. E3. Fund now or leave gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomTervo

Half of the neogafers havent played Fallout 1 or 2 either

Yeah but Fallout 3 was a critical darling that also sold really really well and easily turned a profit.

Shenmue was notoriously expensive, only just sold well enough IIRC, and didn't get anywhere near the widespread cultural impact that Fallout 3 got.

My fingers are crossed but Shenmue's probably dead

Tizoc

Yeah but Fallout 3 was a critical darling that also sold really really well and easily turned a profit.

Shenmue was notoriously expensive, only just sold well enough IIRC, and didn't get anywhere near the widespread cultural impact that Fallout 3 got.

This whole 'game series is dead' thing is a bunch of horseshit IMO.
If we're getting Shenmue 3, we're getting it.
Til then just gimme Shenmue 1+2 HD so I can finally see what all the hubbub is about this series is.

Pachimari

Do we really think we'll get some kind of Shenmue announcement, or are we just playing around at this point?

I'm not getting my hopes up.

SomTervo

This whole 'game series is dead' thing is a bunch of horseshit IMO.
If we're getting Shenmue 3, we're getting it.
Til then just gimme Shenmue 1+2 HD so I can finally see what all the hubbub is about this series is.

Okay.

As I said last page, there's been one, and only one solid press article which suggested Shenmue is on its way.

I really hope it is, but we've been thinking this for the past... What, 15 years?

What is Quantic Dream up to anyway? ...

Tech wise, this could make sense... As long as they don't do the game design and the writing/story.

I agree. Whilst I am in my late 30s this series just passed me by. I am convinced it is some elaborate GAF hoax that got out of hand and no-one has actually ever played any of the series.

I bet on the remastered for Ps4
But if this is something bigger it can't be "only" Shenmue III but a complete package (1+2+3) redone with different engine and streamlined gameplay

Tizoc

I agree. Whilst I am in my late 30s this series just passed me by. I am convinced it is some elaborate GAF hoax that got out of hand and no-one has actually ever played any of the series.

It's not just GAF: It's the gaming world in general, even before coming to GAF I've heard praise of the Shenmue series.

Thaedolus

Honestly, it's a glorified Sierra adventure game, and I love the shit out of it. They also did an amazing job of capturing Japan; when I went there in person it really felt like I had been there before.

I think finishing Shenmue as a series now is more feasible than ever because the cost of doing so is going to be a tiny fraction of what it took to do it on the Dreamcast. There's no trail to blaze when it comes to creating the world any more. If The Witcher 3 can be so huge for the price, something on a scale of Shenmue should be cake nowadays.

SomTervo

I think finishing Shenmue as a series now is more feasible than ever because the cost of doing so is going to be a tiny fraction of what it took to do it on the Dreamcast. There's no trail to blaze when it comes to creating the world any more. If The Witcher 3 can be so huge for the price, something on a scale of Shenmue should be cake nowadays.

This is true, especially with Quantic Dream's remit and experience (if the rumours are legit)

Seems like a pretty genuinely well-made match

SmokyDave

Heh. I still remember buying my copy on day one. Me and the (then) missus were returning from a wedding and I dashed into York specifically to pick it up. I had the following week off. Completed it once that week and then again over the Christmas break. One of my fondest game launch memories.

I'm not getting my hopes up here though. Been burned too many times before.

levitan

Haven't post in gaf for months. I am going to jump on this hypetrain of death so I can laugh at myself believing FF7, TLG and S3 will be at this year's E3.

ShenmueNextGen

Neo Member
Zx2i6tK.png

https://twitter.com/QUANTIC_DREAM/status/610429360944779264

Typhares

I wasn't planning on staying up so late to watch the sony conference but now I am torn... if I do and no shenmue I am going to be cranky tomorrow.

AsianOni

I didn't buy into that rumor, but this account has never really posted before today and has only 17 followers so I'm not sure there is any reason to believe that's actually Quantic Dream's twitter.
EDIT: Nevermind, seems to be legit.

They openned the account today.

Edit : burned

jcjimher

Posting here for posterity too!!

And to state that I will buy a PS4, an Xbone, an Oculus Rift or whatever is needed to play either Shenmue III, Shenmue I+II HD, Shenmue Online 2015 or anything Yu Suzuki may be able to throw at us. :)

And I will do this every pre-E3 conferences day from now on :), as a weird tradition :)

ShenmueNextGen

Neo Member
Because Quantic Dream doesn't developing it, doesn't mean that no one is going to develop it. Anyway, that rumour about QD started after Yu Suzuki's tweet on Twitter.

dcnMfa2.png

I think that Shenmue, more than any of the other games often requesting a remake, would suffer the most from that. I think it's almost entirely nostalgia that makes it appealing. I say that because at the time when I played it, the relatively open world nature was mind blowing. You could go anywhere, do anything, see Santa walking round, play arcade games in the town etc. It was so amazing. And then they make you go to work and drive a truck. It was like GTA if you had to stop at red lights. At the time I powered through because the world was so breathtakingly original and expansive (for the time). But now we have games like that in bucket loads, I think the actual gameplay would be highlighted for how boring it was in hindsight.

I think that Shenmue, more than any of the other games often requesting a remake, would suffer the most from that. I think it's almost entirely nostalgia that makes it appealing. I say that because at the time when I played it, the relatively open world nature was mind blowing. You could go anywhere, do anything, see Santa walking round, play arcade games in the town etc. It was so amazing. And then they make you go to work and drive a truck. It was like GTA if you had to stop at red lights. At the time I powered through because the world was so breathtakingly original and expansive (for the time). But now we have games like that in bucket loads, I think the actual gameplay would be highlighted for how boring it was in hindsight.

I'd be happy with a port to Steam or console download services. I gave away my Dreamcast years ago and Shenmue is really the only game from that system that I care about that never got released elsewhere.

Let's not forget that is post-release and can easily be applied to Shenmue 3. What about pre-release? Were the original Fallout games selling blockbuster hits before 3?

No we don't. Not at the level of detail and density the Shenmue series provides: Full interactive elements from drawers to cities. Dynamic day/night npc synchronizations You actually see people closing up and going back home. Night stores light up appropriately, weather and seasons affect the clothing. Every NPC is unique. Investigation being the core gameplay element. A fully integrated fighting system that sports 1 on 1 to 1 vs multi. Customized movesets and power leveling only based on the most frequently practiced.

You say we have bucket loads, but I have yet to encounter something the equivalent of that. No, I'm not referring to the general open-world elements such as mini-games and the like, I'm talking about each integrated gameplay system being at the core and not a moment to moment element where you pick a highlighted NPC on a minimap and do fed-ex quests and courier missions to level up and gain extra perks/weapons/etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom