• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramenman

I can't be the only one thinking that begging fans for money on the stage of a multimillion corporation is a bit fucked...

Yeah it's so funny that people will remind it as a part of Sony's conference when they really only made advertising for another "japanese legend" kickstarter and didn't deign giving any money to such a ridiculous project themselves :D

it will obviously be backed, but it's very funny that sony didn't even care enough even though they were clearly going for goodwill with all those fanservice showings.

Also, what the hell, like 2 millions is enough to live up to "shemnue 3".

DavidDesu

It literally jumped $50,000 in 5 minutes guys. Un Fucking Real.

I remember people saying Shenmue Kickstarter was risky, so few fans and it might not work. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Gonna meet the goal within the hour. And I'm a massive fan who won;t be able to fund it for another week or so (pay day).

Paz

First game I'll back.

But imo there's trick, this is just a demand gauge, then Sony will help them with their own funding.
NO way this costs just 2 million, 10m seems the right budget.

The original game is rumored to have cost some 50 million dollars, Shenmue is a monstrous effort.

I have no idea what the full budget for Shenmue 3 is but it can't hurt for us to throw as much money at them as we possibly can!

Tainted

I don't have any affinity for Shenmue...can someone explain why everyone is losing their collective shit over this announcement ?

Thx :)

made an account and threw my 29 bucks in. that thing is rising fast. has any project announcement ever killed kickstarter like this before?

I just came here to cry for a bit.

I can't...

I'm not sure I quite understand everything quite yet, but yeah.

Godspeed Suzuki-sama, godspeed.

This is one of the strangest announcements ever. First of all, Sony showing it at their conference is odd, secondly Sega agreeing to do this is even more odd, and thirdly the fact that they are using the UE4 engine. I get this feeling that Mark Cerny pulled a few strings at Sony to get this in their conference. It seems to make the most sense to me. I would imagine that Sega only agreed to do this after watching the mega successes of the Mighty no. 9, and Bloodstained kickstarters. As for the engine, I'm not complaining about the use of UE4, but I would've imagined that Sega would let them use the Yakuza engine for this game.

It's just weird that Shenmue is being continues like it is an indie game reboot.

Another weird thing about Shenmue is that it really is an obscure franchise. The first Shenmue was only ever released on the Dreamcast, and I doubt many people actually owned it. The second Shenmue did get a release on the original Xbox, but still wasn't the biggest seller. There is no way to buy the originals currently. But at the same time this is a highly regarded franchise by the hard core gaming community. It makes me wonder how may people will back it.

Trojan X

Banned
SEGA!!!!!!!!!!! WE TOLD YOU!!!!! WE TOLD YOU FOR YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A DECADE! For so long we said that Shenmue III would be massive and you did NOTHING! NOW LOOK! You FOOLS!!!!! This is definitive proof that SHENMUE III will be massive! Nearly $800,000 within 45 minutes since announcement!!!!

Had to get that off my chest.

benzy

Lol, the $2 million isn't fully funding the game. It's there to gauge initial interest and demand. Sony are obviously co-funding this, hence the exclusivity. It's guaranteed they'll pitch in after interest is cemented.

Yep, people are getting crazy, lol.

Backed the $29 digital PS4 version, but would have rather backed a physical PS4 version for $60.
Would back an HD release of Shenmue 1 & 2 for PS4 without a second thought too. Again, physical version preferred. To admire occasionally right next to my Dreamcast and Xbox versions of Shenmue 1/2.

To all those that think the game will be developed with only just 2mil, seriously?!

You're all fools if y'all believe that considering the first 2 games costed around 100mil and damn well broke Sega!

It's pretty obvious to me that Sony is putting up the lions share of development costs and publishing the game, the kickstarter is just to gauge interest level.

DrArchon

This screams of the kinda deal that Bloodstained had. $2mil is definitely not enough to make this game, so someone is gonna pony up the rest after the KS proves that people want it.

That said, holy shit.

Almighty

Really tempted to back this, but I have never played the previous games and 29 bucks is slightly out of my impulse back range. So I will need to think about it for a bit. I also must admit that I was dead wrong as I am pretty sure I said in a thread that a kickstater for Shenmue 3 was not in the realm of possibility.

Spaghetti

The faces and animation were super janky. Work in progress obviously, but not the best first foot forward.
i think the animations were reused dreamcast animations.

as for the faces, i think that's because the footage is super early. the game has a good 2 and a half years of development left. that's if it doesn't get pushed back.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
I find something incredibly distasteful about trotting out a Kickstarter on stage at E3, for one of the most passionate fanbases no less. Like Sony just straight up not funding it? Fuck you fans, you pay for this shit. We'll take the hype and press, though. Oh, and the Kickstarter page looks like a student project. Now start crying tears of joy, or whatever.

IDK, just seems somehow cynical.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Welp making a Kickstarter account now. I've never donated to anything on here and may never do so again but for this I simply must.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I know it is premature by 2.5 years, but in celebration of today's announcement, I am firing up the Dreamcast, breaking out my day 1 copy of Shenmue and I am playing until my eyes bleed tom

And almost 800k on Kickstarter already!

Banned
All those people who were begging for it for the last decade, it's time to put your money where your mouth is and support this project.

Broank

OK I pledged $120. Always said I would buy 3 copies if they ever made it.

My first kickstarter. :D

Wonder if they are using the assets form the dreamcast era. I remember they said they made assets for all the games at the same time.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't even played the first 2 and I backed this up. What's wrong with me?

NolbertoS

Yu Suzuki must've sold the rights to the franchise if he's only requiring $2 Million, that or Shenmue 3 to be released on Dreamcast graphics :p Also no physical edition, makes me a sad panda :'(

HoJu

This Conference killed the CYNICAL AGE that had ruled over gaming for so long!

THANK YOU!!!

lol that the kickstarter announcement for a game during an e3 conference for a major corp. would kill cynicism in gaming.
and i mean, it's a remake for FF7. it's cool but it's still a remake and it was a CG trailer and it's Square Enix.
The Last Guardian is cool though.

Thoraxes

Backer #61.

CHlkpZ8WEAA15_O.png

How do you check?

Delstius

Backed so hard.
The video looked awful but since they'll be swimming in money soon, after crushing every kickstarter record to date, I don't think they'll have any issue on improving everything.

Krejlooc

Banned
I have suppressed a shit load of feelings about the cliffhanger ending to shenmue 3 for over a decade now. I was hyped beyond belief about those games back in the early 2000's. About as hyped as you can get. I became so engrossed in these worlds. I loved shenmue so much.

I have tried so hard to forget about the ending, to just flat out not think about it.

It's all rushing forward right now. I can't believe this. oh my good fucking god.

yankee666

Gold Member
I dreamed for this day for the past 14 years. Im crying tears of joy. If i had the money il.put 10k easily. Thanks lord of gaming for this glorious day!!!!!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Since Shenmue 3 is more likely to happens! My friends and I expressed our interests to try Shenmue franchise. Would they are going to release Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 for PS3/360/PS4/XB1 so people could catch up and see why people love the franchise?

jholmes

Announcing a kickstarter during the press conference felt a bit scummy for some reason, but holy shit shenmue.

Yeah, I'm glad Shenmue is up for a Kickstarter, but announcing that the fans can pay to see the game made their damn selves, I mean, what the hell is that? It's like going to McDonald's and them giving you a recipe for french fries.

Yeah it's so funny that people will remind it as a part of Sony's conference when they really only made advertising for another "japanese legend" kickstarter and didn't deign giving any money to such a ridiculous project themselves :D

it will obviously be backed, but it's very funny that sony didn't even care enough even though they were clearly going for goodwill with all those fanservice showings.

Also, what the hell, like 2 millions is enough to live up to "shemnue 3".

why is this game not on xbox one anyway? Only because sony gave suzuki a shout on the stage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom