• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei appreciation thread

I know im setting myself up for some pain here, but im not the biggest fan of that cover. Especially since i think this might be the most stylish game this entire gen and that cover really doesnt live up to the rest of the game for me. I was expecting/hoping for something closer to the current website design.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I don't like the art style in P3, compared to Nocturne at least. But I am willing to play it when it comes out.

On another note, I am done with my Maymester classes and am going to have a Nocturne marathon until my next set of classes start Monday. :O

For reference, some past SMT boxart

smt1pce8yt.jpg

smt22iu.jpg

smt2psx7wx.jpg

personaj20eq.jpg

persona2is25dz.jpg

persona2epjp3pj.jpg

jGuru

Forza's and psycho_snakes official soccer ball-washer
meltpotato said:
I know im setting myself up for some pain here, but im not the biggest fan of that cover. Especially since i think this might be the most stylish game this entire gen and that cover really doesnt live up to the rest of the game for me. I was expecting/hoping for something closer to the current website design.

Yeah, they could've done better, but this is good. Although seeing the style you mentioned on the cover would've been really cool.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I played SMTII and I didn't know the PS1 remake had such an awesome cover.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Kaneko said:

this might just be one of, if not, the best covers I've ever seen! In Nocturne I was very picky about getting a Jack frost and a Angel. those are mandatory.
Once I get Metatron or Uriel, the angel can go ;)

Brobzoid

WOW! HOLD THE FUCKING PHONE!!!!

THERE IS A SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI 1 WITH KANEKO !?!?!??????

SPLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGE!!!

Error

Brobzoid said:
WOW! HOLD THE FUCKING PHONE!!!!

THERE IS A SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI 1 WITH KANEKO !?!?!??????

SPLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGE!!!
uh yeah the remakes on PS1 I believe.

I've never played ANY of these games, and I really hate myself for it.

So, help a noob. What the fuck should I play first? What's so damn cool about the games?

Brobzoid

Error2k4 said:
uh yeah the remakes on PS1 I believe.

I'm gonna devote my summer vacation(which starts tomorrow, yay! after my german exam, :/ ) to finding this game, and a playstation that can play it.

jGuru

BrandNew said:

So, help a noob. What the fuck should I play first? What's so damn cool about the games?

I'm no pro, but I can tell you to not miss Persona 2.

Brobzoid

BrandNew said:

first megaten I played was SMT 2 for snes. that was pretty cool. But now I'm gonna track down SMT1 for PS1.

I'd say play:

SMT1/2(Ps1 if possible)
Persona 2
SMT: Nocturne
DDS1/2
Devil summoner(not released yet)
Persona 3 (not released yet)
... Im probably missing alot here.

Brobzoid

Error2k4 said:
hehe good luck! those games specially the remakes are ultra rare.

damn you, don't go shitting on my parade before I've even started :(

jGuru

BrandNew said:
Wait, what is "Megaten?" Is it like a long-going series of games, similar to the likes of what the Final Fantasy series is?

Abbreviation for megami tensei games. Persona is a spin-off for the series though.

BrandNew said:
Wait, what is "Megaten?" Is it like a long-going series of games, similar to the likes of what the Final Fantasy series is?

Check out Archie's links, but here is a quick and dirty explaination:

MegaTen/SMT = Shin Megami Tensei. that is the main series with 1-3 then there are all the side-games in Persona, Digital Devil Saga, and Devil Summoner. There are more spin-series, but those are probably your main concern at this point. Generally speaking, the world is not persistant but instead something different from game to game; i.e.e Final Fantasy style. I may be a bit wrong on some technicalities as I am not farmiliar with the entire body of work and have only played a few of the games.

It's good to see more people getting interested in the SMT series. It looks like Persona 3 is really grabbing alot of peoples attention.

jGuru

I really doubt seeing SMT on the PS3 this early, maybe late 2007 or something. Probably Famitsu will publish the news.

jGuru said:
I really doubt seeing SMT on the PS3 this early, maybe late 2007 or something. Probably Famitsu will publish the news.

I just looked at when we first got screens of SMT3...It was 2 years after the PS2 was released. :/

Mau ®

SolidSnakex said:
I just looked at when we first got screens of SMT3...It was 2 years after the PS2 was released. :/

Yeah but SMT PS3 was confirmed in development like a year ago. I don't see why they wouldn't release any media at TGS...

inthezone said:
Yeah but SMT PS3 was confirmed in development like a year ago. I don't see why they wouldn't release any media at TGS...

Yah but SMT was confirmed for the PS2 in 99 and we still didn't see it until 2002.

Error

well both Kaneko and Meguro (composer of SMT games music) are not working with Persona 3, yet the Director of SMT3 is working on Persona 3.

weird... so maybe SMT4 will have a new director?

Himuro said:
For some reason I expect SMT ps3 to be multiconsole. What, with development costs rising? ATLUS ain't a higher up developer folks. I'm shocked it's not on wii myself.

I would imagine getting SMT4 on Wii with NOA standards would be a bit of a hassle. I wouldn't be incredibly suprised to see MS try to get it multiplatform to fill more hardcore gamer niches, but i also don't expect that to happen.

I'd like to see a good SMT game for DS though.. i think there is a lot of potential there.

Mau ®

Himuro said:
For some reason I expect SMT ps3 to be multiconsole. What, with development costs rising? ATLUS ain't a higher up developer folks. I'm shocked it's not on wii myself.

Wii will probably get a SMT spin off.

X360 I don't know. It would sell like 12k in Japan and probably less in other areas. Atlus must be very wary about making another SMT for MS after SMT for Xbox 1 bombed hard.

On PS3 its at least assured it'll sell on the levels of PS2 SMT.

Fuck NOA standards. Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes anyone? Resident Evil 4?

You forget these are major franchises. SMT is very far from being a top franchise.

Error

man a remake of both SMT1 and SMT2 on DS will be fucking perfect with the touchscreen and all get to it Atlus!

Himuro said:
Fuck NOA standards. Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes anyone? Resident Evil 4?

NOA, imo, will stay as far away from religion-influenced content, especially christian with an apocolyptic twist, as they possibly can. I can't think of the exact examples right now, but there are a ton from when they reined supreme with the NES and SNES. the term 1up being one of the more noteable indications.

Abel

Kaneko did the old looking art as well as the newer looking art (he's been the MegaTen artist since the beginning I believe), its just the newer looking art is his revised style of drawing whereas the old look had that more 80's feel to it. Also SMT 1 and 2 have already been ported to PS1 as well as GBA so porting again to DS might be pushing it :lol Also Kaneko is doing the demon/Persona designs for Persona 3 while Soejima is doing the character art a'la Persona 2 (I think).

Error2k4 said:
seriously NOA doesn't give a shit about game content like they did before.

yeah, exactly.

and that's true even for smaller-name titles (e.g. Killer 7 was already mentioned, and the GameCube version of BMX XXX was the LEAST edited of the three)

NichM

Banned
Himuro said:
Create a new franchise? Naw. In Japan these side games do not have the Shin Megami Tensei name on them, unlike here in North America. If anything, they're following the Japanese naming model.

Not exactly. If you visit the boards for yourself, you'll see the full official name is Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Soulless Army. It's not really a big deal; the DDS games didn't have the SMT name on them in Japan either, but no one complained when Atlus put them on the American releases for branding reasons.

No.1

Noticed someone posted their pictures of their DD1 t-shirt, just letting you know I got one too. The big orange logo isn't very appealing, but having your name in a manual is pretty cool.

On the topic of Kazuma Kaneko, anyone know a good place to purchase some Megaten posters. I love his work and I was searching last night for some decent stuff, but alas nothing.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
How was the Japan-only Xbox SMT game? (I think it was called NINE or something).

Also, I recently tried playing SMT1 (SNES), and the gameplay was terrible...such an unbelievable amount of grinding and user-unfriendliness and randomness. All was not lost though--I read through the translation FAQ and got most of the great story and setting.

Top Bottom