• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei appreciation thread

No.1

SolidSnakex said:
I think it was Bebpo that said it was pretty bad.

They cancelled the Xbox version, since it was an online game and they didn't feel that Xbox Live would work. So they shipped it to the PC instead. Well, that's what I heard at least.

Mashing

So I finished DDS2 the other day. I don't have much to say about it because everyone in this thread knows how awesome is, but I did want to say that I like DDS better than Nocturne--I prefer more story driven games and Nocturne's story was spoonybardspoonybardspoonybardspoonybarding confusing as shit--DDS was pretty out there too... but that's par for the series (my first experience with Megaten games). But I'm hooked on this series now. I doubt I'll go through the trouble to hunt down older versions but I'm definately buying the games from here on out without question.

Whatever happened to that SMT DS game that showed up on lists when the DS was first announced?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Nocturne has a great soundtrack. I enjoy the fact it dosen't try to be overly grandiose and pompus by using orchestrated music. The music sounds gritty and dirty and it matches the game world quite nicely. The second title screen song is my favorite by far. :eek:

Persona 3 Commercial 1

http://p3.atlus.co.jp/special/tvcm01.html

Persona 3 Commercial 2

http://p3.atlus.co.jp/special/tvcm02.html

And the OMG OMG OMG clip of the week

Footage of Koromaru (the dog)

http://p3.atlus.co.jp/character/chara09_mv.html

I don't know whats more awesome, the way he fights or the battle music.

koromaru5al.jpg

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
there are a lot of clips in the site, the anime cutscenes look really cool.

jGuru

Forza's and psycho_snakes official soccer ball-washer
Error2k4 said:
the battle music is rap?

and wow the animation is awesome.

Remeinds me of Samurai Champloo OST.

It's tough waiting for this gem.

Ran across Gamespots E3 impressions, they're pretty good

Persona 3 clearly has a lot to its story, which is delivered using excellent animated anime-style portraits as well as fully 3D character animations. The art style in this game is remarkable--we've never seen a Japanese RPG that seemed to put this much effort into having a slick presentation, as even all the menus have an attractive look to them.

The 3D characters running around in the great-looking fully 3D environments match their hand-drawn anime portraits very nicely. We were also amazed by what we heard of the soundtrack, though we literally needed to stick our heads against the television speaker to hear any of it (the E3 showroom floor is quite loud, you see). Driving Japanese pop music with vocals and intense bass riffs make combat sequences that much more intense. It really seems to match the game's hip, modern style.

Combat is turn-based, but interestingly enough, your party members are completely autonomous. You can give them orders, but they'll act on their own--they can even be instructed to explore environments on their own, so rather than run around like a choo-choo train through various dungeons, you can actually split up.

It's possible to use special skills (basically magic spells) to weaken enemies. Find an enemy's weakness and it'll be knocked down. Knock down all your enemies and you'll be able to initiate a great-looking team bum-rush maneuver, where the lot of you just go to town on the prone enemies, thrashing them in a huge cloud of chaos until they've all been stomped to death.

By day, things all seem OK, insofar as it must be hard being a high school kid living in modern Japan, trying to survive in a harsh social climate. There's a cool timeline that shows the passage of time--goes from "breakfast" to "after school" and things like that. Then, by night, the freaks come out and the occult overtones kick in. We controlled a trio of characters running through blood-soaked corridors--far different from the rather pleasant springtime high school scenery of the day.

There's quite a bit of Japanese speech in the game for some of the cutscenes (in one scene, the gang could be heard muttering under their breaths during an all-school meeting), so all that's going to take a while to translate into English.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/persona3/news.html?sid=6150941

I'd gues sit's like that. And for those wondering where the DS and PSP version Personas went. I was just reading a Kaneko interview summary and apparently the development teams didn't even know about them being announced. :lol

When asked by fans about the Persona series, a laughing Kaneko explained that while the company had announced PlayStation Portable and Nintendo DS installments of the popular series, the development teams were not informed about these plans.

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2006/1125.html

I don't even get how that happens. Atlus announces the game publically but doesn't actually tell the people that have to make it to...Make the games? I hope they were told that they're suppose to be working on a PS3 SMT right now.

Emotions

SolidSnakex said:
I don't even get how that happens. Atlus announces the game publically but doesn't actually tell the people that have to make it to...Make the games? I hope they were told that they're suppose to be working on a PS3 SMT right now.

There's a SMT DS too.

Emotions

SolidSnakex said:
Did you see the above quote I posted? The development team hasn't even been told to make a DS version (or a PSP version)?

I thought you were talking about Persona, but judging from the Trauma Center success, it is pretty much a given we'll get a SMT DS version, IMO.

Error2k4 said:
**** DS.

gimme SMT4 on PS3 now.

I'd like a DS version, i am not a graphics whore and there's SMT games for GBA too.

Himuro said:
No Persona 3 link will not load AT ALL for me, and I'm dying here.

Someone PLEASE rip this shit.

I've tried several times to rip it. I can't figure out a direct link to the files so I can't do it.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
been playing nocturne today and its super pissed me off. Maybe some of you can help me out:

I'm fighting Thor during some trial where I have to defeat 3 people in a row with Thor being the last. He has no weaknesses and kicks my ass all over the place. I have no one who drains or repels electricity and it seems a few of them have a weakness to electricity, but weakness or not I get pummelled to death anyway.

I considered trying to buy a demon with drain or repel electricity but I'm only level 22 and the nearest fusion one with the demons I have is level 28. That sounds like hours and hours of grinding I'm not gonna do.

Buying one theres only level 4 shikigami and level 8 asparas which sucks. its not even easy or fast to level them up to a decent level. I'm just super frustrated with this game now.

Trying to recruit some monsters in the past hour or so, I ended up spending like 3000 (bankrupt) and giving up like 10 items and only one or two joined. that ****ing sucks, those nekotamas bled me dry.

and everytime thor kills me I have to sit through the horrible death sequence, then it boots to the atlus screens, then intro movie, and another one, then load it up, get through more cut scenes and get myself arrested and beat the two demons in my way before I get to see Thor kick my ass AGAIN.

wtf!!!! this part of the game is totally ****ed up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I may seriously never play this game again. Especially if I dont clear the bit in the next 2 hours of game time.

/bitching

Error

dude!

fuse demons to make a Raiju.

a Raiju is a lv. 25 demon so you shouldn't have much trouble he is from the wilder class so you can't make him join you.

Raiju drains Electricity btw.

jGuru

Fuse my friend.

I watched the impressions back when was E3 still going on. for some reason Craig looked like he didn't no shit about the game before that.

And thanks SolidSnakex for the bit about DS/PSP Personas. Seriously, WTF? Probably Atlus wants them to focus on P3 for now.

Himuro said:
You two hang out together in Japan?

Yeah he just moved into the area so I took it upon myself to help show him around a bit. Now we try to hang out on the weekends and play some games together. I gotta head back to the states in a month or so tho...

Okay now since that is out of the way.....

OMG WTFBBQ NINJA DOG!? YES YES YES!!! GOTY BITCHES!!!

okay well maybe a tie with okami because amaterasu is pretty ninja too....

Reilly

You're going to have to level up to beat Thor (I think). Get Monomofu to evolve. Get Valkyrie if you can too. Oh oh, get Uzume with her Mediarama spell.

How did you even beat The Matador if you can't beat Thor? :lol

Mashing

Greenpanda said:
Love the dog :) reminds me of Blanca in Shadow Hearts 2

I was thinking the same thing... I just started playing that game too.

Edit: About Thor... I found that ****er much more difficult than Matador. When he starts going nuts toward the end of the fight you cannot survive. Took me couple tries to beat that bastard (I had an Uzume in my party when I finally did). It's absolutely critical to eat his press turns.

In a time when RPG's are accused of not being original, its nice to see one come along that's pretty original in every way. Hopefully this will be enough to generate P3 a good amount of hype outside of Japan.

7Th said:
There's a SMT for PS3 already announced, besides we have that Gaia game already in development.

There's a new Gaia game announced? For what system?

jGuru

7Th said:
There's a SMT for PS3 already announced, besides we have that Gaia game already in development.

Gaia as in Illusions of Gaia?

jGuru

7Th said:
Gaia as in the "independient" company by SMT's Kouji Okada.

Oh I see. I just noticed that also on the page you provided above. Thanks.

Error

my only complaint after seeing those vids is that the battle music is too ****ing low.

Error

the clip that the hero's persona goes Eva 01 on a monster ****ing rox.

>_< I want this game now.

jGuru

Error2k4 said:
the clip that the hero's persona goes Eva 01 on a monster ****ing rox.

>_< I want this game now.

Yeah, IIRC, it was the same as the one on the cover.

The official site updated today, although not with any media from what I can tell. It talks about how their "The Night Before" P3 mini game has already received 10k sign ups They also discuss the soundtrack

persona3jacke8eb.jpg

http://www.aniplex.co.jp/persona3/

It'll be released on July 19th (a week after P3 is released). And it apparently is being composed by Shoji Meguro (SMT3, DDS ect). That site looks like it'll be updating some time with atleast 1 track from the game.

And I must've overlooked this when I took the little clips from the official site, but here's a couple that I didn't include in that other zip

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=6C5E96BF4E6EBD8B

Error

damn shoji meguro doing P3 ost too?

what I heard sounds very good, the Devil Summoner was pretty cool too.

Shoji rox.

Top Bottom