• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei appreciation thread

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
In case anyone is interested after my earlier rant - I beat Thor within an hour of gametime so I have continued playing Nocturne. Its good. I had to sell loads of stuff to buy a demon to fuse with an existing demon and then fuse that demon with another in the area to get the right one, without all that it was impossible and I stumbled on it by blind luck....still feel like it was almost a design flaw. So many different combinations to get different monsters, no way to really sit down and mathmatically formulate a solution to get the one creature you want (that I am aware of).

Anyway I'm on my way to completing it now and then bring on the others in the series.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Soooo... my DDS embryon t-shirt came in the mail today. currently celebrating by raping the matador.

Brobzoid

Himuro said:
**** you too bitch! :(

This is a glorious day! You must understand how limb-cocked I've felt all these years watching what the japanese and the americans get because they pre-ordered the game...

SCHADENFREUE >:)

Brobzoid

no. You've had the entire SMT cataloge. We BARELY got SMT3. and now DDS, finally it's looking stabile for us crazy europeans.

Brobzoid

Himuro said:
We don't have the entire SMT catalouge. We only have Persona 1, Persona 2: EP, SMT3, DDS 1+2, and Demi Kids.

do not try to argue that your position sucks Mr 60-hz-on-all-games! you think it's fun to play MGS3 in 10 fps? or tekken? I can't play the pal ver because the timing is shit-off.

standarize 60hz globally ffs!!!

kaizoku said:
In case anyone is interested after my earlier rant - I beat Thor within an hour of gametime so I have continued playing Nocturne. Its good. I had to sell loads of stuff to buy a demon to fuse with an existing demon and then fuse that demon with another in the area to get the right one, without all that it was impossible and I stumbled on it by blind luck....still feel like it was almost a design flaw. So many different combinations to get different monsters, no way to really sit down and mathmatically formulate a solution to get the one creature you want (that I am aware of).

Anyway I'm on my way to completing it now and then bring on the others in the series.

Do you have buffing or debuffing spells? Those spells are the bread and butter of the Nocturne world. Makes things a whole lot easier. You might want to check out the fusion chart at gamefaqs as well. Although, when I played, I just randomly fused whatever demons that had higher stats then my current demons. Just make sure as team your hero and demons have a set of spells that include healing, buffing and elementals. Later when you get powerful you can ditch the elemental spells and go for pure physical. Hades blast + victory cry=ownage. In the new game+ the level limit is lifted and you can fuse level 255 demons and at that level, hades blast does 800 damge.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
kaizoku said:

there is a demon in the second kalpa that gives you 250,000 macca.

Reilly

kaizoku said:

Recruit every demon possible that you come across. The more demons you have to choose from, the more demons you can make. Also, you'll want to level up some of the better demons for they have good spells/abilities that you'll want to fuse into new/better demons.

Error

Reilly said:
have fun getting it :lol

>_>

<_<
easy with the demon you can buy on kalpa 1, think it's a Pisaca with a shitload of useful abilities, it has a 100% escape ability called trafuri.

assuming of course that you don't get ambush in which case if you do get ambushed you are ****ed

edit: I like how this thread was two pages long like 1 week ago now it's 7 pages long makes me feel good. :)

No.1

At least some of us (PAL gamers) will have our names in the DDS manual unlike some places :D

Brobzoid said:
no. You've had the entire SMT cataloge. We BARELY got SMT3. and now DDS, finally it's looking stabile for us crazy europeans.

I only hope that's true. It seems as though Ghostlight want to take on the franchise, but shipping them out is taking forever. SMT3 took a while, and as has DDS. I can only imagine how long DDS2 will take. And I hope that we actually get Persona 3.

And here i thought i was the only person who was highly anticipating the PAL release of the DDS. A friend of mine emailed Ghostlight about DDS2 No.1, and turns out that they havent even got the rights yet to release DDS2 :(

Also Himuro, in case you were curious about the DDS PAL shirts, i took a temp dodgy pic for a friend of mine when my shirt arrived last week:

Front:
sfront6nw.jpg

Back:
sback2vf.jpg

Now only to wait a few more weeks for the "special edition" DDS box.

Brobzoid

sub_zer0 said:
And here i thought i was the only person who was highly anticipating the PAL release of the DDS. A friend of mine emailed Ghostlight about DDS2 No.1, and turns out that they havent even got the rights yet to release DDS2 :(

Also Himuro, in case you were curious about the DDS PAL shirts, i took a temp dodgy pic for a friend of mine when my shirt arrived last week:

Now only to wait a few more weeks for the "special edition" DDS box.

lol, are everybody going embryo? I should have taken the Solids :(

But I haven't met them in the game yet, so I don't know how that would look :(

Yazan

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ****ing Sony!

Received this mail for about an hour ago:

"It is my unfortunate responsibility to inform you that due to problems highlighted during the Sony submission process, the release date for Digital Devil Saga has slipped by a month to 28th July 2006.

We are working around the clock to get these issues fixed, and are doing our best to bring this forward."

Brobzoid

:(

ultimate sadface...

buuuut that gives me some time with my backlog ;)

which is big as hell :\

Buggy Loop

Originally bought nocturne on day 1, played about 15 hours before giving up, thanks to a goddamn boss that was way too frustrating, but since it was my first SMT game, i guess it was to be expected, weird spell names and all that, plus not knowing much about which demon for what and what i could create with the fusion system, i was a newb (still am).

im about 36 hours into DDS though and i love it, serph's mastered the null physic and he's currently learning the null attack one @ 2m atma points (yikes). But i would like to maximize him fully for DDS2 bonus, where's the BEST place to hunt for atma? I have all sectors opened, im up to the 4th big saving point in the tower, which is probably close to the ending.

Brobzoid

Buggy Loop said:
Originally bought nocturne on day 1, played about 15 hours before giving up, thanks to a goddamn boss that was way too frustrating, but since it was my first SMT game, i guess it was to be expected, weird spell names and all that, plus not knowing much about which demon for what and what i could create with the fusion system, i was a newb (still am).

im about 36 hours into DDS though and i love it, serph's mastered the null physic and he's currently learning the null attack one @ 2m atma points (yikes). But i would like to maximize him fully for DDS2 bonus, where's the BEST place to hunt for atma? I have all sectors opened, im up to the 4th big saving point in the tower, which is probably close to the ending.

you get something in DDS2 for maxing out serph in DDS1??

don't tell me what, I'm on it. DAY 1!

SolidSnakex said:
New character unveiled today. It's Aegis

aegis7vc.jpg

I'm really liking the design. Definetly one of my favorites in this game, possibly the series. Here are the updated movies, includes 2 from Aegis, and videos for Ken, Akihiko and Junpei

http://rapidshare.de/files/22608133/Persona_3_Movies_3.rar.html

haha!!! Awesome! I watched the video where she is introduced, I love how junbei(guy with the cap) reacts. "K-Kawaii...kedo...robo nandayona." Damn hilarious....

english trans: "S-She's cute...but a robot....damn" or something like that.

Love this game, day one buy.

Brobzoid

someone rehost the new vids please? I hate rapidshare and rapidshare hates me.

:(

Crystalkoen

kaizoku said:

Just to get this out there... make sure you purchase every Magatama you come across in the Item shops. By the Thor fight, you should have your first row of the list completely filled, allowing you to have one that Drains Elec, weak vs. Force... made Thor a joke, he can't touch your main character, and you just waste him. Doesn't require as much "Locate X Demon, Locate Y Demon, Level them up, Fuse them" shit.

I must say, I love EVERYTHING I've seen about Persona 3. I'm hoping the localization is really good.

EDIT: Nevermind.

7Th

A short question... is DSS worth getting if I already own the second part? I really enjoyed it, not on the same level as Nocturne but excellent nevertheless, yet never played the first episode.

Buggy Loop

Brobzoid said:
you get something in DDS2 for maxing out serph in DDS1??

don't tell me what, I'm on it. DAY 1!

Well not just serph, every characters can get the bonus, here from GF

Parameter Bonus Points
----------------------

This depends on what Mantra each of your character has mastered in that
DDS: AT saved data.

------------------------------------------------------------------
'God of Destruction' Mantra mastered = Power+2, Speed+1
'Demon King' Mantra mastered = Magic+2, Luck+1
'Demon God' Mantra mastered = Vitality+2, Speed+1, Luck+1
'Divine Spirit' Mantra mastered = All parameter+1
'One And Only God' Mantra mastered = All parameter+1
Every Mantra mastered = All parameter+1
------------------------------------------------------------------

For example, if your charaters mastered all Mantra in DDS: AT, then the
characters in DDS: AT2 should get a total of 5 bonus points in each area to
start off. That is 5*5=25 bonus points for each. To elaborate a bit more on
this, here is more examples with the early members in the game:

Depending on which answer choices you make in DDS1 you can also get heat in DDS2, unique skills for argilla and another one , if you have 1M makka you will also get 20 000$ rather than 10 000 in DDS2 for your tag ring.

5+ all stats is pretty damn awesome, worth maxing at least serph's mantra grid.

7Th said:
A short question... is DSS worth getting if I already own the second part? I really enjoyed it, not on the same level as Nocturne but excellent nevertheless, yet never played the first episode.

Why not, its the story that built to DDS2 and from the little i've watched of DDS2 (just watched the intro but didnt want to spoil further since im not done with DDS1), they're very different settings, DDS1 seems a lot darker.

So, anyone going to answer my question? where's the best place to farm AP in DDS1 ; ;

Reilly

Crystalkoen said:
By the Thor fight, you should have your first row of the list completely filled, allowing you to have one that Drains Elec, weak vs. Force... made Thor a joke, he can't touch your main character, and you just waste him.

You don't get the Anti-Elec Magatama until you beat Thor.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I've gotten confused from this series-

I own Nocturne. Could someone post the order yous should play these games in? (Just for the PS2 titles).

I dug Nocturne, but gave it up about 1/8th in.

Altermo

FlyinJ said:
I see. Well, could someone list the games, from best to worst?

It seems Nocturne is considered the best?

Well, I like DDS more than Nocturne. Simply because of the gorgeous presentation.

FlyinJ said:
I see. Well, could someone list the games, from best to worst?

It seems Nocturne is considered the best?

I like Nocturne better than the DDS games, personally. It's more challenging, though, so if you'd prefer a simpler introduction to the series (if you gave up w/ Nocturne because it was too hard), you might prefer to start with a DDS game.

The two DDS games ARE related, so you'd probably want to play DDS1 before DDS2.

There's also Devil Summoner coming out later this year. It's not connected to any of the other games ... but it also hasn't been released (in English) yet ;). So I can't comment on its quality.

jGuru

Forza's and psycho_snakes official soccer ball-washer
The character looks ok, not my fav though. Kudos SSX for the videos.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Which Devil Summoner are we getting in the US later this year? DS3?

jGuru

Forza's and psycho_snakes official soccer ball-washer
SumGamer said:
I don't think this is old.
http://www.atlus.co.jp/cs/game/pstation2/persona3/movie/movie03.lzh
New Persona 3 trailer. Reveal the last character @1.30 m and some other never seen before characters.

After watching this trailer I want those Soundtrack now :(

Also: other clips added as well but I don't know which one is new to you guys. Koromaru second one is so cute though :)
Downloading. Thanks.

Error

trailer is 80% anime 20% gameplay. much like the other ones.

still duckroll talked about this game on the GAF channel and it sounds like the best jRPG ever.

...So...

I finally found a copy of SMT: Nocturne (had a chance to buy it when it came out and said "I'll just get it later" Mistake!). This game was a blast to play, though it wasn't difficult at all on Normal (I beat the shit out of the "secret boss" without breaking a sweat). I'm hoping it is much worse on Hard, which I'm going to start after I finish off my Compendium. I was expecting SOE3 4D levels of difficulty, but it is rather clear the game isn't anywhere near that unfortunately. Though outside of the (so far) disappointing difficulty, I loved most everything about the game, and I plan to get the rest of the avalable SMT games as soon as possible (though I understand they are a bit different than this one).

Fan +1

Reilly

My Arms Your Hearse said:
...So...

I finally found a copy of SMT: Nocturne (had a chance to buy it when it came out and said "I'll just get it later" Mistake!). This game was a blast to play, though it wasn't difficult at all on Normal (I beat the shit out of the "secret boss" without breaking a sweat). I'm hoping it is much worse on Hard, which I'm going to start after I finish off my Compendium. I was expecting SOE3 4D levels of difficulty, but it is rather clear the game isn't anywhere near that unfortunately. Though outside of the (so far) disappointing difficulty, I loved most everything about the game, and I plan to get the rest of the avalable SMT games as soon as possible (though I understand they are a bit different than this one).

Fan +1

I found DDS to be harder than Nocturne :/ (althought it's not a true SMT game)

I didn't technically have to use level 99+ Shiva, Metatron, and Beelzebub, but I didn't want all my hard work to go to waste!

(not that there is anything too special about them, all I need them for is to buff me and heal me while I dish out 10,000+ every other turn... with a few choice voids that can be found on lots of demons)

I think I'm going to selectively gimp myself on my next playthrough so Hero won't be an unstoppable god.

(I might try again without Masakados equipped)

I do think a game that purports to be "difficult" (not necessarily saying this one does absolutley, but that is the general view), should be difficult no matter what you have equipped/whatever, and maybe/hopefully this one is on Hard mode (we will see). Even the guy's super attack didn't take off half my life...

Reilly

I think Nocturne would be really hard if you never looked at faqs and/or never played a SMT game before. There's a lot of things in that game (demon fusing, kalpa secrets etc...) that would be near impossible (or too time consuming) to figure out on your own.

Error

did you use the fiends? they make the game a ****load easier.

try not using them if you want to test the difficulty of the game.

Reilly said:
I think Nocturne would be really hard if you never looked at faqs and/or never played a SMT game before. There's a lot of things in that game (demon fusing, kalpa secrets etc...) that would be near impossible (or too time consuming) to figure out on your own.

This is true, but I don't really consider using guides for complex RPGs to be "cheating" because as you point out, there is pretty much no way to figure out some of that stuff reasonably. This was the first SMT game I've played. I mostly used programs to build fiends... there are only a few actually tricky fights in the game (which I'll admit might have taken me a bit to iron out).

I only used one fiend, Mother Harlot, for a single fight (Beelzebub). I would have won without her.

I really do wish more games/RPGs took challenges to the utter extreme like SOE3 (which I love, though I realize most of GAF hates the game... but I don't care about the story and the combat is fine to me). The difficulty is one of the reasons I'm so crazy about DMC3.

duckroll

We must know the truth. Which studio is animating the anime FMVs for Persona 3? There must be an answer! :lol

Possible candidates:

- Madhouse
- Mangrove
- Production IG
- GONZO

SOMEONE MUST KNOW!!!!!

Top Bottom