• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei appreciation thread

WalkMan

Banned
Wtf? I found Nocturne to be incredibly difficult. Digital Devil on the otherhand I'm having a blast with and isn't too hard, though more difficult than what I'm used to.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
duckroll said:
We must know the truth. Which studio is animating the anime FMVs for Persona 3? There must be an answer! :lol

Possible candidates:

- Madhouse
- Mangrove
- Production IG
- GONZO

SOMEONE MUST KNOW!!!!!
which of those studio do you think it is? I think it's gonzo.

jGuru

Forza's and psycho_snakes official soccer ball-washer
duckroll said:
We must know the truth. Which studio is animating the anime FMVs for Persona 3? There must be an answer! :lol

Possible candidates:

- Madhouse
- Mangrove
- Production IG
- GONZO

SOMEONE MUST KNOW!!!!!

It might be GONZO.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
My Arms Your Hearse said:
For those with issues fusing demons in Nocturne, try this:

http://www.popanime.net/megami/other/smt_fusion.zip

It is a program that lets you input pretty much any two demons and see the resulting fusion. It also has the (superior) feature of allowing you to choose a demon and then see what is required to make it (all possibilities - isn't totally complete I don't think, but mostly).

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/shin_megami_tensei_nocturne_fusion.png

isn't that the same, only easier and more accessable?

I so want to get into this series once I get a PS3 (currently don't have a PS2). These games look fantastic and full of mythology + folklore.

7Th

duckroll said:

Possible candidates:

- Madhouse
- Mangrove
- Production IG
- GONZO

SOMEONE MUST KNOW!!!!!

Looks too stiff to be IG or MadHouse and lacks enough CGI to be from Gonzo.

Brobzoid

SumGamer said:
Don't direct link gamefaqs content. It doesn't work.

sorry, I don't have a imagebucket or photoaccount online, so you're gonna have to deal with it ;)

not that it is so hard to find either though

SumGamer

Brobzoid said:
sorry, I don't have a imagebucket or photoaccount online, so you're gonna have to deal with it ;)

not that it is so hard to find either though

Mmm no that's not what I meant. You can just link to the page where the content is held, that should work. I don't have the game yet as well. :/

jGuru

Forza's and psycho_snakes official soccer ball-washer
Nice scans, thanks.

Himuro said:
Is that fusion or is the lead character using Jack brothers in a combo attack?

I think it's a combo attack. You can see the characters stats in there, which means that the scene is inside a battle.

Persona 3 just keeps looking better and better--I'm getting really excited about this one. And despite my initial hesitancy about the SD-ish characters, the character designs are really good.

It seems like there's quite a few party members. (8?) I wonder if they'll be switchable or if (like the prior Persona games) they'll just be determined by your position in the story.

Greenpanda said:
It seems like there's quite a few party members. (8?) I wonder if they'll be switchable or if (like the prior Persona games) they'll just be determined by your position in the story.

Probably by story. Although since alot of the characters go to school together that might allow you to choose through them anytime you want.

I think we can all agree that it'll be disappointing if gun carrying Jesus isn't a playable character

persona2cg.gif

Error

SolidSnakex said:
Probably by story. Although since alot of the characters go to school together that might allow you to choose through them anytime you want.

I think we can all agree that it'll be disappointing if gun carrying Jesus isn't a playable character

persona2cg.gif
:lol

those scans looks effing hoooooooooooooot I'm so torn I dunno whether to import or wait for the 2007 release date :(

duckroll

Okay, in the latest Animation Note there's an interview which clears up the animation of Persona 3. The animation director is Yukio Takatsu and the animation is being handled by a small creative company he heads called Point Pictures. They mostly do animation and illustration work for smaller games. Yukio Takatsu recently did character design work for Riveria.

Edit: Whoops, its in Animation Note, not Dengeki. Heheh.

birdchili

Reilly said:
I think Nocturne would be really hard if you never looked at faqs and/or never played a SMT game before. There's a lot of things in that game (demon fusing, kalpa secrets etc...) that would be near impossible (or too time consuming) to figure out on your own.

SMT:Nocturne is very do-able on hard with no faq, though I'd agree it's pretty difficult compared to most modern rpgs. Excepting a few miscellaneous insta-deaths due to surprise attacks, I only died a few times post-
Matador (who killed me twice (or perhaps thrice?) before I bested him (what a glorious victory that was))
. I used fiends a bit, though hardly extensively, and was using a "coolest-looking-demons" policy as much as anything, so powergaming the system was hardly foremost on my mind.

The only other SMT game I've touched is Persona:EP, which I rented for a weekend, loved, and never finished:( P3 is yet another game with random encounters I'm going to end up buying (I really want to stop supporting the random-enocounter games, but they keep making such good'uns:).

Brobzoid

:lol

so earlier today I was pwning all sorts of ass on the
matador
and I beat him just as a friend of mine rang the doorbell. So, me thinking I could just breeze over him later, turned off the console and left. So now, I get fisted everytime I attemt to fight him :((( he is such an asshole >:'(

Brobzoid said:

No, the program is vastly superior. Not only do you not have to squint your eyes, it actually tells you the names of the specific demons so there is no trial and error. The chart just lists the demon families, and then you can average the levels and such yourself... at any rate, the program is exponentially faster and more helpful.

WalkMan

Banned
Abel said:
New Persona 3 Scans

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/4377/persona3scan355vp.jpg

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/4922/persona3scan360ov.jpg

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/4586/persona3scan371mw.jpg

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/4888/persona3scan380fz.jpg

Loving the world map, very Persona 2-esque :D Also is it just me or does Takaya's
yellow eyes make me think Nyarlathotep? (Also he kind of resembles Time Count)
I'm going to go through Persona:EP again, followed by Persona 2 just for this. We have one more month
till Japanese release

Hunter D

Would anyone besides me be willing to pay $100 for a Persona 3 special edition that would be packaged with persona 1 and both persona 2's?

Error

Hunter D said:
Would anyone besides me be willing to pay $100 for a Persona 3 special edition that would be packaged with persona 1 and both persona 2's?
I would if it includes lots of extra shit like music cd with tracks from all 3 games an art book and a neat packinging.

7Th

birdchili said:
I used fiends a bit, though hardly extensively, and was using a "coolest-looking-demons" policy as much as anything, so powergaming the system was hardly foremost on my mind.

:lol I thought I was the only one who use that.

My Arms Your Hearse said:
...So...

I finally found a copy of SMT: Nocturne (had a chance to buy it when it came out and said "I'll just get it later" Mistake!). This game was a blast to play, though it wasn't difficult at all on Normal (I beat the shit out of the "secret boss" without breaking a sweat). I'm hoping it is much worse on Hard, which I'm going to start after I finish off my Compendium. I was expecting SOE3 4D levels of difficulty, but it is rather clear the game isn't anywhere near that unfortunately. Though outside of the (so far) disappointing difficulty, I loved most everything about the game, and I plan to get the rest of the avalable SMT games as soon as possible (though I understand they are a bit different than this one).

Fan +1

The "secret boss" is the biggest puss in the whole game.

blackadde

so, er, where's the best place to level endgame in smt:n ? i'm at around 84 and at the very end, but don't think i can take the final (hidden) boss. please tell me i won't have to grind 10+ levels in the tower ... :eek:

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Finally got a hold of a copy. Well, not really. I ordered it on Amazon and it's coming. I went to look for it at the mall and they said they sold out on Saturday. It's so hard to find in stores...

Nocturne that is.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Persona 2 is still the best SMT game, if you ask me. That`s probably why I`m looking forward to P3 over any other RPG in the next year. 9 more days...

Is it jsut me or does anyone else thing Revolver Jesus, although cool as hell, looks kinda weird in-game? i.e. Huge head of hair that sort of makes him look out of place amongst the other characters.

Error

TheTrin said:
Persona 2 is still the best SMT game, if you ask me. That`s probably why I`m looking forward to P3 over any other RPG in the next year. 9 more days...
dude...

don't do that :(

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Does anyone know if P3 will have fusion spells like Persona 2? The coolest thing in the world was discovering overpowered fusion spells on accident, because they would ruin bosses when you least expect it.

Error

Does anyone know if P3 will have fusion spells like Persona 2? The coolest thing in the world was discovering overpowered fusion spells on accident, because they would ruin bosses when you least expect it.

fusion5tz.jpg

?

I have a question...have we seen the persona 3 cover?

I just found this one:
B000EY2ZT6.09.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

But I think I saw another one with the 3 protagonists in a class...

EDIT: Thats not a real review hell...its like a parody of Famitsu with 4 of the persona 3 characters...I think.

Error

isn't famitsu review supposed to come out this week? since the game is getting released next week. not that I care but still... err you know :p

duckroll

Error2k4 said:
isn't famitsu review supposed to come out this week? since the game is getting released next week. not that I care but still... err you know :p

Tomorrow. Patience young jedi...

Error

I don't care if it's old it deserves to be posted

the game takes place over a full, 365 day year (which Atlus had stated should last about 50 hours of game play). During school time, weekdays are filled up with classes, tests and even sick days. After-school clubs and activities are available for the characters to participate in. You can make plans with others for weekends, vacations and holidays or just spend your time wandering about town shopping, participating in events (such as Sports Meets) or even just talking.

Your relationship with others in the game, referred to as "Community", affects your character's chances against the Shadow. A better Community level allows you to summon more powerful Personas. This is quite different from the more simple level requirements present in previous Persona games, seemingly allowing gameplay to focus more on character development as opposed to just plain level grinding. In a column on the Persona 3 website, the creators briefly discuss the idea that they wanted a realistic idea of what it is like to be a kid in school and as such decided that it was important to focus on these daily activities and characters beyond just fighting.

best RPG ever confirmed.

my only fear now is that apperantly you only have control of the hero in battles :(

I hope that isn't the case.

thetrin

I really like the community idea. It`s badass. It adds a sense of story to advancing, rather than the boring grinding in an abandoned haunted high school, which was the low point of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (an otherwise fantastic RPG).

Top Bottom