• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I get gaming PC?

David B

An Idiot
Right now I want a gaming PC. But at the same time I don't want to get one because even games that say full controller support don't really have full controller support. The menus still require keyboard and mouse in tons of games on PC. Now sure the campaign story and multiplayer support the controller, but the menus and customization of options still require keyboard and mouse. Which to me totally sucks. I want the entire freaking game to have controller support! But the only way to have full controller support, even in the menus is with a console. Black Ops 3, Black Ops 2, Black Ops, Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil 6, played them all on PC, but again menus never worked with my controller, only kb and m. Start game story and controller supported of course. It's just a big hassle to me and I don't like it. Which is why I think overall it would probably be better just to stick with consoles because I like controller way more and also the big TV.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Right now I want a gaming PC. But at the same time I don't want to get one because even games that say full controller support don't really have full controller support. The menus still require keyboard and mouse in tons of games on PC. Now sure the campaign story and multiplayer support the controller, but the menus and customization of options still require keyboard and mouse. Which to me totally sucks. I want the entire freaking game to have controller support! But the only way to have full controller support, even in the menus is with a console. Black Ops 3, Black Ops 2, Black Ops, Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil 6, played them all on PC, but again menus never worked with my controller, only kb and m. Start game story and controller supported of course. It's just a big hassle to me and I don't like it. Which is why I think overall it would probably be better just to stick with consoles because I like controller way more and also the big TV.
most games support controller on PC and the ones that don't can be configured to work with Steam Input.

If that's too much of a hassle for you I can understand staying on console though. I would rather not be pushy about it

Last edited:

INC

Gold Member
Steam allows you to use controller support on all games, with custom mapping

Milage may vary with how decent it works.

My mate uses controller only on games like grey zone etc etc, not the best but it works

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Personally, I'm going to wait to see what MS is doing with their next system since the rumors are that they're basically creating something that covers exactly what you're asking for. It's rumored to be a console-ish experience with PC stores.

Up to you though. Just a question on what you want and how long you want to wait for a rumor.

Shtef

Gold Member
Why do you want pc? Is it for higher fps, better graphics and customizable settings, or you want to play some exclusive pc games? If answer is yes for both questions than yes you should get a pc.

If you use steam big picture mode you can navigate, play games, exit games and shutdown pc without need of a keyboard or mouse, thats how i am doing it.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
ive literally gamed on a gaming pc hooked up in my family room without a keyboard for years. You may need one every now and then to deal with windows issues but for the most part just set steam to launch on boot in big picture mode.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Nah, I went to play Civilization 7 or 15 on my laptop in work to kill my lunchtimes and have run into nothing but fucking issues, my colleague who has the fact same laptop plays perfectly, mine runs like dog shit, no idea why

You will run into the occasional half supported controller games.
The recent Still Wakes the Deep I had to grab my mouse to get into the option screen. :(

edit-I use a trackball as it requires no desk real estate and can be used on the arm of a rocker recliner. I don't use the trackball when gaming because that would be awful, I use the controller.

Last edited:

Jaybe

Gold Member
You’ve said the reasons why you don’t want a gaming PC (having to use a keyboard and mouse), but what are the reasons you want one? Without those, seems like you just want simplicity. For what it’s worth, I used a wireless keyboard and pad combo when I had my PC hooked up to the TV for the rare uses it was required such as launching certain games.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Don't believe the lies. PC is not and never will be as seamless and smooth on a big screen comfy couch setup than a console. It can be done, but you'll have to take out the mouse and keyboard sometimes, probably more often than you'd like.

It sounds like you just want a console, so why not just stick with that? If your first priority is convenience and a good big screen TV interface, a conssole gets you that and a PC does not, end of story.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Nah, I went to play Civilization 7 or 15 on my laptop in work to kill my lunchtimes and have run into nothing but fucking issues, my colleague who has the fact same laptop plays perfectly, mine runs like dog shit, no idea why
Sounds like you are either playing with the laptop unplugged, or using the integrated GPU instead of the dedicated one.

You may want to consider just getting a Steam Deck. You can see on protondb.com how games run on it and you can download community made controller support profiles if the default one doesn't do it for you. It's also a much easier investment if you're not completely sure. The LCD one is currently 15% off too. I got the 1TB OLED though

Last edited:

Jaybe

Gold Member
You may want to consider just getting a Steam Deck. You can see on protondb.com how games run on it and you can download community made controller support profiles if the default one doesn't do it for you. It's also a much easier investment if you're not completely sure.
Plus the Deck has a touchscreen if I’m not mistaken, so at least a mouse shouldn’t be needed (in theory)

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I don't remember the last time I played a controller game on PC that didn't support the controller on the menu. Maybe some old games with crummy ports but nothing modern in many years.

I'm gonna assume you'd want it as a beefy console that you stick under your TV, turn on and boot straight into Steam big picture. It's perfectly feasible even if you need to keep a wireless KBM on hand under your coffee table when necessary. But at the same time I'm not sure I understand the point in paying for a gaming PC to never play any KBM only games. Does your TV even support high framerates? Not exactly super common yet.

Last edited:

Durin

It's getting rarer that games with controller support don't let you navigate menus with one to play, but in the cases where that happens, you can solve that with Steam input.

You can set a bind on your pad like tapping the Xbox button twice turns your sticks into moving the mouse cursor, and the triggers into mouse buttons, then double tap to revert back to standard game pad input controls.

If that sounds too annoying, and the games you want you're running into that ALL the time then consoles might be better.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
A lot of older games don't have controller support. If you wan't to play your pc games on your Tv you can use Steam big bicture, but overall it sounds that you would better off with a console. So no. And PCs are much more expensive than consoles these days.

You can play all games with a controller on Steam. Dualsense I find isn't widely supported like the Xbox controller but I just select the best community layout and I'm good to go. No issues and works a charm.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
also what do you even want a PC for? what does it offer that makes you want to switch? if there's no reason for you really I don't see the point

Ulysses 31

Gold Member
I don't know how deep your pockets are OP but Falcon Northwest makes some impressive pre-built PC systems.

Falcon_Northwest_Custom_PC_Designs_2023_-_1200x630.jpg

falcon-nw-e1663055764930.png

Fragbox-v4-Airflow.mp4-high.gif

Last edited:

Damigos

A good PC for Steam/Gamepass/Epic Free games/Nintendo emulators and a PS5 for all PS4/PS5 exclusives and PS Extra/premium Subscription is all you need.
I think this covers all thats a must for modern gaming.

You’ve said the reasons why you don’t want a gaming PC (having to use a keyboard and mouse), but what are the reasons you want one? Without those, seems like you just want simplicity. For what it’s worth, I used a wireless keyboard and pad combo when I had my PC hooked up to the TV for the rare uses it was required such as launching certain games.
But why you want a PC? You only mentioned the reasons you don't want one.
This is the most important question. Why do you want a gaming PC?

Almost everyone I know IRL who bought a gaming PC because they basically just wanted a prettier, faster console experience ended up going back to console.
I know a few people like this as well. Now the people that got into PC because they wanted to experience different things have either kept their PC or moved entirely to PC.

If you simply want a console experience that's prettier with higher frame rates then you might not enjoy it as much as you think you would. It's a great experience but it's different then console though there are ways to make it more "console like".

As someone that was pc gaming during the DOS glory days and beyond, I was pretty excited when I bought my pc.
It was right when the bitcoin mining craze was hitting, and I got a great deal on a pre built with a brand new gtx1080. lmao, 8gb of vram seemed insane to me at the time, but I figured I’d “future-proof” myself for Star Citizen. I was super hyped to go back to mouse/kb for first person games as well.
I used it pretty regularly for the first year or so, but it gradually kinda fell by the wayside until it ended up being an expensive Minecraft/Roblox rig for the kids.
I do miss a lot of the smaller titles that don’t see console ports, I’ve been thinking about a Steam Deck or something similar to get that fix.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I mean, I am sure you can play Age of Empires II with a controller, since Microsoft made an Xbox version of the Age 2 DE.

The question rather is: Why would you ever want to?
Same reason people want to play shooters with controllers and to navigate menus with dpads or analog sticks. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

that's why I don't have a gaming pc any more. It's all console ports now. ;)

Back in the day, you bought a pc to game because of all the great games made for pc that weren't on console.

Nowadays...you really only get a pc to play console games at higher resolutions and frame rates. ;)

Last edited:

Holammer

I dunno about OPs claim of games requiring m+kb to navigate menus in-game. Where the hell did that come from? That was a thing maybe 3-4+ years ago, today I find it's common with full controller support in new Steam games. Even feckin' Balatro comes with full controller support and it's a rogue-like card game. Many even come with DualSense support with correct glyphs, haptics and such. I played 233h of Helldivers 2 without ever using the mouse.

Perrott

Order a 512GB Steam Deck OLED right fucking now, and tomorrow start grabbing games from the Steam Summer Sale for when your Deck arrives.

BlackTron

Gold Member
Just get a little wireless mouse. It doesn't take up any space and will solve 90% of the issues.

I also have a small bluetooth keyboard which hardly gets used because the mouse is fine for launching games, menu screens, the occasional headshot, whatever.

Fredrik

Sounds like you’ve already made up your mind. So do what you planned to do.

Anyhow I made the full swap to PC recently and I love it. Not being able to use the controllers is extremely rare but using a wireless keyboard with mouse pad takes away 99% of all control problems.

Biggest problem for me is the cost. I’ve accepted that I have to invest in stocks between upgrades to deal with it, there is no way I could afford it using work salary.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
that's why I don't have a gaming pc any more. It's all console ports now. ;)

Back in the day, you bought a pc to game because of all the great games made for pc that weren't on console.

Nowadays...you really only get a pc to play console games at higher resolutions and frame rates. ;)
All that RTSs, WoWs and shooters that we play with non handicapped stick controllers instead of problematic mouse&kb/VR controllers.

Top Bottom