• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I get gaming PC?

David B

An Idiot
Pretty much 100% of games I play on PC (where I play everything), I play with controller, and controller works in their menus. Not sure what bizzare issues you have OP.
I hooked up my Xbox elite series 2 controller to my Mac, running parallels 19, Windows 11 ARM and it plays a lot of my games on steam and my controller worked in the games playing area, but again doesn't work in the menus ever. Tried what I listed for games. Menus, nothing, controller don't work.

The fact alone that you have to program what button works for what action alone is a big trouble and a big reason not to get a gaming PC.
Or the fact that you can play all those games most of which aren't on console on PC and even with a controller should you choose is the reason to get a PC. At the end of the day what matters is the games and PC has the most games, all Switch games, all Xbox games and most Sony games. Seems to me PC is the platform to get should you be ok PC gaming.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
My kneejerk reaction is hell yeah. I have a high end gaming PC and my consoles are now paperweights, unless there's an exclusive I just absolutely cannot wait for.

If you want a more thoughtful answer, Id say what are your gaming habits?

- If its primarily going to be a Call of Duty machine... the juice might not be worth the squeeze. CoD already looks and runs great on console and controller mops up kbm now.

- If you think you'll be more of a variety gamer, PC makes its case more. Especially if its a game getting 30 frames on console. I absolutely hate poor framerates, it drives me nuts. For me it can completely make or break a game. Take Dragons Dogma 2 for example, for my picky ass... that game would be considered unplayable on console, slogging around 30 or sub 30 frames. My pc consistently runs it at over 60 frames and its a GOTY year contender. So I got to play enjoy a GOTY caliber game that I wouldn't even of attempted on console. Granted... thats personal preference. 30 and sub 30 frames might not bug ya.

- Different types of games. There are entire genres of games on PC that cant really exist on console (stretegy, empire bulding, etc). The Total War series for example is one my all time favorite series. You might not even know what gems youre missing out on not having access to these.

- Mods. Mods can completely reinvigorate a game. I just replayed the entire mass effect series with a complete graphical & combat overhaul. 4k textures, raytracing reshade, more responsive and tweaked combat mechanics... ME1 looked absolutely incredible. It was like a new experience for one of my all time favorite series. You said you like Resident Evil... its got a million wild ass mods haha. With varying level of degeneracy if thats your thing lol.

- For controller support... the majority of even semi-recent games are going to have contoller support. I dont think Ive really had any issues with wanting to use a controller and I couldnt that I can think of off the top of my head. I guess if youre playing some old classics it could be a problem... but Ive been PC gaming for years and cant think of a single instance where this was a major issue for me.

I guess overall... if youre just going to play a handful of the major console oriented releases, and you dont have a couple grand to sacrifice. Then maybe not.

But if the above appeals to you... then hell to the fuck yeah.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I hooked up my Xbox elite series 2 controller to my Mac, running parallels 19, Windows 11 ARM and it plays a lot of my games on steam and my controller worked in the games playing area, but again doesn't work in the menus ever. Tried what I listed for games. Menus, nothing, controller don't work.
Then you lied as you said "Black Ops 3, Black Ops 2, Black Ops, Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil 6, played them all on PC" and maybe your problem starts there.

Last edited:

Denton

I hooked up my Xbox one controller to my PC, running Windows 10 x64 and it plays all of my games on steam and my controller worked in the games playing area, and again works in all the menus ever.

Maybe don't use Mac to complain about PC.

Last edited:

Damigos

if only our time was unlimited.

yea and you probably won't be playing those games from a couch. If you must play RTS games, for the most part a potato PC will run everything and just stick it on your desk.
If only it was unlimited indeed.
As i said this way you cover all of modern gaming

RickMasters

Yes. And if even reccomend watching a few videos on how to build it yourself.

You can build something that is flexible, expandable, powerful, future proof, multi- purpose and can be mad to look pretty bad ass…… which is why you should build your own. Build what you want, the way you want. Honestly the only nerve wracking part is installing the CPU, because you have to be pretty delicate with the contacts. But after that part, It’s a breeze, you might even enjoy it! I think it really kicks in how cool it’s gonna be when you build when you take the packaging off that new motherboard….seeing all the cool heat sinks and aluminium NVME slot covers, really gives you that buzz that you get when you inbox a new console for the first time.

But you get to feel like that with every peice you successfully install onto the motherboard. And then there the. Intent you fire it up, just before installing OS… seeing it all light up for the first time, you get a sense of achievement because you built it. And yeah I’m gonna reccomend grabbing a good keyboard and matching mouse combo. Something nice that maybe matches up and gives your setup a look, ya know? A nice mouse mat aswell. These things are not super important but, there’s a lot of cool stuff out there. It’s about making a PC that is YOUR PC. Your way. Your style. A couple game pads too! ( I have an assortment of control pads I use on PC, as it goes) . Don’t forget a nice big monitor. The peripheral really enrich the experience. Especially if you got a nice desk and a comfy chair for them long stints, at the computer.

Of course you are gonna want a gaming headset but a lot of the good motherboards have multiple outs for a surround sound speaker set up should you choose. I deffo reccomend investing in good audio gear for gaming PCs, so many games have great sound design that really comes to life with some good speakers.

MacReady13

I'm going to speak on personal experience here- I recently purchased a gaming PC. I purchased all the parts and the PC place here in Melbourne (called Scorptec) built my PC. This was all completed in Feb this year.

Flash forward to now and not only have I had issues with the 3 front case fans not working correctly (I had them replaced to no avail) but only this last week I am getting what I believe is coil whine coming out of my motherboard! At least I think it's my motherboard. I thought it was the GPU but that's not even where the noise is coming from. And boy, is coil whine annoying!

So in short, I'm seriously considering selling the parts of my PC to get the Rog Ally X (I mainly played indies on my PC) to use as a desktop PC and play some games, and get an OLED Steam Deck for easy gaming portability. Then just sticking with my consoles. I'm not in it for the graphics- I want good gameplay, hence why I mainly game on my Switch.

Again, this is my personal opinion and experience and everyone is going to have different perspectives but it's really soured me on the whole experience.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Absolutely.
You're not limited to just gaming platforms like steam, epic or whatever.
You have fan games, emulation, mods to make older games work, mods for new games to look even better.
Controller or device of your choosing.
The list is bottomless.

David B

An Idiot
Well thanks guys. Overall I know I shouldn't anyway as I have about $8000 in credit card debt anyway. So no duh, not buying anything at all, paying off the debt is way more important! Second thing is controller support. Consoles 100% always. PC tons of old games don't and I know you can adjust steam settings stuff but that's still a downer to me, I hate adjusting stuff and just getting in the game and going. So yeah debt and controller use. My 2 reasons why I won't buy a gaming PC.

tr1p1ex

Well thanks guys. Overall I know I shouldn't anyway as I have about $8000 in credit card debt anyway. So no duh, not buying anything at all, paying off the debt is way more important! Second thing is controller support. Consoles 100% always. PC tons of old games don't and I know you can adjust steam settings stuff but that's still a downer to me, I hate adjusting stuff and just getting in the game and going. So yeah debt and controller use. My 2 reasons why I won't buy a gaming PC.
Yeah you want $8k in the bank. That should be your zero level. $8k in debt just a big anchor.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The controller thing is like a total non-issue. Steam in particular is amazingly good at informing you whether the game you're looking to purchase supports a controller. A recent update on Steam is that it will inform you of that game's optimization with your particular controller that's plugged in. Every game which also released on consoles since about 2016 has supported controllers on PC right out of the box.

Some games on PC weren't made with controllers in mind. Older RTS games are probably the most guilty of this. Things like older Civilization games (4 and before, I believe) don't work with controllers. But seriously, almost everything I've played on PC in the last 10 years has worked with my controller out of the box, and the things that didn't were very clearly labeled in the store.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

If you’re 8k in the hole, yea youre better off. But the controller thing is simply not true unless you are talking about games from 15+ years ago. I think the only game I ever really bashed my head against getting a controller to work was the original Condemned.

The only reason I bought the best PC possible was to be better than everyone. After the pandemic and cost increasing it seemed optimal in every way in terms of social status. I rarely actually game on it though, and when I do it's 10+ year old games because none of my friends are willing to break the bank anyway. It was pretty meaningless to buy one in the end.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

If you’re 8k in the hole, yea youre better off. But the controller thing is simply not true unless you are talking about games from 15+ years ago. I think the only game I ever really bashed my head against getting a controller to work was the original Condemned.

Hell, we had the opposite not even long ago, like a PC game that didn't support mouse and keyboard. Now THAT's fucked.

The only reason I bought the best PC possible was to be better than everyone. After the pandemic and cost increasing it seemed optimal in every way in terms of social status. I rarely actually game on it though, and when I do it's 10+ year old games because none of my friends are willing to break the bank anyway. It was pretty meaningless to buy one in the end.
This is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard lol goddamn

Kabelly

People really overstate issues with using a controller. I guess I'm personally not playing games that are broken with controller but the only reason I bought a PC was to play all my games with a controller with gyro enabled (that make it worth it). I have yet to play a game I can think of that didn't work with the controller fully. Psychonaughts I had to whip out my keyboard a few times for some naming thing but that's an old ass game. Even my not so official purchases work fine with controller if I add it to steam. I have not played a single game on PC with a keyboard and mous and I've owned it for 3 years now. I also have it hooked up to a 55" LG C1 since you mentioned you like big screen gaming. It's the best experience ever. Games just look sublime.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Yes get an elite v2 controller while your at it

Boot into steam big picture mode and apart from driver updates every now and again youll hardly ever touch kb+m.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Are there even games that don't play with a controller on PC apart from... League of Legends I guess? Even WoW plays with controller these days. I play from a couch using Steam Big Picture and an Xbox Series controller, like 90% of the time I just navigate to the game I want to play on Steam, open it and play, everything with the controller. The only game I've faced this issue recently was with Dragon Age Origins that I have in my backlog, but that's a pretty old game with custom launcher that were very popular back in the day, it doesn't allow me to use controller.

The other 10% of the time I can't use the controller because I'm picking a game from Xbox App or GOG, but it's just for opening the game because the actual games have controller support, for that I have a small keyboard with a trackpad which I use to perform quick actions that requires it.

It's so rare and weird to not have controller support since 7th gen imo, if I end up facing that issue ever again (I did like 10 years ago... but only sometimes even lol) I'll just walk away and refund the game on Steam.

Also, I started doing everything from Steam now because it's just too comfy to do everything with controller.

Almost everyone I know IRL who bought a gaming PC because they basically just wanted a prettier, faster console experience ended up going back to console.
LOL no, not even close, WTF? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Edit: Oops, didn't read you said "IRL" my bad. But nevermind, it's just an anecdotal thing.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I dunno about OPs claim of games requiring m+kb to navigate menus in-game. Where the hell did that come from? That was a thing maybe 3-4+ years ago, today I find it's common with full controller support in new Steam games. Even feckin' Balatro comes with full controller support and it's a rogue-like card game. Many even come with DualSense support with correct glyphs, haptics and such. I played 233h of Helldivers 2 without ever using the mouse.
3-4 years ago? I'd say 15-20 years ago

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Dear OP,

PC gaming is not for you. Do yourself, your community, your loved ones, your god, and your country a favour, and stick to consoles. If 'controller issues' are a thing for you, this is not for you.

And, thank you for not babbling about 'driver problems' like every halfwit who has no idea how to use Windows.

Sincerely,

Planet Earth

David B

An Idiot
Just no, run away. Prices and efforts don’t worth it… don’t bother, and fuc* Windows!
Yeah I agree on that. I have a basic Windows PC from HP, it has a AMD Ryzen 5 5600G processor, 12GB ram, 1TB SSD. Now even though the specs are fine for basic use, it gave me tons of freezes, crashes, can't launch this app errors, blue screens of death. So I was like omfg, that's it, and than went to reset, so I searched reset, clicked on reset button, PC froze. WTF? Seriously, I clicked the reset button and the whole PC froze out of nowhere. I clicked Windows start button, no actions, clicked file folder, nothing, clicked chrome, nothing, clicked edge, nothing. WTF?!?!?!?! The whole PC froze, it was like why in the hell just freeze out of no where? Now this PC has Windows 11 home on it. Microsoft is great right? Nope, they suck. Not all the time, but even the Xbox Series X console I have freezes sometimes. I remember played COD Vanguard yesterday on it, was playing online MP of course, quick play. Game starts, having fun, about 3 minutes after it starts the game crashes out and game auto closes out of no where. Why? WTF? I really don't understand Microsoft so much, because it doesn't matter if you use a Windows PC or an Xbox, eventually there is always something that screws up. Yet with a Sony console and Nintendo consoles, nothing ever screws up ever!

Toots

Gold Member
DOn't if you don't want to get your hands dirty.
I manage to talk my office to buy me a work from home computer that i planned to use for gaming but im lazy and there was so much things to take in account just to play a game, the multiple launchers each with their flaws, everything that pc gaming has become (i remember when you just had to put the cd in the reader and off you go) is so tiresome, i stopped using it altogether and don't even use the computer for work..

tl ; dr don't buy it, if you're asking yourself if you should it means you're too lazy to do it.

Markio128

Gold Member
Would you enjoy port-begging and lording it over us console peasants, along with complaining over the most inane nonsense?

If so, I’d say go for it.

Toots

Gold Member
It just occured to me...
You're David B...enioff !

You were too lazy to even write a decent ending to game of thrones, so don't even think you have what it takes to be a pc gamer.

David B

An Idiot
It just occured to me...
You're David B...enioff !

You were too lazy to even write a decent ending to game of thrones, so don't even think you have what it takes to be a pc gamer.
I've never written a game or made a game in my life. I'm your ordinary guy. I've worked at mcdonalds, wendy's, taco bell, and target. I went to college one time for being a retail store manager and never got to be manager ever in my life. So whoever your looking for, it's not me, always been a regular guy and I'm short 5 feet 3 inches and I've had big history of having brain cancer.

Toots

Gold Member
I've never written a game or made a game in my life. I'm your ordinary guy. I've worked at mcdonalds, wendy's, taco bell, and target. I went to college one time for being a retail store manager and never got to be manager ever in my life. So whoever your looking for, it's not me, always been a regular guy and I'm short 5 feet 3 inches and I've had big history of having brain cancer.
That's exactly what Benioff would say to keep his cover.
Think About It GIF by Identity

(but for real you might not be David Benioff in this case my first post stands, it is quite a hassle to build and maintain a gaming rig and if you don't find interest and fun in the very act of tweaking and tuning up the hundred variables that make pc gaming better than console, i don't think it's worth it.)

David B

An Idiot
Alright all. Instead of creating a new post again, can some of yall comment on this question? Apple prices are insane! Like seriously. Macbook air and pro way way too high. iPad Pro starts at $1000, WTF?! iPhone now starts at $800 or maybe more. WTF is this? Apple is way way overpriced on there stuff compared to prices for android phones and PCs and tablets being way cheaper than Apple stuff. So do you agree that Apple prices are way overpriced?

SNG32

If you plan on doing surface level gaming and care about frames and shit then meh. But if you trying to go deep with the shit like mods, emulators, basically utilizing playing every game known to man then the answer is fuck yes and don’t even think twice. And you still get to do what I listed above.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

I only play with a controller so controller support for the most part is a non issue.

You can hook it up to a TV and sound system if need be.

Wireless Keyboard and Mouse support is also a option.

So yes is my answer.

S0ULZB0URNE

I asked what I asked, and plenty of people prefer controller for a lot of FPS games anyway if we really want to get "technical". See the problem is that nearly every post I've ever seen of yours are console disses or PCMR related shit and a lot of them fall into what devolves into console people are retards and there's absolutely no reason to prefer console/controller.
You forgot him crying about aim assist.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Yeah I agree on that. I have a basic Windows PC from HP, it has a AMD Ryzen 5 5600G processor, 12GB ram, 1TB SSD. Now even though the specs are fine for basic use, it gave me tons of freezes, crashes, can't launch this app errors, blue screens of death. So I was like omfg, that's it, and than went to reset, so I searched reset, clicked on reset button, PC froze. WTF? Seriously, I clicked the reset button and the whole PC froze out of nowhere. I clicked Windows start button, no actions, clicked file folder, nothing, clicked chrome, nothing, clicked edge, nothing. WTF?!?!?!?! The whole PC froze, it was like why in the hell just freeze out of no where? Now this PC has Windows 11 home on it. Microsoft is great right? Nope, they suck. Not all the time, but even the Xbox Series X console I have freezes sometimes. I remember played COD Vanguard yesterday on it, was playing online MP of course, quick play. Game starts, having fun, about 3 minutes after it starts the game crashes out and game auto closes out of no where. Why? WTF? I really don't understand Microsoft so much, because it doesn't matter if you use a Windows PC or an Xbox, eventually there is always something that screws up. Yet with a Sony console and Nintendo consoles, nothing ever screws up ever!
That's sounds like a PC with Windows 98 or XP lol I haven't had any issues like those since I moved to windows 7 like 15 years ago, even then it wasn't as common

Krathoon

I got this Alienware PC and I am still enjoying the hell out of it.

There is so much stuff you can muck about with on a PC. It is still kind of the Wild West.

Buggy Loop

If you plan on doing surface level gaming and care about frames and shit then meh. But if you trying to go deep with the shit like mods, emulators, basically utilizing playing every game known to man then the answer is fuck yes and don’t even think twice. And you still get to do what I listed above.

Sims, almost a requirement to have a PC if that's of interest. It's a rabbit hole, infinite possibilities. So much hardware available, all game outputs can be brought to a device you either bought or tinkered, displays, MFDs, etc.

Krathoon

What amazes me about modern PCs is that you can hook up an absurd amount of external drives to them.

They also last longer because most of the work a video game does is on the video card. So, you can just upgrade the video card and be fine.

Last edited:

SNG32

Sims, almost a requirement to have a PC if that's of interest. It's a rabbit hole, infinite possibilities. So much hardware available, all game outputs can be brought to a device you either bought or tinkered, displays, MFDs, etc.

That’s what I’m saying if people are trying to get a PC just to play current games that are on console at 4K 60 fps basically being a numbers guy I feel like your never happy and always want to move on to the next gpu or cpu once you start seeing the numbers drop as your hardware gets older. But I find if you have something decent and do a deep dive on what you can really do with PC in terms of playing actual games and yes there’s an endless amount to play then that’s when you can really enjoy it and you really start thinking why the fuck am I on consoles in the first place. Especially now to
me there’s never been a better time you play majority of Xbox, PlayStation and Nintendo games on PC either through release or emulation.

Top Bottom