• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2016 Edition

Elitist1945

Just dropped to 470. Onkyo makes goid avrs, decent speakers. Luckily its a real avr not an htib so you can always upgrade your speakers later. It also has component inputs so you can connect older consoles to it. Might wanna research and see if the hdmi inputs are 2.0 or not if hdr is important to you. Also its only 5.1 so no atmos or dts-x support. I guess it all boils down to do you alreasy have any decent speakers or not?

This would be my first home theatre setup. I don't have any speakers other than the TV speakers. My TV doesn't have HDR but I guess since most future TVs will that should be a thing to look for in a receiver. I also don't think the TV room would be big enough to take advantage of 7.1, but I could also look into that as well.

EDIT: Perhaps this one is better? I've heard good things about Pioneer, and it has HDMI 2.0.

I personally prefer Onkyo AVRs to Pioneer. I have a pretty high end Pioneer from a few years ago in my bedroom and it annoys the shit out of me how it changes zones and looks like its on even when it's not.

I would say as a first legit surround sound system go for it, you will definitely enjoy it. Upgrade your speakers down the line, starting with the sub if its not powered, then add some floorstanding speakers if you have room. After you get better speakers you can always upgrade to a better AVR in the future, that's the great part about component systems.

Elitist1945

Okay, thanks! There's this other Onkyo I found which supports 5.1.2 Atmos but its also double the price. Perhaps there's some extra features I'm not seeing, but I have a feeling the cheaper one would suit me better perhaps?

Are these good speakers to use for a 7.1 setup? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...T870_SKS_HT870_7_1_Channel_Home_Theater.html#!

They seem really cheap

EDIT: Found a receiver/speaker package for sub $500, but that probably means its shit, doesn't it

Just did a little more research and found out that it does not support HDCP 2.2 so if you do plan on upgrading to 4k in the future this might not be the best AVR for you...

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00LU0GPAI/

Depending on your budget, this AVR is a good start (Best Buy also has it for the same price). Add a couple of nice bookshelf speakers then a sub then piece your system together (center channel next then if you have room, upgrade your fronts to floorstanders and move the bookshelfs to the back. If you don't have room for big spekaers in the front then just add a couple of smaller satellite speakers in the rear).

Searching for AVR stuff in Canada isn't as easy as here in the US I see...

If you're on a budget, the best way to go is buy a good receiver as it can last you a long time and a solid set of fronts with a matching center. You can do this on a budget. Worry about the rear's and sub later on when you can expand. You don't want to skimp on the receiver. If you're on a budget, frankly I don't think you need Atmos. Decide what you really want. Are you going to 4k? 1080p? Plan it out. If you want, you can PM me and I'll talk to you about different options.

I've had my receiver for 10 years now (Onkyo) and I'm looking to upgrade next year finally. It lasted my intro set of speakers (5.1) and then my current set of speakers as well. I'm upgrading for: 4k, and more than 2 HDMI in, I've been using an HDMI switch the past 3 years!

A question for the thread:

I'm looking to get a new desk for my office in the house I'll be moving into in 2 weeks (first house, yay!).

Any suggestions. Right now I'm leaning towards going to an Ikea like an hour away and doing one of their build it desks where you buy the top, legs, etc. I'm looking for a large desk that offers a lot of space that isn't a solid piece of wood you see on at a lot of places like furniture stores or office depot. I'd prefer to get something off of like Amazon b/c Ikea shipping is insane. But I usually don't find a lot of large low profile desks.

Elitist1945

Just did a little more research and found out that it does not support HDCP 2.2 so if you do plan on upgrading to 4k in the future this might not be the best AVR for you...

Searching for AVR stuff in Canada isn't as easy as here in the US I see...

The Best Buy page for the HTS-3700 says it supports 4K/60hz and 3D though.

And yes, Canada is very difficult sometimes for electronics.

The Best Buy page for the HTS-3700 says it supports 4K/60hz and 3D though.

And yes, Canada is very difficult sometimes for electronics.

Hmm, well shit I say give it a shot, if it doesn't then you should be able to return it with no restocking fee. It will give you a good oppurtunity to test it out and see how you like it. I am sure you will be satisfied because you really don't have much to compare it to. It will be such a huge improvement from what you're used to. I actually think surround sound is more important than picture quality. Like if I had to chose between HD and surround sound I would probably go for the immersive sound. Of course some games take better advantage of it than others, but it's so worth it. Of course it will also benefit movies and music too!

2016-08-27_02-22-32_2d2ulw.jpg

Bravoexo

29263591005_ac77cea018_k.jpg

Benching and Capturing my test of my new videocards, Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080—A8G Gaming, in SLI. Using my Asus ROG G752VY witn an Avermedia LGX to capture the test runs.

JMZ555

Sorry for IPhone quality. My Game/Movie Room is blacked out so quite hard to take images. Currently running a PS4 with Epson tw5500 Projector (Soon to be new 9300 model) on 120" fixed frame screen. Still have my trusty Logitech Z5500 5.1 system. Most of my games are digital these days.

hif5CxI.jpg

TnFrLst.jpg

CM40pRG.jpg

jh9yBkq.jpg

IaN_GAF

Sorry for IPhone quality. My Game/Movie Room is blacked out so quite hard to take images. Currently running a PS4 with Epson tw5500 Projector (Soon to be new 9300 model) on 120" fixed frame screen. Still have my trusty Logitech Z5500 5.1 system. Most of my games are digital these days.

Jezus wept, that is glorious.

Friggz

are those idea shelves? happen to have a link to them?

Trojan

hif5CxI.jpg

TnFrLst.jpg

CM40pRG.jpg

jh9yBkq.jpg

I dig that setup

29263591005_ac77cea018_k.jpg

Benching and Capturing my test of my new videocards, Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080—A8G Gaming, in SLI. Using my Asus ROG G752VY witn an Avermedia LGX to capture the test runs.

Can I ask about your tower and what specs are in it as well as the tower casing and touchscreen (?)

Looks cool af.

Love the setup. Especially your collection. So close to finishing my game/theater room.

Whow...amazing. :eek:

Bravoexo

Can I ask about your tower and what specs are in it as well as the tower casing and touchscreen (?)

Looks cool af.

Sure, Its a really old but custom painted CoolerMaster HAF-932.

Specs

i7-3770K @ 4.5Ghz
Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH
16 Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-1866C9
Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080-AG-Gaming x 2
CPU Watercooling via BlackICE 360 + Swiftech GTZ Block + MCP355
Fan Controller is an NZXT Sentry 3

Greetings.

I bought my house in May, it was built in 1959 and had very few updates to it (exactly what I wanted). I have had a lot of work done, and there is still a long way to go. But I'm finally at a point where I can post some work in progress pics. I just pointed my iPhone and clicked, so if you have any pointers on capturing better images, I'm all ears.

Here is what the den looked like when I bought it, I had designs right away on retro-fitting that built-in bookcase to house my TV and components.

tdDpcaP.jpg

And here is a pic of what it currently looks like. I took out 2 shelves and replaced the scalloped frame around the edge, replaced the doors on the drawers and put on new hardware, and drilled holes in the sides of the bookcase for cable access. Now I need to sand the whole unit and stain it one color.

Rei7DaA.jpg

COBSbZy.png

Here is a closer picture. 70" Vizio M Series, Denon AVR-S 720 W receiver, consoles, and gaming PC. The receiver can do 7.1, but I have 5.1 set up as the room isn't too big, and I prefer to have the other speakers set up on my patio outside.

no0qCwv.jpg

This is a view of the seating area. I friend of mine called it the "ultimate bachelor pad couch" and I would agree haha.

PPaaUQs.jpg

Along the back wall I have a turntable connected to my Tivoli radio and my bar area.

pbJW1bk.jpg

Here's a closeup of Biggie holding it down.

ef3zHcF.jpg

And Jack Burton tangling with Lo Pan on the mantle.

4ALQBB8.jpg

A couple action shots:

Y8N4Gyn.jpg

K9xj6Ul.jpg

I will continue to post updates as I get stuff tidied up. Any and all comments are welcome.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
My office is finally "done," and I'm really happy with it.

TV is a 40" Samsung JU7500, purchased because it's widely regarded as one of the best TVs for gaming, period; with great motion clarity, fast response time, and some of the lowest input lag out there on a 4K.

Monitor is an Asus PG279Q - 165Hz, G-Sync, IPS, 1440p. I waited for what felt like forever for this product to finally launch late last year, but since getting it back in December, I'd argue this is the best PC monitor money can buy for video games. Ultra wide has definitely tempted me, no doubt; but this is a great Jack-of-all-Trades.

Fidelio X2s for for PC gaming. Some cheap but well-reviewed Sony soundbar on the TV. Man, I'd absolutely love an ATMOS setup; but it just wouldn't work in this tight space.

And then a bunch of video games :)

29246555656_003edb9710_b.jpg

29246555516_4e8c1abac4_b.jpg

29246555306_edf765097c_b.jpg

28096990360_ef5118f683_b.jpg

... PC is getting a bit long in the tooth, but the 1080 gave it a nice new lease on life. I'll probably be looking at a brand new build in about a year.

Qasiel

*snip*

This is a really nice looking space, with the desk area looking clean and functional and the rest of the room giving off a cool vibe to chill in.

The poster behind your monitor is intriguing me as I'm sure I've seen something like it before. Would you mind telling me what it is?

Celcius

°Temp. member

... PC is getting a bit long in the tooth, but the 1080 gave it a nice new lease on life. I'll probably be looking at a brand new build in about a year.

What are the PC specs? Nice setup btw

This is my setup in my apartment here. The vast majority of my stuff is still back home in New Zealand (in plastic bins), but here's what I have so far:

IMG_1447.jpg

This is my TV cabinet. I have a Sony 32" W700B, my i7 6700k/GTX 970 PC I built, a PS4, Super Famicom, Ceramic White 40GB original model PS3, a 8GB Wii U, a NTSC-J Pure White 360 (this one only came out in a 4GB Kinect bundle in Japan, but I put a 250GB HDD in there), a NTSC-J Dreamcast (my first non-blue swirl), White Saturn, and then (unfortunately) beneath the cabinet is my Megadrive. Now, I didn't stuff it under there in shame because it broke the colour theme going on, but simply because the Saturn and Megadrive juuuust won't fit on the same shelf together. :(

The Megadrive, Super Famicom, Saturn and Dreamcast are all plugged into a Bandridge SCART selector, which in turn is plugged into a Framemeister. I'm using the Toro with my Dreamcast to get 480p through RGB to the Framemeister.

IMG_1329.jpg

Here's my bookshelf with all the games I've accumulated so far! I'm a bit mortified that I can already fill the shelf, and I dread to think what I'll do when I eventually get all the games from back home here.

My wife and I enjoy playing online co-op games together like Battlefield, hence the two TV setup! I've had the same basic setup for better part of a year but hadn't posted in here yet. So here it is.

Jj4sLch.jpg

KNkx6Nr.jpg

pWzCJCt.jpg

xg03EEv.jpg

76oSEer.jpg

yk8T9iq.jpg

MJM loves USK

Hagi

TV is a 40" Samsung JU7500, purchased because it's widely regarded as one of the best TVs for gaming, period; with great motion clarity, fast response time, and some of the lowest input lag out there on a 4K.

Monitor is an Asus PG279Q - 165Hz, G-Sync, IPS, 1440p. I waited for what felt like forever for this product to finally launch late last year, but since getting it back in December, I'd argue this is the best PC monitor money can buy for video games. Ultra wide has definitely tempted me, no doubt; but this is a great Jack-of-all-Trades.

Fidelio X2s for for PC gaming. Some cheap but well-reviewed Sony soundbar on the TV. Man, I'd absolutely love an ATMOS setup; but it just wouldn't work in this tight space.

We're currently saving up to get a house but man this is what I want my game/office room to look like. Definitely some good inspiration.

Filth

29246555656_003edb9710_b.jpg

29246555516_4e8c1abac4_b.jpg

29246555306_edf765097c_b.jpg

28096990360_ef5118f683_b.jpg

Where did you get that sexy desk at ?

This is my setup in my apartment here. The vast majority of my stuff is still back home in New Zealand (in plastic bins), but here's what I have so far:

IMG_1447.jpg

This is my TV cabinet. I have a Sony 32" W700B, my i7 6700k/GTX 970 PC I built, a PS4, Super Famicom, Ceramic White 40GB original model PS3, a 8GB Wii U, a NTSC-J Pure White 360 (this one only came out in a 4GB Kinect bundle in Japan, but I put a 250GB HDD in there), a NTSC-J Dreamcast (my first non-blue swirl), White Saturn, and then (unfortunately) beneath the cabinet is my Megadrive. Now, I didn't stuff it under there in shame because it broke the colour theme going on, but simply because the Saturn and Megadrive juuuust won't fit on the same shelf together. :

You gotta get a One S in there

Pagusas

Elden Member
I personally prefer Onkyo AVRs to Pioneer. I have a pretty high end Pioneer from a few years ago in my bedroom and it annoys the shit out of me how it changes zones and looks like its on even when it's not.

I would say as a first legit surround sound system go for it, you will definitely enjoy it. Upgrade your speakers down the line, starting with the sub if its not powered, then add some floorstanding speakers if you have room. After you get better speakers you can always upgrade to a better AVR in the future, that's the great part about component systems.

I use to prefer Onkyo until they went insanely cheap these last few years. When they pulled out of Audyssey support and put in their own insanely junky system instead for room correction (which test after test have shown to be utterly incompetent) I gave up on them and made the full switch to Denon.

Is there a good website to make/order a canvas with your own image?

I've wanted to have a canvas of this on my wall for so long:
http://www.posterbrain.com

Just make sure the image resolution is high enough for the size you intend on printing. The site should tell you if you're good. If you have questions, email them, they have really great customer service and you get a free Werther's candy in the package!

Parsnip

My little shitty corner for gaming. No consoles since I'm on PC. I could theoretically hook up my last gen stuff, but I don't play them so why clutter the place needlessly.

7Qid9AF.jpg

I'd really like to get a new desk and an actual tv stand. New couch wouldn't hurt either.
And a new tv. Maybe a chair too.
I'd also like to move.

Kyne

My little shitty corner for gaming. No consoles since I'm on PC. I could theoretically hook up my last gen stuff, but I don't play them so why clutter the place needlessly.

7Qid9AF.jpg

I'd really like to get a new desk and an actual tv stand. New couch wouldn't hurt either.
And a new tv. Maybe a chair too.
I'd also like to move.

So I heard you like brown... :p

You have white walls and wood flooring my friend. The possibilities are endless.

Anyone here use the Allsteel Relate chair? My friend can get me a deal on it for about $555/new as she works for a distributor of them and can get a discount. Any thoughts on it?

Kyne

I have finally got around to showing my setup. It's a fairly small room so not easy to take good pics. 'Just' have the PC at the moment but room for new goodies as and when they arrive!

Custom 'AV Unit' designed and built by myself!

Not the best quality, sorry :(

The PC runs a fair bit hotter in it's new cubbyhole but she's fully water cooled so it's all good!

wow, you designed AND built that? That's impressive. Is this how you make your living?

wow, you designed AND built that? That's impressive. Is this how you make your living?

Nah, I just looked at all of the ready made stuff and nothing was really suitable for housing a full tower PC. So I decided to make my own. It cost me about £350 all together and about 5 days work. A much better final result and fits perfectly into the room and hides all cabling etc!

I'm an Electrical Engineer but always been good with my hands. Plus my Dad is / was a Joiner so I picked up a lot of woodworking skills from him over the years!

I have finally got around to showing my setup. It's a fairly small room so not easy to take good pics. 'Just' have the PC at the moment but room for new goodies as and when they arrive!

Custom 'AV Unit' designed and built by myself!

Not the best quality, sorry :(

The PC runs a fair bit hotter in it's new cubbyhole but she's fully water cooled so it's all good!

Gorgeous! Looks slick.

Galdius

Last year I posted my new game room.
This year, I don't have something new like that but I did put a few more games on the game room.

The link to the last year's post is here.

This is how the game room looks now:
86eqhSVh.jpg
eneuQw1h.jpg
SvINz4yh.jpg

Here are a few close ups pictures:
8Dpv3G5l.jpg
tR2hfTbl.jpg
Fegpor1l.jpg
nCjpHtzl.jpg
EYfkx37l.jpg
GQ2dPxEl.jpg

Here are the pictures of the games that I keep on my bedroom: