• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 remake’s producer says the original Japanese devs wanted more changes than Bloober Team

Draugoth

Gold Member
In a recent interview with Famitsu, the Silent Hill series’ producer Motoi Okamoto made comments about the work-in-progress remake and the team’s efforts to stay faithful to the original.

Surprisingly, Okamoto comments that it was Silent Hill 2’s original staff members, such as art director/monster designer Masahiro Ito and sound designer Akira Yamaoka, who were more eager to introduce changes to the upcoming remake. On the other hand, members of Poland-based developer Bloober Team would often counter such opinions, vouching for certain elements to remain untouched.

20240603-31806-001.jpg

“Game creators don’t want to make the same thing twice. I think that as the original creators, they had many parts they wanted to change,”

Okamoto explains on behalf of the Japanese development staff. On the other hand, it seems these exchanges with Bloober Team were what helped the developers strike a good balance – keeping everything the original Silent Hill 2 did right as-is, while making the game more modern.

Source

My assumption is that the original developers wanted to see changes to monster design, better realization/layout of levels, adding more atmosphere to areas like the staircase under the historical society, more of a presence of the Otherworld, accentuating the two versions of the resort hotel, more enterable buildings, etc.

Alteration of the characters themselves and having them reflect more modern DEI parameters is an extremely western thing.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
In the sense that they wanted it to be as distant as possible from the original? That part I can see.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
The camera to over the shoulder is obviously a Konami demand while the devs didn't want to do it. You can really see it from the interview

28m40s

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
Bloober want to change something (turns out they didn't) - fuck them, ruining a classic with changes

Original Japanese staff want to change things - yeah yeah actually it was probably changes like adding more atmosphere to areas

Westcliff

Neo Member
It makes a significant difference if the original Japanese creators, who conceived the game, aim to introduce new elements in a remake versus a team that uses clichéd Hollywood horror as their standard, as seen in their previous games. Based on the available gameplay materials, it's evident that any additions tend to lean toward sanitization and more Hollywood clichés to cater to a modern Western audience.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I mean, look at all the changes in the RE remakes. Yes, Capcom, but goes along thematically with cultural ideals with Japan designing western characters now.

RE4's characters were just as redone and different than Demon's Souls Remake, but somehow got a pass from the very same "purists." I wonder why that is?

RaduN

Bloober want to change something (turns out they didn't) - fuck them, ruining a classic with changes

Original Japanese staff want to change things - yeah yeah actually it was probably changes like adding more atmosphere to areas
Because the original staff made the original fucking game. So they have proven themselfes, their vision and abilities. Of course i would trust them to be able to tweak things without murdering the themes and narrative.

Bumper the other hand....

Top Bottom