• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword coming to NA eShop today!

In the Direct, Reggie introduced it as "...the original version of TLOZ: Skyward Sword...," with the same emphasis. So I wouldn't rule it out for the future.

Seems like he was simply trying to specify that this isn't a remaster like the previous two 3D Zelda releases on Wii U.

Of course, it's Zelda, so I'm expecting a new version of this game at some point in the future.

How big is the game?

It's pretty massive. Took me well over 60 hours to complete. It's probably a decent bit shorter if you rush through it.

Yukinari

All i can think about when i see Skyward Sword these days is Arin's rant about it in his Ocarina video. I absolutely hate that video but SS definitely is worthy of ranting over.

Kadin

All I remember when I first played the game was how much I hated the controls. Reading through this thread makes me think I need to give them another chance.

No other eshop games got changed, though. There's only 1 version of Skyward Sword. There's not really any reason to say "original version" unless it was happening.

Nah, they probably said it to dissuade people from thinking it was another remaster like TWW & TP before it.

Stix_Remix

Neo Member
Store page lists Wii U gamepad as one of the compatible controllers. Surely it needs the wiimote and nunchuck, yeah?

I think it's "compatible," in that you can play Wii games via offTV play. You still need to use a wii remote and it is listed as "required."

PGamer

fucking juniors
How does this look/run on Dolphin?

Looks and runs great. From EatChildren:

7iefrd.jpg
153bflk.jpg
22vkced.jpg

1c5sk3.jpg
9s4kqp.jpg
2mwso4.jpg

Banned
I'm gonna buy this. Would have loved an HD remake but it's nice to have all the 3D Zeldas playable in some form on one device.

eXistor

Shame, I would've played a remastered version without the shitty motion controls.
How? You realise the game is designed around them right? I know people like to shit on SS for some reason, but the motion controls make SS the best controlling Zelda game to date if you ask me. I really hope people will give this game the second chance it deserves someday and see how good the game really is outside of the few minor issues the game has.

Luckydog

Does this really take 60 hours to play? Dad here with kids and anything more than a 10-20 window takes forever to complete (Outside of the drug that was MGSV for me).

Can one mainline it in 10-20 hours?

jph139

People asking for Skyward Sword without motion controls is like asking for a top-down Ocarina of Time remake. Fundamenally impossible, may as well make a new game. Don't hold your breath.

Ridley327

Does this really take 60 hours to play? Dad here with kids and anything more than a 10-20 window takes forever to complete (Outside of the drug that was MGSV for me).

I managed a Hero mode run in a little over 20 hours, but I already knew what to expect. I would say that 30-35 is a more realistic expectation if you're not going for 100%.

I should clarify that 60 hours is for someone looking to accomplish most of what the game has to offer. It's probably a 40+ hour game if you just want to make it through.

Definitely a lot longer than 20 hours regardless.

Looks and runs great. From EatChildren:

In still pictures, sure. But the depth of field effect that is used in this game doesn't upscale well at all - just look at the dithered mess behind Zelda in the second picture. Looks even worse in motion.
It's got kind of a watercolor thing to it, which I suspect is exactly the look that they were trying to achieve.
I also suspect it's the main reason there won't be an HD version, unless they figure out a way to replicate that watercolor DoF in a way that doesn't look like shit.

maxcriden

It's a wonderful game, take your time to enjoy it. It's not going anywhere. In addition to the times listed above me, has the main story alone at an average of 38 hours, and completionist at an average of 60 hours, with playtimes up to 92 hours. (Mine is on the upper end, similar to OrbitalBeard but I think honestly even more hours, though the game keeps track of time when you pause so it's hard to say.) But yeah, even at 38 hours average for main story only, you'd be missing all of the fun sidequests, which doesn't sound like as good of a time to me personally. I recommend you plan for the long haul with this one, it's best enjoyed taking your time with it IMO. There's plenty to explore even in the more linear parts of the overworld.

Raven77

Look I'm one of the BIGGEST haters on motion controls. But i've got to give it to Nintendo on Skyward Sword, the controls are FANTASTIC. With Wii Motion + it was a joy to control. Very engaging and interesting.

atbigelow

The only way I could stand playing SS was using Gecko hacks to turn off some of the bullshit UX decisions they made.

...like why is the god damn text speed so slow? It was lightning quick in TP. :/

Shaanyboi

Banned
*sigh*

This game has so many interesting things going for it, but it's all sandwiched in between the trash pacing. Same with Twilight Princess.

Sagitario

I already own 3 copies of the game, so I'm skipping this release despite loving Skyward Sword.
I'd rather replay it on my SDTV (which I will do this year, actually) with cheats on (like faster text).

I wonder if Nintendo will explain their reasoning behind not doing a remaster.

They don't have to explain, it's easy: return of investment.

Neff

This literally happened to me on the final boss fight.

There I was, in the heat of battle, fully immersed in this epic struggle for the fate of the world, the ultimate clash between darkness and light, with nothing standing between me and my opponent, as I raise my sword high into the air, sword beaming with white light, and...

"Master, your wii remote batteries are running low. I suggest you replace them."

... I have never, ever been sucked out of the moment as hard as I was when that happened. You just had to get one last one in, didn't you Fi...

I love Skyward Sword to bits, and I'll defend it to the end, but this is the worst thing I've ever heard.

21XX

Banned
It's a wonderful game, take your time to enjoy it. It's not going anywhere. In addition to the times listed above me, has the main story alone at an average of 38 hours, and completionist at an average of 60 hours, with playtimes up to 92 hours. (Mine is on the upper end, similar to OrbitalBeard but I think honestly even more hours, though the game keeps track of time when you pause so it's hard to say.) But yeah, even at 38 hours average for main story only, you'd be missing all of the fun sidequests, which doesn't sound like as good of a time to me personally. I recommend you plan for the long haul with this one, it's best enjoyed taking your time with it IMO. There's plenty to explore even in the more linear parts of the overworld.

Which ones were these? The one where you collect a random thing to get... a new wallet? Or the other one where you collect a random thing to get... some other barely useful upgrade?

Mainline that game as quickly as possible. There's enough filler as is!

L Thammy

I like pointing my sword backwards, at the left hip, then swinging it samurai style. Makes no sense for Link to be doing that but it looks and feels good.

gogojira

HD and waggle free, please. Also, remove that one stupid swimming quest and fighting the same boss 13 time over.

Maybe I just want to relive the OST and call it a day.

maxcriden

HD and waggle free, please. Also, remove that one stupid swimming quest and fighting the same boss 13 time over.

Maybe I just want to relive the OST and call it a day.

No HD, but can confirm no waggle, one brief, 15-minute swimming quest, and you only have to fight that boss 3 times.

Luckydog

I hear you, it just seems like there has to be ton of filler in there. Yes I can look up on "Howlongtobeat" but its not always accurate. It has Ocarina and WW at almost 25 hours but I beat them on less than that. Even if it was exactly that, I cant imaging wanting to double that time. And I LIKE zelda. I loved WW even with the slow fetch quests at the end. Cant imaging doing that for 20-30 more hours.

Top Bottom