• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword coming to NA eShop today!

Gamegeneral

This is the only mainline zelda i've missed and it still burns me because I really didn't want to get a wiimote+ for it (Ah, the perils of early adoption).

Any idea if anything's changed or if it's a 1:1 copy of it?
I'll literally buy it RIGHT NOW if there's some way to play with a controller instead of wiimote.

This is the only mainline zelda i've missed and it still burns me because I really didn't want to get a wiimote+ for it (Ah, the perils of early adoption).

I'll literally buy it RIGHT NOW if there's some way to play with a controller instead of wiimote.

It's a Wii Digital-BC release, not a port.

GAMETA

Banned
Welp, thats that. No HD treatment for this. Sad! It would have looked amazing in HD.

They'd have to make the game playable with the gamepad if they were going to release an HD version. And we do know that that would be too much effort for them to make. :D

Well, there is. There's a version of the Dolphin emulator that bypasses Motion Plus requirement, and a controller configuration setup. It's really janky to use because the game isn't meant to work any other way, so yeah.

maxcriden

I hear you, it just seems like there has to be ton of filler in there. Yes I can look up on "Howlongtobeat" but its not always accurate. It has Ocarina and WW at almost 25 hours but I beat them on less than that. Even if it was exactly that, I cant imaging wanting to double that time. And I LIKE zelda. I loved WW even with the slow fetch quests at the end. Cant imaging doing that for 20-30 more hours.

Honestly, it depends how you're going to define filler. I didn't realize HLTB wasn't an accurate source and I appreciate the info on that, thank you. But regarding filler, it depends what filler is to you. Do you just want to play dungeons only? (Sincerely asking, no slight intended)

The game is designed around Wii Motion+ ... There's no possible way to even rework the controls for any other controller.

Sapiens

I love that people are so salty about the moshun controls.

Game was incredible.

If you have a wiiu, a motion plus controller and never played Ss, you're in for a treats

Yort

Skyward Sword is probably my favourite of the GCN/Wii three, really would have liked it to get a remaster like the other 2. Oh well, more reasons to build a PC capable of running Dolphin well.

Already own it physically so no need to buy it again. Though the game has quite a bit of faults I feel it is one of my favorite Zelda's of all time story wise at least. Plus I had little to no problem with the motion controls and got adjusted to them quite quickly. Also about Fi, I liked her as a sidekick and did not find her annoying. She was no Midna but still leaps and bounds above Navi. I highly recommend this game if you have not played it yet.

Shame.

SS was the better game by far.

RVyP9.gif

Opa-Pa

It was weird to see it in the direct and I actually thought it was being ported to 3DS for a second (pretty silly in retrospect because it wouldn't make sense).

Either way I recommend it 100% to anyone who hasn't played it yet. Game is gorgeous and as someone who still doesn't like motion controls, this game alone made the wiimote worth it to me. It plays wonderfully and makes stuff like combat, which in other Zelda games can become a chore, actually engaging and fun.

Fi is insufferable tho, but hey no game is perfect.

Also asking for a remaster with no motion controls make no sense. Everything in the game is designed to interact with motion controls, the majority of it wouldn't even work without them. Just embrace them, they're good.

why are people unable to realize that this game was built from the ground up with motion controls in mind and that a version WITHOUT motion controls would have to have fundamental revampments in enemy encounters and dungeon design

this game is perfectly imperfect in a lot of ways, namely because it serves to showcase the Wii remote (successfully I might add) but suffers from a couple poor design decisions. Lots of repetition and sequences that drag on for too long, as one example.

With that being said, this game looks and sounds beautiful even in sub-HD. I love some of the character arcs here, and it 100% has some of the best dungeons in the history of the series.

There is truly nothing like skyward sword, in part proven by how divisive the game is

KingBroly

Banned
why are people unable to realize that this game was built from the ground up with motion controls in mind and that a version WITHOUT motion controls would have to have fundamental revampments in enemy encounters and dungeon design

this game is perfectly imperfect in a lot of ways, namely because it serves to showcase the Wii remote (successfully I might add) but suffers from a couple poor design decisions. Lots of repetition and sequences that drag on for too long, as one example.

With that being said, this game looks and sounds beautiful even in sub-HD. I love some of the character arcs here, and it 100% has some of the best dungeons in the history of the series.

There is truly nothing like skyward sword, in part proven by how divisive the game is

Supposedly the NX is going to be up this game's alley.

Dug

Banned
I started the game a few weeks ago expecting to hate it after everything I've heard about backtracking and whatnot but ended up enjoying it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The only thing that really annoyed me was fighting that boss three times. Fuck that.

Mr-Joker

Banned
It annoys me when folks keep asking for a remaster of the game without motion control but failing to realised that the entire game was built around motion control thus would require a full on remake for the game to work, which honestly speaking would be a waste of Nintendo time as they can put that effort into making a new Zelda game.

Furthermore the control are fine, they just have a learning curve to them and the game true flaws stems from the obnoxious backtracking, the sky world being under used and Fi being very hand holdy.

Welp, thats that. No HD treatment for this. Sad! It would have looked amazing in HD.

Well it largely depends if the NX has motion controllers then maybe there's a chance.

Griss

Loved this game so much. So many memorable moments, areas, items, dungeons... all backed up by a rock-solid story/context for your adventure. Loved it.

Also the most underrated soundtrack in the entire series. It's magnificent.

Volotaire

Wasn't Wii U compatible anyways with Wii games? Or is this a remaster ?

Yes it is compatible. This is a digital version of the Wii game, running in Wii mode on the Wii U (the Wii U essentially has a Wii chip inside it for BC). It is not a remaster.

No thank you. Skyward Sword was probably the worst Zelda I've ever played. It was neat at moments that the motion controls worked as well as they did, but it just wasn't fun.

Would've preferred getting Spirit Tracks today since that's a Zelda game I haven't played.

I really enjoyed this iteration of Zelda, though I must admit I found the motion controls for fighting Ghirahim frustrating, and the controls for flying the bird felt totally unnecessary. Other than that I really liked this one.

That being said, this wouldn't seem to offer anything over the original Wii version, and since I still have my first Wii connected and use it routinely, I guess I'll just keep holding my breath for an HD version ;)

Started this yesterday,

The beginning of the game is a little cringy, I rushed to finish the whole intro thing. The bird motion controls are a little unnecessary as well. But I love the combat and I have just come to the point where the game gets really good. Can't wait to enter the first dungeon.

Does this look any better than the disc version would on Wii U? I rarely use my Wii U to play Wii games, so I've never really noticed if it upscales them or not.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I don't understand what anyone sees in this game. Maybe some people just enjoy getting led around by the hand.

Shocker people have different taste and sometime might actually like something that you don't.

Does this look any better than the disc version would on Wii U? I rarely use my Wii U to play Wii games, so I've never really noticed if it upscales them or not.

It's the same game as the Disk version, so there's no upscaling involved.

theaface

Great game. Of course it has it flaws which have been well documented, but the whole is greater than the some of its parts. One of the best characterizations of Princess Zelda in my opinion and also one of the best soundtracks.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
..In the wrong resolution.

Not a difficult concept to grasp for most - the ability to play without a wiimote. Many of us who love the Zelda franchise had the game experience ruined by it.

Skywards swords has its issues but the controls are superb. The boss battles are so much better due to it.

Contentwise its a bit too short though

Top Bottom