• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sledghammer: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare not coming to Wii U, Treyarch not on game

Unless they're being funded by Nintendo ala Bayo 2, third party AAA games on Wii U really aren't a thing anymore.

And really, it doesn't bother me. That's what my PS4 is for, and the Wii U versions would be inferior anyway.

It is sad to see pretty much everyone but indies abandon the poor console, but Nintendo did it to themselves.

Bayonetta 2 is not a third party game.

This is incredible. As far as I know the CoD DS games got little-to-no marketing (or word of mouth) and probably didn't even get optimal shelf space. I guess it's a testament to how well the DS actually sold and the power of the CoD name.
This is incredible. As far as I know the CoD DS games got little-to-no marketing (or word of mouth) and probably didn't even get optimal shelf space. I guess it's a testament to how well the DS actually sold and the power of the CoD name.

Yeah. You'd be surprised how much of a precedent there is for Call of Duty games selling decently on Nintendo platforms. Multiple Nintendo Call of Duty games are at the 7-figure mark, and the others are consistently some of the highest-selling Nintendo DS / Nintendo Wii third-party titles (outside of the mega-hits / relative to the massive amount of games released on both systems).

It comes as a surprise because we've heard the narrative for years that "mature third-party games don't sell on Nintendo platforms." Well...Call of Duty is an exception to that rule.

I have no doubt that when Activision released Black Ops 2 back in 2012, they fully believed that Call of Duty would perform at a similar level. Unfortunately for Activision, the Wii U was a wake-up call.

shanafan

Were the CoD game(s) on Wii U at least playable?

My last and only Activision game on Wii U is 007 Legends and the controller sensitivity is insane. Even when I turn it down to the lowest setting it's still way too sensitive, almost unplayable. And when I put it on the highest setting a little touch of the control stick will make 007 spin around like a madman. It's as if noone playtested that game.

Oh and no pro controller support - of course (only for the multiplayer).

Yes, it is highly playable. Activision just feels the sales aren't there.

Discomurf

I actually wonder if they will just rerelease bo2, since it got nuke town last month

confused035.gif

prag16

Banned
I actually wonder if they will just rerelease bo2, since it got nuke town last month

...Huh? What do you mean, like a collector's edition with all DLC or something? Otherwise I don't know what you could possibly mean. And if that IS what you meant, ZERO chance.

Effect

Actually releasing either Black Ops 2 and Ghosts on the Wii U eShop priced at $20 or $30 would be a good idea. It has never made sense why they never got eShop releases. None of Activision's games are on the Wii U eShop. Other then Mass Effect 3 even EA has games up there so they can at least continue to get some sales.

When Black Ops 2 came to the Wii U I was certain that Activision had turned over a new leaf and that things were only going to change for the better. How naive I was to ever think such a thing? A rushed, gimped last gen port with zero DLC released at all proved to me to never trust them ever again. So it was a shock to me when Ghosts was eventually announced for the Wii U.

I mean why release it all if you're only going to deliver a half-ass effort at most?

Turns out it wasn't even that.

Ghosts deserved to flop and not just on the Wii U but all platforms. But for some odd reason it didn't and now Wii U owners are getting the short end of the stick because they chose to ignore a inferior product and are getting punished for it when in actuality they were never treated as equal customers in the first place. /rant

Discomurf

I thought Black Ops 2 and Ghosts were very decent ports actually and had some great features (as I mentioned in a previous post)... the problem was the lack of announcements, marketing, DLC and support.

prag16

Banned
I thought Black Ops 2 and Ghosts were very decent ports actually and had some great features (as I mentioned in a previous post)... the problem was the lack of announcements, marketing, DLC and support.

Pointer controls own all. As others have said, this likely marks the end of my console online shooter career (other than firing up BO2 now and then). Nothing left for me now in that arena, where the only supported control setup resembles a dumpster fire.

CamHostage

In general, MUCH better than how they sold on the Wii U.

CoD sold perfectly fine on DS and Wii.

And yet, no 3DS Call of Duty. Strange. We got a little iPhone spin-off but even that hasn't been ported over to a system that clearly has the install base to support on (although perhaps not the demographics, though the same could be said about DS and that still got a number of these games.)

Here is the complete list of the Treyarch port team for the Call of Duty: Ghosts Wii U port:
HT8H70z.png

That's 38 people...not exactly "little to no effort" now is it?

It's a good number of people (strange that it still takes that many people these days to do a port, many engines do a good portion of the work for you) but it doesn't say their input on the project. They could have come and gone, they could have been working on it part-time, they could have gotten credit for minor contributions, they could have done the project in a short amount of time (I don't know COD Wii U's history, honestly.) If it really took 40 people to make this happen then sure, those results aren't worth it, but I wish we had better insight into the budget and timeline.

This literally happens with every Call of Duty game. It'll probably be announced months later by another Dev like the last few...

As has been pointed out, usually what happens is that Activision does the no-comment routine. This time, it's the developer, and although the CoD teams aren't exactly looped in on product plans (wasn't the chief CoD marketing staffer completely unclear on what the Vita game would be a few weeks before launch?), the fact is that Sledgehammer would have had to have given assets and information to a porting team for a Wii U version (unless it's a third team, with Sledgehammer making the main game and High Moon doing the port-down and team-3 doing the Wii U quickie? Or unless High Moon is just doing it and it was never discussed up the line, which I suppose is possible, but they didn't do cross-platform on Transformers Fall of Cybertron and that was while Wii U still had a 3rd Party market.) He is also saying outright that there isn't one, and it's rare for CoD team members to comment on the Nintendo platform plans at all so a firm "no" feels like it's pretty definitive. Still, Activision has done stranger things...

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I'm more interested in Splatoon than COD:AW
Splatoon2.jpg

Denial.

Not just a river in Egypt.

I own all consoles so was never going to buy it for Wii U unless it used pointer aiming. Therefore I am also more interested in Splatoon on Wii U than COD.

yeah i think you're right. either way, it's a third-party game, unlike wonderful 101, which nintendo owns.

Yeah, it's all silly argument but essentially, the game is done by a third party and being published by Nintendo.

No matter what it is technically, it's probably 99% developed by Platinum so it's a third party game to me.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Pointer controls own all. As others have said, this likely marks the end of my console online shooter career (other than firing up BO2 now and then). Nothing left for me now in that arena, where the only supported control setup resembles a dumpster fire.

While pointer controls are fun, I'm far more effective with the Pro Controller. It's all in what you're used to, as I had no problems cleaning house in Blops 2 on Wii U. Didn't matter what the opposition had.

prag16

Banned
Denial.

Not just a river in Egypt.

I own all consoles so was never going to buy it for Wii U unless it used pointer aiming. Therefore I am also more interested in Splatoon on Wii U than COD.
wat

BO2 and Ghosts on Wii U DO support pointer aiming... If AW had been ported it would have too.

While pointer controls are fun, I'm far more effective with the Pro Controller. It's all in what you're used to, as I had no problems cleaning house in Blops 2 on Wii U. Didn't matter what the opposition had.

To be fair, dual analog has a major aim assist advantage in BO2. I think it was toned down a bit in Ghosts. If it wasn't there the dual analog folks would likely be slaughtered.

MilesTeg

Banned
If you play CoD on the Gamepad, depending on your TV, you might notice that the Gamepad is displaying the image faster than your TV. That's how fast the Wii U stream is. In BO2 when I switched to Gamepad only, I was seriously raking. Like once I switched I was way over a 2.0 K/D with well over 300 score per minute or whatever. It was pretty fun, and basically the only reason I'm sad to see no CoD on Wii U. Oh, and the local co-op with Gamepad + TV was an incredible feature.

And yet, no 3DS Call of Duty. Strange. We got a little iPhone spin-off but even that hasn't been ported over to a system that clearly has the install base to support on (although perhaps not the demographics, though the same could be said about DS and that still got a number of these games.)

Well, Activision didn't start supporting the DS until 2007, three years after it came out. They didn't just jump right to the DS when the installbase was small.

But besides that...maybe if the 3DS launched in November Activision would have tried their hand at a 3DS port to support it. But it came out in March...and by November 2011, 3rd parties had an idea about how different the 3DS was in Western markets than its predecessor.

The 3DS has been out for 3 and and a half years now. It has sold 58.48 million units of software across 291 titles in the Americas through the period ending June 30th.

In the equivalent period for the DS (March 2008), the DS sold 123.20 million units of software across 567 titles in the Americas. The DS's software ecosystem has been consistently stronger than the 3DS...especially for third-party titles.

I don't know the exact reasoning behind Activision's lack of 3DS support, but I imagine the 3DS's third-party weakness had something to do with it. And of course, the Wii U weakness might have contributed to it as well.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
It's pretty selfish of me to say this, but I'm glad it's not coming to Wii U. I don't really have a whole lot of interest in what's been shown of it so far, and would be sad to see the Black Ops 2 community get stolen away.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
I was surprised they even ported Ghosts to Wii U, so I'd be surprised if they ported AW.

Ghost deserved to be ported to the recycle bin and not appear on any console tbh. Game was boring as hell.

If you play local with two players with that setup, is there any lag or slowdown???

No, plays great, indeed killer feature, played a few times with the wife. edit: BOs 2 here.

CoD on the Gamepad with off tv feels great. I had quick Cod sessions this way. I was going to decide between PS4 and Wii U version, sometimes graphics is not the whole story.

No, plays great, indeed killer feature, played a few times with the wife.

CoD on the Gamepad with off tv feels great. I had quick Cod sessions this way. I was going to decide between PS4 and Wii U version, sometimes graphics is not the whole story.

Sweet.

Because I don't have a great TV right now, I only play the game on the Gamepad itself and love it.

People say the colors are washed out and while I don't doubt it, I think it looks great and love playing it on the controller.

Log4Girlz

I SERIOUSLY doubt it's that high. Maybe shipped.... not sell thru.

It wouldn't make any financial sense for Acti to release it on Wii U, unless Nintendo decided they want the content. I'm sure they have in the past, maybe they aren't pursuing this year or have a different strategy ::shrug::

Its almost equivalent to nothing at all. Like If someone asked a representative and they answered "it didn't sell anything at all", it would be pointless to correct them and say it technically did. It may as well have sold nothing at all.

Not surprising, almost every third party has stopped supporting the wiiu, Activision was probably thinking about canceling ghosts but decided to give the wiiu one last chance, after that bombed I knew it would not be getting the next Cod.

MilesTeg

Banned
If you play local with two players with that setup, is there any lag or slowdown???

Yes there is. Disclaimer: I never tried it off-line. I only played like that online. You can have the second player use his/her own account as well, meaning you are both logged in at the same time, playing TDM online together, on your own user names, on your own screens, sitting next to eachother.

What happens seems to be a decrease in frame rate, and the graphics also take a hit. It's not game breaking and you get used to it, but it is definitely noticeable when you switch between single player online and co-op online.

Yes there is. Disclaimer: I never tried it off-line. I only played like that online. You can have the second player use his/her own account as well, meaning you are both logged in at the same time, playing TDM online together, on your own user names.

What happens seems to be a decrease in frame rate, and the graphics also take a hit. It's not game breaking and you get used to it, but it is definitely noticeable when you switch between single player online and co-op online.

I meant offline.

Yeah, on the Giant Bomb Wii U stream, it had some issues online with that setup and they definitely made light of it but said it was still impressive for what it was doing.

Discomurf

Not surprising, almost every third party has stopped supporting the wiiu, Activision was probably thinking about canceling ghosts but decided to give the wiiu one last chance, after that bombed I knew it would not be getting the next Cod.

one last chance... as in... straight port with no upgrades to texture resolution, etc, not announcing it alongside other consoles, not including preorder bonus content or DLC support. ;)

catmario

Dramatic twist.

Actually Treyarch Wii U team is making
Wii U version of Their next COD game.

...................... Is just 1% possible. :p

Sweet.

Because I don't have a great TV right now, I only play the game on the Gamepad itself and love it.

People say the colors are washed out and while I don't doubt it, I think it looks great and love playing it on the controller.

I don´t care what people say, CoD is one of those games that look great on the gamepad.

I play on the gamepad with a Wii U pro controller when the wife is watching TV.

one last chance... as in... straight port with no upgrades to texture resolution, etc, not announcing it alongside other consoles, not including preorder bonus content or DLC support. ;)

Isn't the wiiu a 176GFlops machine with a weak cpu, considering almost every third party port is inferior on the wiiu, except on a few rare exceptions that were late ports, can't really blame the developer, it has more to do with nintendo choosing weak hardware.

StevieP

Banned
Nintendo is publishing it on a Nintendo platform. That's first party.

Platinum isn't a first party

Isn't the wiiu a 176GFlops machine with a weak cpu, considering almost every third party port is inferior on the wiiu, except on a few rare exceptions that were late ports, can't really blame the developer, it has more to do with nintendo choosing weak hardware.

If simple numbers told the full story, those examples you reference wouldn't exist. Texture resolution... More texture memory. Higher generation of GPU. These things are connected. The Wii u is (overall) a more capable machine than previous generation consoles, despite the numbers. It doesn't come free. It requires budget and time to get better results. Those ports that looked better than their previous gen counterparts looked better for a reason. Those that looked worse, likewise. The machine is nowhere near strong enough to brute force better results.

So? Game Freak isn't a first-party studio either, and Nintendo doesn't (on paper) own the majority of the Pokemon IP.

Does that mean Pokemon is a third-party game as well?

Nintendo completely funded the production of Bayonetta 2. If Nintendo funds the game, it doesn't matter whether it's made by an internal studio or a contracted third-party studio...for all intents and purposes it's considered a first-party game.

So? Game Freak isn't a first party studio either, and Nintendo doesn't (on paper) own the majority of the Pokemon IP.

So is Pokemon a third-party game as well?

Nintendo completely funded the production of Bayonetta 2. If Nintendo funds the game, it doesn't matter whether it's made by an internal studio or a contracted third-party studio...for all intents and purposes it's considered a first-party game.

Actually in this scenario I think this is whats classifed as a second party game.

iamvin22

Industry Verified

If simple numbers told the full story, those examples you reference wouldn't exist. Texture resolution... More texture memory. Higher generation of GPU. These things are connected. The Wii u is (overall) a more capable machine than previous generation consoles, despite the numbers. It doesn't come free. It requires budget and time to get better results. Those ports that looked better than their previous gen counterparts looked better for a reason. Those that looked worse, likewise. The machine is nowhere near strong enough to brute force better results.

S5vX8cX.gif

i owe you a drink sir. its like you stepped into my brain and said "no, let me handle this".

Overall it's slightly more powerful but it's clearly in the same ball park as ps360, and came out 8 years later, it's nintendo's fault for not making hardware much better then current gen for developers like Microsoft and especially sony did.

Overall it's slightly more powerful but it's clearly in the same ball park as ps360, and came out 8 years later, it's nintendo's fault for not making hardware much better then current gen for developers like Microsoft and especially sony did.

Since the Wii, Nintendo lives in its own bubble, for better (Wii) or worse (Wii U) but it is clear that the first third party batch of games were not optimized. It is a capable machine for 720p, even 60fps.

After some patches games like BOs 2 play great IMO.

But I agree that slapping ports on the Wii U is not enough, because most gamer will want the best version. Third parties are better off creating exclusives for the Wii U, adding features for the gamepad on the ports, or like it is happening, not releasing anything.

Top Bottom