• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sledghammer: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare not coming to Wii U, Treyarch not on game

Teletraan1

Banned
The die was cast a long time ago for the Wii U. It is a first party box. I bought one for the first party games. It is still too expensive:not enough games for a lot of people and I appreciate that but it sure has filled the void during this PS4 draught. I think the message is that outlier hardware should not expect support, it is too risky financially. You can still have hardware that is architecturally/power envelope similar to the other devices and still differentiate yourself. The two other consoles manage to do that. Even Nintendo's next rumoured console/handheld aims to do this yet they are so blind to the need for 3rd parties to not have to jump through financial hoops to make a game that will just end up selling poorly.

Sami+

Well, it sucks for the very very few who care about, obviously, but the vast majority of them just doesn't give a fuck (like myself), so I don't think it will hurt the Wii U nor would a release help it (because even CoD newcomers would rather get in on the systems with the most players).

This does not mean Wii U owners doesn't like FPS, they are just not interested in CoD.

What FPS sold well on Wii U?

MercuryLS

Banned
I really hope they can work with devs building a new system and providing a better online infrustructure. I'd love them to have a machine like the SNES was in the early 90s, great first party and a wealth of third party stuff plus it was comparable to the competition in the hardware.

That would basically be a PS4 with Nintendo games. I wish sometimes that Nintendo would just give up on hardware and just partner with Sony and get a sweetheart licensing deal with them where they get to keep the majority of the profits on their titles. With the lack of 3rd party titles on their consoles, they aren't making much when it comes to 3rd party royalties. They could gain a massive audience and I'm sure most Nintendo fans would have no problem buying a PS4 to get their Nintendo fix as well as major 3rd party titles. They could even release some of their crazy controllers with specific titles.

Oh c'mon. CoD is a franchise that has established 90% of their fanbase on Playstation and Xbox. People buy the version most of their friends will get (and that's PS4/Xbone). Since the franchise is getting an update almost every year, people got used to CoD being on those systems. They got used to their friends being there.

CoD will never sell well on a Nintendo console because the fanbase is somewhere else, the Wii was an exception. The Wii U successor will not come out earlier, because "OMG, CoD is not selling!".

Having CoD on the system is not enough to convince the dude-broish gamers to get a Nintendo console, so it really doesn't matter if CoD is on Wii U or not. I myself want new FPS IP's or sequels to successfull Wii shooters on Wii U to fill the FPS gab.

I'm pretty sure the CoD ports outsold almost all the wii exclusive shooters by a wide margin. I think Red Steel broke a million too, but that game disappointed everybody so hard that the completely-unrelated and much better sequel never got a fair chance to salvage things due to the toxic brand name. CoD WAS the successful wii shooter. It just got drowned out by the sheer scale of the brand's popularity elsewhere.

Then there was the RE4 port, I guess.

MilesTeg

Banned
Well, it sucks for the very very few who care about, obviously, but the vast majority of them just doesn't give a fuck (like myself), so I don't think it will hurt the Wii U nor would a release help it (because even CoD newcomers would rather get in on the systems with the most players).

This does not mean Wii U owners doesn't like FPS, they are just not interested in CoD.

Or they know that if they buy it, it will have a tiny player base where you can't play all the modes due to lack of players, nobody will have a mic, and that the game won't get DLC. Also, at least on BO2, league play wasn't available.

I know a couple of guys who loved BLOPS 2 on Wii U. They were really excited for AW :(

I'm more interested in Splatoon than COD:AW
Splatoon2.jpg

Fuck yeah! Who cares about third party support? It's not like the console is not getting games from everyo...

Oh.

Mithos

You have absolutely no way of knowing the financial status or ROI of the product. Making such assertions is completely asinine.

Ubisoft placed all their card on the table, we know how much
1. They spend on a Wii U port.
2. How much money they got for every $60/60 gamecopy sold.

So we can calculate "ish" how many copies need to be sold before breaking even again "ish". I seriously doubt Activision spends more money on Wii U ports.

Activision might end up making a small profit on the Wii U port after ASP reductions / retailer cuts / royalty fees / development costs of having 38 people dedicated to a port...but what's the point?

That IS the point, did they profit or not on their game, if not, then next game might be a bad idea, if profit, then maybe they could continue.

This is absolutely absurd.
It would take little to no effort to get this game on WiiU. The CoD engine is there, and they're making a 360/PS3 version.
For shame Activision.
Do you know the cost vs profit ratio of a Wii U port? No.

We're in no place to be able to discern that. They most likely realized the games sell like shit on the Wii U and the return doesn't justify the cost at the end of the day.

So we can calculate "ish" how many copies need to be sold before breaking even again "ish". I seriously doubt Activision spends more money on Wii U ports.

That IS the point, did they profit or not on their game, if not, then next game might be a bad idea, if profit, then maybe they could continue.

Very small, declining profits on a horribly-selling port doesn't make business sense for a company that relies on a few hit-driven titles to show investors YOY growth.

Maybe if Activision had a whole bunch of small projects, but this is Activision we're talking about.

Ludist210

I can't say I'm surprised at this point...Nintendo's kinda marching to the beat of their own drum with the Wii U (and the 3DS to a lesser extent). It's more of a first-party machine, indie games platform, and a retro console with little to no western third-party support and a little more (but not much more) Japanese third-party support. That suits my tastes for now, but I do wish there were a little more variety.

I'm a Nintendo fan, but chalk me up to wishing they'd strike some kind of partnership with Sony.

I bought BOs 2 on Wii U and skipped Ghosts, it is a bad game. I now have a PS4 and I would not get Ghosts either, but CoD AW looks a lot of fun, I am sad ´cause I really love my Wii U.

If Nintendo plans to carry its HW on its own, then it needs 2-3 more studios and more collabs. I am ok with this actually, as you get exclusive games instead of bad ports, but CoD was filling a huge void.

Are you aware of the term "Opportunity Cost"?

A binary profit-or-not evaluation doesn't make any sense. I could bust my ass all day to make $5. Does it make sense? No, because I could make a lot more doing something else.

prag16

Banned

There's also opportunity cost to consider of course. But even then, my thought was that maybe some amount of good will with Nintendo and the fan base would be seen as worthwhile. But maybe not.

If what Ubisoft said anywhere close to applies to Activision, it's such a small drop in the bucket in terms of the overall "CoD budget" that it's really no risk to them. As I said, how much did they spend to shit out a Transformers Wii U port recently? I can't imagine it came close to BO2 or even Ghosts numbers.

If Nintendo plans to carry its HW on its own, then it needs 2-3 more studios and more collabs. I am ok with this actually, as you get exclusive games instead of bad ports, but CoD was filling a huge void.

I'll own a PS4 eventually, but will never play a competitive online shooter using the diarrhea mess that is dual analog (it's okay enough for other games like action games, and even single player TPS's, etc).

But yeah, if carrying the hardware on their own is the plan, they need at least a couple more western studios to help with that (along with the collaboration type things they're already doing).

Mlatador

Banned
I'm pretty sure the CoD ports outsold almost all the wii exclusive shooters by a wide margin. I think Red Steel broke a million too, but that game disappointed everybody so hard that the completely-unrelated and much better sequel never got a fair chance to salvage things due to the toxic brand name. CoD WAS the successful wii shooter. It just got drowned out by the sheer scale of the brand's popularity elsewhere.

Then there was the RE4 port, I guess.

Many people owned a Wii next to their PS3 or Xb360. Combine that with the curiosity of FPS motion controls and it was no surprise the CoD games sold pretty well.

This generation the Wii U has struggled a lot right from the start, so many people who played those games may have not jumped on the Wii U bandwagon yet. Sales of the Wii U have only recently improved (and will very likely improve in the coming months and in 2015 when more of the must have titles come out).

Cod on Wii sold 1 or 2 million in total in an install base of 100 million. In 2013, when Cod Blobs2 and Ghosts game out, the Wii U was at 5 million, so those games abvously didn't sell well. I don't even knwo what Ubisoft is expecting. Wii U only gets 3rd Party ports, which just seem to not excite Wii U owners.

It was very unfortunate that Red Steel turned out so shitty. Ubisoft had a great chance to establish an new, Nintendo exclusive IP on their systems, which they could have made a successfull series out off, but it didn't happen. At least Ubisoft tried, although they could have maybe used a bit more recources to make Red Stell 1 a success.

Mithos

Are you aware of the term "Opportunity Cost"?

What do you want me to say? No I don't know or yes I do (I DO). I don't care because I just see it as an excuse to not do something, just like the "we made a 10 million dollar loss, when in fact we made an 20 million dollar profit".

When it comes to corporate speak I'm your worst enemy, DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH, if you will.

There's also opportunity cost to consider of course. But even then, my thought was that maybe some amount of good will with Nintendo and the fan base would be seen as worthwhile. But maybe not.

Yeah, that is kind what I was having running through my head too, but yeah I guess not....

Edit:
My first part of the reply ties in to what prag16 said about "good will" and that's why I answered the way I did.

That would basically be a PS4 with Nintendo games. I wish sometimes that Nintendo would just give up on hardware and just partner with Sony and get a sweetheart licensing deal with them where they get to keep the majority of the profits on their titles. With the lack of 3rd party titles on their consoles, they aren't making much when it comes to 3rd party royalties. They could gain a massive audience and I'm sure most Nintendo fans would have no problem buying a PS4 to get their Nintendo fix as well as major 3rd party titles. They could even release some of their crazy controllers with specific titles.

Nah, I'd rather they got their act together in certain aspects than team up with a Sony or Microsoft

Hip Hop

I'm very surprised about this. Maybe a future title COD will be released once again. The original Wii skipped COD games too, but then they were brought yearly afterwards. I hope it's a situation like that. This imo is the last nail in the coffin for the system as 3rd party sales go. It's looking dead now.

So no COD or AC going forward on the Wii U then. It's not too surprising considering but certainly dictates the notion that Wii U has the worst 3rd Party support of any Nintendo console besides maybe the Virtual Boy.

Their next console development and announcement should be really interesting to watch

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Man, how can anyone trust getting a Nintendo console as primary next generation? I mean, losing cod now? That shit is bleak.

Losing Madden was bleak.
Losing the WWE was even bleaker.
Losing CoD? You're system can't get any more toxic to third parties at this point.

Jethro

*insert Jim Carrey pic*

I think there's still a chance, because I don't think that Michael Condrey knows exatly what is going on at Treyarch. And even if he knows about it, it's not his "Duty" to confirm something like that.

Shame, Ghosts will probably be the last Wiimote FPS ever released... and with that I'll probably quit console FPS as well. No way I'll accept playing with that trashy aimbot crutch Dual Analog control scheme again.

prag16

Banned
*insert Jim Carrey pic*

I think there's still a chance, because I don't think that Michael Condrey knows exatly what is going on at Treyarch. And even if he knows about it, it's not his "Duty" to confirm something like that.

Yeah, this is reminiscent of some talk by IW around E3 2013. Though Condrey sounded a little more definitive than that.

I'm inclined to say this means nothing until Treyarch/Activision/etc confirm, but realistically the chances seem so close to zero that it's not really worth considering.

...suppose there's still hope for Metroid.

I'm holding out a little bit of hope for Devil's Third. Not holding my breath though. Fearing this would happen, I rebought BO2 last week. That'll give me my fix when I have the urge every now and then.

At least I have Black Ops 2.

Ghosts looked shitty and I saw a bit of the new one and it looked blah to me.

It's going to be a bit tough when Treyarch's next Call of Duty doesn't come out for the system though, they are the only team currently that make a memorable Call of Duty.

Confirmation of Call of Duty games on Nintendo platforms are always crazy. I would not be surprised if Advanced Warfare did end up on the wiiU. I'm holding out for Treyarch's next release though so it doesn't bother me one way or another. Nintendo really needs to invest in their own "dudebro" shooter.

Mudcrab

I don't think either of those things are ever factored in this case. It's not like Nintendo would ever make it difficult for Activistion to release any other product on their system and if Nintendo fans aren't buying your products to justify a port like this what use is their good will? I don't really know how you'd measure good will of a fan base anyway.

prag16

Banned
I don't expect someone who works at support to be privy to that information. This is coming from someone who did do support work for a bit.
If the official company line was "no Wii U version period", support people should be able to ascertain that.

Meaning even though it's not coming the official company line is still probably "no comment". Which is stupid.

Another example of the crazy amount of work Nintendo has ahead of them. They need to do something significant to keep third parties around.

Top Bottom