• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

sanstesy

I have a hard time believing it isn't because of cost reasons.

At the same time I could believe it's a design decision if they're really targeting kids.

I'm an adult though so it sucks for me. :(

Of course it's a design decision like with basically every other handheld released. Phones are replaced way faster & frequently than gaming handhelds and as a result have to be be functionally durable for way longer.

cluderi

Was a little worried about this.

Mines staying docked until the tempered glass protector arrives (supposedly posted today)

daxgame

I didn't fully understand the article...

If you gently slide it in and "miss" the USB-C prong, juggling the device into the slot (even carefully) eventually scrapes it against the hard insides of the dock, resulting in little hairline scratches that start to build up over time. There's no insulation or padding on the inside of the dock – so nothing protects the screen if you're clumsy.
what do they mean by "miss" the USB-C prong?
And most importantly I don't understand if this means that if you pay attention there is no problem

bs135

Is it just me or is the bottom of that blue joycon scratched as well? That part shouldn't even touch the dock.

An Open Letter to Stans:

Dear Stans,

Please don't continue to blame users for this stuff.

Please don't say "Of course that shit happens if you're careless"

or, "I don't ever watch Netflix on anything except an iPad so who cares"

or "Why would you want to play in a Hotel anyway?"

or "Most people will use it at home in the dock"

or "Nobody will ever use it in the dock anyway"

or "Bluetooth headphones are a nightmare anyway"

or "You already have ten devices that can do that."

or "Nobody plays for more than 2.5 hours at a stretch anyway"

or "would you treat a Faberge egg like that?"

or "friend codes are actually useful"

or "Why would you need a unique nickname?"

or "everyone using this also has a phone so no biggie"

etc.

Think all that stuff by all means. And if someone complains about something ludicrous, like, "I can't connect an eSATA drive to this," or "the screen should be 4K in mobile because the Pixel is" then go after them. But all the above are normal usage cases for normal people and it's actually OK if it's not perfect.

Every launch has a discovery period where flaws are noted and discussed. It's not a personal attack on you. And the Switch can still be awesome. I'm in Team All of the Above Affects my Usage Scenarios, but I am still looking forward to getting home and cracking it open (not literally lol).
Frank showing how old he is by using "stans"

Quonny

Ummm guys? This is one source.

Also the link to the screen protector in the article is an amazon referral link.

Seems legit.
This is way more convincing of this not being an issue than any of the other rationale in this thread.

ZOONAMI

So this seems like BS if there is an amazon referral link happening.

That pic looks like someone took a knife to the screen.

killatopak

Gold Member
....what's that got to do with scratching the screen in the Dock?

The article noted that this is because the screen is plastic.

I made another thread and my thread got merged with this one since I made my thread while the plastic bezels was being discussed here.

sanstesy

Even if this is #fakenews, someone has to do an docking endurance test now and see if this really is a problem. Who will potentially scratch his screen to death for the greater good here?

Mohonky

Makes the most sense to me too.

I'd imagine the Switch doesn't wobble when it's inside the dock - not to that extent anyway. Would have left vertical markings for sure.

It wobbles, I brought it up in my first impression post. It's not exactly an issue though, unless for whatever reason your furniture jumps around and the damage would be more likely to occur to the actual connector than the screen. For it to wobbly and cause those scratches it would have to be up and down motions, not back and forth because of the angle of the dock and the switch.

It's mechanically impossible short dragging the screen down the front of the dock or just being really non-chalant and fumbling the unit into the dock. If you don't, it's not an issue.

I would expect children will scratch the screen up for sure, but if you use any sort of smarts, it's not an issue.

Aspiring

Regardless of the articles intentions it most definetly will. Its nothing but hard plastic. In and out and over time will get scratches
Its a stupid design and as soon as I saw mine could not for the life of me get why it wasn't padded. Also the padding may have helped with the switch rocking when docked if touched because it also isn't secure in there.

OmegaX

Disgusting.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MR725H2..._ETAUybJKP44BP

That's the one I should be buying, right? As far as screen protectors goes, that is.
So what's the best screen protector? I plan on going between tv and portable a lot.

I bought this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9RG3XS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

My brother has that same brand on his phone and it's pretty good.

I don't see how this is possible. It's literally impossible for the Switch to touch the dock when you initially pull it out. Unless you're pulling it to you, it's impossible.
I'm guessing this is the case. Pulling it out at an angle towards you. I'll be careful until my screen protector arrives. Although I'm not planning on using it undocked a lot.

Red Devil

Every Switch design decission seems like a master plan to make you buy some accesory.

No dpad? Buy a Pro
Docking scratch it? buy a screen portector.
Grips doesn't charge it? Buy the charging grip.

Because a screen scratching is completely the same as not liking the D-Pad of the Joy-Con or a charging grip.

Today I can't tell if I'm reading GAF or /v/.

Also the link to the screen protector in the article is an amazon referral link.

Seems legit.
Lots of sites like this have features that automatically apply affiliate links to Amazon or similar sites. I don't envision anyone at Glixel rubbing their hands together maniacally thinking, "Hmm, how can we make money today by creating panic and fear."

Seems legit.

The giant bomb guys said the same thing in a recent podcast and that they are surprised it doesn't have more padding on the inside of the dock. sliding in and out all the time will eventually scratch the screen.

Noticed some marks made by the cushions from the dock. Still waiting for my screen protectors in the mail but I think I won't take any chance and by some cheap ones in the meantime.

Alucrid

Banned
uh, i'm pretty sure the ref= is just amazon noting how the user got to the product page. don't amazon affiliate links have tag=?

The giant bomb guys said the same thing in a recent podcast and that they are surprised it doesn't have more padding on the inside of the dock. sliding in and out all the time will eventually scratch the screen.
everyone knows giant bomb is run by hack frauds who stick things in their mouths just for clicks

YES and most people are impressed with the Switch screen. Nintendo never said it was a glass screen.

Wow and my Gameboy Advance (only handheld I ever had) also had a plastic screen?

I don't see the huge deal then? It's better for when you drop it, unlike you smartphones guys, which all broke. God, this place can be such a retarded circlejerk.

Sargon

I don't buy this scratching with proper usage, but I'm still going to hold out on docking my Switch until I get my screen protector. Unfortunately my Orzly tempered glass screen protector from Amazon is shipping today from overseas and won't be here for another 1-2 weeks.

MUnited83

For you.

Seems legit.

This is incorrect, it's not a amazon referral link. Amazon referral links have "tag", not "ref". "ref" is solely to track where the source of the link was from.

There's really no soft felt or any form of lining inside the dock?

KEeXSEi.jpg

The tiny grey thing at the side there is the padding Nintendo has graced us with. It's only in front too.

This is incorrect, it's not a amazon referral link. Amazon referral links have "tag", not "ref". "ref" is solely to track where the source of the link was from.
Also this.

People would rather believe that a site led by a storied industry veteran is trying to make a few dollars from referral links than that the Switch has a flaw. And it's not even true.

Top Bottom