• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

The Joy-Con desyncs and I can't play games!

-You're holding it wrong and LOL you didn't buy the $80 Pro-Con?

The screen is made of plastic and scratched!

-Dude, you didn't put a screen protector on that bad boy and you docked it improperly according to my opinion?

The frame rate gets worse when I dock the system!

-Naw man, that's Ocarina mode. It's a feature.
Don't forget "Nintendo is a toy company!! Stop judging them by the competition!!1!"

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
dKhD17t.png

Close..
B07ED0AD-F810-49A6-B724-59D9AB0E0554.png

Quonny

Screw screen protectors. I wonder if two of those little felt stickers you put underneath chairs/tables so they don't scratch the floor would work.

Hate screen protectors, so that might be an alternative fix.

Of course Nintendo would cheapen out, they have been doing it for the whole Switch, why would it stop there.

And obviously, people are blaming the consumer in this thread about how "they are not using the product right". Hint, if you blame the consumer you're already wrong, and yes that means Apple fucked up too before any quotes.

And??? What is the point? What is so bad about plastic? Is lighter and more durable. I don´t want the screen of my Switch to end up like 80% of the iphones I see around...totally shattered into pieces. PSP was plastic, Vita was plastic, 3DS was plastic......and now suddenly it is a deal breaker...I don´t get this, seriously...I wonder if next thing will be to complain about the fact that it is not carbon fiber or aluminium or whatever...
This is getting a bit out of hand. Feels like there is the need to find flaws in this piece of hardware just because now is fun and almost like a meme...

The Joy-Con desyncs and I can't play games!

-You're holding it wrong and LOL you didn't buy the $80 Pro-Con?

The screen is made of plastic and scratched!

-Dude, you didn't put a screen protector on that bad boy and you docked it improperly according to my opinion?

The frame rate gets worse when I dock the system!

-Naw man, that's Ocarina mode. It's a feature.
Literally nobody said any of those things. "Good thing I bought [X]" =/= "Good thing I bought [X], Nintendo did nothing wrong"

Lmao

lol @ people who think Nintendo will make a revision with a glass screen.

As for me personally, I just bought a screen protector and put it on ASAP. My phone's screen is glass and has some light scratching from going in and out of my pocket all day.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
And??? What is the point? What is so bad about plastic? Is lighter and more durable. I don´t want the screen of my Switch to end up like 80% of the iphones I see around...totally shattered into pieces. PSP was plastic, Vita was plastic, 3DS was plastic......and now suddenly it is a deal breaker...I don´t get this, seriously...I wonder if next thing will be to complain about the fact that it is not carbon fiber or aluminium or whatever...
This is getting a bit out of hand. Feels like there is the need to find flaws in this piece of hardware just because now is fun and almost like a meme...

I hated the plastic screens on Vita, PSP and 3DS.
Guess we prefer different materials? ::shock and awe::

Alucrid

Banned
doesn't seem that big of a deal to me. what i can't understand is why there isn't padding or a rubber strip on the inside of the dock

RedFyn

Yep.

It does look like he placed it in his pocket or bag with keys or coins, but I can't imagine anyone doing it on purpose as suggested before.
I mean I can see someone doing it for the clicks but I'm not going to accuse them of that. My guess would be that it happened outside the dock without them knowing and they saw it and assumed it was from the dock.

Until we know more of course

sanstesy

Where is the surprise here with the screen being plastic? This isn't because of cost reasons - it's an deliberate design decision. A revision won't suddenly have a glass screen. The dock scratching is not a deliberate design decision, though!

Gorilla Glass is pretty difficult to scratch. My phone has survived keys :)

Yes and plastic is pretty difficult to break.

Mohonky

It's cool, I think I'll trust people who do this for a living.

20170304_044032_zpsjxkf9akf.jpg

Sorry but if someone can't work out how to fit a system in that dock without the front of the screen sliding hard up against the front, then I don't know what to say.

I would have thought the obvious answer was to have some pressure toward the bottom and back against the rear of the dock, that way theres no pressure and no contact on the screen till it gets to the bottom where it just barely makes contact with the rubber there. That's how I've been putting the Switch in and removing it.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Ummm guys? This is one source.

Also the link to the screen protector in the article is an amazon referral link.

Seems legit.

DjRalford

This is one of the reasons the first thing i did was put on my daughters screen protector, that and shes 8, so it's more likely to get scratched

JoeM86

I don't see how this is possible. It's literally impossible for the Switch to touch the dock when you initially pull it out. Unless you're pulling it to you, it's impossible.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
An Open Letter to Stans:

Dear Stans,

Please don't continue to blame users for this stuff.

Please don't say "Of course that shit happens if you're careless"

or, "I don't ever watch Netflix on anything except an iPad so who cares"

or "Why would you want to play in a Hotel anyway?"

or "Most people will use it at home in the dock"

or "Nobody will ever use it in the dock anyway"

or "Bluetooth headphones are a nightmare anyway"

or "You already have ten devices that can do that."

or "Nobody plays for more than 2.5 hours at a stretch anyway"

or "would you treat a Faberge egg like that?"

or "friend codes are actually useful"

or "Why would you need a unique nickname?"

or "everyone using this also has a phone so no biggie"

etc.

Think all that stuff by all means. And if someone complains about something ludicrous, like, "I can't connect an eSATA drive to this," or "the screen should be 4K in mobile because the Pixel is" then go after them. But all the above are normal usage cases for normal people and it's actually OK if it's not perfect.

Every launch has a discovery period where flaws are noted and discussed. It's not a personal attack on you. And the Switch can still be awesome. I'm in Team All of the Above Affects my Usage Scenarios, but I am still looking forward to getting home and cracking it open (not literally lol).

killatopak

Gold Member
Where is the surprise here with the screen being plastic? This isn't because of cost reasons - it's an deliberate design decision. The dock scratching is not!

Yes and plastic is pretty difficult to break.

I have a hard time believing it isn't because of cost reasons.

At the same time I could believe it's a design decision if they're really targeting kids.

I'm an adult though so it sucks for me. :(

edit: lol thank you stinkles

how people can defend a design oversight is beyond me

Plastic.

Couldn't believe it when I opened my Switch this morning.

I was pretty disappointed with this when I first touched my screen during the setup. Was expecting my finger to slide but it had that fresh plastic stickyness to it lol

:/

these design choices are so frustrating

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I'm just saying, a single pic could have been intentionally forged to create a high-traffic article on launch day. This is the FIRST report we have heard of this, and no major gaming news site has reported it.

And I say again, they are using a referral link for a screen protector in their article.

TankRizzo

Banned
An Open Letter to Stans:

Dear Stans,

etc.

Think all that stuff by all means. And if someone complains about something ludicrous, like, "I can't connect an eSATA drive to this," or "the screen should be 4K in mobile because the Pixel is" then go after them. But all the above are normal usage cases for normal people and it's actually OK if it's not perfect.

Every launch has a discovery period where flaws are noted and discussed. It's not a personal attack on you. And the Switch can still be awesome. I'm in Team All of the Above Affects my Usage Scenarios, but I am still looking forward to getting home and cracking it open (not literally lol).
Why would anyone move to a place where there's slow internet?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
YES and most people are impressed with the Switch screen. Nintendo never said it was a glass screen.

Remember, just because I hate the material used over a screen, doesn't mean I hate the display behind it. I'm sure it looks great.

I just prefer the feel and aesthetic of glass.
Including some of the other benefits.

koss424

I feel like we might need a dedicated thread to keep up with all the Switch issues,

-Left Joy-Con desync.
-Spotty Wi-Fi & can't access public Wi-Fi if a web browser is needed for user agreement.
-Screen gets scratched by poor dock design.
-Frame-rate worsens in docked/TV mode.
-Charging trouble/confusion - poorly indication on when the battery is being drained and when it's properly being charged.

Seems like Nintendo really rushed this bad boy out of the door.

actually non of those are legitimate issues. There is a question whether the left Joy Con was patched, but the rest are not proven other than increase your tech website's view count.

An Open Letter to Stans:

Dear Stans,

etc.

Thank you.

Seriously. Nintendo is not immune to criticism like Sony and MS were on launch day. Zelda is fucking amazing but stop making excuses for Nintendo. He's a big boy now, okay? He can handle this shit.

killatopak

Gold Member
I'm just saying, a single pic could have been intentionally forged to create a high-traffic article on launch day. This is the FIRST report we have heard of this, and no major gaming news site has reported it.

And I say again, they are using a referral link for a screen protector in their article.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/03/hardware_review_nintendo_switch_nintendos_most_important_console_yet

our review unit picked up a mark within 24 hours despite being handled with utmost care – so you'll almost certainly want to purchase some kind of carry case if you're looking to take it out of the house, and perhaps even a screen protector.

I don't see how the Switch's screen being plastic is an issue, also how would you scratch your screen with the dock? The dock looks like its molded into smooth plastic, it's not a fucking cheese grater lol

mindatlarge

Nice catch. Smells even more like BS after you pointed that out.

Skyzard

Banned
I mean I can see someone doing it for the clicks but I'm not going to accuse them of that. My guess would be that it happened outside the dock without them knowing and they saw it and assumed it was from the dock.

Makes the most sense to me too.

I'd imagine the Switch doesn't wobble when it's inside the dock - not to that extent anyway. Would have left vertical markings for sure.

-------EHH I'm a dumbass, was looking at the picture the wrong way, they are vertical markings....not so sure now. A slight wobble when lifting it out could have made the scratches slightly more horizontal like they are.

Top Bottom