• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

bobeth

Guys it's a machine not a Picasso

I have a $10,000 guitar and it's covered with scratches. Each scratch is a story and makes the instrument cooler. Ever heard of distressing? Golden Goose Deluxe Brand sneakers?

You sound like a bunch of old women. Git gud.
-Hey, you remember when Nintendo was still in the hardware business, and made a tablet?
-WTF are you serious lol?
-Yeah, let me show you..

dafodeu

I called Nintendo support as my dock is severely bent like those photos. They said that they hadn't heard of this issue before. He said he had to check with his manager.

He came back and they didn't even want me to do a repair with them they said take it back to the store for an exchange which I replied they are all out of stock and that I can't transfer save files so that is out of the question when I just need a dock. He said well the store should have plenty of docks available see if you can just switch that out, that the serial number on the dock is different anyway. I said I didn't see any docks or hear that they were selling them in store at all yet. He said oh no we shipped lots of docks to retailers with all our other accessories. Is this true cause I'll just go buy a Dock but I don't think it is?

Finally I convinced him to do a repair and he is emailing me a return shipping label says I just need to return the dock and they will repair it if there is something wrong with it. Do you think they will even notice the bent dock? I have little faith in Nintendo Repair center. He also said he would do this dock repair as a 1 time courtesy. What does that even mean.

Ugh, I'm tempted to just bend my dock outwards a little bit and hope the plastic doesn't snap. Ridiculous.

I called Nintendo support as my dock is severely bent like those photos. They said that they hadn't heard of this issue before. He said he had to check with his manager.

He came back and they didn't even want me to do a repair with them they said take it back to the store for an exchange which I replied they are all out of stock and that I can't transfer save files so that is out of the question when I just need a dock. He said well the store should have plenty of docks available see if you can just switch that out, that the serial number on the dock is different anyway. I said I didn't see any docks or hear that they were selling them in store at all yet. He said oh no we shipped lots of docks to retailers with all our other accessories. Is this true cause I'll just go buy a Dock but I don't think it is?

Finally I convinced him to do a repair and he is emailing me a return shipping label says I just need to return the dock and they will repair it if there is something wrong with it. Do you think they will even notice the bent dock? I have little faith in Nintendo Repair center. He also said he would do this dock repair as a 1 time courtesy. What does that even mean.

Include a letter with the dock specifically pointing out the error. Don't expect them to do proper documentation.

Cepheus

I caved in and ordered an Orzly screen protector. Hopefully that will be enough to stop the scratching since my dock's pretty much straight. Not putting it back in the dock until it arrives.

Slaythe

I haven't docked mine yet, and likely won't until I tear the dock apart and construct something better. Padding and screen protectors seem ineffective against a warping dock opening.

I feel sorry for anybody who puts their Switch into this thing. It's the selling point of the system and you shouldn't use it. That's not good.

How in the fuck are glass screen protectors ineffective .... ?

RobotVM

Day 3 of owning my switch I already see a few scratches. Went directly to game store and bought a screen protector while I wait on my good one to come in. My screen is full of bubbles but better that then more scratches. What the hell was Nintendo thinking when they made the guides plastic instead of rubber. We really are beta testing this system.

Rodin

I caved in and ordered an Orzly screen protector. Hopefully that will be enough to stop the scratching since my dock's pretty much straight. Not putting it back in the dock until it arrives.

If you want to dock it you can put one of these on the front of the dock before sliding the console in and again before taking it out. It's ridiculous but at least you'll be sure to avoid scratches until the tempered glass arrives, just make sure that it's clean, that it covers the entire panel and that it doesn't make putting or taking out the console "forced".

Wonder what would of happened if you asked him for a SKU. pretty sure they aren't selling docks... lol

Day 3 of owning my switch I already see a few scratches. Went directly to game store and bought a screen protector while I wait on my good one to come in. My screen is full of bubbles but better that then more scratches. What the hell was Nintendo thinking when they made the guides plastic instead of rubber. We really are beta testing this system.

Is your dock straight or bent?

It might be useful to start figuring out whether this is a dock being bent kind of situation. If some are seeing scratches on their screen, it would be great if you could post whether your dock seems straight or bent. Thanks!

He told me they were selling them in store along with all the other accessories he said I should be able to get one at Target which is not the case.

I was responding to the poster that doubted they were even selling them. I'm not talking about availability at retail.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I've spent more time worrying about this then I actually have playing the thing. I'm honestly about to just say fuck it and stop giving a shit if I get scratches. I won't really care once the new device honeymoon is over anyway.

Ellite25

It makes me very sad that I'm having to worry about scratches on my brand new $300 gaming system because Nintendo couldn't make a better dock. It's unacceptable.

I'm doing the same thing tomorrow. Not using my dock until I get a different one. There is much less space at the top versus the bottom of the dock. It is clearly bent towards the back.

ghibli99

Are those actual scratches or just marks that rub right off with your finger? I find it a little hard to believe that a glass screen would get etched by rubbing against plastic.

The_Lump

Banned
Still not noticed a scratch on mine. At most, I can see a faint smudge where the dock must me touching whatever residue is on the screen.

Having looked closely, I still can't see how flat plastic is going to scratch check the screen unless there is grit or something stuck between the two.

Still, I tend to make sure the back of the switch is the bit in contact when I slide it in. Plenty of room on my dock to do this.

Drain You

Are those actual scratches or just marks that rub right off with your finger? I find it a little hard to believe that a glass screen would get etched by rubbing against plastic.

It's not glass, its a plastic screen.

Edit: Badly beaten. Do we know yet is Usb C extenders work yet? I'm surprised nobody who has a switch has tried that yet.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I went to look for a usb c extender. Wont arrive until later in the week.

I have a bent dock not sure what to do though. I am looking into dismantling my dock.

Ellite25

Nintendo haven't designed crooked dock, it's probably just shipping and stuff.
Regardless they should have made the material that potentially touches the screen something that wouldn't cause scratches. They should have made the dock open faced. They should have used better material that wouldn't bend. Instead they give you a tiny slot to put in into and it makes no sense. I was messing with my dock right now, it's impossible for me to slide the console into the dock without it touching the hard plastic. It's a terrible design.

Poppyseed

I went to look for a usb c extender. Wont arrive until later in the week.

I have a bent dock not sure what to do though. I am looking into dismantling my dock.

My dock is bent, too. Is there a way to disassemble it and reassemble it straight? Like maybe the screws are going in somewhere crooked?

5XPf7mS.jpg

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Still not noticed a scratch on mine. At most, I can see a faint smudge where the dock must me touching whatever residue is on the screen.

Having looked closely, I still can't see how flat plastic is going to scratch check the screen unless there is grit or something stuck between the two.

Still, I tend to make sure the back of the switch is the bit in contact when I slide it in. Plenty of room on my dock to do this.

Mine is bent inwards. I stuffed a book in there to attempt to bend it outwards. Will see how that goes.

My dock is bent, too. Is there a way to disassemble it and reassemble it straight? Like maybe the screws are going in somewhere crooked?

5XPf7mS.jpg

I need to go get an ifixit kit. Can't find my tri-screw bit.

In reality i need to take a heat gun to the thing so it can be bent.

Mine is bent inwards. I stuffed a book in there to attempt to bend it outwards. Will see how that goes.

I need to go get an ifixit kit. Can't find my tri-screw bit.

In reality i need to take a heat gun to the thing so it can be bent.

I'm trying to bend mine out with a hardcover book as well. Hopefully it works

This is a shitty comparison. You're comparing a guitar whose function is to make sound to a tablet whose function is to DISPLAY content.

Of course people will feel some kind of way when their displays get scratched.
You apparently don't realize what the problem is - the display will never get scratched unless you are crazy uncareful. There are rails that face the screen on the left and right sides, those rails if they scratch anything will scratch the black bezel, not the part which displays content.

Ibuki

Banned
Mine scratched already and it's not even from the dock. I have barely used it out of the dock and I have been babying it this whole time.

This is very disappointing.

Persona7

Banned
Comparing the two docks I have and they both tilt inward. This also explains the weird effect I saw when docking that looked like when you apply pressure to a LCD screen and it distorts. My replacement switch is never going in the damn dock. Can't even trust the screen protectors because they are melting from the heat.

linkboy

Comparing the two docks I have and they both tilt inward. This also explains the weird effect I saw when docking that looked like when you apply pressure to a LCD screen and it distorts. My replacement switch is never going in the damn dock. Can't even trust the screen protectors because they are melting from the heat.

Go with a glass one, they won't melt.

I used my hardback FF15 strat guide, slid it inside of the dock to bend it out. After about an hour and 15 minutes the dock is much much straighter than it was. I'm going to leave it in there for a few more hours. It seems as if the book in the dock method will work in straightening it if it's bent inward like mine was.

Yoda

Given how meticulously designed the Switch seems to be, it's strange the dock has so many flaws. On the front-backside you'll see two pieces of the plastic protruding from the wall, It's marginally smoother than the rest of the plastic (you really need to rub both surfaces for awhile to tell). A small amount of industrial grade wax would've sufficed (and costed next to nothing).

Top Bottom