• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

SRTtoZ

Wow are a lot of docks bent? I just looked and luckily mine is perfectly straight but I have to imagine that the docks that are bent in are the ones scratching the units?

Business

Just checked mine and it's bent in too. Not an awful lot, between 1 and 2 mm at the top when checking if it's square. Will examine it further and if I see the scatch danger is real on mine I may just dremel the rails away.

God damnit.. my dock is bent. However I have taken it out of the dock countless times and I have zero scratches *crosses fingers*.

If you have a book you can put it inside of it to bend it the other way. I've had my FF15 hardback guide carefully put in mine for about 2 hours and it's very straight now and before it was super bent in (I can't believe that I didn't notice but honestly I never thought to check before reading this thread). I'm gonna leave it in there overnight but as of right now the book has worked wonders.

That was damn impressive, but so difficult to watch. (Seeing it all gummy in slomo was cool though.) Guess not going the glass route was the best route after all.

Impossible to shatter the screen when it's plastic. I mean he was basically trying to destroy it at the end and it was taking it like a champ.

You just have to make sure to put a screen protector on it for incidental scratching because it's plastic and more easy to scratch than glass. It's interesting that tempered glass screen protectors can and do shatter, I've dropped my phone before and shattered the screen protector but that's what it for, the screen survived unharmed.

neoglow

Banned
Can someone post a link to the usb c cable we think we can use so we don't have to actually doc the system? Preferably from Amazon or locally sold at best buy and I will buy to test.

Something like this.

One issue with a cable. The USB-C port on the dock is spring loaded, so it may not work without the weight of the Switch pushing down on it.

Just get a USB to USB C. If you buy the Pro Controller it comes with one that can be used to charge pro controller and the switch system itself.

I doubt the springs would be strong enough to force the cable out of the connection.

From what I can see of the docks design is the larger end of the USB C cable (male end? with a blade inside it) would push down against that spring loaded plate to make the connection. The only possible issue here is if the cable physically fits inside the docks gulley and connects securely. Buying the slimmest cable possible is key here.

Using the controller USB cable won't work as it has a normal USB connector on one end. You need a C type on both ends.

I'd be surprised - happy to be proven wrong - if the USB C design for the Switch is exclusive. This would mean buying only a certified Switch compatible cable to do this job if a manufacturer starts making them.

I wish I had a Switch myself as I'd test this for confirmation but hopefully someone will try. Do so at your own risk but honestly, even if it doesn't work, momentarily trying shouldn't damage anything really. Put it this way, you'll know if it works pretty quickly so if it starts charging and passes the video signal to your TV, it's probably safe to say it works.

ohNOitsRO

Why people would even use tablet like device without a screen protector is beyond me. As far as I'm concerned, you guys deserve that shit lol.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Who needs a dock at all when you can have this!

kp7LJHB.jpg

Drain You

Why people would even use tablet like device without a screen protector is beyond me. As far as I'm concerned, you guys deserve that shit lol.

I've been using my Surface Pro 3 in tablet mode since it came out and it doesn't have a single scratch on it. I also use my t shirt to clean the screen usually and not a nice microfiber cloth. This is a terrible line of thinking on your part imho.

Wondering what if any Nintendos reaction to all this will be in both the long and short term.

linkboy

I doubt the springs would be strong enough to force the cable out of the connection.

From what I can see of the docks design is the larger end of the USB C cable (male end? with a blade inside it) would push down against that spring loaded plate to make the connection. The only possible issue here is if the cable physically fits inside the docks gulley and connects securely. Buying the slimmest cable possible is key here.

The dock has a male USB-C connector in it (and the system has a female). I was't saying that the springs would force the cable out of the connection. What I'm wondering is if there's enough weight on the end of the cable to push the springs down to maintain the connection.

MrFlooD

The dock has a male USB-C connector in it (and the system has a female). I was't saying that the springs would force the cable out of the connection. What I'm wondering is if there's enough weight on the end of the cable to push the springs down to maintain the connection.

The spring has very little force. I tested it when I took my dock apart. I think a stanard extension cable would be more than enough to keep it surpressed.

eoa-swam

The spring has very little force. I tested it when I took my dock apart. I think a stanard extension cable would be more than enough to keep it surpressed.

Indeed that spring has little force. You could probably tape it down if need be if the USB cable was a little loose.

If you have a book you can put it inside of it to bend it the other way. I've had my FF15 hardback guide carefully put in mine for about 2 hours and it's very straight now and before it was super bent in (I can't believe that I didn't notice but honestly I never thought to check before reading this thread). I'm gonna leave it in there overnight but as of right now the book has worked wonders.

Thanks for the advice. I'll leave a book in it overnight.

maxcriden

I'm using the packaging material that came with the Switch and I'm concerned about the pressure. I wonder if it's safe to take it off now that we know about some docks not being straight. I checked and mine is straight. If that's the only thing causing issues then I should be fine, but I'm not sure if it is.

Same here... If it is the only thing that's causing the issues, I think I might take the packaging material I put on the dock back off. I think my dock is straight. I can't tell for sure.

wyNOxq1l.jpg

Thanks guys. Yeah I can't tell if mine is either. Maybe we should be measuring the gaps in ours. I don't want any of us to get problems from the pressure against the screen.

Here is my book update

After almost 4 hours I pulled the book out and it's MUCH straighter than it was. Before it was leaning in pretty heavily now it's almost perfectly straight. I'm going to leave the book in for a few more hours but it really seems like this is a way to straighten the inward tilt dock if you have a book the right thickness.

AtlAntA

Here is my book update

After almost 4 hours I pulled the book out and it's MUCH straighter than it was. Before it was leaning in pretty heavily now it's almost perfectly straight. I'm going to leave the book in for a few more hours but it really seems like this is a way to straighten the inward tilt dock if you have a book the right thickness.

Will it bend back after you take the book out though?

Risette

A Good Citizen
Mine is warped :(

I wonder what kind of plastic they made it from. It probably warped as it cooled in the factory.

Will it bend back after you take the book out though?

I took it out for about 30 minutes and it still seemed very straight, it hadn't went back to the way it was. I can't say that it wouldn't bend back after a few hours. That's why I'm going to leave the book in it for awhile longer.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Book stretching seems to be working. The outside plastic piece is definitely closer to 90 degrees now. I plan to take a heat gun to the thing tomorrow though.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Yeah I was thinking of heatgunning or using a hairdryer with the book in to re-warp the plastic back into place.

I'll let someone else try first though!

Here is my book update

This sounds better than dealing with customer service. I'll give it a shot and see how it works.

I'm not too worried about this but am going to take preventive measures just in case. I take it two, simple round felt adhesive stoppers on the top left and right inside should probably be sufficient?

So much for the so-called "premium" build quality.

Silly me for assuming Ninty would put a modern gorilla glass screen on this thing...

Instead we get a cheap-ass plastic screen that's easily scratchable...

...by a chintzy fucking dock that comes bent out of shape with people stuffing books into 'em to straighten 'em out? What the hell is going on at Nintendo...?

I might as well keep my primary Switch since I paid almost nothing for it after trade-ins. But I'm not even taking it out of the packaging until I get a glass screen protector. My 2nd Switch is going back. Fuck that.

Why wasn't build quality covered in more reviews? What a cluster-fuck.

Silly me for assuming Ninty would put a modern gorilla glass screen on this thing...

...by a chintzy fucking dock that comes bent out of shape with people stuffing books into 'em to straighten 'em out? What the hell is going on at Nintendo...?

I might as well keep my primary Switch since I paid almost nothing for it after trade-ins. But I'm not even taking it out of the packaging until I get a glass screen protector. My 2nd Switch is going back. Fuck that.

I wonder if any reviewers got bent docks too but didn't notice. It seemed like no one here really noticed until someone pointed it out (and now there are lots of examples).

I wonder if any reviewers got bent docks too but didn't notice. It seemed like no one here really noticed until someone pointed it out (and now there are lots of examples).

Totally possible. I 100% didn't notice until I saw the pictures. My screen protector had already gotten scratched but I didn't think about the dock being bent. Once I checked I was like, holy hell how did I not notice this damn thing.

jts

...hate me...

Nintendo Switch's screen is extremely hard to crack on drops, unlike any kind of glass, gorilla or not.

And Nintendo has always been all about durability.

Meanwhile my iPhone 6s+ display that cost 3x a Nintendo Switch, also scratches like hell even with glass.

hlhbk

Alright, so I took the plunge and removed the faceplate.

Good News:
- Works Perfect
- Allows me to place the system in my entertainment unit
- Super easy to do *as long as you have a Y-Tip screwdriver

Cons:
- Ugly
- Not as easy to dock

Now with Pics:
oGHhAyP.jpg

GhBiETY.jpg

Ok I have taken all the screws put of the back of the dock. How do I get the faceplate off? It doesn't want to budge.

mrk8885

Banned
1/2 inch felt tape came in from Amazon pretty quickly. Cheap fix and still not going to rock a screen protector.

That looks great! I've got no scratches and think my dock is straight but I want to do this anyways. Just to confirm, 1/2 inch is big enough to cover the bunker?

Team No screen Protector :)

Can you link me the tape you got?

Is there an official name for those rubber pads/bumpers Nintendo put inside the lower part of the dock? I want to buy some, but I don't really know what to search for..

Top Bottom