• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

hlhbk

Can someone post a link to the usb c cable we think we can use so we don't have to actually doc the system? Preferably from Amazon or locally sold at best buy and I will buy to test.

nampad

You apparently don't realize what the problem is - the display will never get scratched unless you are crazy uncareful. There are rails that face the screen on the left and right sides, those rails if they scratch anything will scratch the black bezel, not the part which displays content.

So it's ok for you? Even if it is, it isn't for other people.

Vitacat

To you guys who did get scratches, please tell me you had screen protectors on?

To anyone who is still actively refusing to use a screen protector, you WILL get scratches, one way or the other. If a screen protector gets scratched, it's $8 to replace. Or nothing if you bought a brand that includes several in the package. If your Switch gets scratched, you either live with the damage, or you pay $300 for a new one. Your choice.

Meffer

My velcro strips came in and I placed them along the ridges and covering the rubber. It's a snug fit that's for sure. Gotta wait wait for my amFilm screen protectors though they won't come in till the 15th or so.

To anyone who is still actively refusing to use a screen protector for, you WILL get scratches, one way or the other. If a screen protector gets scratched, it's $8 to replace. If you're Switch gets scratched, you either live with the damage, or you pay $300 for a new one. Your choice.

I haven't gotten more than maybe two or three total scratches on any of my devices (all together) and have never used a screen protector before. Scratches should never be expected through normal use.

Run-ERIC

Neo Member

To anyone who is still actively refusing to use a screen protector, you WILL get scratches, one way or the other. If a screen protector gets scratched, it's $8 to replace. If you're Switch gets scratched, you either live with the damage, or you pay $300 for a new one. Your choice.

Seems if that's the case, Nintendo should have had a disclaimer and included a screen protector in the box.

Slaythe

To anyone who is still actively refusing to use a screen protector, you WILL get scratches, one way or the other. If a screen protector gets scratched, it's $8 to replace. Or nothing if you bought a brand that includes several in the package. If your Switch gets scratched, you either live with the damage, or you pay $300 for a new one. Your choice.

Saves can't be transferred, so replacing the switch isn't even a solution.

LQX

no... NO... NOOOOOOO

Ow0kL_f-maxage-0.gif

We're never going to be safe are we ?

That's it, Switch is exclusively a handled from now on.

Just don't drop it.

Vitacat

I haven't gotten more than maybe two or three total scratches on any of my devices and have never used a screen protector before. Scratches should never be expected.
Do what you want. But you've been warned. This thread more than proves the Switch screen surface is susceptible to scratching.
Seems if that's the case, Nintendo should have had a disclaimer and included a screen protector in the box.
Yes, they should include one. Or even better, have one applied at the factory.

TwiztidElf

I'm honestly about to just say fuck it and stop giving a shit if I get scratches. I won't really care once the new device honeymoon is over anyway.
Yeah, this is sort of how I feel. Not disrespecting the people panicking over this at all - I get it. But for me, I just don't care.

This isn't some golden device on a pedestal that I'm going to cherish my whole life and have buried with me when I die.
It's just a consumer device. 3-4 years down the track, if screen scratches are bothering me, I'll just get a new cheaper, revised model Switch anyhow.

SummitAve

Banned

How easy would the screen itself be to replace? I haven't looked at the ifixit rating or whatever there was a thread about that reviewed its repairability.

Slaythe

It is the case, and this is from the "brand" that did not even include a charger for its new 3DS and 3DS XL.......

They give no fuck. The screen is plastic, you don't protect it, it literally has a 2 weeks survival notice. No hyperbole. Anything will scratch it.

We have a gaffer here that ended up with a scratch because of MICROFIBERS.

Yeah, but the adhesive doesn't hold up according to reviews.

In that same reddit thread there is one guy with the same product and everything is fine for him. The OP only let the adhesive settle for 30min before subjecting it to the heat that the console makes, that is probably the problem. The console doesn't even heat that much.

Biske

I haven't gotten more than maybe two or three total scratches on any of my devices (all together) and have never used a screen protector before. Scratches should never be expected through normal use.

This is true.

I don't give a fuck about scratches usually, cause they are rare.

Whats also rare is buying a device that slides into a dock where there are plastic rails to rub against the screen. There is a reason when you get a carrying case for things its a soft non scratch material inside, you know THE PART THAT WILL COME INTO CONTACT WITH THE SCREEN, and not plastic.

This isn't anything new for nintendo seeing as how they botched the 3DS in the same way.

Whoever is making these devices, they need to put some thought into what touches the screen.

Guys it's a machine not a Picasso

I have a $10,000 guitar and it's covered with scratches. Each scratch is a story and makes the instrument cooler. Ever heard of distressing? Golden Goose Deluxe Brand sneakers?

You sound like a bunch of old women. Git gud.

This is the best troll post I've read in weeks, serious kudos fam

I just want to repost my response from the other thread here.

I think we're kind of in uncharted territory right now. It seems pretty much all screen protectors are having issues reported. I'm imagining it's probably friction from sliding In and out that's causing sheering between the screen protector and the screen. I just can't believe it would be heat. The device doesn't seem to actually get that hot, even while docked, at least not hot enough to seriously warp plastic or melt adhesive that's rated for reasonably high temperatures. If that's the case we're looking at much worse issues than our screen protector adhesives warping.

My recommendation for now if you're going to moleskin or felt route is just to apply it to the front side only. I'm going to stick with electrical tape for now because it hardly impacts the fit being extremely thin and I can clean it easily. I really can't speak to any issues for me at this point. That doesn't mean I might now have some down the line though.

We need someone to run a heat map on the Switch while it's docked... But that doesn't seems like it would be all that easy. Maybe someone who's already removed the front plate? Obviously it would potentially run cooler, but I can't imagine the plastic front of the dock causes it to change much in terms of temp.

btkadams

I just want to repost my response from the other thread here.

I think we're kind of in uncharted territory right now. It seems pretty much all screen protectors are having issues reported. I'm imagining it's probably friction from sliding In and out that's causing sheering between the screen protector and the screen. I just can't believe it would be heat. The device doesn't seem to actually get that hot, even while docked, at least not hot enough to seriously warp plastic or melt adhesive that's rated for reasonably high temperatures. If that's the case we're looking at much worse issues than our screen protector adhesives warping.

My recommendation for now if you're going to moleskin or felt route is just to apply it to the front side only. I'm going to stick with electrical tape for now because it hardly impacts the fit being extremely thin and I can clean it easily. I really can't speak to any issues for me at this point. That doesn't mean I might now have some down the line though.

We need someone to run a heat map on the Switch while it's docked... But that doesn't seems like it would be all that easy. Maybe someone who's already removed the front plate? Obviously it would potentially run cooler, but I can't imagine the plastic front of the dock causes it to change much in terms of temp.
What exactly is the issue with screen protectors? Feeling late to the party. I have the official Nintendo case and screen protector delivering in a couple days. Is it one of the ones with issues?

hlhbk

I am about to head to best buy for a couple things. Can someone please post what type of cable in am looking for to connect the switch to the dock without putting it in the dock?

branny

Isn't there sometimes that "halo" around the edges of glass screen protectors for phones? Maybe it's that. The adhesive could be lifting up because of heat or the Switch dock not cooperating with additional thickness. Who knows. This whole issue sucks. A plastic screen is nicer for drop durability but not when you're scared to death of scratching it with the dock or a case or something in your pocket/bag.

Soi-Fong

Comparing the two docks I have and they both tilt inward. This also explains the weird effect I saw when docking that looked like when you apply pressure to a LCD screen and it distorts. My replacement switch is never going in the damn dock. Can't even trust the screen protectors because they are melting from the heat.

I have the premium screen protector. They slightly form bubbles near the the bottom when hot and around the edges, but it never lifts off. In room temp and cool temps, its not a ptoblem. It's better than having no protection.

Friday, the first thing I did was put on the screen protector after taking it out of the plastic from the box.

What exactly is the issue with screen protectors? Feeling late to the party. I have the official Nintendo case and screen protector delivering in a couple days. Is it one of the ones with issues?

Seems to be bubbling, warping pulling and for the tempered glass ones they say "Melted" but it looks more like the bottom/corner adhesive is being pulled at maybe?

This is from the one Reddit thread. Have we heard about many others having issues with tempered glass as well?

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Yeah, this is sort of how I feel. Not disrespecting the people panicking over this at all - I get it. But for me, I just don't care.

This isn't some golden device on a pedestal that I'm going to cherish my whole life and have buried with me when I die.
It's just a consumer device. 3-4 years down the track, if screen scratches are bothering me, I'll just get a new cheaper, revised model Switch anyhow.

I'm getting to this point. So long as the scratches are on the bezel I can deal. I'm not going to lose sleep over this and I'm not as crafty as the people in this thread who are damned near building their own docks.

This situation sucks, but it is what it is I guess.

I have the premium screen protector. They slightly form bubbles near the the bottom when hot and around the edges, but it never lifts off. In room temp and cool temps, its not a ptoblem. It's better than having no protection.

Friday, the first thing I did was put on the screen protector after taking it out of the plastic from the box.

Oh boy I haven't had that issue yet, but I haven't played long for long periods of time in docked mode yet. How freaking hot is the device getting at the bottom and why?

linkboy

One issue with a cable. The USB-C port on the dock is spring loaded, so it may not work without the weight of the Switch pushing down on it.

Dueck

Banned
Given how meticulously designed the Switch seems to be, it's strange the dock has so many flaws. On the front-backside you'll see two pieces of the plastic protruding from the wall, It's marginally smoother than the rest of the plastic (you really need to rub both surfaces for awhile to tell). A small amount of industrial grade wax would've sufficed (and costed next to nothing).
This problem, the desyncing joycons, the battery life, etc., do not indicate meticulous design. "No problems" would. They wanted to do too many things and rush it to market. They ensured it wouldn't have a RRoD equivalent or utterly fall apart, but it seems like that was the line.

This problem, the desyncing joycons, the battery life, etc., do not indicate meticulous design. "No problems" would. They wanted to do too many things and rush it to market. They ensured it wouldn't have a RRoD equivalent or utterly fall apart, but it seems like that was the line.

Battery life is good?

There isn't much that can be done when it comes to battery life though. They crammed as big of a battery they could. Battery tech sucks. That's the way it is.

The left joycon losing connection is absolute garbage. I really don't see how that one got past QA. Seems like one of the first things to do is to see how far away you can play without losing connection.

DESTROYA

Its official I was rarely planning on using the dock to begin with now I just hope Nintendo comes out with a cheaper SKU without the dock.
This is just stupid shit.

SRTtoZ

Some screen protectors are class A dogshit and after a few years melt to your screen, so when you take it off it leaves a terrible residue behind. The only ones I use now are Zagg but I'm not sure they even make one for Switch yet.

Slaythe

There isn't much that can be done when it comes to battery life though. They crammed as big of a battery they could. Battery tech sucks. That's the way it is.

The left joycon losing connection is absolute garbage. I really don't see how that one got past QA. Seems like one of the first things to do is to see how far away you can play without losing connection.

I laughed because you said "QA".

Whatever this crap got, it sure as hell wasn't "QA".

Top Bottom